New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LIV:E Long and Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Li'l question for Ponythread

What would a good pony alternative to "Oh God" be? As in "Oh God I'm going to be sick!" or something like that. For those times when you really need something strong that conveys your horror.

There's "Oh Celestia" but it doesn't quite have the same ... impact.
    Heh. I have seen a couple.

"Oh Celestia" seems to be the most common, as you said. A couple of quirky ones I found:

Land's sake
    By the sun and moon,
    Oh goodness
    Equestria above,
    Goddess,
    By the Princesses' Beard!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kd7sov View Post
    In the rare event that I feel some ejaculation is necessary (what with not having used the former phrase in some twenty years), I go with "(dear) sweet Celestia!" I find tone of voice can make it sufficiently impactful.
    Sweet Celestia! is my go-to pony ejaculation too. And if anypony wants to wink and nudge at that sentence, at least try to put some effort into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    By Celestia's Beard! parses a little better, IMO.
    Last edited by SlyGuyMcFly; 2012-09-26 at 07:23 AM.
    Truth resists simplicity.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

I dunno, here are a few example phrases to use for "X ... I'm gonna be sick." that I just thought up.

"Oh Stars,
    "Sun and Stars,
    "Oh ponyfeathers,
    "Oh horseapples,
    "Oh crud,
    "By Celestia's Technicolour Flank/Plot,"
    "By Luna's Starry Flank/Plot,"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    I dunno, here are a few example phrases to use for "X ... I'm gonna be sick." that I just thought up.

"Oh Stars,
    "Sun and Stars,
    "Oh ponyfeathers,
    "Oh horseapples,
    "Oh crud,
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    You could go with "Oh Luna" as well. Shorter and still invokes a goddess. Though I personally liked my coined phrase "For the love of Luna's left hoof".
    "Oh Luna" sounds like something you'd say in bed ... with her Hopefully not followed by "I'm going to be sick"

The other one sounds more like you're annoyed at something or someone rather than horrified by something.

In the rare event that I feel some ejaculation is necessary (what with not having used the former phrase in some twenty years), I go with "(dear) sweet Celestia!" I find tone of voice can make it sufficiently impactful.
    "Sweet Celestia" sounds more like surprise than genuine horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Heh. I have seen a couple.

"Oh Celestia" seems to be the most common, as you said. A couple of quirky ones I found:

Land's sake
    By the sun and moon,
    Oh goodness
    Equestria above,
    Goddess,
    Land's sake sounds like something AJ might have used once or twice in the show, actually.

None of them really have that ... punch, I'm looking for. It's a little too light, a little too "Oh, look at that" rather than "OH GOD NO!"

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post

"Oh Stars,
    "Sun and Stars,
    "Oh ponyfeathers,
    "Oh horseapples,
    "Oh crud,
    "Oh Stars" or possibly "Oh my stars" might be a little closer, but mostly these sorts of things sound silly and lack the kind of seriousness I'm looking for.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

What would a good pony alternative to "Oh God" be? As in "Oh God I'm going to be sick!" or something like that. For those times when you really need something strong that conveys your horror.

MOTHER OF FAUST. 0_0

That is all.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

ALL PAIRINGS NOT ATTESTED TO BY LAWFUL MARRIAGE UNDER EQUESTRIAN LAW ARE CONTRARY TO THE WILL OF HER IN CANTERLOT.

SHIPPING IS HERESY. REPORT ALL INSTANCES TO LOCAL IMPERIAL AUTHORITIES. FAILURE TO REPORT HERESY IS ITSELF HERETICAL

CELESTIA PROTECTS.
    Love the picture. Am willing to go rambo on anyone who actually follows the idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Silly SiuiS.

One apple isn't apples!

Also. Twilight is Starswirl the Bearded through Time Shenanigans. berriancanon.
    Oh tonny. xD
    (Like the canon)

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Which she? Because the horse could be either or. Maybe both? And isn't it possible to love and tolerate of something that makes your eyes burn?

Though that's not necesarraly an easily embraced mindset...
    I massively dislike the viewpoint you are espousing and the method in which you are doing it, but I don't think I can calmly discuss it on this forum. I'm gonna hope that I can stick with 'Please remember other people have the right to enjoy things you don't, and don't call them sick for it, even if you or even society think they are.'

