New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: 2011 OOTS Ornament + New CafePress Shirts, Laptop Skins, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by INDYSTAR188 View Post
    Giant,

I ordered some merchandise (both for me and my daughter). I love the art work, quotes are hilarious, read the comic - generally I'm a huge fan of your stuff. But I have to tell you it's hard to bring myself to pay $22-30 dollars for a printed t-shirt. I appreciate that your trying to make money and I'm sure cafepress requires a large sum of that money too, I just thought I would post that if the shirts were in the $15 - 20 dollar range I would buy more of them.

Thanks for your time and happy holidays!
    Thank you for your order, and I understand. The thing is, CafePress charges me between $16-$30 for a shirt to begin with. The only portion of those t-shirt prices which actually comes to me is the last $6 or $7, depending on the design and product. This is because CafePress is a Print-on-Demand printer, which means the per-unit cost is high compared to a bulk printer. So I'm actually incapable of lowering the price to $15 for any shirt (or $20 for all but the most basic tees) without simply not offering them at all.

The reason I use them anyway is that because they are P.O.D., I don't need to pay them upfront in order for them to make the shirts. They simply charge the amount listed, then produce the shirt and send me a portion. Also, it allows me to experiment with designs and/or shirt styles that may end up being less popular without any risk that I will end up with a huge financial loss (not to mention a warehouse full of unwanted stuff).

By way of contrast, we sell bulk printed tees at Ookoodook, which you will see are exactly in the $15-20 range...but you'll also notice that there are only a handful of designs and each is available on exactly one style of t-shirt. It's also hard to predict what sizes to stock; some of those shirts have sold out of one size while having dozens of another left. As much as I would like to be able to lower the prices, unfortunately it's not really viable to switch to bulk printing for all of my t-shirt needs.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

I also absolutely love the kiddie shirts. A lot of great thought seems to have gone into them.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    What does 1d6+4 on Celia Score mean or equivalent to? (I am not familiar with D&D Damage system)
    5-10. 1d6+4 means the result of one thrown 6 sided die (the d6) plus 4.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I nearly squeed when I saw the car stickers. (Window st - ! YES. And, and there's Team Evil and a magnet option and and and...) That could've been embarrassing. Then I realized that a) no car, and b) no monies. Why, oh why, did I drink it all away?

Hmm. How can I connive someone else into buying them for me? Regardless, these are awesome and I want one and I'm so happy that they're almost tangibly out there, but when I do come into some disposables I will most likely blow it on completing my collection of the books, so that I'll have more source material to back up my...research.

Still. Made my day.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm just wondering whether this announcement confirms that there will be no reprints on the out of stock books (2,3 and 4) before Christmas. Previously you said you were going to say something about it in September.

Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Oh. Yeah. Book availability and all that.

Now that I come to think of it, what I should spend my hypothetical future money on is a onesie or something for my cousin's new baby. I like the O-Chul gear especially. Dude. That's money worth borrowing.

Time to go scrounging.

7. - Top - End - #37

GreenSorcererElf

Ooh, Ooh! We totally need a Banjo "Fish" car magnet.
    Like this
    http://www.zazzle.com/darwin_fish_in...12835453614263

But with a Banjo Outline.

And how about some loveterror for Banjhulu?
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

D'aaww. The Thog, Hinjo, and Lien shirts almost makes me want to make babies just to see a baby wear it. Or at least borrow a baby.

The Fantasy Fantasy one reminds me to do something. Drop. Drop. Drop.

But the Neutral one will be purchased once present buying is all done.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

These new designs look great! The shirt prices on cafepress are killer, but I do understand the economic and business sense behind the decision. For me having a variety of shirts is better than having no shirts at all. I can't buy as many as I'd like but at least I can get something. Looking forward to having Christmas presents for my group!
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

...omg, I want the Fantasy Fantasy bag.

But I also want to play the Fantasy Fantasy game o.o Please tell me I'm not the only one xD
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

11. - Top - End - #41

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Serranex View Post
    I'm just wondering whether this announcement confirms that there will be no reprints on the out of stock books (2,3 and 4) before Christmas. Previously you said you were going to say something about it in September.

Thanks!
    Unfortunately, yes.

Which is a shame, I still need WaXP and NCfPB to round out my collection.
    Last edited by Procyonpi; 2011-11-22 at 05:30 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    Unfortunately, yes.

Which is a shame, I still need WaXP and NCfPB to round out my collection.
    My apologies, didn't see that announcement. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Fantasy fantasy

Nooo, don't trade out Weasley. Sure, they're both important sidekicks who help destroy the Ultimate Evil, but Weasley MARRIES EMMA WATSON!!!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

I cant wait to see what the LAW shirt reads? Perhaps the Futurama reference with the poster in episode 1?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

I looked through the new merchandise again today. I'm still not sure what will end up on my Definite Wish List, but a thought occured to me. Should I ever have twins, both of them will be dressed in the My Evil Twin Did It shirts, with felt pin-on arrows, one pointing to the left and the other to the right. There's no escaping the webcomic geekery

Also, I guess I'll be waiting for the LAW design (Celia? The attorneys? Next year's Holiday announcement? *giddy with excitement*) and then I'll get a complete alignment set

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I love the turn undead shirt, simply awesome.

Also, sort of random question that seems to fit in this thread: I saw you probably wouldn't be able to reprint the books before the holidays, but do you plan on reprinting them in January? I know a couple of people who wouldn't mind them as belated gifts.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Just a general FYI for the non-US crowd: If you're worried about shipping / customs, you should know that Cafepress has sites for Australia, UK, Canada, and Europe. It may still cost a small fortune to get OOTS books delivered, but t-shirts and other swag is affordable!
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

18. - Top - End - #48

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Serranex View Post
    My apologies, didn't see that announcement. Thanks!
    There was no formal announcement, so unless you're very active on the forum and / or obsessively stalk the giant's comments, you would have no reason to know.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

I take it that the Fantasy Fantasy chaps are done with the slightly different art style mentioned as being part of the Snips Snails and Dragon Tales book (which I didn't buy)?

I find their lack of stick figure arms ... disturbing.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Um, guys, has anyone else noticed that Leeky Windstaff seems to still be a part of the Linear Guild? CAN WE EXPECT TO SEE HIM?

I wish shirtless Jacob had made it onto the Turn Undead shirt. Buying it anyway!
    Last edited by WickedWizard17; 2011-11-23 at 05:34 PM.
    Chairman of the Therkla Memorial Center for the Rehabilitation of Evil NPCs (One-eyed Goblins Welcome!)

"Let us remember her, not as a delusional sociopath with some form of abandonment/betrayal issues and a tendency towards narcissism, but as someone who loved, and who felt she was worthy of love." - deworde

21. - Top - End - #51

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWizard17 View Post
    Um, guys, has anyone else noticed that Leeky Windstaff seems to still be a part of the Linear Guild? CAN WE EXPECT TO SEE HIM?
    Sigh. If it wasn't already obvious from stuff like the OoTS poster and the cover of SoD:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The presence, absence, position, or style of any character on any piece of merchandise has no bearing on any future (or past) plot points. I design the merchandise to look good and sell well. Usually, I specifically design the merchandise in order to avoid any sort of plot relevance; the Thog kids shirt still has all his tusks unbroken, for example. I generally choose the most "iconic" look for each character, if there is such a thing.

In the case of Leeky, there were three reasons I chose him:
    1. He was shorter than Hilgya, and thus better parodied the "child" slot of the original family stickers.
    2. He is the only druid in the comic, and has strong appeal to people who like druids.
    3. He is significantly less of a pain in the ass to convert to line art than Hilgya is, due to differences in how I constructed the art way back during the first book. And I had a lot of art to make for those shirts.

I assure you that reason #3 was the biggest factor, by a fair margin.

Also, my lack of commenting on a topic does not implicitly confirm or deny the proposition being put forth. Sometimes, I just don't care enough to respond. I may be low on time and decide that something is too trivial to bother answering. Heck, the fact that I respond to things at all is a relatively recent development.
    Last edited by Procyonpi; 2011-11-23 at 06:26 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by eusticepious View Post
    Giant-

You deserve to earn money from content this good. In past years I have placed orders and thrown away the product because your work should produce healthy income for you but I do not like my home to be cluttered with things. I do not want to buy and throw-away this year. As someone who checks this site daily, I want it to bring as much joy to you as it does to me and income-production contributes to that (it's obviously not everything). What do you suggest? For me the ads on the forum have been ideal.

Best,
    Eustice Pious
    You could always pick a playgrounder at random, contact him, and purchase stuff for him.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

23. - Top - End - #53

The current sale is a little underwhelming: $0.50 off ornaments and $1 off stockings, no coupon needed. I'm not sure whether there will also be a coupon for Black Friday, but if so, I haven't heard about it yet.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I collect shot glasses so you've finally found the guft for me.... i just cant pick one!!

25. - Top - End - #55

Why are the shot glasses and laptop cases not advertised more prominently?!!

Those are the only things I am marginally likely to buy, and yet they're the last things listed. Especially shot glasses, since they're fantastic gifts (or stocking-stuffers, but maybe not at these prices...), deserve more than a postscript.

I love D&D and OotS but I'm a closeted gamer, so I would never wear a gaming t-shirt* and don't know many people IRL who game for whom I could buy one. But I'm seriously considering a shot glass (and maybe one as a present, too) and half-considering a laptop skin. A laptop skin is particularly appropriate for a webcomic!

Also, have you considered shot glasses with just characters' heads? I would without a doubt buy one of those.

That's a lot about my personal preferences, but consider it market research.

GO BLUE

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

i LOVE that Laptop cover!!! i read that Cafepress has a site for Europe too? i'll check it out IMMEDIATELY!

And by the way, Giant, great job as Always.
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Too bad the Evil Twin & Troublemaker designs aren't on adult size shirts. I would be tempted to buy one of each if so.
    Love the designs overall, lots of good stuff. I'll be making a wish list while waiting for a new sale to come along.

28. - Top - End - #58

Two new sales to update you on:

First, for "Cyber Monday," Nov. 28 only, it's free shipping (economy shipping only) on orders over $40. Coupon Code: SHOPNOV28

After that, Tuesday through Thursday, Nov. 29 to Dec. 1, it's 15% off orders of $45 or more. Coupon Code: ADEC1145

Now, that second sale is a far, FAR better deal than free economy shipping. If you're reading this and planning on ordering, I highly recommend not ordering on Monday and instead placing your order on Tuesday. "Economy shipping" only costs about $5.25 for one item plus $0.50 for every additional item anyway. This means that 15% off will almost always be more savings once you go past the $40 mark anyway, and could potentially be much more if you really had a lot of items you were buying.
    Rich Burlew

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Giant, I followed your advice last year and ordered from cafepress.co.uk, and it worked just fine. Last year's 10$ off coupon worked without difficulty, but this year's 15% off coupon is "not valid for my purchases". Is it the .co.uk-site or maybe the shipping destination (Austria)? Do you have any other coupon codes up your sleeve? I'll wait for now, hopefully the next coupon will work, but the gift giving unit would like the order to arrive before Christmas :/

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by honigmuffin View Post
    Giant, I followed your advice last year and ordered from cafepress.co.uk, and it worked just fine. Last year's 10$ off coupon worked without difficulty, but this year's 15% off coupon is "not valid for my purchases". Is it the .co.uk-site or maybe the shipping destination (Austria)? Do you have any other coupon codes up your sleeve? I'll wait for now, hopefully the next coupon will work, but the gift giving unit would like the order to arrive before Christmas :/
    I have no idea what would be the problem; my understanding is that the UK and CA sites are exactly the same as the US one, in terms of sales and such. Does your order contain any of the "excluded items" from the fine print?

I don't know what coupon codes may be coming down the pike after this one, they don't tell me until a day before they start. In previous years, they had a coupon or sale every day until Christmas, but as you can see with the Cyber Monday sale, some of them are subpar.
    Rich Burlew