New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Peebles' Perfectly Pointless Popular Prattle - Random Banter #211

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Everyone in here is speaking nonsense, and not the good sort that can responded to in kind, but the bad sort that requires specific responses to draw out a further response.

Nertz.
    And what's wrong with asking that?

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Are the villains an actual presence within the show that do anything other than make the Doctor look like a badass? (Say what you like about the RTD era, at least the villains were used well. Usually)
    Other then Missy? Not really. It's still Moffat.

Does the series now suddenly care about its previously established continuity?
    How far back? That is a bit of a loaded question, sense Doctor Who has a loose continuity, never quite as loose as it is with Moffat, but no. Maffat does not care about continuity. So, there you go there.

Is the mystery box aspect that plagued Moffat's era gone?
    No. He is Moffat.

Is Clara a consistent character?
    If you asking if she is constantly there, well she is the companion, so yes. If you asking if her personalty is consistent, then no. She does not have a personality. She is an event to effect the Doctor, and little else, that is how Moffat likes the characters. You know, props.

Is Danny Pink around for longer than the episode he dies in? Also, does anyone besides Danny Pink die? Because seriously, nobody important dies anymore which is kind of a problem when you want to convince us that the characters are in danger!!
    Danny Pink died. He has been back one episode later. A LOT of side characters died in one episode, on a train, doing a murder mystery disservice.

"I laugh at life, it's antics make for me a giddy game. Where only foolish fellows take themselves with solemn aim.”

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Yes. Missy.
    Okay. Anyone other than Missy?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    Other then Missy? Not really. It's still Moffat.
    Joy.

How far back? That is a bit of a loaded question, sense Doctor Who has a loose continuity, never quite as loose as it is with Moffat, but no. Maffat does not care about continuity. So, there you go there.
    At this point I'd settle for 'the season before this one'... or even just 'this season'.

There's only so loose you can go with your continuity before events stop mattering entirely. You can get away with continuity as loose as Moffat's in shows like Spongebob or sitcoms and the like because the show never tries to have an overarching story. When you try to do season-long story arcs like Moffat keeps doing, it's a problem.

If you asking if she is constantly there, well she is the companion, so yes. If you asking if her personalty is consistent, then no. She does not have a personality. She is an event to effect the Doctor, and little else, that is how Moffat likes the characters. You know, props.
    I was asking if the character was consistent (as in personality, skillset, intelligence, etc). That was the major problem I had with her: Jenna Louise-Coleman is a good actress, but Clara's personality was dictated by the whims of the plot. A well-written character will do the exact opposite whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyT
    Danny Pink died. He has been back one episode later. A LOT of side characters died in one episode, on a train, doing a murder mystery disservice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz
    Danny Pink is around for the season. And there are multiple recurring characters who die.
    Well that's halfway promising But I've only got the budget to buy one tv show this year. I'll stick to Pony.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2015-02-17 at 12:24 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That wasn't a question... You have confused me, LaZ. *hands out a cookie*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

RE: Dr Who

One of my professors (a Dr Abbott) has listed on his page that he is not to be confused with the fourth doctor, and links to this article on the matter.

Sue me, I thought it was funny.

Everyone in here is speaking nonsense, and not the good sort that can responded to in kind, but the bad sort that requires specific responses to draw out a further response.

Nertz.
    Well, the topic of Dr Who has at least sparked some back and forth, but yeah. Kind of a sad state of affairs.

It stifles conversation. It's draining to have to fight an uphill battle to have one in a thread ostensibly about them. It is, I suspect, the reason the old thread lasted for over two months instead of being burnt through in a week or two as the older RBs were.

I wanna cookie ;w;

ION: I think I can officially say that I have taken up drinking coffee at this point, as I'm purchasing it on an almost-daily basis now.

So, as a coffee n00b, is there any way to drink it at a reasonable temperature without scalding one's tongue? I would prefer having the use of my taste buds for the rest of the day, but some combination of impatience and inexperience result in my inevitably managing to 1) deign that my desire for the drink is more important than my taste buds and summarily burn myself, or 2) accidentally not drinking it quickly enough - getting distracted, the like - and returning to it only to find my coffee has gone cold.

Wat do?

Also, I've been drinking pretty much just espresso (for the caffeine content) and want to branch out a bit, so... Any suggestions on coffee things that are good to try? Brands, general types, ways to prepare it, places to buy from, food that goes good with each/in general, etc. I prefer my coffee black (mostly out of principle, because I'm an insufferable purist on the matter despite not partaking in the drink very much, but I'm also trying not to add any extra sugar to my diet where I can help it), so coffees that stand alone excellently are especially welcome.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2015-02-17 at 12:41 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground

Derp, I read that wrong. Nom.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    It stifles conversation. It's draining to have to fight an uphill battle to have one in a thread ostensibly about them. It is, I suspect, the reason the old thread lasted for over two months instead of being burnt through in a week or two as the older RBs were.
    Indeed it does...

I wanna cookie ;w;
    Don't you have a test to be studying for? Fine, here's a cookie. Maybe that'll motivate you to study.

Derp, I read that wrong. Nom.
    Silly LaZ. *gives another cookie*

*gives the whole RB a cookie*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't you have a test to be studying for? Fine, here's a cookie. Maybe that'll motivate you to study.

Silly LaZ. *gives another cookie*

Um, funny thing about that. I was supposed to have a test today, but in the middle of my multi class, I got an email from my circuits prof that he was moving the exam to wednesday on account of the snow - I'm guessing because he didn't want to drive out here in it. A few minutes later, I get an email saying my only afternoon class on tuesday is cancelled, probably for the same reason. Then I get an email from the university saying they've closing offices (and therefore cancelling class) at noon, thereby freeing me from my afternoon classes.

And I got an email earlier tonight that the university is opening up at noon tomorrow, which means that I also will be missing my only remaining class (which starts at 11am), and therefore have no school tomorrow either.

I have squandered this time mercilessly, as I am wont to do.

Aw yiss, cookie

>giving the entirety of RB one cookie
    Oh, I see we're trying to start a fight over food, here.
    A few odds and ends.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Banned

Aah, okay.

Also hey Rayman might be in Smash 4. Video link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    It's looking pretty legit at this point. If it ends up confirmed, that'd make me insanely happy.
    Turns out it's a hoax.

That's what I get for daring to have hope, I suppose.
    The greatest injustice is, I can't even go and slam his face into a brick wall.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

ION: I think I can officially say that I have taken up drinking coffee at this point, as I'm purchasing it on an almost-daily basis now.

So, as a coffee n00b, is there any way to drink it at a reasonable temperature without scalding one's tongue? I would prefer having the use of my taste buds for the rest of the day, but some combination of impatience and inexperience result in my inevitably managing to 1) deign that my desire for the drink is more important than my taste buds and summarily burn myself, or 2) accidentally not drinking it quickly enough - getting distracted, the like - and returning to it only to find my coffee has gone cold.

Wat do?
    Hahaha I still do that. And I've been drinking coffee for like 20 years.

It's like, I'm holding the cup, I can feel it's hot. It's literally burning my fingers through that little cardboard sleeve thing. But I still take a sip. GG tongue for the rest of the day.

Solution: make it yourself. It generally tastes better anyway, I don't care where you buy your espresso from. And then you control the temperature and additives, you tend not to burn yourself on lava-hot coffee. Here's my quick crash course: French press is best method. Anyone who says otherwise is a heathen (unless cold press, but then you have to get all science-y). It's obviously nicer to roast and grind your own, but buying pre-ground is fine at a pinch. Heaviness of roast is up to you, but darker generally brings out the flavour more, at the potential cost of acquiring a burnt taste (which some of us actually like). And here's my super-secret brand tip: Single-origin coffee is the best, and Kenyan and Ethiopian single-origin is the best of the best. The reason is that blended coffees destroy the flavour profile of the actual beans, and Kenyan/Ethiopian beans have the best flavour profile. That is, if you like a strong and "smoky" flavour. And it can be drunk black.

