New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Darths And Droids 2: Should've Gone to Naboo

I'd also think the end of the campaign won't cause any harm between the players. Except maybe between the GM and the players but that's only natural

For the future, just as Icedaemon (if I understood correctly) I suspected Annie to become the GM for a while since it would easily let her play Vader in the next campaign. There's not much to argue against people staying with their current characters, Pete as R2D2, Sally as C3PO/Yoda, Ben as Obi-Wan. Though We probably need new players for Jim and Han, probably Leia, too. The old GM make pick up one of those, but unless some is going to dual play two characters, there's no way around at least one further member. They can't all be NPCs.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A new person will play as Luke. That way the "I am your father" moment will actually be surprising for him.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

I just started reading Darth's and Droids. This comic is hilarious
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    I just started reading Darth's and Droids. This comic is hilarious
    Yes, and it is awesome too.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

I still think Ben should play Luke, he's good at being the hero. Obi-Wan is his character, but he would work as an NPC. Leia makes sense as an NPC, too, she really doesn't do that much. Han really has to be Jim, nobody fits that personality more than he does. Pete of course is R2, and I think Sally will start as 3PO but switch to Chewbacca. This would leave Annie as the GM, which makes sense, Vader is her character, plus the Han/Leia romance would be awkward if it was handled by Jim and the current GM.

But where would that leave our current GM? Well, maybe he'll take a much-needed break and come back in the second movie as Lando (with possibly a cameo appearance as Biggs and/or Wedge). Him and Annie being in cahoots in the Cloud City parts makes sense to me.
    Currently playing: Jathal Darsha'an; Linie

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like Leia will end up being a player character eventually. She does do important stuff later on.

Oh man... what if Jim took her over after Han's experimentation with Carbonite? Talk about awkward...
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I feel like Leia will end up being a player character eventually. She does do important stuff later on.

Oh man... what if Jim took her over after Han's experimentation with Carbonite? Talk about awkward...
    I don't think he'd need to take over her. Han is frozen at the end of one movie and unfrozen at the beginning of the next. He isn't gone long, tbh.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

In the prequels, there are plenty of characters who play bit parts, whom Sally took control of. C3PO and Chewbaccha are both fairly regular characters in the original series, so both having players makes sense. Really, the only main character who croaks it partway through is Obi-Wan, suggesting that Ben might be the one to play several secondary characters - perhaps first switching to Biggs and finally settling in as Lando. Sally will probably play as Yoda, while C3PO is broken.

That would probably leave us with:
    Jim as Leia, the current GM as Luke, Sally as C3PO (or possibly Chewbaccha), Ben as Obi-Wan, Pete as R2-D2 and noone playing Han or Chewie. Given how those two are introduced together, perhaps this will be a new pair of players - Chewie as a the creation of a somewhat different munchkin than R2-D2.

Under this theory, we would get two new players, unless some played several characters. Of course, Annie as one relatively new to GMing might have Han be a reviled GMPC, I suppose. Then again, perhaps she will succeed in making the rare 'likable GMPC' and be surprised when the players elect to risk their lives to save him after she writes him out.
    Last edited by Icedaemon; 2011-07-27 at 03:37 AM.
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Alternatively, Jim (as Leia) will "force" them to save Han because he's Annie's character and something or rather like that.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

10. - Top - End - #130
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'd be amused if Chewie is indeed a new player - a friend of Annie's, or maybe even Sally's, who tries to make an interesting RP character and ends up out-munchkining Pete by accident, much to his shock and fury.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'd be amused if Chewie is indeed a new player - a friend of Annie's, or maybe even Sally's, who tries to make an interesting RP character and ends up out-munchkining Pete by accident, much to his shock and fury.
    Chewie could also be Sally making a character using advice from Pete. It makes sense -- she invented Chewie and his race, so she's the most likely one to remember him; and she's followed Pete's advice on things before.

The only odd thing is that she doesn't really need a new character, since C3PO plays a relatively bigger role on the original trilogy. Still, she might want a character capable of contributing more mechanically, like Yoda did.

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    In the prequels, there are plenty of characters who play bit parts, whom Sally took control of. C3PO and Chewbaccha are both fairly regular characters in the original series, so both having players makes sense. Really, the only main character who croaks it partway through is Obi-Wan, suggesting that Ben might be the one to play several secondary characters - perhaps first switching to Biggs and finally settling in as Lando. Sally will probably play as Yoda, while C3PO is broken.
    Ben switching to Leia makes more sense, though, since she begins to play a regular role immediately around the time Obi-Wan dies. Biggs is only onscreen for a handful of minutes, while Lando doesn't appear until very late in the second movie, with absolutely huge gaps where neither appear -- plus, both are pretty minor roles overall, and there are already more major obviously-PC roles than there are players.

(It would be amusing of Sally played Luke, since this would fit the brother-and-sister thing. But it seems unlikely when there's so many other characters she could play.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2011-07-28 at 04:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Chewie could also be Sally making a character using advice from Pete. It makes sense -- she invented Chewie and his race, so she's the most likely one to remember him; and she's followed Pete's advice on things before.
    That's why I think it would be funny if Chewie was one of Sally's friends. She told them all about this cool awesome alien she created, and they want to play one in her brother's cool game, picking abilities at random and ending up with a horribly broken combat god that puts Pete to shame.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Well... the finale is drawing close... I'm getting more and more curious how Jim will die.
    Also... the pun in today's title caused me physical pain

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Is Jim really getting emotional here or is this just roleplaying?

