New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Niu's New Resistance Team

Spoiler
    Show
    Currently, she is the only survivor of the Resistance and on her way to send a sending spell to Hinjo about their demise. After she sends the message, she should assemble a new team. Who should she get? (New Characters)
    - A Mongolian (or Orc) Warrior
    -Some cleric?
    - Some Wizard? (or V in Portal)
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Niu's New Resistance Team

Most likely after getting a sending spell, she'll simply book passage to the island the rest of the Azurites are on, or the Elven homelands.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

From WHERE? Just wondering where she will find allies in a completely hostile area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Currently, she is the only survivor of the Resistance and on her way to send a sending spell to Hinjo about their demise. After she sends the message, she should assemble a new team. Who should she get? (New Characters)
    - A Mongolian (or Orc) Warrior
    -Some cleric?
    - Some Wizard? (or V in Portal)
    Starting a completely new resistance group by yourself in enemy lands where the ruling forcing is (a) far more powerful than you and (b) has already squashed just about everyone in the last resistance group is gonna be near impossible.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

She uses sending and Hinjo will get the Elves to pick her up

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skaddix View Post
    She uses sending and Hinjo will get the Elves to pick her up
    What elves? The elves sent a team before to help a good sized group of low-to-mid levels resist a world-threatening regime that conquered one of the strongest bastions of good on the mortal plane, why send another team/person capable of teleporting to the other side of the world JUST to pick up a level, like, 5ish or something fighter/rogue? Waste of time, resources, and unless its a team of 6 epic level elves come to wipe out Xykon, pointless.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-01-13 at 11:53 PM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Starting a completely new resistance group by yourself in enemy lands where the ruling forcing is (a) far more powerful than you and (b) has already squashed just about everyone in the last resistance group is gonna be near impossible.
    Maybe Companion to survive in Hostile land (like Need help guys)?
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    What elves? The elves sent a team before to help a good sized group of low-to-mid levels resist a world-threatening regime that conquered one of the strongest bastions of good on the mortal plane, why send another team/person capable of teleporting to the other side of the world JUST to pick up a level, like, 5ish or something fighter/rogue? Waste of time, resources, and unless its a team of 6 epic level elves come to wipe out Xykon, pointless.
    It costs two level 5 spells to teleport there and back, one level 4 spell to scry the area to get Studied carefully level familiarity, one hour to do said studying, no material cost for teleport, and scrying costs Eye of Eagle, nitric acid, copper, and zinc, and the time to teleport there and back.

All spells are refreshed each day. So what are the resources getting wasted here?
    Hello world. . .

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post

All spells are refreshed each day. So what are the resources getting wasted here?
    I direct you to this neat list of the resources required.
    ...two level 5 spells to teleport there and back, one level 4 spell to scry the area to get Studied carefully level familiarity, one hour to do said studying, no material cost for teleport, and scrying costs Eye of Eagle, nitric acid, copper, and zinc, and the time to teleport there and back.
    This, to get a human level 5 fighter/rogue. Who could be a poly morphed spy.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-01-14 at 12:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    From WHERE? Just wondering where she will find allies in a completely hostile area.
    Cliffport?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

True. But if Niu does decide to restart the Resistance, it's not going to be as hard to keep the organization safe as it was up until this point. Without Team Evil around, Gobbotopia presumably has very few high-level characters left to scry, spy, and fight, etc.; if it weren't for the fact that many of the tunnels have been collapsed, I'd say that it would be far easier than before for an underground liberation movement to operate. There probably won't even be a roving Wight squad that cracks down on Black Ops activities anymore.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

No one who had gone through what Niu has (and, like Niu, is not a completely hardened type) would turn around and try again, especially without any high-level characters. As a sane person, not to mention one whose best friend sacrificed his life so she could get away, she's going to be leaving the area as quickly as possible, with a good chance of some PTSD to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    Most likely after getting a sending spell, she'll simply book passage to the island the rest of the Azurites are on, or the Elven homelands.
    I agree with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Cliffport?
    maybe wandering adventurer in trouble!
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Maybe Companion to survive in Hostile land (like Need help guys)?
    Who? Who is there? All the "companions" are either the resistance members who were just killed, goblinoids, or prisoners heavily locked up. Not many options there.

