New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Hell's Vengeance OOC

Hey everyone! Welcome to the out of character thread for Hell’s Vengeance! I’m really looking forward to running this as my first ever Pathfinder campaign. Some people have created their characters and some are still working on them so for those who are still in the process of character creation, feel free to post any questions here. That being said, I’m going to be importing the passive perception and initiative rules from 3SecondCultist, which I’ll post below for everyone for reference.

Otherwise I’d just ask that people post in character every 48 hours, but please let me know if you cant and we can wait, there’s no rush at all. I will have a table up for everyones characters as soon as I can. I will be voicing NPCs in firebrick red. I have also included a copy of the Big Sixteen for anyone who has any questions pertaining to character creation.

As ever, italics should be used for thought, bold for imperative speech and <brackets> for telepathy.

Lets get evil!

Spoiler: Rulls and Rolls (Shamelessly Pilfered)
    Show

Passive Perception:
    To avoid metagaming, I will be using a passive perception system akin to the one seen in 5E. Instead of me conspicuously telling all of you when I need you to roll Perception (and thus spoiling that there might be something hidden, even if you fail the check), I'm just going to treat it as if you've taken 10 on the roll. In essence, each of you will have a passive perception score equal to 10 + your Perception skill.

Initiative and Combat:
    Okay, I’m assuming you’re all experienced. You know how to roll initiative. However, in play by post games, what can happen is that this mechanic really slows the game down, as we need roll-calls/actions from each player every round. So, in combat what's going to happen is that if for some reason you don't post or roll initiative in a timely manner, I will temporarily take control of your character. What actually constitutes 'timely manner' will be up for discussion (usually it’s at least 48 hours). We're also going to be using the group initiative rules. Again, I'm not trying to hem anyone in. I just want the game to progress smoothly.

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? Pathfinder

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Standard Golarion including planes.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    5, funnily enough five have been found (whodathunkit ).

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    GitP forums and roll20

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 1

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Average

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Please use the unchained version of classes if there is one.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Paizo only for races please.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    20 point buy please. For hit points please take the average.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Evil Preferred.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    By all means go ahead as long as you can a) make it reasonable and consistent with regards to your character and b) keep it reasonable with regards to game balance.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Roll on the forum or on Roll20.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    No Homebrew.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Please include a character background. Skirt length preferred.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Judging by what I've seen from the first two modules so far it's going to be some hacking, some slashing and some intrigue.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Standard Paizo published books, please avoid the more obscure ones like Occult Adventures.
    Keep it to Paizo material. The one exception to this is that I'd prefer that no one play something from Occult Adventures

Player Character Race Class Alignment XP Total
    Farmerbink Barl Tenderson Tiefling Investigator 1 (Empiricist) Chaotic Evil 0
    NeoSeraphi Zatqualmie, the Playful Trickster Gnome Barbarian 1 (Brutal Pugilist) Chaotic Evil 200
    zimmerwald1915 Griig Slickears Hobgoblin Ranger 1 Lawful Evil 200
    Rofltrollcopter Talia Siannodel Elf Arcanist (School Savant: Foresight) 1 Neutral Evil 200
    3SecondCultist Phiarlyn d'Avar Shacklebound Tiefling Oracle (Dual-Cursed) 1 Lawful Evil 200
    Last edited by n0ble; 2016-05-25 at 02:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Hell's Vengeance OOC

Felzak and I are quite eager to start!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Likewise, Sebastian Corvayne is ready, reporting for duty! I was going to take that exact color, n0ble, but as you're the GM, I'll stick to my metal gray colors. They're appropriate for a Battle Oracle / Antipaladin character, anyways. I'm including his physical description, personality, and backstory here.

Edit: I am no longer playing Sebastian! Please note that I am taking Light Salmon as my speech color for my new character.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-05-10 at 09:23 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

1st: YAY! I'm excited to see the OOC thread shaping up- it's just entirely too hard for me to keep myself mentally keyed-in without a thread in my subscriptions. I've had my character sheet open in a new tab for like a month so I didn't forget he existed. Speaking of which, here's the sheet for my investigator. I still need a name, traits (other than campaign), and finalizing equipment.

2nd: Fair warning, he's going to be bad at damage for a while. I just can't stomach the idea of starting a skill-junky as a swashbuckler, and investigator combat kits don't come online until level 4. Is what it is, just thought I'd warn you. He'll be using a crossbow, but is unlikely to be a big player in combat for a few levels, regardless.

3rd:
    Quote Originally Posted by n0ble View Post
    As ever, italics should be used for thought, bold for imperative speech and <brackets> for telepathy.
    Just a thought, but on the off chance that it's useful for everyone else, I usually "use very small text to indicate hushed whispers. Thought you aughta know!"

Finally, if given the option, I will use the above dark plum color for my character's speech text.

5. - Top - End - #5

n0ble has my sheet (on my phone for the next five days or so, so linking is a pain).

I was not aware that we had Background skills. This is unfortunate. I already had too many skill points.

I will forego background skills. Felzak has a low Int for a reason.

I will be speaking in brown, when Felzak chooses to speak at all. Also, I will use (parentheses) to show when Felzak is speaking with animals.

As a warning, Mishra will neither be Large nor will he ever gain the grab ability, because bear companions don't know how bears work apparently. So Mishra will quickly fade from usefulness as a combat ally. Additionally, Felzak cannot Wild Shape until 6, so there's probably going to be a gap between level 4 and 6 where my character falls off.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

My sheet is a WIP. As previously discussed over PM, I'm planning to go Arcanist. I'm trying to decide between going with the Twilight Sage and the School Savant Archetype.

As far as backstory goes, the plan is to have my character be a runaway slave, that learned magic via stealing secrets from their master. They came to Longacre to avoid pursuit, and saw the Hellfire Compact as an opportunity to gain power. The character will be ambitious, but realizes that in order to actually have the ability to reshape the world according to their will, they need money, power and influence, and working for House Thrune is a way to start on that path.

As a point of note, is there a noble house that will later on be particularly relevant to the story, that my character could have escaped from?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rofltrollcopter View Post
    My sheet is a WIP. As previously discussed over PM, I'm planning to go Arcanist. I'm trying to decide between going with the Twilight Sage and the School Savant Archetype.

As far as backstory goes, the plan is to have my character be a runaway slave, that learned magic via stealing secrets from their master. They came to Longacre to avoid pursuit, and saw the Hellfire Compact as an opportunity to gain power. The character will be ambitious, but realizes that in order to actually have the ability to reshape the world according to their will, they need money, power and influence, and working for House Thrune is a way to start on that path.
    School Savant is a great archetype for Arcanists to take. I guess it would depend on the fluff of your character, but both the Conjuration (Teleportation) and Divination (Foresight) subschool picks are especially great for any character to have under their belt. The former is even better if n0ble allows the ability to work with the Dimensional Agility feat. Just from a usefulness and versatility point of view, it looks as though School Savant's probably the stronger of the two archetypes.

Also, what's your campaign trait going to be, Rofl? I assume Scion of the Nine Circles?
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-05-08 at 01:06 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

All right, lots of progress made this morning. These updates are all pending DM approval, of course.

1st: Barl Tenderson is my investigator's name. Hooray for randomly spouted nonsense!

2nd: His traits are armor expert, Clever Wordplay (Bluff), and Erratic Malefactor. He is Condescending, to enable the third trait.

3rd: my first feat will be combat expertise, in order to work towards improved feint. It'll give me both a use for my bluff skill, and something to do with move actions before level 10.

Finally, for some background:
    Spoiler: Click here
    Show
    Barl was born in Longacre, to a young couple who recently fled from Kintargo and the sudden upheaval that Barzilai Thrune's actions have brought. Little did they know how bad it was going to get. It wasn't that surprising, when Barl was born clearly inhuman, but that doesn't mean his parents were happy about it. After all, the fled the unstable environment brought on my demonic influence. To have it rear its head in their own bloodline was just- distressing, to say the least.

The young Barl didn't improve matters much. From an early age, he was endlessly curious, and temperamental, never settling easily. He was a constant source of stress for his mother, who bore the lion's share of the duties of raising him. As he grew into a toddler, and a young boy, an impulsive cruelty manifested within the child. More than a few times, he was found with some small animal he had killed. He never pretended to have a good answer when asked why- he just wanted to do it. Barl's father thought more directed training would drive the trend out of his boy, so earlier than usual, he convinced the militia captain to allow his son to begin training. He couldn't have been more wrong.

Barl was punished, severely, for disregard of the captains safety. The youngster's curiosity had gotten the best of him, and he'd been found snooping about in the captain's office. After a dramatically reduced sentence, only 5 lashes with the whip, Barl promised himself, and anyone who asked that he'd never be whipped again. In secret, his desire to evade punishment did not manifest itself in a correction of his behavior, however. Rather, he got very good at avoiding the blame for his antics. Most often, he was never caught, despite the moderate bulk of his uniform armor, and the few times he was, he learned how to convincingly shift the blame to someone else. It was all-too easy to explain your location, as an upstanding (hah) member of the town militia.

His foolish parents actually thought he was becoming an upstanding young man- well, not a man exactly, but you know. They never expected that he'd fall in with someone like Cimri Staelish.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Checking in.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    School Savant is a great archetype for Arcanists to take. I guess it would depend on the fluff of your character, but both the Conjuration (Teleportation) and Divination (Foresight) subschool picks are especially great for any character to have under their belt. The former is even better if n0ble allows the ability to work with the Dimensional Agility feat. Just from a usefulness and versatility point of view, it looks as though School Savant's probably the stronger of the two archetypes.

Also, what's your campaign trait going to be, Rofl? I assume Scion of the Nine Circles?
    Thanks for directing me to the Foresight subschool, I'll go with that. I'm not sure what campaign trait I'll end up deciding on, I'll figure it out once I settle on a personality. It'll depend on how cynical they are towards the concept of Diabolism.

Does anyone have suggestions for feats for casters besides the generically good ones? (Improved Init etc.) I'd be satisfied with a link to a good guide. I'm looking to find a feat chain worth investing in that's not summoning based.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone have suggestions for feats for casters besides the generically good ones? (Improved Init etc.) I'd be satisfied with a link to a good guide. I'm looking to find a feat chain worth investing in that's not summoning based.
    Seeing as you're playing an Arcanist, taking Skill Focus to pre-req for Eldritch Heritage is both thematically flavorful and fairly powerful. Since you're playing an Arcanist, you also presumably have the Charisma to pull it off. The Skill Focus will depend on what bloodline you're interested on pursuing, though, so make sure you do the research as to which one you'd like before you choose.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Seeing as you're playing an Arcanist, taking Skill Focus to pre-req for Eldritch Heritage is both thematically flavorful and fairly powerful. Since you're playing an Arcanist, you also presumably have the Charisma to pull it off. The Skill Focus will depend on what bloodline you're interested on pursuing, though, so make sure you do the research as to which one you'd like before you choose.
    There's an exploit (Bloodline Development) that mimics the first Eldritch Heritage feat, and an archetype (Blood Arcanist) that mimics the whole line. Presumably he doesn't want the latter, though, since it doesn't appear on his list of desired archetypes, so it might be worth taking the feat for prerequisites later?

Oh, since we're choosing colors, I'll take Dark Green.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, I was contemplating taking the Focused Study trait if I couldn't think of a good use for the human bonus feat slot. So that would line up with the Eldritch Heritage feat nicely. I don't think I can afford to have a Charisma higher than 13, I would only plan on taking the first feat in the chain. I need to skim through the bloodlines, but most of the first level bloodline powers seem mediocre for the feat slot.

I'll guess I'll plan on taking the Improved Familar feat, because what kind of self-respecting Chelish mage doesn't have an Imp familar. So that means I'll take a Feat to get an Exploit just for the familar at some point. Craft Wondrous Item seems like a good idea as well.

If I really can't come up with anything, I could always just take Toughness and Improved Initiative. Improved Initiative seems redundant with the Foresight abilities, but more initiative is always good right?

Is there any guide to what spells are really good for taking Spell Perfection with? From what I've read, it seems most wizard builds are advised to work towards Spell Perfection.

Regardless, here is my character sheet. I'm not settled on the alignment or the campaign trait yet, I might go NE instead. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=805684

As far as color goes, I will claim Medium Blue
    Last edited by Rofltrollcopter; 2016-05-08 at 04:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

I can't really advise you on feats to take until I know the general combat goals of your character.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    I can't really advise you on feats to take until I know the general combat goals of your character.
    Fair enough.

I want to stay away from the Summon Monster line of spells, for the purposes of making this character more distinct. It looks like every member of the party will have some damage output, so blasting doesn't seem like it will be as important.

So I think what I want to focus on is Battlefield Control with some buffing and utility. Out of combat, I want to be able to do stuff like dominating helpless peasants, animating their dead relatives, and other fun times like that, but I don't think feats are really useful for supporting that playstyle.

@n0ble. Can you confirm if we are using Background skills? You also might want to ask a Mod to move this thread to the OOC section of the forums.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hey all, sorry for being absent all day lot of traveling for a concert I'm about to see. I can safely say that yes we are using background skills, sorry if I didn't make that clear (so it is when you make a Big 16 at 6am I suppose). I'll have a post up tonight answering everything else tonight after this concert and when I have access to my computer instead of just my phone. It should be up in around 3-3.5 hours.

On another note holy moly the amount of involvement already is awesome. This is going to be so much fun!
    Last edited by n0ble; 2016-05-08 at 06:37 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Battlefield Control? The following feats may be useful to you:

Toppling Spell (magic missile), Persistent Spell, Focused Spell, Spell Perfection (black tentacles), Widen Spell, Spell Focus (Conjuration), Dazing Spell, Magic Tattoo

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Battlefield Control? The following feats may be useful to you:

Toppling Spell (magic missile), Persistent Spell, Focused Spell, Spell Perfection (black tentacles), Widen Spell, Spell Focus (Conjuration), Dazing Spell, Magic Tattoo
    These are all great suggestions! Spell Focus (Conjuration) is a bit of an overlap, but given your character's focus is clearly so different with the control, I don't think any of us will really notice it that much. If anything, Rofl, this new character reminds me a bit of Joresh (although I can see him going NE, if only for the sake of keeping the party on a relatively even keel).

So, looking at our roster, we've got all of the primary roles covered. We've got a Tank of sorts (Sebastian), a Ranged DPS (Griig), a primary Arcane Caster / Controller (Talia), and a Skill Monkey (Barl). While all of our characters have 'primary roles', it also looks as though we're going to grow into different positions over time. Sebastian is a good Face (I took the trait for rubbing elbows with the nobility for a reason, and a +7 Diplomacy and Intimidate) and eventually will be a decent buffer, Griig will also be able to cover quite a few skill bases as a Skill Monkey, and Barl will grow into a Melee DPS machine around levels 4-5. So we've got redundancies, which is actually good.

Seraphi, you said Felzak was a Bear Shaman, right? So I'm guessing he'll be there for muscle in the early game, and utility later on after Wild Shape takes off?
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #19

Felzak doesn't have any utility since he can't cast spells. He is just a bear. Very much a one trick pony.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Felzak doesn't have any utility since he can't cast spells. He is just a bear. Very much a one trick pony.
    You made a Druid with a low Wis score? May I ask why you made him a one trick pony?
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #21

You made a Druid with a low Wis score? May I ask why you made him a one trick pony?
    Look at Farmer. Divine spell lists have a few gems and a lot of circumstantial crap. Digging through sixteen to twenty spells per level to find the two or three I actually want to prepare doesn't sound appealing.

22. - Top - End - #22

If there is concern about my character being useless, then you guys just tell me which role you need me to fill and I'll come yo with something today.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

If you're going for feel, but don't want the hassle of druid spellcasting, I might recommend either barbarian or trapper archetype ranger with VMC druid. All of the flavor, buckets of meat, none of them nasty ol' spells!.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

You could certainly go Barbarian, if you wanted. Or Bloodrager? They're pretty great frontliners. Ranger VMC works well too. I haven't seen your sheet, so I don't know exactly what kind of character it is you want to play in this game. You can play pretty much any role you want, mix and match if you want. What campaign traits stick out to you, Seraphi? Are you staying with Amoral Mercenary?

I do have an idea for an alternative character if you're set on taking a good frontliner slot: I'd probably play an Inquisitor of some sort; they seem fun and flavourful, and I would only need to make a few minor adjustments to my backstory.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

25. - Top - End - #25

Alright, sure. I can roll a barbarian.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, sure. I can roll a barbarian.
    Actually, you know what? You've inspired me to make a caster Oracle. He'll still be pretty tanky, with a 14 Con and FCB his health will be pretty much the same, as will his AC at early levels, but this way I can go hard Charisma for some good secondary control and buffing, and make my character an even better face. I'm going Kytonspawn Tiefling, but as a twist keeping my Noble trait, since I'm going to have him be the child of a Nidalese diplomat.

I like Oracles. They're fun. I'm thinking Time mystery, for extra shenanigans.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-05-09 at 12:36 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

As a point of note, is there a noble house that will later on be particularly relevant to the story, that my character could have escaped from?
    I'll dig around and see if I can find one that sounds enticing/give you a rundown of the more prominent ones that I can find. One that immediately springs to mind is the Fex family, as Archbaron Darellus Fex is the mayor of Longacre. He'll be relevant to at least the first adventure path.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    All right, lots of progress made this morning. These updates are all pending DM approval, of course.

1st: Barl Tenderson is my investigator's name. Hooray for randomly spouted nonsense!

2nd: His traits are armor expert, Clever Wordplay (Bluff), and Erratic Malefactor. He is Condescending, to enable the third trait.

3rd: my first feat will be combat expertise, in order to work towards improved feint. It'll give me both a use for my bluff skill, and something to do with move actions before level 10.

Finally, for some background:
    Spoiler: Click here
    Show
    Barl was born in Longacre, to a young couple who recently fled from Kintargo and the sudden upheaval that Barzilai Thrune's actions have brought. Little did they know how bad it was going to get. It wasn't that surprising, when Barl was born clearly inhuman, but that doesn't mean his parents were happy about it. After all, the fled the unstable environment brought on my demonic influence. To have it rear its head in their own bloodline was just- distressing, to say the least.

The young Barl didn't improve matters much. From an early age, he was endlessly curious, and temperamental, never settling easily. He was a constant source of stress for his mother, who bore the lion's share of the duties of raising him. As he grew into a toddler, and a young boy, an impulsive cruelty manifested within the child. More than a few times, he was found with some small animal he had killed. He never pretended to have a good answer when asked why- he just wanted to do it. Barl's father thought more directed training would drive the trend out of his boy, so earlier than usual, he convinced the militia captain to allow his son to begin training. He couldn't have been more wrong.

Barl was punished, severely, for disregard of the captains safety. The youngster's curiosity had gotten the best of him, and he'd been found snooping about in the captain's office. After a dramatically reduced sentence, only 5 lashes with the whip, Barl promised himself, and anyone who asked that he'd never be whipped again. In secret, his desire to evade punishment did not manifest itself in a correction of his behavior, however. Rather, he got very good at avoiding the blame for his antics. Most often, he was never caught, despite the moderate bulk of his uniform armor, and the few times he was, he learned how to convincingly shift the blame to someone else. It was all-too easy to explain your location, as an upstanding (hah) member of the town militia.

His foolish parents actually thought he was becoming an upstanding young man- well, not a man exactly, but you know. They never expected that he'd fall in with someone like Cimri Staelish.
    Looks good so far! All those feats are fine and I'm digging the backstory!

I'm just about to board, sorry for not posting sooner, I was crazy frazzled from the concert. I'm glad to see that everyone has more or less found a niche for their characters, wether they're sticking with them or designing new ones.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Backstory for Talia is completed! Here is a character theme to go with it. I'll try to get to Hell's Rebels soon.

Spoiler: Backstory:
    Show

Talia grew up as a slave in the (Blank) household in Egorian. Her grandparents had made the mistake of incurring several debts that they were unable to repay. They were arrested, sold into slavery, and their children and childrens' children grew up as slaves. Talia grew up as a bright and cheerful young girl, always asking questions and being curious about the world around her. These were not good attributes for a slave to have. Her parents did their best to teach her to keep her head down, even beating her themselves when they saw the need. The best times of her youth were when she was completely ignored, instead of being subjected to the petty cruelty of the Chelaxian elite or her fellow slaves. It eventually sunk in that that besides her parents, nobody else in the world gave a damn about her, she was the only person who cared about her own interests. Her life was filled with constant drudgery, spending her time cooking, cleaning, and serving as a maid in the estate. She dreamed of being able to go out and see the world, but it looked like she would never have the chance.

Darien (Blank) was a Diabolist in the service of his household. He was considered the black sheep of the family. The man was renown for being paranoid and ill-mannered, and for having committed several egregious faux pas in the Egorian court. The only reason that the family hadn't completely ostracized him was that he was a talented Diabolist. Traditionally, it was expected that Practitioners in Cheliax would take on Apprentices. This served the purpose of advancing the Arcane arts, while also adding to the Master's prestige, and it potentially gave them a contact to call upon if their Apprentice went on to become accomplished in their own right. Darien was not interested in acquiring an apprentice. The overwhelming majority of Apprentice Candidates came from wealthy famiies which were stakeholders in the state of Chelish Politics, which did not help to alleviate Darien's paranoia. The only value that Darien saw in an Apprentice was having someone to handle the menial aspects of the Art for him.

Darien had started using the slaves in the household as assistants in his work. Many of them failed to last longer then a week, having succumbed to the typical hazards that one is exposed to while working for an amoral mage. The Overseer singled out Talia to be his latest assistant. Despite her fear of the infamous Devil-binder, Talia had managed to thrive in her new role. Darien had started to teach Talia enough of the Arcane Arts to be useful as his assistant. She was frequently tasked with cleaning up Darien's workspace, preparing spell components, handling the non-magical aspects of potion brewing, and other such tasks. Darien didn't believe in coddling, and he was very harsh when she made a mistake or otherwise forgot a detail from one of his lessons. However, there had been times when Darien had almost been a paternal figure to Talia. Talia never let those moments distract her from the fact that as far as Darien was concerned, she was simply a piece of lab equipment whose sole purpose was to make his life easier. She consistently lied about the amount of time that she needed to complete her work, just so she could steal a few more hours with Darien's private library. Talia filled in the gaps of her limited education. She didn't have a good life, but she was able to achieve a sense of sense of fulfillment that she never previously had.

Darien's paranoia grew worse. Talia was the only one who had been privy to this knowledge, but the Devils of Hell had started to regard Darien as spent goods, and not worth investing their time in. In order to maintain his power base, Darien had started to research binding more unpredictable and volatile entities. She realized that Darien's madness would get her killed. She needed a plan. Running away from the estate wouldn't be sufficient. They would send slave-catchers after her, and they would either bring her back to be punished or do worse. She made a plan, and she contemplated the consequences of her actions. Now that the (Blank) had sold her parents, there wasn't anyone else in the Estate she gave a damn about. She did feel some amount of sentimentality towards Darien, but if it was a choice between him and her, Talia knew that she had to look after herself.

Talia sabotaged Darien's summoning circle. When Darien called forth a Qlippoth into the Material Plane, the entity escaped and rampaged throughout the estate. Talia had managed to sneak off the estate grounds, and when the screaming started, she took her meager possessions and fled Egorian. She didn't know the extent of the damage or whether or not Darien survived, she was just focused on getting as far away as possible. She hoped that in the chaos of the Qlippoth's wake, it would be presumed that she been killed and her body had been destroyed. She wound up in Longacre, where she was recruited by Cimri. Talia didn't knew what her future had in store, but she would be damned before she became a slave again.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, the character is slowly percolating in my mind. The more I look at her, the more she reminds me of Lillisandra, despite her build being different. I'm torn, however, between the Intrigue and Time Mysteries. Objectively, I know that Time has got some more optimized choices, but Intrigue is just soooo much more flavorful, and it fits the idea of this character so perfectly in my head! Getting Charisma to Perception and Sense Motive aren't half bad either.

I guess the question is: to what extent should I be angling for a Face character here, as opposed to a Controller? I'd be giving up a few re-rolls (although it should be noted that I can still pick up Fortune as well as the Misfortune my character already has). Because I've already picked up the Legalistic curse for maximum Hell flavor and fun bonuses to Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive, but I'm wondering if I should go whole hog and be the most Charisma SAD fiend ever. As it stands, I'm definitely picking up Dual-Cursed for those sweet, sweet extra Revelations, but the additional class skills from my choice of Mystery go out the door either way.

Thoughts? I don't want to step on the Investigator's toes, so Farmer if you'd rather I stuck with Time manipulation, I'd be totally okay with that. But otherwise, I'm tempted to make this change, since there are quite a few abilities that look quite unique and fun to roleplay.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-05-09 at 08:17 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

30. - Top - End - #30

You know what's great about Unchained Barbarians? They get a +2 bonus to melee attack rolls and melee damage rolls, not to Str. So you can use this bonus to make a Dex based barbarian remarkably well (even better than a Dex-based fighter, because increasing Dex usually doesn't increase your damage with a finessable weapon).

My gnome barbarian will be up within the hour, hopefully.