The problem is, whether something is sick depends an awful lot. Brutally murdering your best friend is certainly sick and wrong, but exploring the idea in a piece of fiction or art is not inherently sick or wrong.

I am personally of the clear opinion that nothing is taboo in fiction. Nothing is off limits. There are certainly things that, if you're at all concerned about writing something worth reading, need to be handled with extreme maturity and care. But nothing is so sick that it can not ever be explored in fiction.
    I approve of this statement.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2012-09-26 at 08:42 AM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    MOTHER OF FAUST. 0_0

That is all.
    That one is a solid one. It has passion. I'm a little unsure how it would fit my specific needs, but we're getting somewhere now

9. - Top - End - #99
    Colossus in the Playground

I think I need an intervention to stop me watching mushy romance anime all the time.

Don't get out of your chairs. I already asked Monobear for help.

Thanks Monobear!

10. - Top - End - #100

"Sweet Celestia" sounds more like surprise than genuine horror.
    Again, a great deal can be conveyed with tone of voice.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Again, a great deal can be conveyed with tone of voice.
    While that's true, I have a hard time imagining a tone in which "Sweet Celestia" doesn't have that inherent element of "I'm surprised at this", at least a little. Maybe just me.

Also in written form all you have are the words, so you need words that work without a specific tone, or which have that tone built in, so to speak.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

How about "Oh Sleipnir!"?

Land's sake sounds like something AJ might have used once or twice in the show, actually.
    Actually, I think Applejack did use that in Griffon the Brush Off after she saw the prank Pinkie and Rainbow played on her orchard.

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    Ponythread RP: Giving "Oh Crap" new meaning
    Spoiler
    Show

So, dad...

Yes, dearest?

I woke up this morning... with a horn.

And it's lovely, it goes so well with your coat.

And that scar I got from when you forgot to reset the trapdoor on the buzz-saw deathtrap is gone.

I have to say, you're taking this remarkably well.

So, just one question, dearest father of mine, whom I trust implicitly because I know he'd never experiment on me...

And that absolutely is me, right? Oooh, look, your magic's the same color as my mane!

WHAT THE BUCK DID YOU DO TO ME?!

My wings! My lovely... My...My word, you're incredibly large all of a sudden. *ribbit*

Blunt, launch some missiles.

At what or whom?

Find the nearest OFC and reduce it to orbital slag. Then get me some cider; I have a headache and want to delay it till tomorrow.
    My Little Roleplay: This Will Not Likely End Well
    Spoiler
    Show
    *a small portal opens and a cube is tossed through, which projects a hologram of Professor Boffinspark*
    Pardon me, miss, but your current condition is the result of an experiment that your father was helping me with. You see, those cupcakes you helped yourself to were laced with a retrovirus that transformed you into your current state.
    On that note, I'd like to know how you're feeling right now. Are you experiencing any unusual thoughts or feelings? In particular, would you describe yourself as feeling "greater and more powerful than the dawn"?

"Greater and more powerful than the dawn"?
    It's a phrase that keeps coming up during interviews with subjects that have hormonal imbalances.
    Last edited by Alabenson; 2012-09-26 at 09:31 AM.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm personally fond of "Oh sun and moon..." as a mild swear.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

I like to assume that when Applejack, shrunk by the poisonjoke and left on her own, used "ponyfeathers!"(which dates back to G1), it was an expletive that she, being a working mare of the world knew and used occasinally, but never would have used in polite company (akin to the words that we don't use on these boards...)

(I don't recall anyone else saying at any other time, so I could be wrong. I noticed it in the episode as I recognised it from G1.)

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I like to assume that when Applejack, shrunk by the poisonjoke and left on her own, used "ponyfeathers!"(which dates back to G1), it was an expletive that she, being a working mare of the world knew and used occasinally, but never would have used in polite company (akin to the words that we don't use on these boards...)

(I don't recall anyone else saying at any other time, so I could be wrong. I noticed it in the episode as I recognised it from G1.)
    I didn't know it was from G1, but I support it being on the dirtier end of the swear scale. Mostly because it supports one of the Mood Wings headcanons: that a pegasus' wings are a rather private part of their body.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    So, those of you who believe you have the faintest idea about Ponythread's apparent cosmology, what do you think the major shards are?

As I see it, so far, the important bits are as follows;
    Spoiler
    Show

As for the Dark-side shards, the fragments of setting and continuity that tend towards the grimmer or more morally complex end of things, there's
    Silent Night and his cult originate from Stalliongrad. Pony Russia + Zombies + The Nightmare + The Pink One.
    Boffinspark and co (Probably Divebomb too) come from an Equestria that has a vibrant mad-science community and a Celestia who either sees the need for it, or fears the consequences of trying to curb it. Pink One and Discord as major elements.
    Bleakmane's Shard of origin (probably a seperate planet to that which equestria is on) and Maxtronaut's Clockwork-verse probably but up here somewhere too.

What about the Light-side of the Ponythread Multiverse? I
    Do Raz-Fox, Mask, etc come with any implied chunks of setting or repeatedly referenced locations?

And somewhere outside of all of this there is Sean Mirrsen's multiversal director/administration thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Does this mean that Raz hails from an inception-like Dreamscape? I'm not entirely sure what I'm seeing there.

Great image though.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

So, those of you who believe you have the faintest idea about Ponythread's apparent cosmology, what do you think the major shards are?

As I see it, so far, the important bits are as follows;
    Spoiler
    Show

As for the Dark-side shards, the fragments of setting and continuity that tend towards the grimmer or more morally complex end of things, there's
    Silent Night and his cult originate from Stalliongrad. Pony Russia + Zombies + The Nightmare + The Pink One.
    Boffinspark and co (Probably Divebomb too) come from an Equestria that has a vibrant mad-science community and a Celestia who either sees the need for it, or fears the consequences of trying to curb it. Pink One and Discord as major elements.
    Bleakmane's Shard of origin (probably a seperate planet to that which equestria is on) and Maxtronaut's Clockwork-verse probably but up here somewhere too.

What about the Light-side of the Ponythread Multiverse?
    Do Raz-Fox, Mask, etc come with any implied chunks of setting or repeatedly referenced locations?

And somewhere outside of all of this there is Sean Mirrsen's multiversal director/administration thing.
    Yo, are we counting IRC ponythread stuff? Because that's probably more on the lighter side, barring a few brush-ins with dark terrors and such.

♪I'd like to be part of the lighter side~ I want to... dadadada, see 'em daaancing~♫

(Lighter side is still taking recruits, aye?)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Okay, testing new ponytaur. Like?
    Yessiree bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Does this mean that Raz hails from an inception-like Dreamscape? I'm not entirely sure what I'm seeing there.

Great image though.
    If Raz is doing the same thing he did in the IRC, the fox hails from an interdimensional chaotic world known as Pandemonium, where weird inception-windows are probably quite common.

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    I didn't know it was from G1, but I support it being on the dirtier end of the swear scale. Mostly because it supports one of the Mood Wings headcanons: that a pegasus' wings are a rather private part of their body.
    Which goes well with Nasty Fluttershy's use of "nopony gives a flying feather" in Putting Your Hoof Down.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

See, what exactly -is- Gorn? I thought I knew what Gorn was, but if this is it, then I don't know.

I thought Gorn was Gore-Porn. The viewer is expected to watch this for the sake of -enjoying- the subject material. That blood and guts are produced to thrill and delight. Like a type of power fantasy. Much like regular porn. Except, instead of, for example, shoving metal objects (that may or may not be phalic) into bits of meat and exchanging fluids... well, actually, yeah, much like regular porn.

Then again, my main experience with it is in games. Ninja Gaiden. Gears of War. Mortal Kombat. Killer Instinct. God of War. And the like. Maybe those games are too tame... maybe I'm not ready for the real thing. But I'm not personally bothered by blood and guts, or limbs being hacked off. I've gotten -that- kind of excited from it before (Orb of Destruction + 100 Ninjas = Pool of Blood and 500 (head, arms, and legs) spare body parts. Awesome). And I've seen people die in real life.

I'm kinda surprised that Cupcakes is even capable of affecting me the way it did.

The thing is, that's not entirely true. People are capable of doing all sorts of things when pressed or snapped. It's sad, but true, even when the stressor is someone you love. Some times more so, which is even sadder, but truer. It's a fight for those who are slightly unhinged to keep ourselves in check some times, and some times it's easier when you're not fighting someone you're attached to...

How is it flawed reasoning? While it -doesn't- always lead to such acts, it is certainly capable of it. That's what makes Party of One scary; it confirms that Pinkie isn't entirely screwed on right. And any sign of instability shouldn't be taken so lightly, because no one, except and sometimes not even the subject, knows what is lying underneath.

.... What is Kitchen Sink? A character got seriously mixed with a kitchen sink? Like the appliance?

Is there any part of a fandom that is worse than the shippers in terms of "what the heck's going on?"?

You all don't seem like a collective anymore, actually. It's just an odd concidental grouping, at least from my eyes. The personalities are too distinct, and each being is too different.

Wow... Ponyville needs far more discipline, if a couple of kids arguing infront of him is enoug to give him the power he needs to be reborn... shouldn't he have been revived much earlier than that, though?

Blatant Lies. ...You really think so?

Incredibly Rough. I know... it's certainly not the final draft of it.... but I kinda like it.

Why go out of you way? It's not like it matters. You'd really do that for me? ... :)

.... this reminds me; Applejack was seen trying to eat a sandwich... that had a piece of lunch meat in it.

Where'd the Lunch meat come from? How does everyone stay healthy on pie and other such stuff mde from Apples?

How do you make Apple Fries?

I think I got everything I was supposed to...
    Yeah that's pretty much it and while those games have an element of Gorn they aren't Gorn.

Cupcakes is Gorn. Human Centipide is also Gorn (and from what I've heard worse then Cupcakes.)

See that generally doesn't hold true. Now I'm hardly an expert of psychology but generally a mental break follows the same patterns every time. Pinkie sinks into delusions, Fluttershy snaps in rage, Rainbow Dash gets performance anxiety (which is actually a pretty normal thing.) But it would be OOC to see Rainbow Dash getting delusional. Pinkie may harm somepony in her delusions but she wouldn't understand what was going on at all.

Yes and yes.

That's what the Herd looks like when you're on the inside.

No that was just bad timing. Discord was already breaking free at that point. In fact you could view it as the reverse, he had already broken free enough to turn three good friends against each other.

Yes I do really think so.

True but that's what I'd expect from a short description. I'd like to see what you'd do with a longer work.

Why? Because I like reading. And I want to help. Do I need more of a reason?

Looking at that scene it's a little rough. The pink that we think is meat may be something else. It could also be meat. So it could go either way. However that is the only scene where we see the possibility of ponies eating meat.

Pony biology is a mystery of the highest orders.

Apple Fries would be taking a slice of an apple, breading it, then deep frying it.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2012-09-26 at 11:39 AM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Yo, are we counting IRC ponythread stuff? Because that's probably more on the lighter side, barring a few brush-ins with dark terrors and such.

♪I'd like to be part of the lighter side~ I want to... dadadada, see 'em daaancing~♫

(Lighter side is still taking recruits, aye?)

Yessiree bob.

If Raz is doing the same thing he did in the IRC, the fox hails from an interdimensional chaotic world known as Pandemonium, where weird inception-windows are probably quite common.
    In the interest of cosmic balance, yeah, sure. (Part of me is delusional enough to think that codifying this could, potentially, give room or encouragement enough to re-introduce some lightsight here in the thread, but mostly I think it's an excuse to draw ponies. I also kind of like the idea of putting together some kind of general guide to the major landmarks as it were of ponythread's cosmology).

22. - Top - End - #112
    Spamalot in the Playground

The other one sounds more like you're annoyed at something or someone rather than horrified by something.
    Well, thanks to the internet that generally happens.

Anyone here played Pony Fantasy VI?
    I'm curious to compare notes on what you think of it. A few of my thoughts so far (Spoiler'd for those waiting to play later)--

The Good:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of the main casting works well. Celestia & Luna are an interesting match for Edgar & Sabin. The story plays off their Patient/Impulsiveness to a good effect.

