New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default IRC Thread 2.0: Hopefully with less necromancy (because people actually post in it)

THIS THREAD IS OLD, THE NEW THREAD IS HERE

Welcome to the second official thread for my unofficial GiantITP.com IRC channel. Those of you that are reading this and wondering what the hell I'm talking about, IRC is a text-based chatting client. It functions much like the chat feature in a standard MMO. Once you are connected to a server, you can join various channels and chat with the people in those channels.

Given certain tendencies that people on this board have, I have added a Diceroller bot to the channel, and in the event of people playing a game through IRC, it can be invited into other channels for use. To use the bot, just say !dice [a]#[x]d[y]±[z]~[b], replacing the [x],[y], and [z]s with the appropriate numbers. The [a]# and ~[b] are optional, and allow you to make multiple seperate rolls. [a]# doing multiple identical rolls, and ~[b] doing rolls with multiple modifiers, such as a +20/+15/+10/+5 full attack.
    <NEO|Phyte> !dice 4#1d20
    <The_TPK> NEO|Phyte : Result of 4#1d20 : 2 5 12 15

<NEO|Phyte> !dice 1d20+20~15~10~5
    <The_TPK> NEO|Phyte : Result of 1d20+20~15~10~5 : (3) 23 (16) 31 (7) 17 (2) 7
    If you've used IRC before, aim your clients at #GiantITP on irc.gamesurge.net
    For those of you that are interested, but don't have IRC, Mortarion has created a Web-based IRC client that you can try. Note that only 4 people can be using this client at any one time, though that hasn't come up thus far in its existence.

If you want to get a regular IRC client, here is a simple guide:
    1. Download an IRC Client (mIRC is free inspite the apparent 30 day use.) (If you don't use Windows, there is a list of other IRC clients farther down in this post.)

2. In the mIRC Options set your nickname as your nickname, then go to the server tab and select GameSurge Random Server.

3. Connect, and type "/j #GiantITP"
    Since this guide is rather vague, I have created a picture walkthrough of setting up mIRC to connect to the channel.
    You just opened mIRC, and should see this screen.

Once you have set your credentials, its time to choose a server.

once thats done, you can hit connect, but you still won't be in the channel. Once you're connected to the server, you can type "/j #GiantITP" and you will be connected to the channel, but its quicker to set mIRC to automatically do so.

After thats set, you can hit Connect. Assuming nothing went wrong, you should end up with something like this:
    I'm told that most clients work similarly to this.

Users of Mozilla browsers (such as Firefox) can use Chatzilla to connect to the IRC. Once you have it installed, all you need to do is open it from your Tools menu, configure as desired, then type "/server irc.gamesurge.net", and "/j #GiantITP" once it finishes connecting.

If you use Trillian, it has a built-in IRC client.
    For non-windows users, there is X-Chat, which has builds for a handful of Lunix distros.
    There is also Conversation for the Mac users on the boards.
    If none of these work for you, I can dig up other IRC clients for you.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2010-07-31 at 01:52 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: IRC Thread 2.0: Hopefully with less necromancy (because people actually post in i

Listen to this authentic testimonial, from me: the IRC channel is more fun than a barrel of monkeys! It enlarged my penis! It made me rich! And tall! Everyone there is so nice, Jesus came in, then left in shame!

On a more serious note, its real merits include nice people, several ongoing and in-planning games of various nature, varied and fluidly changing conversation and me. You owe it to yourself to take fiveten fifteen minutes to do all the above and check us out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IRC Thread 2.0: Hopefully with less necromancy (because people actually post in i

So apparently not enough people are aware of IRC yet, so I'm bringing this thread back from however many pages back it managed to get. I think it's been sitting past the month and a half mark for a bit, hopefully the mods are feeling nice enough to not necrolock the thread.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    (because people actually post in it)
    Why would people post in the thread when there is chat going on?
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Guys, IRC works even when the boards are down. IRC never debates the Monk's merits. IRC never has alignment debates. IRC never insists Belkar is LG and Roy CE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

IRC - now with 100% extra AstralFire.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

confused Re: IRC Thread 2.0: Hopefully with less necromancy (because people actually post in i

What does IRC even stand for? And for that matter, what does IIRC stand for? Im so confused.....?
    Last edited by Ripped Shirt Kirk; 2009-08-19 at 11:20 PM.
    Offical Diviner of the Vaarsuvius Fanclub

The Vorpal Tribble:
    Roy likes big Sylphs and he cannot lie, You other fighters can't deny
    That when an outsider walks in with a small category And a winged thing in your backstory You get Charmed Wanna take a feat that's tough
    Cuz you notice her size was buffed...
    Thanks to Holammer for the Avvie!

