New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Heroes are Made, not Born

Alright, character auditing done so far:

Feldwick (Flickerdart)
    You didn't seem to do the ability score switch, though it could easily have been any of the 14s.
    You also have 1 more PP from high Charisma, as you're a 1st level manifester with a high enough Charisma to get one from Hidden Talent.
    Finally, for money, my calculations indicate you have 1 gp, 6 sp and 6 cp. Most likely you forgot that your first outfit is free and weightless, as per:
    Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook, page 131
    A beginning character is assumed to have an artisan's, entertainer's, monk's, peasant's, scholar's or traveler's outfit. This first outfit is free and does not count against the amount of weight a character can carry.
    Relating to gold and coinage in general, Commoners probably don't have much in the way of coin, much less ever seeing gold coins, and more than likely have them in terms of trade goods. Use of this table is encouraged: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/...OtherThanCoins
    I suggest a goat for your gold piece!

Leorath (The Rambler)
    You have all your feats except for the one you get as a 1st level character. I suggest Shield Proficiency, as currently that light wooden shield is making you suffer the Armor Check Penalty against your attacks, as well as Strength and Dexterity checks and skills. It's only -1 but still annoying.
    You've over spent your starting money by 3 gp and 8 sp. I'd back up and maybe axe things like the tindertwig and the 6 pints of oil, which you don't have a lantern or lamp for, anyways.
    You also haven't spent any of your skill points yet, though I'm sure you're still considering what to spend all 12 of those on, oh Able Learner.
    Hidden Talent is locked to being Charisma-based, so unfortunately, till you hit Psychic Adept, you have to depend on your Charisma, not your Wisdom. (A side note to that is Ectoplasmic Sheen sounds way cooler than Psionic Grease does ; also of note is Ectoplasmic Sheen isn't a Psychic Warrior power, though I think I'll simply consider this like Expanded Knowledge for our purposes, since Hidden Talent can be any 1st level power)
    Finally, your notes say you switched Charisma and Dexterity when your sheet really says you switched Charisma and Constitution. An honest mistake, though one you probably want to look into.

Phidias (Claudius Maximus)
    You overswitched your stats. I think I wasn't clear in my explanation of Organic Stat Generation, as the last step is switching any 2 ability scores, not make 2 switches of 2 sets of scores. I'm assuming you'd rather switch Strength and Intelligence over Charisma and Wisdom, neh?
    Listing your Wound points as your HP through me for a loop, so I ask that everybody list your Vitality Points as HP, as Wound Points are fairly obvious, given they're equal to your Con score.
    Ectopic Form(Anathematic Carapace requires Ectopic Form(any form) to acquire, so that choice is currently illegal for you.
    You have 2 more skill points to spend yet, as well.
    I'm a mite curious about the acquisition of caltrops, as that's more adventurey than commoners usually have but there isn't any real problem with you having them.
    Finally, my calculations of your purchases indicates you have 1 more gold piece than your sheet says. Another victim of the free outfit, I suppose. I think a goat would be lovely.

That's all I have time for right now but I'll get back to more auditing perhaps later on today or tomorrow.

Finally, could I see the stats you rolled in thread, Xavez? Not that I doubt you but I'd like confirmation to see how they were switched about. If not from the dice rolling thread than the Commoner Rolls thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8473880
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Question: Do we list which weapon we chose for our Commoner's free Simple Weapon Proficiency?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I think a goat would be lovely.
    I'll stop chuckling sometime today, promise.

Anyhow, what're the stats for a goat? A wartrained one ought to be pretty fierce on level 1 commoner standards?.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Finally, could I see the stats you rolled in thread, Xavez? Not that I doubt you but I'd like confirmation to see how they were switched about. If not from the dice rolling thread than the Commoner Rolls thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8473880
    Sorry, I used the Hypertext SRD dice roller. Didn't know I had to use a thread here (not familiar with PbP games). My rolls were:

Strength: 4, 2, 6, 5=15
    Dexterity: 2, 3, 3, 4=11 (switched with wisdom)
    Constitution: 5, 5, 4, 1=14
    Intelligence: 5, 3, 3, 4=12
    Wisdom: 1, 2, 2, 3=7; reroll: 6, 6, 5, 3=17 (switched with dexterity)
    Charisma: 6, 1, 6, 6=18

Those OK or should I reroll?
    -Xavez
    Last edited by Darklord Xavez; 2010-05-13 at 04:42 PM.
    My name is pronounced "ZAH-vez"
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

5. - Top - End - #65

Leorath (The Rambler Rabbler)
    fix'd for you.
    You have all your feats except for the one you get as a 1st level character. I suggest Shield Proficiency, as currently that light wooden shield is making you suffer the Armor Check Penalty against your attacks, as well as Strength and Dexterity checks and skills. It's only -1 but still annoying.
    totally forgot about this. screw the shield.

and I thought I only had 3 feats at level 1. one for flaw (born hero), one for human (able learner), and one for level 1 (hidden talent).

You've over spent your starting money by 3 gp and 8 sp. I'd back up and maybe axe things like the tindertwig and the 6 pints of oil, which you don't have a lantern or lamp for, anyways.
    whoopsies. I'll fix that. and I got the pints of oil with the idea that they'd work similarly to a grease spell. I forgot that there's no RAW saying that it does actually do this; my DM always allowed it. I'll get rid of the oil if you do not allow it.

You also haven't spent any of your skill points yet, though I'm sure you're still considering what to spend all 12 of those on, oh Able Learner.
    able learner was my first level feat. and yea, I'm still not sure what to spend my skill points on. I'll probably decide that based on what everyone else is planning for their characters.

Hidden Talent is locked to being Charisma-based, so unfortunately, till you hit Psychic Adept, you have to depend on your Charisma, not your Wisdom. (A side note to that is Ectoplasmic Sheen sounds way cooler than Psionic Grease does ; also of note is Ectoplasmic Sheen isn't a Psychic Warrior power, though I think I'll simply consider this like Expanded Knowledge for our purposes, since Hidden Talent can be any 1st level power)
    Interesting... but this raises a question for you. Wouldn't this allow for a psychic warrior to know first level psion powers? ignoring hidden talent, wouldn't psychic adept allow me to grab some of the better 1st level psion powers before actually becoming a psychic warrior and keep them forever? I don't know if that'd be worthwhile at all, but it seems to warp the rules a bit and make psychic warriors have a bit more options.

Finally, your notes say you switched Charisma and Dexterity when your sheet really says you switched Charisma and Constitution. An honest mistake, though one you probably want to look into.
    p=8473880[/url]
    originally, I was switching my Cha for my Dex. must've forgotten to change that. I appologize.
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-05-13 at 07:34 PM.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Question: Do we list which weapon we chose for our Commoner's free Simple Weapon Proficiency?
    Some of the other players listed it as their class feature, which makes it easier on me to see, rather than figure it out by which weapon isn't the one with a nonproficiency penalty. Whichever way you want to do it to make it clear is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Anyhow, what're the stats for a goat? A wartrained one ought to be pretty fierce on level 1 commoner standards?.
    Hmm, no goat stats in the MM...

I vaguely recall there being a goat-like in Races of the Wild, so I'll perhaps base it off of one of those. This seems like a reasonable facsimile in the mean time: http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-leg...ml#post3850383

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Xavez View Post
    Sorry, I used the Hypertext SRD dice roller. Didn't know I had to use a thread here (not familiar with PbP games). My rolls were:

Strength: 4, 2, 6, 5=15
    Dexterity: 2, 3, 3, 4=11 (switched with wisdom)
    Constitution: 5, 5, 4, 1=14
    Intelligence: 5, 3, 3, 4=12
    Wisdom: 1, 2, 2, 3=7; reroll: 6, 6, 5, 3=17 (switched with dexterity)
    Charisma: 6, 1, 6, 6=18

Those OK or should I reroll?
    -Xavez
    I'm not saying they have to be here, like Amphetryon did with his stats. I'm just asking to see the rolls to confirm what you rolled when I audit the sheet. If you can just link me to where you rolled, that's fine.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #67

I'm not saying they have to be here, like Amphetryon did with his stats. I'm just asking to see the rolls to confirm what you rolled when I audit the sheet. If you can just link me to where you rolled, that's fine.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I didn't think to save the url of my roll history on the SRD dice bag, but then again, who would? Are the rolls OK, or should I roll again?
    -Xavez
    But you can't ride in a pack saddle unless you're an object. So better switch to Female.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Xavez View Post
    Think to save the url of my roll history on the SRD dice bag, but then again, who would? Are the rolls OK, or should I roll again?
    -Xavez
    Nah, you can keep 'em. My only other question is that those rolls don't seem to match the ones on the sheet you linked. I haven't read it in depth yet, that's just my initial impression.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2010-05-13 at 05:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Are web suppliments allowed? I'm thinking no, mainly because Wild Cohort would be a bit too powerful.

10. - Top - End - #70

Nah, you can keep 'em. My only other question is that those rolls don't seem to match the ones on the sheet you linked. I haven't read it in depth yet, that's just my initial impression.
    I realized that I had put some rolls on the sheet wrong. Here is the new link.
    -Xavez

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler View Post
    and I thought I only had 3 feats at level 1. one for flaw (born hero), one for human (able learner), and one for level 1 (hidden talent).
    You have the one for 1st level, the one for being human, the one for a flaw and finally a free, no-strings attached one, as per the rules above. Call it a bone for being Commoners. =P

whoopsies. I'll fix that. and I got the pints of oil with the idea that they'd work similarly to a grease spell. I forgot that there's no RAW saying that it does actually do this; my DM always allowed it. I'll get rid of the oil if you do not allow it.
    That's a very situational thing, as it'd only work on certain surfaces, as dumping oil on dirt does not make a slippery surface make. The other thing is, would your average commoner carry around oil expressly for creating a slipping hazard in his day to day occurrences? I'm thinking probably not.

Interesting... but this raises a question for you. Wouldn't this allow for a psychic warrior to know first level psion powers? ignoring hidden talent, wouldn't psychic adept allow me to grab some of the better 1st level psion powers before actually becoming a psychic warrior and keep them forever? I don't know if that'd be worthwhile at all, but it seems to warp the rules a bit and make psychic warriors have a bit more options.
    ah but you choose your list when you go into Psychic Adept, do you not? To go in for the Psychic Warrior list, you meet the special requirements and that's the list you get access to, not the Psion/Wilder list.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Are web supplements allowed? I'm thinking no, mainly because Wild Cohort would be a bit too powerful.
    It'd be on a case-by-case basis, as they're brought to me, given I'm allowing the Soulbound Weapon ACF. Wild Cohort can indeed get a bit silly, so it probably won't be available, unless I'm otherwise persuaded.

Anyways, on to the latest character critique!

Marrgo Deam Magic (Demon eye)
    Your Intelligence score should be 15, not 14, according to your stat rolls.
    Your deity is spelled Boccob.
    The Quarterstaff attack bonus should be -1, not -2. I suspect you subtracted your strength mod from the melee bonus.
    You're at Medium load, currently, which nets you a -3 ACP and 20' movement speed, just FYI. You may want to cut some things.
    Your sheet claims you have 8 gp, though my calculations come out to 5 gp 9 sp and 1 cp. Trade good that stuff up, eh?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Colossus in the Playground

I did the swap (CHA was 10 originally). Free outfit is neat, I will go make the edit. However, carrying around bushels of wheat instead of coins is a bit odd and with a STR of 11, impractical. Maybe he will have many chickens.

Edit: A pound of tobacco, a goat, 5 chickens and 6cp in spare change is what I settled on.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2010-05-13 at 06:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #73

So, when are you going to audit my character? Or have you already done that?
    -Xavez

14. - Top - End - #74

If there's still space, let's take a shot.

Base Rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2517031/
    Free Re-roll (the Int 10) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2517035/
    Swap Dex and Wis.
    Random Trait: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2517043/

End profile - Str 12, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 15. I'm Quick though.

Extremely, extremely average...but I want to aim high. Specifically, Paladin high. With that as my goal, would you allow me a Heavy Horse as a Wild Cohort, which would eventually end up as my Special Mount?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-05-13 at 06:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground

You could always take Craft (Horse) to get one at 1/3 the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

It's looking like I'll have 2 groups running around the same village perhaps, so there may be room yet. I'll finalize groupings tomorrow.

The audits are as currently posted. When I have more done, I'll post then.

As for carrying trade goods, you live in the starting village right now, so you don't have to carry all your worldly possessions around with you like some kind of adventurer.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2010-05-13 at 06:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #77

You could always take Craft (Horse) to get one at 1/3 the price.
    as cool as Frankenhorse would be, I don't see it matching with a typical Paladin-wannabe.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry about the stat mixup; I simply entered them in the wrong order by accident.

Got rid of the Caltrops and trade gooded most of my remaining wealth.

I don't know what else I'm going to list other than my wound points, since NPC classes don't get vitality points.
    Last edited by Claudius Maximus; 2010-05-13 at 08:22 PM.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

19. - Top - End - #79

Sorry about the stat mixup; I simply entered them in the wrong order by accident.

I don't know what else I'm going to list other than my wound points, since NPC classes don't get vitality points.
    They don't?
    -Xavez
    EDIT: new sheet link here
    Last edited by Darklord Xavez; 2010-05-13 at 08:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Vitality points seem to be identical to hit points. Barbarians get 12 at first, roll a d12 when they level, Fighters get 10, roll a d10, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Vitality points seem to be identical to hit points. Barbarians get 12 at first, roll a d12 when they level, Fighters get 10, roll a d10, etc.
    and we would get 4+Con bonus, right, then Con Score in wound points?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD and presumably UA
    Vitality points are only granted by the “heroic” classes, such as the standard character classes and various prestige classes. The NPC classes—adept, aristocrat, commoner, expert and warrior—grant no vitality points (either at 1st level or thereafter). Such characters have wound points equal to their Constitution score.
    This is what I'm basing that claim off of.
    Editor and playtester for Legend.

23. - Top - End - #83

I see.
    -Xavez

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, I must have missed that when I went with the system or I just glanced over it without noticing.

For our purposes, since you're PCs, you get Vitality points. You don't need to be that squishy, eh?

Also, damn, there's a lot of you Detached people. You all must be related or something (considering it's a thorp, that could very well be...) Also applying to Born Heroes. Born under some star or something...

Finally, by popular demand, Xavez's character audit!

Math error in your stats, for 3+3+4=10, not 11. Also, according Int should be 12, according to your rolls.
    The thrown spear attack bonus should be +3, not +4 and the spear's damage bonus should be +2.
    Diplomacy should have a +4 misc bonus, as you have +2 from being a Half Elf and +2 from Negotiator.
    Starting gold seems to be 22 gp, which is more than commoner starting gold, so I'm not sure where you got that. I suppose it could be the adhoced ring throwing me off, as i used a signet ring. mayhaps i missed one in A&EG or some such...
    Waterskins weigh should be 4 lbs, not 1.
    Also, same on the caltrops as I mentioned to Claudius.

@The Glyphstone: That's kinda getting Super-Mounty with the Wild Special Mount, neh? Though, I'm not sure if you could choose a Wild Cohort as a Special Mount, as only the Devoted Tracker feat seems to let you get away with that, so I'm not sure, honestly.

For groupings, that'll have to wait till next week, as this has been quite the day for me and I doubt I'll have internet over the weekend, so I'll be back Monday or so.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #85

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, we are not allowed to multiclass before we finish buying off our warrior/expert/adept levels, right?

EDIT: might as well throw out some less-relevant questions.

would you also allow the Mantled Warrior ACF (I ask because I like having options )? it can be found right above the soulbound weapon ACF here.

can specific feats be allowed into the campaign if they're not from the allowed books? I don't want to destroy the campaign or anything; I just think that tashlatora might be fun to have around/available.

and what are your feelings on somewhat-obscure PrCs? I was looking at Ghostbreaker and it sounds like a lot of fun. possibly useless, but fun nevertheless.

EDIT2: It's from Hyperconscious. a Swords and Sorcery book. . I guess that rules it out.
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-05-15 at 01:27 AM.

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler
    Just to make sure I understand this correctly, we are not allowed to multiclass before we finish buying off our warrior/expert/adept levels, right?
    I'm only responding to this because I asked a similar question, which Cieryn answered as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Cieryn
    On multiclassing, I don't see an issue with people multiclassing, as some combinations they want on the tail end of multiclassing may require it, like Sorcadins needing Warrior/Bloodline Adept.
    I think that means it's okay to multiclass Warrior/Expert/Adept etc. as needed for your concept.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87

Finally, by popular demand, Xavez's character audit!

Math error in your stats, for 3+3+4=10, not 11. Also, according Int should be 12, according to your rolls.
    The thrown spear attack bonus should be +3, not +4 and the spear's damage bonus should be +2.
    Diplomacy should have a +4 misc bonus, as you have +2 from being a Half Elf and +2 from Negotiator.
    Starting gold seems to be 22 gp, which is more than commoner starting gold, so I'm not sure where you got that. I suppose it could be the adhoced ring throwing me off, as i used a signet ring. mayhaps i missed one in A&EG or some such...
    Waterskins weigh should be 4 lbs, not 1.
    Also, same on the caltrops as I mentioned to Claudius.
    Fixed the stats.
    Fixed the spear bonus, and damage is 1d8+3 (it's two-handed).
    Got the diplomacy.
    Ring was not purchased, has no effect, and is a family heirloom. Very important to Tharivol.
    Got the waterskin.
    Fixed the caltrops. Now a shovel!
    New link here.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    I think that means it's okay to multiclass Warrior/Expert/Adept etc. as needed for your concept.
    so, say, a fighter/rogue could go warrior/expert all the way then trade off the expert levels for rogue levels and the warrior levels for fighter levels?

that's something I was wondering, but that wasn't really my question (though now that I read it, it certainly looks like it was). I shouldn't have used the word multiclassing.

what I meant to ask was about whether or not we're allowed to take PrCs before we are finished trading off NPC levels. the rules are somewhat hazy on this.

example: Sir Bob Punchalot is a level 7 warrior and he wants to start trading his NPC levels away. he makes it all the way to level 8 and he is now a warrior 6/fighter 1 with one open level. can he use this new level to advance into a PrC, or must he wait until level 11 to pick up his level in warhulk?.

I have salty tastes.

29. - Top - End - #89

@The Glyphstone: That's kinda getting Super-Mounty with the Wild Special Mount, neh? Though, I'm not sure if you could choose a Wild Cohort as a Special Mount, as only the Devoted Tracker feat seems to let you get away with that, so I'm not sure, honestly.

Actually, I hadn't been thinking about the Supermount, but having a Wild Cohort until I got Paladin 5, then letting it become my Special Mount and retraining Wild Cohort into something else.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Actually, I hadn't been thinking about the Supermount, but having a Wild Cohort until I got Paladin 5, then letting it become my Special Mount and retraining Wild Cohort into something else.
    Read the rules link in the OP, you don't retrain feats/skill points.
    -Xavez