AppleBloom and Trixie as the Locke/Celes combo seemed weird at first, but if you think of Bloom being the "voice of morality" to Trixie, it kinda works. Trixie's boasting seems to fit alright for the plot where Celes is needed, but its funny that her rivalry with Twilight on who's better is largely ignored because Twi doesn't care.
    Bonus points for Zecora playing General Leo while still maintaining her rhyming speech pattern. Some rhymes feel forced, but kudos for effort.

Interesting too that only the unicorns can learn spells from the Espers. Might sound bad at first, but made up with the fact that non-unicorns like Applejack and Applebloom get additional abilities to fit the slot. AJ gets Swordtechs AND Blitz. That's just deliciously broken. Applebloom gets steal AND tools, thus you have the apple family BumRushing the enemy while drilling through their defences after they're robbed blind. Day-um!

The Bad:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some of the casting doesn't work for me. Gilda made a pretty poor emperor in my eyes. I think it would have been better to use a G1 villain. Those guys were pretty evil. Derpy as Umaro is amusing and I like it, but the whole "Commander Hurricane" bit felt unnecessary. Derpy as Derpy works fine.

Vinyl as Rachel seemed odd, like she was just thrown into the role. I personally think someone like Diamond Tiara would work-- castrating Applebloom for putting her in harms way and breaking up their friendship would fit PLUS it would then make the whole idea of Bloom rescuing Trixie because Trixie reminded Bloom of someone work perfectly.

Sethisto as Cid was a bit of a let down (felt like he was just inserted as some personal fanboyism) and the jokes about the servers crashing fell flat for me. I think if one is going to use fandom characters, stick with the ones most known and popular (i.e. Derpy).
    Heck, I pondered Dr. Whooves fitting the role of Cid. At least then I'd have some motivation to save him with good fish (No offense Sethisto, slow fish just come easy to catch).

Other Thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Overall I like the game and it actually got me playing FF6 again. Bonus points that most Game Genie codes still work (mwahaha) and Pinkie Pie's rage ability fixed to be controllable is just broken-good. Suddenly the "Gau" character becomes highly desired.
    I definitely would like to see more work done on the game later. Some creatures had their sprites changed, but not their names (Looking at you, Iron Will) while others just the opposite (Timberwolves still called Lobo).

Projects like these usually get my donation money, because I think good effort should be rewarded with support. Hoping to see more of it in the future when the author gets time again.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

You could always just go with "Oh Gosh!", or "Oh my gosh!" which I'm pretty sure have been used in the show before.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

There was also "Horseapples!" which sounds like an expletive to me. Indeed, it's slang for horse dung if I remember correctly.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Hey ponythread. So I had the most random dream, featuring Bleakbane. I was walking through some place like an industrial complex or something, and randomly I walked by this security guard station and Bleakbane was inside beating up a guy using the helmet of a space suit. The why's and wherefores are totally unknown to me, but it was amusing.

Sick people are sick and need to stay on the other side of the internet. Or leave a corner for me to sit in away from them.
    I suggest care in this type of comment, as has already been noted. Say rather that certain things make you feel sick, and we will all do our best to spoiler them, tag them or otherwise do our best to avoid exposing you to things that upset you. But when you call the creators and those who enjoy even very strange things "sick" it's liable to ruffle somepony's feathers.

Anarion, you make me think. Thank you.
    *Tips hat*

I like very much.

Deadly, did you have a particular context you're looking for here? I'll give you a few different ones.

If you want to express dread, I suggest the boring but effective "oh...no" spoken slowly and deliberately.

If you're going for joy, as in "oh god, that's amazing" use of "oh gosh" or "Oh Celestia/Luna" would be just fine.

If it's dismay you want, "ponyfeathers" "horseapples" or even something you totally make up all work fine.

And, if this is a bedroom scene, you should definitely do "Oh Luna" because my gosh that would be awkward and hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I think I need an intervention to stop me watching mushy romance anime all the time.

Don't get out of your chairs. I already asked Monobear for help.

Thanks Monobear!
    Nope, already standing, too late. Monobear, what help do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Well, thanks to the internet that generally happens.

Anyone here played Pony Fantasy VI?
    I'm curious to compare notes on what you think of it. A few of my thoughts so far (Spoiler'd for those waiting to play later)--

The Good:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of the main casting works well. Celestia & Luna are an interesting match for Edgar & Sabin. The story plays off their Patient/Impulsiveness to a good effect.

AppleBloom and Trixie as the Locke/Celes combo seemed weird at first, but if you think of Bloom being the "voice of morality" to Trixie, it kinda works. Trixie's boasting seems to fit alright for the plot where Celes is needed, but its funny that her rivalry with Twilight on who's better is largely ignored because Twi doesn't care.
    Bonus points for Zecora playing General Leo while still maintaining her rhyming speech pattern. Some rhymes feel forced, but kudos for effort.

Interesting too that only the unicorns can learn spells from the Espers. Might sound bad at first, but made up with the fact that non-unicorns like Applejack and Applebloom get additional abilities to fit the slot. AJ gets Swordtechs AND Blitz. That's just deliciously broken. Applebloom gets steal AND tools, thus you have the apple family BumRushing the enemy while drilling through their defences after they're robbed blind. Day-um!

The Bad:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Some of the casting doesn't work for me. Gilda made a pretty poor emperor in my eyes. I think it would have been better to use a G1 villain. Those guys were pretty evil. Derpy as Umaro is amusing and I like it, but the whole "Commander Hurricane" bit felt unnecessary. Derpy as Derpy works fine.

Vinyl as Rachel seemed odd, like she was just thrown into the role. I personally think someone like Diamond Tiara would work-- castrating Applebloom for putting her in harms way and breaking up their friendship would fit PLUS it would then make the whole idea of Bloom rescuing Trixie because Trixie reminded Bloom of someone work perfectly.

Sethisto as Cid was a bit of a let down (felt like he was just inserted as some personal fanboyism) and the jokes about the servers crashing fell flat for me. I think if one is going to use fandom characters, stick with the ones most known and popular (i.e. Derpy).
    Heck, I pondered Dr. Whooves fitting the role of Cid. At least then I'd have some motivation to save him with good fish (No offense Sethisto, slow fish just come easy to catch).

Other Thoughts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Overall I like the game and it actually got me playing FF6 again. Bonus points that most Game Genie codes still work (mwahaha) and Pinkie Pie's rage ability fixed to be controllable is just broken-good. Suddenly the "Gau" character becomes highly desired.
    I definitely would like to see more work done on the game later. Some creatures had their sprites changed, but not their names (Looking at you, Iron Will) while others just the opposite (Timberwolves still called Lobo).

Projects like these usually get my donation money, because I think good effort should be rewarded with support. Hoping to see more of it in the future when the author gets time again.
    I watched the whole thing in Phoe's let's play, but haven't played it myself. I thought it actually seemed fairly well-balanced and I enjoyed having Seth in there, just to watch Phoe kill him. Comedy gold, that. There are a lot of show lines thrown in, some of them terrible, some appropos. There is also some pretty good writing peppered throughout and I think the guy that made it really put in a lot of care.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-09-26 at 01:28 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Deadly, did you have a particular context you're looking for here? I'll give you a few different ones.

If you want to express dread, I suggest the boring but effective "oh...no" spoken slowly and deliberately.
    I do have a specific context in mind, but I didn't want to spoil anything. Edit: Also the question is interesting in general, of course

"Oh ... no" could work quite well, actually. Maybe with some repetitions. Yeah, I think that might do it.
    Last edited by Deadly; 2012-09-26 at 01:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's what I think the value of tragedy and horror and even gore is. It makes us feel and makes us think, it stirs the deepest feelings in us, if it's done well. It may not be something you enjoy, but it can be powerful and it can be positive for many people.

I'm not giving Cupcakes any credit. The Lecter books are, I'm sure, infinitely more clever. Also the gore is much more spread out, I'm sure. That was my point really, for a story like this to be good it needs more than just gore. You don't have to throw out the gore, you just have to distribute it right and not let it be the whole of the story.
    So, speaking theoretically, what would have to be done to make Cupcakes good? I could see maybe spacing the actual tortures out over a series of days, with intervals where they actually talk to each other. It would introduce a sense of psychological drama to it, as opposed to "hack-slash-dead." It would also give a chance to portray Pinkie in a light other than a random "your turn to die" serial killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    My Little Roleplay: This Will Not Likely End Well
    Spoiler
    Show
    *a small portal opens and a cube is tossed through, which projects a hologram of Professor Boffinspark*
    Pardon me, miss, but your current condition is the result of an experiment that your father was helping me with. You see, those cupcakes you helped yourself to were laced with a retrovirus that transformed you into your current state.
    On that note, I'd like to know how you're feeling right now. Are you experiencing any unusual thoughts or feelings? In particular, would you describe yourself as feeling "greater and more powerful than the dawn"?

"Greater and more powerful than the dawn"?
    It's a phrase that keeps coming up during interviews with subjects that have hormonal imbalances.
    Ponythread RP: Friendship: the escalation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I'm rather partial to "Stronger than the foundations of the earth." It has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

See? His fault. Not mine.

You should know better than to just eat anything here, anyway.

...Fine.

Thank you.

As for you, Boffie,

I suppose thanks are in order.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-09-26 at 02:05 PM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

So, speaking theoretically, what would have to be done to make Cupcakes good? I could see maybe spacing the actual tortures out over a series of days, with intervals where they actually talk to each other. It would introduce a sense of psychological drama to it, as opposed to "hack-slash-dead." It would also give a chance to portray Pinkie in a light other than a random "your turn to die" serial killer.
    I agree with you, Balmas, that restructuring it that way would probably be helpful to the story. I think that the biggest change needed would be in writing style and focus. The story would be most powerful as a psychological exploration. The perspective could be from either Pinkie or Rainbow, but it would need to get into much more thoughtful descriptions, to have the reader begin to understand what was happening not as a shocking reveal, but as a careful build-up that something was wrong. Deeply and utterly wrong. And then to analyze why and how that came into being.

Take a book like Lolita. It is so deeply wrong, but it's written from the perspective of the person responsible for the evil, and it takes a real shot at getting the reader to understand the mindset of the narrator.

As Deadly has said, though, writing a story like that is really hard.

Changing gears. Shards of Equestria, the pony Magic set, has been fully cancelled. If you want a good insight into what kinds of fan works are legally acceptable for the pony community it's a good read. Though I will say that the letter from the attorney, while correctly stating the law, makes things out to be much more cut and dry than they really are.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-09-26 at 02:19 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

I'd vote for "Goodness" as general word, with "feather", "buck", "apples" etc. replacing appropriate words in mild swears used by humans. In fact, I'd make most swears "cute", so to speak, devoid of any references to religion or true evil. It just doesn't fit, IMHO.

But then again, I don't buy into Celestia being a goddess, not with ancient ponies doing fine without her and her being born and all. The only being that can lay weak claim to deity status (and even then, merely mortal demigod, not true god) is Discord.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

29. - Top - End - #119

RogueGuy

I've always been partial to "By Luna!" myself.

So much so that it's bled into one of my actual (albeit under my breath) swears. Then again, since Luna is another name for moon for the uninitiated, I get less wierd looks this way.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

That, and what Anarion says, all good points.

Spoiler, for Cupcakes
    Spoiler
    Show
    I believe I had a sort of idea of my own about what Cupcakes was about before I actually read it, based on the artwork I'd seen. I imagined that Pinkie took the wings, horns, cutie marks and maybe even blood and flesh from her victims, to become them, to wear their skin, to eat their flesh and ultimately to become her friends. Maybe to fulfill some twisted sense of loneliness and abandonment.

I saw this picture of Pinkie watching Dash through the window, and I sort of imagine the story could be like that ... Pinkie watching Dash, dreaming, spending all her time obsessing over her, building up to that final moment and maybe then it doesn't live up to the dream, so in her despair and torment Pinkie seeks a new victim to complete her. And thus the cycle continues from victim to victim, her desire and anticipation growing with each, and the disappointment and despair with it.

It's a rough starting point and I never thought much more about it, although I do have another story planned with a vaguely similar premise.

But yeah, spread it out more, delve deeper into the psychology, the reasons, the dreams and motivations. Make Pinkie out to be tormented by her dreams and desires, put the reader in her horseshoes, give a taste of the madness.

Just watching her cut Dash up isn't really scary, it's just dumb, what makes it scary is getting that look inside her mind.

So ... what you both said already