Also there is nothing quite as delicious as freshly-baked bread with a cup of freshly-brewed coffee.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Also there is nothing quite as delicious as freshly-baked bread with a cup of freshly-brewed coffee.
    Tea, I say. Tea and cake forever!
    Knitting my way through life, one purl of wisdom at a time.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

My imprinted Britishness has me siding with Septimus here - everything is better with tea!

This cookie, for example.

*dips into tea then noms*

Dipping cookies is a fine art though. You have to dip just long enough to infuse the cookie with tea goodness, but not so long as structural integrity is lost. For, whilst a cookie is improved by tea, a cup of tea with bits of soggy cookie in it is a spoilt cup of tea.

Yes, I am intentionally avoiding the Dr Who conversation because my opinion is controversial.
    Last edited by Peebles; 2015-02-17 at 05:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

I think fresh-brewed coffee smells really good but tastes really bad, regardless of whether stuff is mixed into it. Tea, on the other hand, both tastes and smells delicious (again, regardless of purity.)
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

I liked the new who up until Clara Oswald and I like Rose Tyler actually. Tennant's my favorite. My growing to like it happened in the opposite direction though... The ones I know who liked it showed me episodes they think i'd like and without context they kinda seemed all over the place... I'm like "how about we do it the other way where I just start from the beginning and work my way forward..." which for me worked much better.

Sherlock on the other hand... Instant persistant awesome.

Peebles is a nerdfighter too? Sugoi!
    Last edited by VincentTakeda; 2015-02-17 at 05:14 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
    Dippings cookies is a fine art though. You have to dip just long enough to infuse the cookie with tea goodness, but not so long as structural integrity is lost. For, whilst a cookie is improves by tea, a cup of tea with bits of soggy cookie in it is a spoilt cup of tea.
    In fact, it's such a fine art that they've made a sport out of it. It's called tea duelling and the purpose is to be the last to lift your cookie out of the tea, but if it crumbles, you're out.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I think fresh-brewed coffee smells really good but tastes really bad, regardless of whether stuff is mixed into it.
    Oh, agreed. Coffee smells divine, but tastes like the devils backside IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentTakeda View Post
    Sherlock on the other hand... Instant persistant awesome.

Peebles is a nerdfighter too? Sugoi!
    Now Sherlock, there's a show. Especially the first two series. The third was a bit dafter, but still better than 99% of television.

Indeed, guilty as charged.

I've just never understood what anyone see's in Dr Who, new or old version. To me it's the drama version of wrestling - ridiculous and impossible to take seriously, but not funny enough to be worthwhile for that either. I will admit that the Dr Who experience down in Cardiff is good though.

Mind you, I hate Star Wars too. The only TV or movie stuff I like with any geek cred are superhero movies and Red Dwarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    In fact, it's such a fine art that they've made a sport out of it. It's called tea duelling and the purpose is to be the last to lift your cookie out of the tea, but if it crumbles, you're out.
    Sign me up! Am I allowed to use a chocolate Hobnob? You could drop one of those in the sea and it would still hold together. You'd have little aquatic spiders and sea creatures using it as a life raft.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Sign me up! Am I allowed to use a chocolate Hobnob? You could drop one of those in the sea and it would still hold together. You'd have little aquatic spiders and sea creatures using it as a life raft.
    Perhaps, but then expect your opponent to use one too.

Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeptimusFabrius View Post
    Tea, I say. Tea and cake forever!
    My imprinted Britishness has me siding with Septimus here - everything is better with tea!
    Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I think fresh-brewed coffee smells really good but tastes really bad, regardless of whether stuff is mixed into it. Tea, on the other hand, both tastes and smells delicious (again, regardless of purity.)
    Heathens and Philistines, the lot of you

I grew up with tea, mind you. My mum functions on tea every bit as much as I function on coffee. Until one day I realised that I actually really dislike the taste, and I've never looked back since.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Hi.
    I'm Koorly. I hate Rose. I'll still watch every episode in series one because I like Christopher Ecclestone. And I love to hate Rose. Frankly, just about the only episodes everyone would agree watching in season one are 'The Empty Child'/'The Doctor Dances'.
    And I'd say "Dalek" was good too. And then they had to ruin it with the finale. My wife ended up liking Chris a lot more than she thought she would, which is good. I liked him, though many do not.

Thank you sweetheart.
    If we are going to talk about maths, might as well be maths in space and time.

I, too, quite like the concept behind Bad Wolf, but I do not like Rose. Bad Wolf could have been Mickey and nothing really would have changed about it. Except that I like Mickey quite a bit. Like you though, I went from 'eh-to-don't-like' (she nearly killed my interest in Who in season two), but it rapidly became HATE when it came to the end of season two. Because 'this is the story of how I died' you selfish, shallow, self-centred, sociopathic, egomaniacal, delusional -
    I have a rant about it.
    Maybe several rants.
    Scattered throughout episodes that are sometimes only tangential to the topic. I came very close to boycotting the 50th anniversary special because I heard Rose was in it.
    It was a grand concept. I feel its actually been used a few times now - that concept. Such as:

Spoiler: Plot spoilers
    Show
    The Cracks, Clara, ect...

Mickey as the Bad Wolf would have been great! It really annoyed me how much they made him the fall guy, when he was competant on his own.

'Blink' has actually become a fairly good stepping-on point for Doctor Who, so I'm glad you set her up with that after getting a second chance. I think she'll enjoy 'Empty'/'Dances' - it's like 'Blink' but longer. And less scary. Also a good mystery.
    Blink is great, because its good, and doesn't give away anything about the storyline at the point it is at. So I could rest easy knowing that I could let her watch an example of Good Doctor Who, so that she could slog through the Bad Doctor Who to get there. She did enjoy 'Empty Child' / 'Doctor Dances'. She said it was freaking creepy, and I smiled. She didn't like Jack either, thought he was a little annoying. He does lay it on a little thick, and she's a little sensative to that. Probably won't be showing her "Torchwood".

Bring something drinkable/snackable and make a game out of it. And move onto something good immediately after that; oh no, wait, 'Fear Her' comes next and implies that you can overcome child abuse through song. Also space ship powered by love and a sickeningly gushingly glurgey ending.
    Watch another episodes immediately after 'Fear Her' (which can also be skipped easily) as well. Oh no wait. It's 'Army of Ghosts'/'Doomsday'.
    AKA the end of season two.
    AKA the episodes where I learned to loathe Rose.
    AKA oh my God season two was a piece of crap wasn't it? 'Daleks'/'Evolution', 'Love and Monsters', 'Fear Her', 'Army'/'Doomsday'. Granted, the last two are predicated mostly on my hatred for Rose, so I fully admit there are good things in those episodes. But my God. I don't think Mrs. Wombat will like them if she took such an instant hatred to Rose; so promise her that those are the last two episodes she'll ever appear in.
    As a main Companion. Christ.
    Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I'll break out some wine, and make a game out of it. Mrs. Wombat was rooting for Rose's death, and literally cheered when she got "disintegrated", and booooed when it turned out to be a misleading thing.

*subtly indicates that all Classic serials can be found online in various forms*
    And also iTunes.
    Maybe see how she feels after season three, say that there's a part of the fourth season that's made better if you know some of the Classic series. It's not needed, but it makes it a little richer. Don't show her 'Genesis' right off; scatter some serials around from a couple of Doctors.
    Or just see how she feels one day.
    I'm a bit short of money right now, so it'll be hard to procure them. If you give me links to places I can find things, I'd be more than happy to figure out my best course of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    Am I the only person in the world who liked that episode?

Well, if you have Netflix...
    Or are willing to spend buttloads of money on Amazon.
    I think so...I really loved the concept. It just didn't hold up when implemented. However, Moaning Myrtle is something Mrs. Wombat might be excited to see.

Wait...Classic Who is on netflix?!

Oh come on, it's just addition and multiplication and putting in some numbers inbetween, it can't be that hard.

Given, I vaguely remember a time when sigma statements looked like magical runes to me too...
    Given that you're talking to someone with an Art Degree...

I just don't know the context, and since its math, I just avoid.

