New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XLVIII: I say Ol' Chap, how about those Equestrians?

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    What terrified me is the fact that people on /b/ of all places were capable of feeling love and compassion, which puts it into direct contradiction of everything I've seen and heard about the place
    That's the correct reason for finding that terrifying. Finding out that the ennui and cynicism of our times is not, after all, an unavoidable unreverseable fate does kind of throw your world-view off, potentially.

It's the possibility of the triumph of sincerity over irony and that's genuinely frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Hard to say, considering how little we know about her.

Let's say Blueblood, simply because there are so few ships with him that would work anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    And for the Blueblood haters out there, think of the possible names of the fillies! Spitblood and Bluefire. There were no survivors.
    Spitfire/Blueblood is an appropriately unlikely pairing for this question, I think. The pun names for children (or perhaps more appropriately to label the ship?) just make it that much better. Perhaps someone more familiar with the protocol of shipping can enlighten us on the correct name for the ship?

Ah, there we go. How about Spittruck for a ship? Spitfire/Hayseed Turnip-Truck?

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    ?, is that part of the anime? cuz only two I used were Nidoking and gyarados and they just ate everything in general

...wait, it's a hedgehog and that's actually a second form?
    Yes and yes. (Though when Ash's Pikachu infamously "aimed for the horn", it was a Rhydon, not a Nidoking. The meme still works, though.)

As for the second, Shaymin's a Legendary pokemon with two forms, Land Form (the hedgehog looking one) and Sky Form (my avatar). Shaymin transforms to Sky form when exposed to the Gracidea Flower, and reverts back at night or when frozen.
    Last edited by Chess435; 2012-07-11 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post

It's pretty neat, but I don't think I'd want to live there. Mostly because I've got some nasty food allergies, and those are just infinitely more irritating to deal with in a foreign country. That, and I'm horrible at learning languages.
    練習すれば、早くペラペラになるわけですよ。特に、人々と話す時に、怖くならないでください。

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It got started on 4chan. I was there. It was terrifying.

All these threads filled with people being nice and helpful and supportive. On 4chan. It was unnatural.

I lurked 4chan pony threads for three weeks before watching an episode.
    There was also a sort of second wave effect to it. 4chan is kinda everywhere, with people like Thanqol who frequent many different boards because most 4channers are on the Internet a lot. So certain boards, including this one (where I first noticed ponies) and the Allspark Transformers boards started up threads on My Little Pony. Those in turn caught a fair amount of attention and what you ended up with was discussion about the showing going on the Internet geek crowd. Then it stuck around there for quite a long time, certainly the entire first first season and into that summer, until the huge influx of people who got into it after the first season, the interaction with the show's creators, and a bit of mainstream media coverage (NPR and Fox were first iirc) started it getting bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Elf Bard View Post
    PONIES!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.
    Pony pony, pon pony?

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Big ol' Raz Writing post.

To start off, I'm moving my stories - Bright New Days, All Hallow's Night, Misted Stage - onto FiMFiction. And part of FiMFiction's thing is that I need - or, rather, want - cover art for those stories. Does anypony have any recommendations? Would anypony be interested in drawing cover art for them?

Secondly, I'm officially working on Heroics again. Again. I'm close enough to the end that I can taste it, and I'm wondering - given what was already written, would it be prudent to put up on FiMFiction/submit to Equestria Daily? I'm curious as to Ponythread's opinion.

And finally, have a link to the second draft of my latest story, Dissertations on Dawn: Notable Dawns Throughout Equestrian History. Feedback is appreciated.

Thank you! This has been Raz rambling about his writing stuff.
    Nice. Good for you to get writing again.

....Oh
    Now I'm proud of not being a brony
    So, you're proud because you avoided being in a controversy, or what? I don't see how learning that bronies were able to spread kindness to one of the darkest places in the Internet makes you proud NOT to be a part of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SynissterSyster View Post
    Okay my pony friends I have a question for you. Out of all the ponies in Equestria whom is the least likely ship partner for Spitfire? I am looking at some fan fic ideas.
    Darn that rules out Iron Will and the Hydra. Okay, um, recolor Halloween Fiddle-playing Octavia.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #994
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spitfire and Snips.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

5. - Top - End - #995
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes and yes. (Though when Ash's Pikachu infamously "aimed for the horn", it was a Rhydon, not a Nidoking. The meme still works, though.)
    ....Man, I so wish Nidoking could learn Giga drill break, that would be awesome

As for the second, Shaymin's a Legendary pokemon with two forms, Land Form (the hedgehog looking one) and Sky Form (my avatar). Shaymin transforms to Sky form when exposed to the Gracidea Flower, and reverts back at night or when frozen.
    mmm
    Don't know much about Legendary pokemon, only watched the old series and played the old games....

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    So, you're proud because you avoided being in a controversy, or what? I don't see how learning that bronies were able to spread kindness to one of the darkest places in the Internet makes you proud NOT to be a part of them.
    Because I'm even more different than 4chan Besides other stuff I prefer not to mention.
    Last edited by Luka; 2012-07-11 at 06:19 PM.
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

....Man, I so wish Nidoking could learn Giga drill break, that would be awesome
    Actually, he can....
    Last edited by Chess435; 2012-07-11 at 06:26 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Because I'm even more different than 4chan Besides other stuff I prefer not to mention.
    For thee.

Spoiler
    Show

For everypony else.
    Spoiler
    Show

And I think the least likely Spitfire pairing is the Basilisk. We aren't going to see it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #998
    Troll in the Playground

Okay my pony friends I have a question for you. Out of all the ponies in Equestria whom is the least likely ship partner for Spitfire? I am looking at some fan fic ideas.
    Rainbow Dash! It's so obvious, they'll never see it coming! Or if you're feeling less silly... I dunno. Cherry Jubilee.
    Truth resists simplicity.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    And I think the least likely Spitfire pairing is the Basilisk. We aren't going to see it again.
    Spitfire visits ponyville and finds that even her team's greatest fan Rainbow Dash has a pet to keep her company these days.
    Envious of the fun and companionship she sees amongst the Ponies of Ponyville and their faithful pets, she gives in to temptation when she meets a pursuasive pair of travelling Sales- Ponies on the road back to Canterlot, but will her exotic new best-friend be more trouble than she's worth?

I'm not sure exactly what kind of ship that is, but it seems to be watertight to me and handles well enough in the water.

10. - Top - End - #1000

For thee.

Spoiler
    Show

....You actually searched images for my case?...That... Just makes me happy I'm not outcasted for being 2 warlike 4 ponies

.... OH MAH GOODNESS A FIGHTER!!!! I freaking love you SO MUCH!! *glomps*

Just a note: first image's misleading, that happens all the time in comics over here.... and a lot more times, and for kids that can start from 4 years old too.

that's the normal one, I mean GIGA drill breaker
    Extended sig
    It's not a Paladin it's a Crusader
    Bloody Screens
    : Bringing realism to Videogames since someone had the idea
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Spitfire visits ponyville and finds that even her team's greatest fan Rainbow Dash has a pet to keep her company these days.
    Envious of the fun and companionship she sees amongst the Ponies of Ponyville and their faithful pets, she gives in to temptation when she meets a pursuasive pair of travelling Sales- Ponies on the road back to Canterlot, but will her exotic new best-friend be more trouble than she's worth?

I'm not sure exactly what kind of ship that is, but it seems to be watertight to me and handles well enough in the water.
    ...It is official. Anything can be shipped with anything. Tom the fake diamond can be shipped with Spike, as they recover from being rejected by Rarity. Twilight can marry her library, Pinkie Pie can have a tryst with Kranky.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Ogre in the Playground

...It is official. Anything can be shipped with anything. Tom the fake diamond can be shipped with Spike, as they recover from being rejected by Rarity. Twilight can marry her library, Pinkie Pie can have a tryst with Kranky.
    Oh god, it's like the Crack Pairing thread all over again! Quick, someone program an MLP character slot machine!
    ^~Cody T.~^

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

For the handful of ponythread LoL players out there, games should be starting soon-ish if you'd like to hop on.

For the rest of you, uh...pony?
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    For the handful of ponythread LoL players out there, games should be starting soon-ish if you'd like to hop on.

For the rest of you, uh...pony?

You're on the NA servers aren't you Amish?
    (my summoner name is my forum name if you are)
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

15. - Top - End - #1005

Oh god, it's like the Crack Pairing thread all over again! Quick, someone program an MLP character slot machine!
    I would make one, if I knew anything about programming at all.

Because of Team Fortress 2, I mean Thanqol's story I've been listening to that Brains song(by Voltaire) from Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. Specifically this PMV.
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

Gummy

Or possibly Starswirl the Bearded, largely because he's been dead for a thousand years.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ettin in the Playground

Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-07-11 at 09:15 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Big ol' Raz Writing post.

To start off, I'm moving my stories - Bright New Days, All Hallow's Night, Misted Stage - onto FiMFiction. And part of FiMFiction's thing is that I need - or, rather, want - cover art for those stories. Does anypony have any recommendations? Would anypony be interested in drawing cover art for them?

Secondly, I'm officially working on Heroics again. Again. I'm close enough to the end that I can taste it, and I'm wondering - given what was already written, would it be prudent to put up on FiMFiction/submit to Equestria Daily? I'm curious as to Ponythread's opinion.

And finally, have a link to the second draft of my latest story, Dissertations on Dawn: Notable Dawns Throughout Equestrian History. Feedback is appreciated.

Thank you! This has been Raz rambling about his writing stuff.
    Woo, review sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Huh. I know you're glossing, but as Mage goes that sounds pretty tame. I mean, weren't their possible futures competing via time magic to see which one really happened? There was a point where flooding Nara was a good thing. I suppose that could relate to the whole Nazi thing though...
    They completely dodged the time travel plot and worked super hard to make sure all the high magic plotlines were locked down. All the low magic and society stuff, pfffft.

And I've gotta ask. What was up with Bycatch?
    The ongoing moral compass/judgement of the group. She was actually a fisherman's daughter, relatively simple and grounded, with strong ideas on right and wrong. She wound up leaving that group midway through the campaign because they'd started their slip towards massive evil and wound up killing the Scelesti PC in the epilogue.

... not gonna touch that one on a PG-13 forum.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

One... Seth is once again overreacting.

Two... somepony else point out the TERRIBLE mistake everypony is making there.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Ehh, it is pretty funny to watch, tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Titan in the Playground

His name isn't actually Dr Who?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure this isn't what you're thinking about, but it's driving me nuts that they keep saying copyright when names are a trademark issue.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Orc in the Playground

Oh no the Crack Pairing thread!! RUN!!!

Now seriously, If I'm supposed to be the programmer and you really want that, just help me on getting a full list of characters and an easy source of images for each and I can cook up a program tomorrow, if work is slow.

Tangentially related, I found that Command Line as the name for my OC sounds better and more in tone with Pony names than Magnus, thinking that he is of a somewhat future Equestria were computers are really common. What does Ponythread think?
    Last edited by Zigg'rrauglurr; 2012-07-11 at 11:02 PM.
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zigg'rrauglurr View Post

Now seriosly, If I'm supposed to be the programmer and you really want that, just help me on getting a full list of characters and an easy source of images for each and I can cook up a program tomorrow, if work is slow.
    *maniacal laughter*

I'll let someone else field the character list/photos, I'm willing to bet a few of the posters here have a rather expansive library.
    ^~Cody T.~^

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ogre in the Playground

The MLP Wiki list of ponies gives a very complete list with names and pictures - probably too complete, since some entries are just variants on background ponies (e.g. 'Silver String' who is Lyra, but without a horn and wearing a bonnet). The table is hopefully reasonably machine-readable? There's also the characters page which is a bit more restricted.

Incidentally, you can show in a few ways that the total number of two-distinct-pony ships in a set of N ponies is N(N-1)/2. If you allow ponies to be shipped with themselves, e.g. [1], [2], that goes up to N(N+1)/2.
    Last edited by Bryn; 2012-07-11 at 11:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Banned

Ignoring actual merchandise for the Scout's Honor of someone who was probably never a scout and is using this to sell his own merchandise?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I'm pretty sure this isn't what you're thinking about, but it's driving me nuts that they keep saying copyright when names are a trademark issue.
    What's the difference? More specifically, how do we use them differently? I'll be honest in that it's not something that's ever come up enough for me to really notice.

Now seriously, If I'm supposed to be the programmer and you really want that, just help me on getting a full list of characters and an easy source of images for each and I can cook up a program tomorrow, if work is slow.
    I'll see what I can do

Tangentially related, I found that Command Line as the name for my OC sounds better and more in tone with Pony names than Magnus, thinking that he is of a somewhat future Equestria were computers are really common. What does Ponythread think?
    Command line is an awesome name.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I like this PMV.

I want to do crack pairings! SiuSxAnarion is best ship :P

What do you mean I can't crack ship other board members???

Finding out that the ennui and cynicism of our times is not, after all, an unavoidable unreverseable fate does kind of throw your world-view off, potentially.

It's the possibility of the triumph of sincerity over irony and that's genuinely frightening.
    Can I put this in my signature?
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2012-07-12 at 12:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Troll in the Playground

This is a thing that totally needs to happen. For SCIENCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
    Incidentally, you can show in a few ways that the total number of two-distinct-pony ships in a set of N ponies is N(N-1)/2. If you allow ponies to be shipped with themselves, e.g. [1], [2], that goes up to N(N+1)/2.
    If the idea is to create a crackship generator, shipping more than two ponies together needs to be possible, albeit rather less likely. Also, randomised genderbending of one or more parties.

Command Line is a cool name!
    Truth resists simplicity.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

What's the difference? More specifically, how do we use them differently? I'll be honest in that it's not something that's ever come up enough for me to really notice.
    Please note that the following is NOT legal advice, it's a theoretical discussion on the law and may not be 100% accurate. If you ever rely on this for anything other than correcting ignorant people on the Internet, you are being really really stupid (mods, please don't ban me, he totally asked first).

The difference is that they're different. Obviously that's a non-answer, but they're different in nearly every way other than the fact that people lump them all under the heading intellectual property because they deal with stuff people own that isn't tangible.