Last edited by no-one in particular : Tommorow at 17:90 PM

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by xxrevanxx View Post
    What does IRC even stand for? And for that matter, what does IIRC stand for? Im so confused.....?
    Internet Relay Chat, if I recall correctly.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

9. - Top - End - #9
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by xxrevanxx View Post
    IIRC is If I remember correctly
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Join us!
    Do it!
    You know you want to!
    And some more "sentence exclamation mark" stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Much lulz avatar made by Fayt, and Echowind made the, awesome, always angry William. And the awesome thelizard made the not-right-in-the-head Argile

Giantitp (Unofficial) IRC. Join now !

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Plus you get to talk to us with less moderation and scrubbed posts! That really is the biggest draw of the IRC channel - more freedom to work with, compared to the forums.

We've even got a few games running, plus a whole lot of interesting homebrew that doesn't get shared widely elsewhere, if you're looking for those.
    Join the IRC channel or else.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    You do not [play Pun-Pun]. You do not.

Pun-Pun is purely a thought exercise, made to go "haha, look at this series of poorly finished but easily properly understood rules which can be abused for the purpose of laughter." It is the D&D equivalent of being endowed like a tribal fertility statue, or 90's Madonna outfits - scary, striking, suggestive, and completely nonfunctional.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

One day, when the origional post doesnt look too complicated for me (perhaps when i turn 57) i will try this IRC thing.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

If it makes things easier, you don't necessarily need mIRC to chat. There's a browser-based IRC client called Mibbit that you can use in its stead if you don't want to install something. No Java or Flash required, either (so it'll work in places where you can't install a separate client).

Just pick GameSurge from the IRC dropdown, pick a nick, and set it to join #giantitp.

....this should probably be listed in the original post as a simpler option.
    Last edited by Break; 2009-08-28 at 03:18 AM.
    Join the IRC channel or else.

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    You do not [play Pun-Pun]. You do not.

Pun-Pun is purely a thought exercise, made to go "haha, look at this series of poorly finished but easily properly understood rules which can be abused for the purpose of laughter." It is the D&D equivalent of being endowed like a tribal fertility statue, or 90's Madonna outfits - scary, striking, suggestive, and completely nonfunctional.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

More people should join the IRC. We're an amazingly well informed bunch. And most of us play Multiple game systems.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I've just worked it out... I think.

Nickname is LMinion.

I used Opera - to get it to work:

- go to Tools > Mail and Chat Accounts...

- choose Chat (IRC)

- Enter your real name and e-mail address. Click Next

- Choose a Nick

- In the next box, enter "irc.gamesurge.net"

- Once it opens, close the box that appears. Go to Chat > Join Room...

- Type #giantitp in the box that appears.

- Add the Chat panel to allow you to get back to the room quickly in future.

- If anything is said while you're looking at another tab, the Opera icon in the System Tray will change to tell you.

And I missed the last post date. Whoops.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2009-11-22 at 02:27 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Good lord I'm old, the first post made absolutely no sense to me, and frankly I've never heard of IRC before.

Excuse me while I go do old person stuff.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I should actually remember to go on this sometimes.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Connected! I'll stay connected to it all day if I remember to join in the morning.
    PM me for computer hardware advice/help.
    thanks to Simius for the awesome avatar
    cookies drawn by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

When's a good time to get a 3.5 game going? I joined the server at noon for the lulziness, but it's silent.

20. - Top - End - #20

OK. Let's see what the heck is this all about (if I can get the IRC running )
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have a signature one day...

Thanks Mr. Saturn for the awesome Pokeatar

21. - Top - End - #21

Well, here we go. I've been looking for a new IRC community ever since my old one went downhill. I'm on!

Edit: Was bored. Made a sig banner. See below.
    Please rehost. Traffic don't come cheap, y'know? :D
    Last edited by Whoracle; 2010-02-18 at 05:28 AM.