New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Selling your Soul at a Premium: The Warlock's Guide to Power

Quote Originally Posted by Gignere View Post
    Comprehend language is coming in pretty handy with my wizard in current campaign. I guess it is campaign specific but in ruins exploration when your DM asks if the party know xxxx specific language you can say I will after 10 mins. It is awesome.
    Oh, yeah, they're all super useful, and in the right campaign they can do so much for you.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    The rituals are all relatively equal. The only one that might not be purple is Detect Magic, but you can get that through an Invocation.
    Then why is ritual casting sky blue if they are all purple?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waitingninja View Post
    Then why is ritual casting sky blue if they are all purple?

because purple in these guides means good in certain situations, and when you have 30 different things that are all purple, one ability that can grant all of those things is good in a lot of situations.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

May I just say that your guides have proved immensely helpful to me on my first real campaign, moreso than the other guides I have found? Thanks for writing them. A question for future reference, will you be updating this guide with information on the recent Unearthed Arcana Patrons and Invocations (ie The Seeker, The Hexblade, and The Raven Queen)? Likewise with your Sorcerer guide and the 4 new UA Bloodlines?

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Youngsage3 View Post
    May I just say that your guides have proved immensely helpful to me on my first real campaign, moreso than the other guides I have found? Thanks for writing them. A question for future reference, will you be updating this guide with information on the recent Unearthed Arcana Patrons and Invocations (ie The Seeker, The Hexblade, and The Raven Queen)? Likewise with your Sorcerer guide and the 4 new UA Bloodlines?
    Thanks!

At the moment, I have no plans to update with more UA material. At the moment, there are something along the lines of a dozen archetypes for classes covered in my guides in the recently released UA material, and I simply have too much to do in my normal life to keep up with that. I'll update for any official material that gets released, but otherwise I'm going to let the play testers figure it out.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey man, literally just made an account to comment here. Thanks so much for writing these up, you're doing great stuff, I really appreciate these and have been using these guides since I started playing 5E back in 2015.

The formatting is fantastic and it's super easy to read through. Sometimes I wish you had a guide for a class I was making a character for, but I know you can't cover everything.

Anyhow, keep up the marvelous work. Hope to see your reviews on the new material coming our way! :)
    Last edited by faikwansuen; 2017-03-29 at 10:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground

Rogue: As always, Sneak Attack and Expertise are awesome, and every caster wants to Disengage on a bonus action.
    Have rather enjoyed your guide and the various comments.

Did want to suggest you give thought to breaking out the Multi-class suggestions into archetypes and subsets of other classes where the selection might prove to be a benefit.

I would argue specifically for giving the Arcane Trickster Archetype a nod and maybe even a Sky Blue. By something of a fluke a year or so ago I made up a rogue/warlock (Great Old One Pact). We didn't have a caster at all in the party, I wasn't taking the game seriously and I was curious about the class. I doubted the wisdom of my whim until rogue reached 3rd level and Arcane Trickster became an option. I was already at level 4 as a Warlock and had Tome Pact.

That frustrating part where you have to burn a 2nd (or higher) level spell slot if you want the damage of Hex? Suddenly gone because there are a couple of 1st level slots around now that can be spent on utility spells that normally would cost a higher slot without any benefit of scaling. Comprehend Languages is useful, but it doesn't scale and the thought of having to burn a 2nd or 3rd level slot to read a key inscription is painful. Arcane Trickster provides a couple of low level slots to do "odd things" with.

And that's on top of the benefits already mentioned like Cunning Action. Which is great for disengage, but for a Warlock to have Cunning Action, Devil's Sight, Mage Hand Legerdemain and Darkness? Much naughtiness -- to a point where DM and other players were suggesting the following was broken -- ensues. I would cast Mage Hand and Darkness putting the Darkness on a dagger. Another object would work but daggers are ubiquitous and handy. Now I have dark that can come with me, go away temporarily, stay put or move both with me and independently. I can move it as a bonus action if desired so I can keep that right by a troublesome boss while I can still attack and move. The big giant who would stick his head out of the sphere? That dagger floats close to his head and I keep it there, problem solved. That light crossbow you were going to ditch because you have Eldritch Blast? That'll let you get your sneak attack dice at range into or through Darkness.