Factual Differences
    Trademarks are for names, logos, and short catchphrases. White curly font text that says "Coca-Cola" on a red can is a trademark. So is the name "Coca-Cola." So is their little phrase "live positively" that they've been putting on all the billboards recently.

Copyrights are for expressive works. Books, movies, fine art, modern art, made it with macaroni in 3rd grade art, music (both compositions and recordings), and computer programs (which imo shouldn't be copyrighted, but 120+ countries disagree by treaty). Copyright also applies to sub-parts of a work such as characters and plots. The easiest example is Mickey Mouse. It's not legal to use Mickey Mouse in your own story or art without Disney's permission (other than fair use, which I'll cover in a minute).

The one major area of overlap between copyright and trademark is characters, and looking at the difference is actually fairly informative. So, we'll take Twilight Sparkle because she's best pony. Hasbro claims copyright over Twilight Sparkle and also has a trademark over Twilight Sparkle. The copyright covers the character wholistically. The copyrighted Twilight Sparkle is a purple unicorn with special skill in magic and a cutie mark to match, a studious personality, who possibly suffers from mild OCD, and who is learning lessons about friendship. Trademark, on the other hand, extends only to the character design. The trademark applies to the name "Twilight Sparkle," and to the character design: a purple unicorn with a dark blue mane and tail that have a pink and purple stripe and a tattoo on the flank with overlaid pink and white stars surrounded by 5 other white stars. I don't know, off the top of my head, how much of that you need to copy to infringe either copyright or trademark. It's probably enough to be "substantially similar" but your guess as to what that means is as good as mine.

Legal Differences
    Copyright and Trademark don't come with the same set of rights. The big one, which is what annoys me so much when people mess it up, is that you don't have to enforce your copyrights, but you do have to enforce your trademarks. We'll continue sticking with best pony as an example. If Hasbro became aware of an artist making and selling pictures of Twilight Sparkle, both their trademark and copyright are being infringed. Hasbro has the right to sue over both if they want (or ask for takedowns or what have you), but if they don't take action over the copyright, it has no effect on the copyright itself. On the other hand, if they don't take action on the trademark, the trademark itself could be destroyed. Perhaps not by one artist, but one could imagine parading 100 different fan artists to a jury and explaining that no, actually Hasbro doesn't have any exclusive right to the Twilight Sparkle trademark because they let everyone use it. The only reason that fan artists are allowed to exist is that Hasbro, in an official capacity, does not know that any of them exist (and because of fair use). It's also why they had to send that request to White-Dove not to sell her stuff a while back on Deviant-Art because random fans making plushies is totally different than allowing someone to run their own business by stealing your registered trademarks.

There are other legal differences related to what kind of money you can get when you sue someone, but the requirement of protecting your trademarks while being allowed to ignore your copyright is the big one.

Fair Use
    I kinda just said I'd talk about this a couple times, didn't I? Except nobody actually knows what is and isn't fair other than comparing it to stuff that has been found to be fair or not. Right now the big one seems to be whether your work is a commentary or parody of the original work, in which case it's fair, or is just trying to profit off the original work, in which case it's not fair. That's not actually the test though (Zz'dtri is incorrect when he makes the blanket statement "parody is protected speech," it would be correct if he said "usually protected"). The test is whether something is a transformative work or not, and the U.S. Supreme Court has held that parodies are transformative, at least in most cases. It also matters how much you take, what kind of work the original is (books better protected than computer programs), and whether what you're doing is hurting the original creator economically.

Copyright and trademark fair use both exist and they're similar. I don't know the differences between them, but they're not always the same.

Underlying value
    Lastly, the two systems have totally different reasons for existing, which comes up every once in a while. Trademarks exist to help consumers (you may not feel this way when My Little Pony artists get cease and desist letters). Trademarks help consumers by making sure that when you see a name, logo, or catch phrase, you know it's from the real thing. It helps prevent counterfeiting and ensures high quality products. Trademark law, in theory, shouldn't give a crap about stuff if it doesn't lead to consumer confusion. The law is imperfect, however, so sometimes things that don't lead to consumer confusion end up getting messed with by trademarks anyway.

Copyright law exists to encourage artists. There's a sense that art is really good for society, but it pays badly. Protecting copyrights gives artists more ways to make money and gives a few people a chance to really hit it big (which in turn encourages a lot of starving artists to at least try). We want more people to be able to support themselves making art instead of having to go flip burgers at a restaurant, and that's why there's copyright law. There are times (such as suits against remixers) where I believe copyright law not only fails to encourage art, but actually inhibits it, but that's a symptom of an imperfect system.

Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-07-12 at 06:23 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    His name isn't actually Dr Who?
    Yes and even more to the point its he's not a Dr of anything.