Oh well, don't worry, you can always feel smugly superiour over me when it comes to Doctor Who instead. I know the hovering pepper grinders are called Daleks and that the telephone box which only calls the police is called the Tardis and is also a time machine. And that's about it and I've seen nothing else. And we still call them Pepper Grinders here in my family because littlest brother saw them once and was terrified to tears, so we've been giving him a hard time about it ever since. I'm happy I'm not a youngest sibling.

Also, Weeping Angels something something...
    I will admit, my wife and I both had a bit of a chuckle at your youngest brother's expense. Its all good. How are you? I miss you!

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    No, but you're heavily in the minority.
    Or, no wait, maybe it was Fear Her that Sunken Valley kept saying was actually really good even though everyone hated it. If so, then yeah you might be the only one who liked Love and Monsters.
    It was an interesting concept, just terrible execution.
    I'm pretty sure it wasn't Love and Monster's, but lets use forum search!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    One favourite Story for every season I've seen in full!

1: Empty Child Two Parter (2nd Place Dalek)
    2: Impossible Planet Two Parter (2nd Place Love and Monsters. No Joke. No Trolling.)
    Looks like Dimonite isn't alone!

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    That's suicidal. You should never do that. Ever. The last thing you need is for someone or something to decide to pop in on you just as you get scared or into it and freak you out in real life. Especially if you live with any animals or people that instinctively know when to do so.

I saw a random banter thread, and I was tempted to empty my heart into it of recent events. But I figured it would be rude to do so without at least posting something else. I suppose I should be slightly on topic: I basically don't watch tv anymore. Is Doctor Who worth finding online? I hadn't looked, and only know of it via mild cultural osmosis.
    Empty your heart! Its random for a reason. But we also like to converse, so add you the current conversation all you want! I agree, watching Silence in the Library alone in the dark is unwise.

Puts in cookie collection!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Given that you're talking to someone with an Art Degree...

I just don't know the context, and since its math, I just avoid.
    But addition and multiplication is like elementary school mathematics!
    *Has forgotten what actually happened when for most of elementary school*

I will admit, my wife and I both had a bit of a chuckle at your youngest brother's expense. Its all good. How are you? I miss you!
    Home alone, down with a cold, laying upside down on a electric blanket in my couch and doing just about nothing of consequence at all. At least I managed to finalise two assignment reports this morning, so I'm thankfully not stressing out about uni right now.

Oh, and the most exciting thing in my life today?
    Spoiler: I changed my desktop wallpaper.
    Show

I'm not having a particulary exciting day today...
    Last edited by Teddy; 2015-02-17 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Linked picture to source.

Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

But addition and multiplication is like elementary school mathematics!
    *Has forgotten what actually happened when for most of elementary school*

Home alone, down with a cold, laying upside down on a electric blanket in my couch and doing just about nothing of consequence at all. At least I managed to finalise two assignment reports this morning, so I'm thankfully not stressing out about uni right now.

Oh, and the most exciting thing in my life today?
    Spoiler: I changed my desktop wallpaper.
    Show

I'm not having a particulary exciting day today...
    I loooooooooove that artist! Weren't we looking at those together on your visit?

I'm sorry you have a cold. I have snow! I had a bad drive in to work, but I got in safe!

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

22. - Top - End - #262
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nertz.
    I don't get any of this either. It's bad enough that most of my friends watch (and talk incessantly) about Doctor Who, but now it's invaded RB!

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

I loooooooooove that artist! Weren't we looking at those together on your visit?
    Now that you mention it, yes, yes we did...

I'm sorry you have a cold. I have snow! I had a bad drive in to work, but I got in safe!
    We have snow too! Given, it hasn't snowed for a pair of weeks and it only stopped thawing half a week ago, so it's actually kinda drab when you look out the wrong windows, but when you look out the right ones, it's still white and pretty...

Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Is Doctor Who worth finding online? I hadn't looked, and only know of it via mild cultural osmosis.
    I'd say you should maybe find a few decent episodes to watch and then see if you're sufficiently interested to watch the rest.

Are the villains an actual presence within the show that do anything other than make the Doctor look like a badass? (Say what you like about the RTD era, at least the villains were used well. Usually)
    Snrk. Pfft. Excuse me, I'm just stifling laughter at that parenthesised statement. RTD just used the villains badly in different ways.

Does the series now suddenly care about its previously established continuity?
    I can't think of any instance in which the show has explicitly contradicted its continuity, before or after the most recent regeneration. Feel free to present me with an argument otherwise.

Is Clara a consistent character?
    This is a criticism I've never understood. The character is presented, she emotes, no part of her personality has ever struck me as inconsistent. Yet people keep throwing this criticism out, just like they always used to say David Tennant only had three differently facial expressions.

Is Danny Pink around for longer than the episode he dies in? Also, does anyone besides Danny Pink die? Because seriously, nobody important dies anymore which is kind of a problem when you want to convince us that the characters are in danger!!
    When have important people ever died consistently in Doctor Who? I mean, it depends how strictly you define important, but the implication of this statement is that you're considering Danny Pink, a character who was around for the whole series and given a bunch of stuff in promotional materials, thus effectively third billing after the Doctor and Clara, to be unimportant. At which point your definition of important is the central characters of the Doctor and the companion(s), and their deaths are always incredibly rare and notable.

Nertz.
    Well maybe instead of insulting us all by calling our favoured conversation topic 'nonsense' you could actually try and have a conversation about something you can talk about. That is, after all, what this thread is for.

No, I'm pretty sure that happened because people just weren't talking to each other so much, or not in as timely a fashion.

Probably won't be showing her "Torchwood".
    Most of it's pretty bad anyway.

I guess the argument could be made that we should really be having this conversation in the Doctor Who thread. But it started here naturally and so it's continuing here.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess the argument could be made that we should really be having this conversation in the Doctor Who thread. But it started here naturally and so it's continuing here.
    I suppose us (or at least me and Curly) calling the math things as babble doesn't help things, . That is, if AT wasn't actually talking about the math things...

Meh, that thread has the recent series spoilers stuff, and I haven't seen any of Capaldi yet due to my having no way to see it, so I'm SOL. Its why I stopped posting there until I get caught up.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Mind you, I hate Star Wars too.
    As do I. Finally I've found someone who shares that opinion
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

As do I. Finally I've found someone who shares that opinion
    I quite like it, myself - the thing I dislike about it is that for some inexplicable reason everyone thinks it's sci-fi.
    Knitting my way through life, one purl of wisdom at a time.

28. - Top - End - #268

Welp, I'm lactose intolerant. Explains all the reflux stuff that was going on, and why I'd get so gassy when I have milk. Now I have to go two weeks without *any* milk or dairy products before even starting lactase pills. At least I know why I've been having the symptoms that I've been having.

As for Star Wars being sci-fi, it's easy to see why people would think that, with all of the future technology like laser guns and spaceships, and the fact that it's set in space. However, people duel using magic energy swords and control objects using a magic system called "The Force", so I'd say it's Science Fantasy.
    Last edited by Solse; 2015-02-17 at 11:07 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269

That is weird. I lost some multiquotes. Let me edit this.

Aw yiss, cookie

>giving the entirety of RB one cookie
    Oh, I see we're trying to start a fight over food, here.
    Please do! My cookie net is almost ready. I started with a fishing scoop and put in a fabric net. Better to catch cookies that were thrown.

This cookie, for example.

*dips into tea then noms*

Dipping cookies is a fine art though. You have to dip just long enough to infuse the cookie with tea goodness, but not so long as structural integrity is lost. For, whilst a cookie is improved by tea, a cup of tea with bits of soggy cookie in it is a spoilt cup of tea.

Yes, I am intentionally avoiding the Dr Who conversation because my opinion is controversial.
    I think I will be silly and use the spoon to put tea on a cookie. When I have a cookie.