Other benefits in no particular order:

Uncanny Dodge comes on at 4th level (which I would take to pick up the feat or increase) and halves a great deal of damage.
    Expertise can either make you fantastic at important things like Perception and Stealth or bolster something that's not so good but that a Warlock (being caster) should be better at like Arcana, even with low intelligence a 6 Arcana is possible this way.
    If Rogue is starting class two more skills are very nice things.
    If scouting, Awakened Mind often makes reports back possible. Detect Thoughts can also augment this. And Misty Step has uses for a Rogue.
    From the Rogue side, having a high charisma is not a bad thing: Deception and Rogues rather go together.
    A low Intelligence does not cause problems. Take spells and cantrips that do not need attack rolls or generate saves from the Wizard list. Where possible make utility spells the Trickster spells and attack spells Warlock spells. Magic Missile might be the exception. Leave the offensive spells to the Warlock. (It's possible to dump both STR and INT and this combination is viable. More than, but I don't like playing stupid characters.)

Depending on choices a Rogue/Warlock at 3/4 has 9 Cantrips and 10 Spells known, potentially from three different types of magic and the capacity to ritual cast. And preserves the more powerful spell slots going forward by having a couple of low level slots for other, useful things. On top of having a mass of useful options to increase effectiveness in and out of fights and several features like Cunning Action and Uncanny Dodge that greatly increase the survival of the character. It's worth consideration.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfalcon View Post
    snip
    That sounds like a fun build, but as a rule I tend not to get too deep into the minutiae of multiclassing. Honestly, I don't like multiclassing, I don't spend my free time thinking of multiclassing builds, and I generally avoid the subject.

Now, I'm not going to tell someone that their way of playing is badwrongfun, but my personal taste in this issue makes me somewhat unqualified to delve much deeper into multiclassing in my guides. My multiclass input is generally there for brief examples of avenues for players to explore, should they wish.

PeteNutButter's Ultimate Optimizer's Multiclassing guide handles more in-depth multiclass analyses, and for this particular subject, the discussion there should prove far more robust.
    Last edited by EvilAnagram; 2017-09-02 at 04:13 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

That sounds like a fun build, but as a rule I tend not to get too deep into the minutiae of multiclassing. Honestly, I don't like multiclassing, I don't spend my free time thinking of multiclassing builds, and I generally avoid the subject.
    Totally respect that. Thanks for the pointer to that discussion.
    ~Snow

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

The only gripe I have is Barbarian being red.

3 levels in and you get Resistance to all damage except Psychic Damage which you can pick up with 10 levels in Lock with either GOO or Fiend pact.

You can cast before you rage, AoA isn't concentration so you can cast it and rage and effectively have 50 more HP rather then 25. With taking 25 cold damage every time something hits you your basically the best anti horde guy around.

Plus the lack of casting and D12 HD mean you don't really need CON quite as much.

Not saying its good for everyone, but a Bladelock that wants on demad tankyness its awesome.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

I registered for a few reasons, but the strongest motivator was to pop in and say thanks and congratulate you EvilA on what might be one of the best designed and thought out build guides I recall seeing. I'll just note my credentials briefly. I was "online" before Al Gore invented this thing and hail from red box days in DND.

You and I have some differences in build, likely because I tend more toward a destructive/disruptive controller than a defensive/disruptive one.

Having said that, I believe an example prudent. You, and many others dislike True Strike and I understand why. Further, many don't like Witch Bolt. However, I like both, particularly with Warlock, for a very specific reason.

You take one round to lock the target and avoid getting hit, if you can. Then, with advantage you drop Witch Bolt on the major bad guy. My current Warlock has a 20 Cha.. (yeah, yeah, I actually rolled 18) I'm rolling a +7 with advantage. At L5 I, if I hit I get nifty 3d12... Oh yeah, it's locked in. So what now Johnny Bravo? Why, how about Eldritch blast at +7 to hit and +5 damage (EBlast) plus d12, you know, because I have Witch Bolt Rolling. Yes, I could be rolling Hex instead to get a d6 damage, however, I will get get the big first hit. Additionally, with Hex there is no guarantee of damage as you can miss your attack role, like there is which Witch Bolt (if I don't lose concentration). Could I use Hex and Witch Bolt, sure, but that is 2 slots burned. Slots are at a premium with Warlock and my way provides a low level one two punch that is hard to beat while only using one slot.

You did note there were some builds that could make use of Witch Bolt. However, you seem to really dislike True Strike and I simply wanted to point out why it has a lot of value to me.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Burnteyes; 2017-11-11 at 02:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Going to add in hexblade and the celestial patrons from xanathars guide to everything?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burnteyes View Post
    I registered for a few reasons, but the strongest motivator was to pop in and say thanks and congratulate you EvilA on what might be one of the best designed and thought out build guides I recall seeing. I'll just note my credentials briefly. I was "online" before Al Gore invented this thing and hail from red box days in DND.

You and I have some differences in build, likely because I tend more toward a destructive/disruptive controller than a defensive/disruptive one.

Having said that, I believe an example prudent. You, and many others dislike True Strike and I understand why. Further, many don't like Witch Bolt. However, I like both, particularly with Warlock, for a very specific reason.

You take one round to lock the target and avoid getting hit, if you can. Then, with advantage you drop Witch Bolt on the major bad guy. My current Warlock has a 20 Cha.. (yeah, yeah, I actually rolled 18) I'm rolling a +7 with advantage. At L5 I, if I hit I get nifty 3d12... Oh yeah, it's locked in. So what now Johnny Bravo? Why, how about Eldritch blast at +7 to hit and +5 damage (EBlast) plus d12, you know, because I have Witch Bolt Rolling. Yes, I could be rolling Hex instead to get a d6 damage, however, I will get get the big first hit. Additionally, with Hex there is no guarantee of damage as you can miss your attack role, like there is which Witch Bolt (if I don't lose concentration). Could I use Hex and Witch Bolt, sure, but that is 2 slots burned. Slots are at a premium with Warlock and my way provides a low level one two punch that is hard to beat while only using one slot.

You did note there were some builds that could make use of Witch Bolt. However, you seem to really dislike True Strike and I simply wanted to point out why it has a lot of value to me.

Thanks again.
    Well, thank you for the compliments. I'm really glad you enjoy the guide.

As for Witch Bolt, the problem with it is that by the rules, it takes an action to deal that 1d12 of damage, so your trick of dealing the d12 and casting Eldritch Blast doesn't work by RAW. If you talked it over with your DM and he's cool with it not costing an action, that's awesome, but I can't make recommendations based on your table's rules. That said, there are builds that make use of Witch Bolt to solid effect, but it happens to be competing with other strong Concentration effects like Darkness, Hex, and Hunger of Hadar that provide strong control and boost your damage without costing actions every turn.

On a personal note, I like using Witch Bolt. I think it's a fun spell, and I like to put together complicated builds with weird payoffs. Frankly, if you work with the tank, it can be damned potent. I just can't recommend it from an optimizing point of view.
    Last edited by EvilAnagram; 2017-11-11 at 02:45 AM.

14. - Top - End - #224

Imp

On a personal note, I like using Witch Bolt. I think it's a fun spell, and I like to put together complicated builds with weird payoffs. Frankly, if you work with the tank, it can be damned potent. I just can't recommend it from an optimizing point of view.
    Well you caught me, and a gap that I overlooked. DM is a little relaxed on the specifics of carrying Witch Bolt and by the rules you are 100% correct. Now that I think about it, my suggestion was as much a theoretical (a rule violation flawed one) than a standard practice. Hunger and Eldritch push (which the character does not have) back in actually works better now that I think about it.

I agree, it is not the best "optimization" spell for a Warlock. I think the point I neglected to make was more about True Strike with Witch Bolt as a Warlock. It's the only spell/class/build for which True Strike makes a lot of sense, but it does make sense, IMO. However, it is not optimized and Hex followed by Eldritch Blast in my example of build causes nearly as much damage, allows for advantage each time and is rules legal. So, I stand corrected specific to the point of your well thought out work.

I rather enjoy being shown why I am wrong sometimes.
    Last edited by Burnteyes; 2017-11-11 at 01:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Fun trick with XGtE: Celestial Patron level 6 ability adds damage to any spell doing radiant damage...

A Volo’s aasimar can add Radiant damage to any spell...

So an Aasimar with a Celestial Patron can add its bonus damage to any spell (at least once a turn anyways)

16. - Top - End - #226

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Fun trick with XGtE: Celestial Patron level 6 ability adds damage to any spell doing radiant damage...

So an Aasimar with a Celestial Patron can add its bonus damage to any spell (at least once a turn anyways)
    Oh that is nasty/tricky/good.

As I am playing Tomb of Annihilation with the Warlock, I elected for Yuan-Ti (prior to reading this thread) based on the poison resistance alone. Okay, not alone, Yuan-Ti is a pretty killer race. I do have a Bard Assimar.. hmm..(again selected prior to reading THAT thread). OP and I have similar opinions on many things, which probably provides a little confirmation bias on why I think these guides are so good.
    Last edited by Burnteyes; 2017-11-11 at 02:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground

For 1 minute / long rest.

It'll get you through a fight, but not much more than that.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Submortimer View Post
    For 1 minute / long rest.

It'll get you through a fight, but not much more than that.
    Sure, but since you are likely popping off that aasimar ability anyways on tough fights; might as well take the free boost

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, that's fun. It works well with three levels of Sorcerer to make sure you get a spell off that turn with Quicken. It's a nova, but novas can be fun.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Barbarian in the Playground

Evil, do you plan on adding the XGTE subclasses to this guide?
    Lelouch vi Britannia by Gnomish Wanderer

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthy1 View Post
    Evil, do you plan on adding the XGTE subclasses to this guide?
    I do. I preordered it, and I'll be updating my guides after it arrives. I'll be sneaking in a few updates for those classes that haven't changed since the UA, but I'm trying not to let discussions prejudice me in any way.

22. - Top - End - #232

Imp

EA,

I don't want to ask to much more as you are already adding the stuff from XGTE in addition to all the stuff you've already done. However, any plans or perhaps already know of someone who has rated the Feats Compendium additions in the various classes you've already created the guides for?

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I do. I preordered it, and I'll be updating my guides after it arrives. I'll be sneaking in a few updates for those classes that haven't changed since the UA, but I'm trying not to let discussions prejudice me in any way.
    Thank you. Seriously, thank you. Your guides are amazing and I have been checking this one in particular every day to see your xgte breakdown.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

EA,

I don't want to ask to much more as you are already adding the stuff from XGTE in addition to all the stuff you've already done. However, any plans or perhaps already know of someone who has rated the Feats Compendium additions in the various classes you've already created the guides for?
    I'll be adding feats after I add the archetypes. I'll be trying to get the archetypes in by December, but we'll have to see hiw long it takes to get the feats in. I don't know of anyone who has already rated the new feats on a class-by-class basis, but I'm sure there will be plenty of discussions.

25. - Top - End - #235

Imp

I'll be adding feats after I add the archetypes. I'll be trying to get the archetypes in by December, but we'll have to see hiw long it takes to get the feats in. I don't know of anyone who has already rated the new feats on a class-by-class basis, but I'm sure there will be plenty of discussions.
    Did you ever know that your my hero?
    You're everything I wish I could be.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

EA,

Did you ever know that your my hero?
    You're everything I wish I could be.
    just to be clear here, my gut feeling is that you're both talking past each other here.

Burnteyes, if i'm reading this correctly, is asking about a separate book/product/website/???? called the Feats Compendium.

EvilAnagram, i'm guessing, is talking about adding the feats found in XGtE.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about that, though :P

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Fallen Aasimar deal necrotic, not radiant. And is it your spell dealing the additional radiant damage, or is it you? Because if it's you, then the spell wouldn't get the Celestial bonus. The wording of the two features make me uncertain. That being said, the amount of extra damage is like 3-5 points, so I'm fine letting it work.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pdegan2814 View Post
    Fallen Aasimar deal necrotic, not radiant. And is it your spell dealing the additional radiant damage, or is it you? Because if it's you, then the spell wouldn't get the Celestial bonus. The wording of the two features make me uncertain. That being said, the amount of extra damage is like 3-5 points, so I'm fine letting it work.
    Ah, but Protector Aasimar deal radiant damage.

29. - Top - End - #239

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post
    just to be clear here, my gut feeling is that you're both talking past each other here.

Burnteyes, if i'm reading this correctly, is asking about a separate book/product/website/???? called the Feats Compendium.

EvilAnagram, i'm guessing, is talking about adding the feats found in XGtE.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong about that, though :P
    Correct and good call thanks. Feat Compedium is a doc available at DMSGuild. Has all the standard plus some add ons.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Any plans for a XGE update?