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

I said pick up they send in someone with teleport to grab her and bring her to the island. I did not say send a new attack force in. Although they might seeing as the Top 4 and the Most Powerful undead minions will soon be departing leaving paltry resistance that the blues should be able to defeat.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Who? Who is there? All the "companions" are either the resistance members who were just killed, goblinoids, or prisoners heavily locked up. Not many options there.
    Maybe curious adventurers, risktakers, nomads, exiled warrior clans or dumb dudes.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

17. - Top - End - #17

RedWizardGuy

I direct you to this neat list of the resources required.

This, to get a human level 5 fighter/rogue. Who could be a poly morphed spy.
    She sends sending assuming they pick her up quickly enough it should be fine besides u can figure out if a persons a spy if u know to look by playing 20 Questions.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, all that to get a complete nobody to the elves. I don't see why they would want to teleport to pick her up when she should be perfectly able to just go to Cliffport and take a boat. She could give more information than the 25 words the sending would be able to, but she's hardly O-Chul in her ability to know spelllists, and the elves do not seem to be invested in the Gates enough (or at all) to spend any more resources to get instantaneous information to help the bunch of homeless hungry Azurites who plopped themselves down on an island near them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

While the elves we've seen do seem to tend towards being efficient to the extant of appearing cold, Niu does have possible value beyond a single sending. Sending can convey a great deal of information in 25 words, used well, but it still requires sacrificing significant information.

Even so, it would be understandable to leave her to find her own way. Niu is an experienced Fighter/Rogue. She's been fighting as a part of the resistance for a great deal of time, now, in adventuring terms. She should be able to evade encounters she can't handle, and avoid perils more naive NPCs would fall to.
    Last edited by Tulya; 2012-01-14 at 02:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Add me to the list who don't think another Resistance is going to spring up here. They were at their strongest just now, with Team Peregrine on side and presumably everyone having gained a level or two through fighting, and yet Redcloak crushed them with as little care or effort as someone might spend crushing an ant. And he did that alone! It ought to be pretty obvious to Niu now, even if it wasn't before, that this is an unwinnable war--even if she had the entire Order in Azure City to help her out she couldn't turn the tide against 20 thousand hobgoblins (plus however many more goblinoids have moved in recently) even without Xykon and Redcloak present.

Plus, on a more practical level, where could any new Resistance hide out? The mountain caves have been discovered and collapsed by earthquake. Realistically, the only hope left for freeing Azure City from goblinoid rule is a direct frontal assault by a large army.

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Add me to the list who don't think another Resistance is going to spring up here. They were at their strongest just now, with Team Peregrine on side and presumably everyone having gained a level or two through fighting, and yet Redcloak crushed them with as little care or effort as someone might spend crushing an ant. And he did that alone! It ought to be pretty obvious to Niu now, even if it wasn't before, that this is an unwinnable war--even if she had the entire Order in Azure City to help her out she couldn't turn the tide against 20 thousand hobgoblins (plus however many more goblinoids have moved in recently) even without Xykon and Redcloak present.

Plus, on a more practical level, where could any new Resistance hide out? The mountain caves have been discovered and collapsed by earthquake. Realistically, the only hope left for freeing Azure City from goblinoid rule is a direct frontal assault by a large army.
    also cliffport are goblin allies

more likely a naval invasion but it depends on how much damage they want to do to the city

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Interestingly enough, the only large armies we've seen are those in the Empires of Bodily Fluids. The Azurites certainly don't have tens of thousands of soldiers at their disposal. The Elves presumably don't have a large army available either, or they wouldn't rely on inserting commando teams (a classic tactic for a state that wants to fight a war on the cheap). The various humanoid nations on the Southern and Northern continents are divided amongst themselves, and among the most powerful of them recognize Gobbotopia. Nothing can be said of the Dwarves, but they are far away.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

more likely a naval invasion but it depends on how much damage they want to do to the city
    Er no, "recognition" does not equal "allies". Cliffport simply accepted that Gobbotopia is there to stay, and they'll overlook the whole human slavery bit by making half hearted entreaties to change it via "economic engagement"
    Last edited by AniThyng; 2012-01-14 at 06:33 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Interestingly enough, the only large armies we've seen are those in the Empires of Bodily Fluids. The Azurites certainly don't have tens of thousands of soldiers at their disposal. The Elves presumably don't have a large army available either, or they wouldn't rely on inserting commando teams (a classic tactic for a state that wants to fight a war on the cheap). The various humanoid nations on the Southern and Northern continents are divided amongst themselves, and among the most powerful of them recognize Gobbotopia. Nothing can be said of the Dwarves, but they are far away.
    I think it was implied that there were a lot more Azurite troops than died in the defence of the city; the trouble was that maybe half their forces were feudal in style, and then there were a lot of desertions. Without the Sapphire Guard it seems unlikely they can be a major threat, though. We don't really know if the humanoid nations have many troops, not seeing them doesn't mean they're not there - and similarly with the elves. They may just deem that it's not worth sending a whole army to Azure city and suffer heavy losses against an epic-level lich, which would then leave their homelands low on protection. Tarquin doesn't seem to want to bring the elves in to attack him, so they must have some kind of significant force.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

Her new resistance team will include:

1 Dashing Swordsman and his airship crew
    1 Dwarven female cleric of Loki
    2 Contract killers (1 human 1 dwarf)
    1 Gnome Druid and 1 Half elf wizard
    1 Human wizard girl and her ghost dad
    1 Human male cleric of Loki
    2 Lawyers
    1 Paladin without a bard servant

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Already been said but yeah cliffport isn't actually allied to Gobbotopia, it's just not it's enemy. And it really only recognized it as a nation and opened trade with it due to the Elvin infiltrators harassing the place, Cliffport and Gobbotopia share a disliking of Elves, so if Gobbotopia is being attacked by elves, that both means they are not working with the elves, and they do not like the elves. The enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisnotspam View Post
    Her new resistance team will include:

1 Dashing Swordsman and his airship crew
    1 Dwarven female cleric of Loki
    2 Contract killers (1 human 1 dwarf)
    1 Gnome Druid and 1 Half elf wizard
    1 Human wizard girl and her ghost dad
    1 Human male cleric of Loki
    2 Lawyers
    1 Paladin without a bard servant
    Ohhh now that would be fun
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

RangerGuy

They can get information from her. Much more so than they can get from a single Sending spell. It would be way easier to just scry the place, sure, but that doesn't work because of the Cloyster. So rescuing someone with info is a valid strategy, specially now that infiltrating a new team would mean building the whole "resistance" infra-structure from the ground up again.

They're "wasting" an easily renewable resource (spells) that would probably go to waste anyways (unless we assume every idle wizard finds a way to burn all of their spells every day) to get potentially important information. That sounds like a fine trade, to me. In fact, it sounds like an effortless way to get an edge on your enemies. And, assuming Team Peregrine's view on goblinoids is any compatible with the elven government's, Gobbotopia is their enemy, the whole deal was not just a way to help the Azurites.
    Last edited by Roland Itiative; 2012-01-14 at 08:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    The Elves presumably don't have a large army available either, or they wouldn't rely on inserting commando teams (a classic tactic for a state that wants to fight a war on the cheap).
    It's also a classic tactic for a state that is thousands of miles from its target and thus can't easily send a full-sized army! Xykon isn't taking the hobgoblins with him to the Western Continent for the same reason...just too impractical to *get* them there, unless you happen to have an epic-level teleportation specialist like Ganonron available.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

I figure it's more likely for Niu to go solo for now. Missing presumed dead until someone is being attacked by goblins when a well-timed backstab signals her return.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Surely there are at least two other resistance cells.

They formed a unified residence here, but that doesn't mean they were all in the same place. And small, separate cells is a basic technique for resistance fighters. There are, therefore, likely still to be other resistance cells she can join.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold