New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Where Does the Time Go? (IC)

They, like the cops that walk outside with them, get into their cars to leave.

Do you still follow them?
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I do....I want to see what was in the envelope and where they go. My thoughts are to shanghai them and get the envelope at some point.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2010-07-11 at 06:22 PM.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

3. - Top - End - #123

"Is everything alright, Detective Murray?" asks one of the uniforms outside.

"Yeah, yeah," answers the older detective. "Their security guard is okay - no ambulance needed. They're not even sure if he was jumped or if he fell unconscious. I tol' 'em to call me if anything else strange happens."

The cars (four total) pull out and start heading away ... with you paying particular attention to the one with the two detectives (an unmarked car, they pulled the port-a-bubble back inside). After some driving back into the heart of the city, the cars peel off one-by-one and you just have this one car left.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Tailing the one car, I attempt to fly in close enough to maybe hear a conversation......

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

5. - Top - End - #125

There's no way you're going to hear a conversation in the car while flying over the car driving with a running motor. The windows are up.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Then I will continue to trail the car closely.....

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

aaaannnnnd I'm stiiiiilllllll trailing.......

8. - Top - End - #128

On duty, the detectives make their way to a place called Voodoo Donuts.

Yes, cops at a donut shop ....
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Welcome to Voodoo Donuts, my name is Janos, and I'll be the guy drinking coffee in the back.

[OOC]Just letting you know I've subscribed to the thread.[/OOC]
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

10. - Top - End - #130

The unmarked car pulls into one of those "Reserved for HCP" spots right in front of the shop. The area surrounding the car and walkway and inside the shop is brightly lit, albeit with lots of fun, interesting colors (and some hippie decor) .... which is easily seen through the big windows.

Cloak, what do you do?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'll discreetly find an alleyway, decloak (Ha ha! I love saying that!) unobserved and enter the doughnut shoppe posing as Guy Normal and go through the motions of getting doughnuts and coffee and sit near enough to try to eavesdrop.

12. - Top - End - #132

Donovan Crane

Now, though a bit too hippie for either of you (given your backgrounds and actions, mind you), this is a cool donut place. They got all sorts of crazy donut types. Their top seller is a little man-shape donut with icing on top to complete the figure of a man look. It has raspberry jam inside, and a couple of small stick pretzels are served with it, complete with being filled with 'blood.' The pretzels are sticking in the center of the man, so it looks like a voodoo fetish doll has been stabbed by the 'pins' (pretzels). Good, high-calorie, morbid family fun. It piques Don's interest and he buys one (along with coffee or beverage of choice). You might actually get a sandwich as well to make it a meal.

You can get a booth across the little walkway from the cops (they may be 'plainclothes', but they practically have 'cop' all but branded on their forehead). You only get that because a couple gets up and you sit down while the busboy is still getting the table clean.

You spend several minutes slowly munchy-wunchin' on your sandwich. The cops are on the window side, and you are on the 'inboard' side, separated by that cheap, raised 'wall' at a booth separating patrons from kitchen. The cops talk about normal, boring cop-stuff. Now, you visibly perk up but make sure not to look when with peripheral you notice the 50-ish cop take out the envelope and flip through it real quick, taking out a letter and a picture (that you can't see). "Huh, looks like Marshall Endicott has it in for her."

"Has it in for who?" asks the upper-30s/ early-40s partner.

"C'mon, Solly. Guess."

"Proud Mary?"

"Yup, her. He wants us to go down to her bar and start giving her grief. Says she's been getting a little ornery in sending bikers out to rough up his boys."

Donovan Crane ... describe yourself!

Janos Gehlewat

Janos, you're off-duty and sipping your coffee and enjoying a Lucky Charms vanilla-filled donut. (Some of the donuts are soft-filled or glazed-cake style that have classic cereal/marshallows on the top.) You casually note two salty detectives come in. Whatever, it's a donut shop, right?

What gets your attention is the ginger-haired fellow that comes in behind them, who looks like .... (BuckGodot, insert description). What's particular is that this guy doesn't look like a cop. Strong, though more wiry than buff, and moves with the very concept of defense in mind. One of those guys who are trained to always keep their guard up for defense - mentally or physically. You also note that he is 'carrying' from tell-tale bulges ... sure, most wouldn't notice, but you do.

As he gets his donuts, he notes where the cops sit, but seems trained enough not to really focus on it ... getting a Hungry Houngan (tasty sandwich of more bulk and qualty than a DD or Starbucks sandwich; VooDoo donut; coffee). A couple gets up, and he seems to make it a point - without trying to make it a point - to sit at the booth across from theirs.

He seems to have some skills. He knows how to be casual in looking around or maintaining internal presence. The older detective pulls out an envelope and starts talking with his partner - referencing a letter and some photograph. That's when this other guy tips his hand. The lone man begins to sit up and drink and eat in measured manner, and is as interested in what the detectives are carrying than anything. You can tell, because when he sat down, there was the classic stranger-greets-stranger look of this man and one of the detectives with the eyes. Once that envelope comes out, it is as if there is a wall and this lone man almost makes a point not to look at the detectives, but still showing body language that has him 'engaged.'

Janos, what do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-01-18 at 07:30 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post

Donovan Crane ... describe yourself!
    He is approximately 5'9 and around 180. As mentioned, lithe but muscular. Red hair, dressed casually in jeans, t-shirt and button down overshirt, not tucked or buttoned so that it flows free.

14. - Top - End - #134

HalflingRangerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Janos Gehlewat is a half Indian/half something Eastern European man with average looks. His hair is short, thick, and black, and he has the appearance of a comfortable adult in his prime. A close look at his physique indicates he spends a serious amount of time exercising, and his posture suggests he might be some sort of martial artist. While Janos is supposed to be off-duty, you might notice that the sugary-sweet donut sitting in front of him is torn apart, but he hasn't eaten any of it. The coffee, however, is about half-empty. What may be disturbing are his eyes. They're black, and the irises seem to bleed into the sclera, even the blood vessels in his eyes are black. Those who are attuned to mystical forces will notice a very powerful aura surrounding him. However, he's wearing an olive bush jacket, some sort of natural-hued sweater, jeans, and something that looks like canvas combat boots. He's well-groomed, but doesn't seem overly fussy about it.

If Janos can see the subject of the photo without attracting attention, he'll make a mental note of it. Otherwise, he just notes the transfer of the envelope from one "officer" to the next. He also takes note of the wiry guy watching the cops.
    May you have a rare disease and need an operation that only one surgeon in the world, the winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine, is able to perform. And may he be unable to perform it because he doesn’t take your insurance. And may that Nobel Laureate be your son.

15. - Top - End - #135

D.C.: I'm guessing, then, that the gun you carry is in your jeans at the small of your back ... which is why the oversirt is loose and untucked?

J.G.: You don't get a good luck at the photo ... neither of you do.

D.C.: What's your intention after this point?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Your assesment of my choice of attire would be correct. My plan would be to fall back to my original idea, which is to acquire the envelope. If it seems like they are close to leaving, I want to exit before them, cloak up again and try to get the drop on them. It should be easy to take an envelope from 2 plain clothes normals.

17. - Top - End - #137

HalflingRangerGuy

Janos is going to allow about 30 seconds to go by after Donovan leaves to follow the "cops," then follow the three of them to see what's going on.

18. - Top - End - #138

Spoiler
    Show
    And no sooner do we begin (or rather, resurrect) this thread, then I have to put it on hold again. Without my computer and all of the sources on it, I'm kind of helpless.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

HalflingRangerGuy

Janos wonders why time has immediately begun to stand still. Coffee is frozen in mid-pour while the Cambodian donut-peddler grins at a customer who is awkwardly tilting a binder, failing to stop his cruller from spilling onto the floor. The customer has a look of dismay on his face, as the cruller tips precariously off the binder, going nowhere. The "cops" are in mid-motion, both of them lurched forward to push themselves back in their chairs, ready to stand. The other guy watching the "cops" is looking intently at the two men, as he blows a curl of steam from the top of his coffee, which is motionless in it's movement away from his pursed lips. Janos himself is aware that time has dilated, but he can't seem to muster the concern one would normally have in finding that he can't move. He can register the dilation of time, even if he can't move his eyeballs, much less any other part of his body. All he can do is wait for time to continue moving as it would normally, which should happen...any...day...now...

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Crane seems to hear music in his ears....Sounds strangely like the Jeopardy countdown music.....

21. - Top - End - #141

HalflingRangerGuy

Janos is hearing the theme to "I Dream of Jeanie."

22. - Top - End - #142

Janos, the lone gunman on the grassy knoll unknown tough in the gassy booth gets up and walks out. Do you do anything? or, just chalk it up to the interesting people that you'll find in Hudson City?
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're in Hudson City, NJ, vice NYC .... you were sent down to investigate the bombing of City Hall. Hudson City is a lot like Gotham City (which isn't like NYC at all to me) - very old, very dirty, very corrupt.

Crane, I imagine you go to the back alley again and pop to Cloak?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-01-28 at 12:55 PM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Crane, I imagine you go to the back alley again and pop to Cloak?
    Your imagination is keenly on target......That would be correct.

Spoiler
    Show
    Congrats on getting your 'puter back!

24. - Top - End - #144

HalflingRangerGuy

Something's up, and those cops are being really shady. Janos is going to continue to observe.

25. - Top - End - #145

The plainclothes get up to leave and start heading out the door .... Janos? Just going to watch them go, half-amusedly?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

HalflingRangerGuy

Yeah, the tough guy seemed awful interested, and the cops seem really sketchy. Something tells me that tagging along is a good idea.
    Last edited by srgonzo; 2012-01-30 at 10:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

"Tagging along" is vague, man. I need a more concrete plan of action that constitutes "tagging along." To me, that means that you end up riding with them, in the same way as a little sister is sent by mom & dad to "tag along" with older brother when he goes on a date.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148

HalflingRangerGuy

My intent is to shadow these two cops. I want to see what they're doing and where they're going, but I don't want them to notice me.

29. - Top - End - #149

They get into their car (parked right in front of the donut shop). You pay your bill and get out just behind them and make your way to the Chevy Impala you're driving (much less conpicuous than a Crown Vic). And you start to follow them at a distance.

Cloak, you fly up and you then notice the cops leaving. What now?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

They get into their car...

Cloak, you fly up and you then notice the cops leaving. What now?
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! I never wanted them to get that far.......I planned to catch them before they got into the car....