I know he was slightly emotional about Annie earlier, but I'm not sure why he'd be getting choked up now (pun not intended)?
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

15. - Top - End - #135
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah I agree, this seems oddly well roleplayed considering his last conversation with obi wan.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #136

You know, Miracle would work too to fix this. Of course, that only works with clerics, and the jedi are monks.

17. - Top - End - #137

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Ben switching to Leia makes more sense, though, since she begins to play a regular role immediately around the time Obi-Wan dies. Biggs is only onscreen for a handful of minutes, while Lando doesn't appear until very late in the second movie, with absolutely huge gaps where neither appear -- plus, both are pretty minor roles overall, and there are already more major obviously-PC roles than there are players.

(It would be amusing of Sally played Luke, since this would fit the brother-and-sister thing. But it seems unlikely when there's so many other characters she could play.)
    I initially thought so as well, but since Leia, R2 and C3PO are important characters straight from the beginning, her being a PC from the start is not improbable.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Expressions were spot on in today's comic.

Can't wait to see their version of Padme's death... what is going to happen?

19. - Top - End - #139

I initially thought so as well, but since Leia, R2 and C3PO are important characters straight from the beginning, her being a PC from the start is not improbable.
    Yeah, but she also spends a good chunk of the first movie imprisoned. Maybe if that's plot-explained by her player (whoever it is) being sick, or going to band camp, or something.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Today's comic really brought up something that is annoying for DMs: Failed spot checks. The thing is, if you tell your player to make a spot check and they fail they still know there's something they missed and probably even know what it is. Sometimes you can make the spot check so they don't see it but they'll still know there might have been something unless you are making spot checks like all the time for no reason to confuse them..

Er, back on comic, yeah, everything was great, though kind of little dialogue. I can understand Jim's disappointment... killing stuff is much more fun than a senate discussion. And gives more XP!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Today's comic really brought up something that is annoying for DMs: Failed spot checks. The thing is, if you tell your player to make a spot check and they fail they still know there's something they missed and probably even know what it is. Sometimes you can make the spot check so they don't see it but they'll still know there might have been something unless you are making spot checks like all the time for no reason to confuse them..
    I find the key is to have a copy of the character sheet in front of you, and roll spot checks and such for them. That way, you don't say "Sir Knightley McScotstabber, make a fortitude save!" "What!?! Why!!!" "Oh, no reason."
    Instead, for things that need to be kept secret, like spot checks, search checks, poisons, forgery checks, sense motive, disease, those sort of things, you roll for them yourself.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

22. - Top - End - #142

i honestly think they will handle padme's death like this:
    I think that jims shift towards attempting roleplaying was intended so that when the final confrontation came he(jim) would side with obi-wan againts anakin. Anakin chokes padme because of this. OR

Obi-wan will come and say "hey, strike down anakin and you could rule the galaxy by my side."
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post
    I think that jims shift towards attempting roleplaying was intended so that when the final confrontation came he(jim) would side with obi-wan againts anakin. Anakin chokes padme because of this. OR

Obi-wan will come and say "hey, strike down anakin and you could rule the galaxy by my side."
    Obi-wan: /Jedi Mind Trick "Padme, go kill anikan."

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think Ben is going to play Leia. I mean Obi-wan dies shortly after Leia is rescued, so why not?

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by SheepInDisguise View Post

Aniken: You brought Obi Wan with you? You have betrayed me I have no choice but to kill you!!!!

26. - Top - End - #146

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, but she also spends a good chunk of the first movie imprisoned. Maybe if that's plot-explained by her player (whoever it is) being sick, or going to band camp, or something.
    Or possibly role-playing the 'imprisioned' part on occasion.

27. - Top - End - #147

Or possibly role-playing the 'imprisioned' part on occasion.
    That'll be hard to do without screencaps...we see Leia exactly three times from the Tantive IV to Luke's rescue of her; when she meets Tarkin, when they torture her, and when they blow up Alderaan. Not a whole lot of material to stretch out over 2/3 of the movie.

28. - Top - End - #148

That'll be hard to do without screencaps...we see Leia exactly three times from the Tantive IV to Luke's rescue of her; when she meets Tarkin, when they torture her, and when they blow up Alderaan. Not a whole lot of material to stretch out over 2/3 of the movie.
    Its possible that someone isnt going to be able to make it to the first few sessions, so that persons character will be "locked up" and the rest of the party has to play a few sessions towards rescuing her. Up till the breakout, she is a dmpc, or just some background story the dm is reading to the group so they know whats going on.

29. - Top - End - #149

More likely Leia is introduced by the DN as a strictly background character to begin with - the whole "rescue the kidnapped princess" thing being so much of a trope for trying to get control of a campaign back it's laughable. Consider after all that her initial interactions are pretty much all with Vader, who will presumably still be a PC, and she doesn't really become a playable entity until the breakout at best.

Then I can see one of the other players deciding to take her over. Either Ben when he loses Obi-Wan. Or even Annie when she decides she doesn't like where Vader is taking her. It's much the same after all as when the DM introduced Shmi as a character for Annie, with Anakin as fluff, only to be totally subverted.

It's somewhat moot as to why tje DM would let a player switch characters that way (Ben's onscreen death is pretty much by his choice in the movie, and I don't see the sdreen caps omitting that) since there is ample precedent for it not only with Annie but with Sally ping-ponging between roles.
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

30. - Top - End - #150

Did anyone notice that there's a new strip in the strip 50 series- the ones with on-shot game sessions based on other movies?

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/barnacles/0050.html
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele