New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Rings of Destiny

The hallway is long and lined with dust, though how the dust appeared was a mystery in and of itself; there are no cracks in the seemless walls and floor, the stone preventing external interruptions from taking place. Lining the hallway are several doors, each identical, but she knew where to go.

Pushing open one of the doors - an oddity that the stone door-opening was silent when her breathing and footsteps were not!- she entered, with confidence mixed with trepidation.

As soon as she entered, the door swung shut, and a burst of blue light filled the contours of the door, which dissipated to reveal...nothing. The lines were gone. The door was gone.

She didn't expect that. But she knew, she knew that she might be stuck there. That only if she completes her task, could she be freed. Turning away from the door, she scanned the room. Eight statues, dusty and old (how did the dust get here too?), line the walls, all facing towards the centre, occupied by a huge slab. A tomb.

Stepping forwards, she wiped off the dust on the slab, revealing words, old and ancient, and simply thus: "Read the Book."

She dug out the book from her satchel, and placed it on the slab. The book was red, with a cover showing a gold ring. Above the defining picture, the title stood out.

The Rings of Destiny

And she began Reading Aloud.

---

Chapter One: Exploring, Defining, Accentuating

Mountain climbed, his warforged body easily overcoming the challenges set by the pathetic mound of rock in his path. If he had the new-fangled InforX-3000 installed, right now, it would be displaying temperature (cool), humidity (average), time (10am), and the events of today (2nd Day of Celebrations, regards to Town Adonis (demographic: Mainly human), Proximity: Close.

If he was ever so inclined, that add-on would also have displayed information of the Celebration itself, like this:

Adonis
    Every year, a small human town, Adonis, celebrates a festival, lasting one week, commemorating the time where they prevented a powerful cult of Orcus from summoning it into this plane. It is during this festival, where hundreds of races, from the mighty dragonborn to the beautiful elves, gather together, put aside differences, and have a good time (although many are wary of tieflings, and other races with a bad reputation).

Today is a little special, with several spellcasters coming together at 11am to call forth a black dragon and the celebrated heroes to do battle. All illusions, of course, to commerate the time they overcame a black dragon in their task to stop Orcus.

Now, however, he are climbing his namesake, for mention of a cave above, which he knew was close.

Climbing over the last ledge, but his eyes tell him something is wrong. Blood leads in, though if he enters, he would only find five other innocent people.

A Thri-Kreen that is fairly tall, and not particularly heavily built, helping him slip in unnoticed when the need arises, and helps with his athletic ability. Still rather young, he moves about especially quickly for a Thri-Kreen. His exoskeleton is completely gray, unusual for a Thri-Kreen, but not unheard of. He wears dark, hooded cloaks, trying to keep from being seen.

A Elf that is tall, wiry, and very thin. He has beautiful silver hair that hangs to his shoulders, matched by his pale grey eyes. He dresses in what appears to be once-fine elven robes, at least when he isn't begging in the streets or scamming patrons at the local tavern. When he is, however, he's garbed in ratty, tattered, linen shirts. He's underweight and underfed, another factor that helps in his begging. Malus is rather paranoid and skittish, due to a few tragedies in nis past. He's also quite squeamish at the sight of blood. He has an odd quirk, in which he starts to flip a "lucky" coin, often to make decisions, when he's nervous.

A shifter, a Genasi and a half-elf half-hidden in shadow.

The cave is small, and contains nothing, save a path leading further in, and a orb on the floor. How curious.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: The Rings of Destiny

Tar-Kan shook his head. He had been in this cave for hours, unknown to the others. He had stayed in hiding, wondering of their motives. One by one, they had come in, and he had watched. He had assumed they would be leaving shortly, to join in the festivities of Adonis. But there they stayed, and no one had yet spoken. Then the Warforged had entered. Now Tar-Kan was angry. Ioun had shown him this cavern to continue his works, and now there were defilers. It was almost too much to bear. He leapt from the shadows, swinging his spiked chain. "All of you, out of here! I have come to praise Ioun here, and you are trespassing on sacred ground! You, Tin Man, turn back whence you came!" He glared at each one in turn, praying to Ioun for the strength to defeat them.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Mountain was puzzled. Why would a being who was metallic in color deride another with slanders such as "Tin Man". How insulting. Tin. Really. He calmed himself, knowing that the mortal races were often brash and feeling they needed to prove themselves to each other in their short years. He knew they were wrong of course. It was only to themselves and the world (and perhaps the gods) that they need prove anything to. Then again, perhaps he himself was being hasty in his judgement. The insectoid one had mentioned he was here on religious business.

"If that is your wish. However, you may have worse than those assembled here to worry about." Mountain said, motioning to the blood and then to the strange orb. "As I have already made my way here, I would give assistance if you feel you may require it."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Tar-Kan raised an eyebrow, or he would have, if he had one, and lowered his weapon. "Perhaps it is best if you tell me why you have come to this place."

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"I have-" Mountain cut off as he noticed the young Genasi reaching for the orb. Fearing it might be dangerous, he took a few steps and placed a hand on the teenager's shoulder, "Stop, little one." ((How could a towering metal giant surprising you go wrong!? ))
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2012-05-28 at 07:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

As Cheemormechee Thraixhon-und reaches for the orb that has transfixed his mind since he entered this cave he feels a large hand(?) on his shoulder it can only mean one thing. MONSTERS.

Ducking out from under the hand, he dashes across the cave, turning around he pulls out his dagger.

Seeing Mountain and the other people are not monsters, "Hey, I know what you are big ma- Hey what's that!" probably not the best choice of words when pointing a dagger at a Thri-Kreen and asking what his weapon is.
    We love plural first person personal pronouns.
    Rejoice in the bosom of white text our child.
    Avatar by Gnomish Wanderer! (::) invisible cookies (::)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Tar-Kan was not amused. "Spiked chain. And if you don't want a closer look, I suggest you put your weapon down."

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Why wouldn't I want a closer look!" Clearly not hearing the threat the boy steps slowly forward, dagger firmly in his hand though at his side. "How do you use it in battle? Could you use it to scale a wall with no other tools? Have you ever lost it, or hurt yourse-" ((Somebody was bound to have stopped him around that point if not sooner.))
    Last edited by usourselves&we; 2012-05-28 at 09:47 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Shut up, shut up, shut up! All of you! You're giving me a headache worse than what I had already. I came here for some peace and quiet, and I was doing fine with that big, bondage-loving lug over in the corner." Rubbing his forehead, Malus points his readied crossbow vaguely towards the three as he emerges from the shadows.
    Last edited by Grue Bait; 2012-05-29 at 12:26 AM.
    Avatar by whatever Zjoot became.
    Will take suggested phrases in sig. PM with ideas
    Am I missed in my absence?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

A red-haired half elf, who had been observing from a corner, decided it was time to intervene. He didn't want things to get messy here.

"Alright, I think we all just need to calm down a bit. It's clear we've got some big personalities here, so let's take it back a notch before someone does something....unsavory.

How about we start with introductions? My name's Ligo."

He held out his hand to no-one in particular.
    Awesome Lion Avatar by the wonderful Mr. Saturn. Thanks

I have a bloog now. Go check it out if you love strange poetry.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

"Agreed. Waving weapons about like that is likely to result in someone getting hurt." said Mountain in a tone that implied "someone" did not include himself. "Greetings Ligo, you may call me Mountain."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Sure thing, ginger snap. How 'bout you call me 'That guy who'll put an arrow through my eye-socket if I don't stop playing nice, because I'm clearly faking?' 'Cuz that works pretty well for me." He points his crossbow at Ligo. "Now, how much cash you got on you?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    "Agreed. Waving weapons about like that is likely to result in someone getting hurt." said Mountain in a tone that implied "someone" did not include himself. "Greetings Ligo, you may call me Mountain."
    Ligo eyed the large warforged. "That's appropriate. It's nice to meet you, Mr. Mountain."

Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    "Sure thing, ginger snap. How 'bout you call me 'That guy who'll put an arrow through my eye-socket if I don't stop playing nice, because I'm clearly faking?' 'Cuz that works pretty well for me." He points his crossbow at Ligo. "Now, how much cash you got on you?"
    "Sort of a mouthful...do you have any nicknames?" His tone was calm and collected as he spoke, but he was a bit nervous, what with the crossbow aimed towards his face. He rather liked his eyes, and preferred that they be kept arrow free.
    Last edited by Zjoot; 2012-05-29 at 01:08 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh right, weapons are bad and all that, at least that's what people seem to say." Cheemormechee Thraixhon-und puts his dagger away. "Anyway, my name is Cheemormechee Thraixhon-und. It's nice to meet you Ligo, Mountain and Thatguywho'llputanarrowthroughmyeye-socketifIdon'tstopplayingnicebecauseI'mclearlyfaki ng, and uh, what are the other guys names? And um Thatguywho'llputanarrowthroughmyeye-socketifIdon'tstopplayingnicebecauseI'mclearlyfaki ng are you preforming a mugging, cause I've read about those and I don't think your doing it right."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Light footsteps could be heard outside, for those listening, instead of fighting.
    "Come here, bunny! No, don't go in there! It's dark!"
    A small brown rabbit entered the cave.
    ((don't have time for more))

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malus glances from Ligo to Chee. "My name's a mouthful? My god, I need two breaths for the kid here. And yes, you insolent munchkin, this is what the big kids call mugging. Why don't you run home to mommy, and she'll tell you all about it, maybe kiss a boo-boo or two." He makes a "give-it-here" gesture to Ligo. "Seriously now. Cough it up."
    Last edited by Grue Bait; 2012-05-29 at 01:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing something about a bunny, Mountain turned around in time to see one racing its way into the line of fire. He quickly bent down to scoop up the bunny to prevent in coming from any harm. Now armed with a cuddly bunny he turned around to the people he was beginning to feel would quickly get themselves into a lot of trouble.

He looked at the elf for a moment, said nothing and turned to Cheemormechee Thraixhon-und. "Cheemormechee Thraixhon-und, one cannot expect the fullness of life to fit on thin sheets made of the defilement of trees. Variation is often the key to success."

Turning back to Ligo he said, "Mountain will do. I am not over fond of formalities." With a pause for thought he continued, "Do you think the Elf meant to ask us to cease non-hostilities?"

((Edit: Grue, "spider kid"? &we is the Genasi. Penguinator is the Thri-Kreen.))
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2012-05-29 at 01:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What don't you get about 'shut up' and 'cough it up?' Now toss whatever shiny trinkets you got into a pile and leave me alone! That means you, musclehead, and you, Cheeky! You too, Chains!" Malus rests his hand on the hilt of his sword, ready to draw it and make them give up their gold.

((Edit: Whoops! Thanks Ramsus.))
    Last edited by Grue Bait; 2012-05-29 at 01:39 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ok, now you're just not thinking straight. I mean, do you really think it's a good idea to threaten a whole cave of people? There really is no reason we can't get along here..."

A final attempt before things start to get ugly...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Not only that but the way he went about this is all wrong, you need a show of force Thatguywho'llputanarrowthroughmyeye-socketifIdon'tstopplayingnicebecauseI'mclearlyfaki ng. Sure you have a crossbow but what can you do with it? Are you even a good shot?" Cheemormechee Thraixhon-und under stood what Mountain was saying and that this was likely a bad thing to do, but you really have to correct people when they are doing some thing the wrong way.
    Last edited by usourselves&we; 2012-05-29 at 02:06 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Wondering if "shiny trinkets" was meant to include himself, Mountain simply said, "No."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

"...Fine. But only because I feel some sort of misplaced kinship towards twinkle-toes." Malus stashes his weapon. "Besides, I can take it from you while you sleep," he mutters.

"What are you all doing here, anyway? Shouldn't you all be out celebrating or something equally wasteful?"
    Last edited by Grue Bait; 2012-05-29 at 02:14 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    "What are you all doing here, anyway? Shouldn't you all be out celebrating or something equally wasteful?"
    Tar-Kan's eye twitched angrily. "I. Am here. To praise. Ioun. God of Knowledge and Skill. Neither of which you seem to possess."

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

"Erm... Mister? Could you please put my bunny down? He doesn't like to be touched by strangers and I need to get him back to his family. If you don't mind, that is..."

My extended collection of avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony Tarquin by Dirtytabs

Killer Klown by Ceika

Stroop by Mr Gone

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

"No skill?!" In a flash, Malus draws his knife, flips it, and throws it past the Thri-kreen's head. He watches as it quivers in the wall behind Tar-Kan. "Trust me, roach, I could've killed you. And if you need more demonstration, I'll take a shot at that fuzzball in the big guy's arms." He strides past Tar-Kan to retrieve his blade.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

"If you had wished to strike, it would have been easy to sidestep and watch you fumble." The Thri-Kreen shook his head. "I do not much like your tone. I suggest you watch yourself. You have a big head. I suggest you begin to use it. It is unwise to challenge a cavern full of people." He nods towards the rabbit, adding, "And if any harm comes to the little one, then by Ioun's light, I will kill you."

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Handing over the bunny to the Shifter, "You may call me Mountain. Here is your rabbit. Worry not. It would not have come to harm in my possession. However," at this Mountain addressed the arguing pair, "it is quite natural for fleshlings to hunt rabbits. Being the subject of threats and anger is futile. When you two are done puffing up your chests in an attempt to attract absent mates, inform the rest of us so that we may proceed."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

"We'll be finished when he gives up a life of crime." The Thri-Kreen shook his head, but lowered his weapon and shifted back towards the shadow. "It will never truly be finished, but for now, it will have to do."

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

"It's not crime, oh holy one, it's taking from those of you who've got gold pouring outta your ears, and giving it to those of us who don't. 'S not my fault if I happen to be the less fortunate." He pulls his knife from the wall and sheathes it. Malus turns to Mountain. I'm done for now, big guy. The name's Malus. Don't ask for more, 'cuz you don't get more. Are you gonna keep that shiny ball of fun, or can I have it?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Following the gaze of Malus to the orb and looking upon it as if for the first time Cheemormechee Thraixhon-und says "That 'shiny ball of fun' as you put it Thatguywho'llputanarrowthroughmy-er Malus, Is a magical device that probably shouldn't be in the hands of some lamebrain such as yourself. It was probably recently used in some sort of ritual or something. And, um, what did you mean by 'shouldn't you all be out celebrating'? What's so special about today what would call for celebrating?"