And I am not afraid to say I like the terrible colorful no big plot '80s Doctor Who.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter_d View Post
    Welp, I'm lactose intolerant. Explains all the reflux stuff that was going on, and why I'd get so gassy when I have milk. Now I have to go two weeks without *any* milk or dairy products before even starting lactase pills. At least I know why I've been having the symptoms that I've been having.
    That makes sense. Even though it is sad news. Please be careful coming off the nexium pills. You did not take them very long but people who have taken them long had to go off slowly. I am glad you will not have to put up with all those nexium side effects. They are not a great cure. They make new problems.
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Snrk. Pfft. Excuse me, I'm just stifling laughter at that parenthesised statement. RTD just used the villains badly in different ways.
    I groan whenever the Daleks or weeping angels show up now.

I never felt like the villains were completely wasted in RTD's era. When the Daleks showed up, they felt intimidating, they felt powerful, they felt like the f#@$ing Daleks. Even in bad episodes, the villains had a presence. They never felt like window dressing.

Stupid as the human-Dalek BS was, Tennant's response to them was bloody perfect. They always survive.

Moffat, on the other hand, throws villains at the screen without rhyme or reason and hopes something sticks. Why were the Weeping Angels at the town of Christmas? Why were the Cybermen, for that matter? The Daleks arguably needed to be there to kill off the church of the Papal Mainframe, but those nanite things that turn humans into Dalek-bots never affects Doc or Clara, and the lady in charge just throws it off without much fuss.

I can't think of any instance in which the show has explicitly contradicted its continuity, before or after the most recent regeneration. Feel free to present me with an argument otherwise.
    In Matt Smith's final episode, they establish there is a truth field that entirely prevents one from lieing. Then he lies to a child that he has a plan. We know he's lieing because about 6 seconds later he says that he lied to him.

Same. Bloody. EPISODE!

They establish that the Silence are aliens that have manipulated humanity since 'the very beginning', and then it turns out they're actually confessional priests that showed up just in time to send humanity to the moon for some reason. And the Doctor is supposed to know this, but... when did he figure that out? Also, why aren't the silence being shot by all the human that come to confess? Did they actually forget Neil Armstrong and the Doctor was just BSing them? If the Silence are supposed to be confessional priests that are genetically modified, why can they shoot lightning out of their hands?

Why was River Song's ghost on Trenzalore when it's supposed to be in the library?

Why does the Doctor no longer die on Trenzalore if he's previously visited his own grave and altering all of time at once at it, making it a fixed point? Yeah, I get that they were never going to kill him, but at least last time he got out of such a trap they explained how.

The Doctor's sudden decision to use the copbot thing to fake his death worked great as a plot twist, but the entire episode before had been about him coming to accept his death. So... yeah. Character inconsistency~! Again, same episode.

This is a criticism I've never understood. The character is presented, she emotes, no part of her personality has ever struck me as inconsistent. Yet people keep throwing this criticism out, just like they always used to say David Tennant only had three differently facial expressions.
    Because they're talking about writing, you're talking about the actress. The problem isn't inconsistency - the problem is that Clara has no clear identity of her own to be inconsistent. She's spunky, and she likes the Doctor. What else about her is established and remains consistent throughout Matt Smith's run with her? She goes from kind-hearted babysitter to military general to teacher, as dictated by whims of the plot, with no rhyme or reason.

I like Clara as a military general, sure. But that's not who she was last episode. Or the episode after. Heck, she was introduced as a hacker extraordinaire. The two both require intelligence, sure, but they're not interchangeable!

When have important people ever died consistently in Doctor Who? I mean, it depends how strictly you define important, but the implication of this statement is that you're considering Danny Pink, a character who was around for the whole series and given a bunch of stuff in promotional materials, thus effectively third billing after the Doctor and Clara, to be unimportant. At which point your definition of important is the central characters of the Doctor and the companion(s), and their deaths are always incredibly rare and notable.
    Well, like I said, I actually stopped watching before Danny Pink showed up. For all I know he bucked the trend. I'll thank you not to assume s#@$ about what I mean. Especially when it contradicts what I've previously told ya

DW near the end of my time with it seemed averse to letting anyone die (or even get seriously hurt) let alone anyone we were supposed to care about. The result was that it was impossible to believe that anyone was in any danger.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig