New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default You're a Green Dragon, and...

Alright. So.

You're a Green Dragon, an Adult one, namely. Cr 13.

Str 27, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 16
    Base Atk +15; CMB +25; CMD 35 (39 vs. trip)
    Feats Alertness, Cleave, Flyby Attack, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (bite, claws), Iron Will, Power Attack
    Skills Fly +10, Knowledge (arcane) +21, Knowledge (nature) +21, Perception +25, Spellcraft +21, Stealth +10, Survival +21, Swim +34, Use Magic Device +21
    Languages Common, Draconic, Elven, Sylvan
    SQ trackless step, water breathing, woodland stride

You have everything here to open a case that is no bigger than 6 inches by 1 foot by 4 inches.

The box contains a dormant sphere of annihilation, which is no larger than a small oval rock, triggered to become an active as soon as the case is opened. Along with this, the sphere is laying a scroll of gate, which will also activate on the sphere as soon as the case is opened.

What means, and what methods would an Adult Green Dragon use to open this and keep said artifact in its dormant state?

The plot-scripted effect of opening the box normally involves the second affect, which is going to involve the sphere UNMAKING everything in a 360 foot diameter.

The Case is Made of Adamantium, lined with lead on double fronts, and has 3 Amazing Adamantium locks on it, which are all spring locks, meaning they're unaffected by knock.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Duboris; 2012-10-07 at 07:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Your a Green Dragon, and...

Oh for the love of... not another one of these silly things again.

First off, the scenario you described won't work, because a scroll cannot be set to go off when circumstances occur.

Second off, the Gate effect would take the SoA to wherever it was keyed to go to, so it wouldn't go off even if it COULD activate.

Third off, all locks can be affected by Knock, a simple wand defeats this most trivial of challenges.

Fourth off, it's a pathetically simple challenge, given the WBL the dragon has access to. Simply coating it in Quintessence is enough to remove it from the time stream and prevent anything from activating.

So you've basically got several blatant rules violations in your original supposition, and even WITH them, it's still trivially conquered.

I hope this doesn't turn into another Stuffy Doll scenario, I really don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    I'm not going to make it like that.

However, it would be more helpful if you could help suggestions like that. The 4 locks, effectable by knock or not, are benign, as my wizard PC never takes the spell, as I rarely give him locks he can't normally open.

The Gate thing is obviously just a plot device, but if you have something that could cast it upon being opened, that'd be great.

The dragon isn't aware of what device is inside, however.

I'm simply asking for a scenario where he could open it, and well, not kill my entire party and himself at the same time.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duboris View Post
    The dragon isn't aware of what device is inside, however.

I'm simply asking for a scenario where he could open it, and well, not kill my entire party and himself at the same time.
    So... the question is how to blind-disable an extraordinarily dangerous bomb without prior knowledge that it's even explosive?

Yeah, this'll go real well.

Essentially it comes down to having a chance to prepare for disabling it; otherwise there is no plausibility of success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

The players will tell the dragon that it is potentially destructive, as will the commanding knight that they're with.

He'll tell it at first that there's a SoA in the box, along with what it's original purpose was, which was to be sent into a renegade hideout and wipe them off the face of the earth.

After that, the dragon would attempt to undo it. The question is, is how.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

=>ShneekeyTheLost
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh for the love of... not another one of these silly things again.
    We have one of these types of threads at least once a week...

First off, the scenario you described won't work, because a scroll cannot be set to go off when circumstances occur.
    *Lets assume the Chest is an awakened chest with +37 to UMD

Second off, the Gate effect would take the SoA to wherever it was keyed to go to, so it wouldn't go off even if it COULD activate.
    *The Gate is keyed to go to a room on another plane where the adventurers just so happen to unfortunately be, meaning the SoA goes through the portal and ruins someones week.

Third off, all locks can be affected by Knock, a simple wand defeats this most trivial of challenges.
    *Assume the awakened chest has spell immunity casted on it to render it immune to knock

Fourth off, it's a pathetically simple challenge, given the WBL the dragon has access to. Simply coating it in Quintessence is enough to remove it from the time stream and prevent anything from activating.
    *Time Hop also works. You can remove the lock on the chest

So you've basically got several blatant rules violations in your original supposition, and even WITH them, it's still trivially conquered.
    Thought exercises like these are actually allowed to bend the rules for example: "How hard to kill would a straight Archivist with Uncanny Forethought, a Full BAB and a good Fort save be? Oh and he's undead and has regeneration!" These things clearly violate the rules, but the question isn't "Is this RAW legal" It's "How do I kill this abomination?" meaning "blatant rule violations" lose their meaning since these experiments aren't supposed to follow all the rules and are just to be combinations of traits that make the subject harder to kill or open or whatever the goal is.

That would imply that the box gets another lock after each attempt Thanks for referencing Stuffy Doll on that note.
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-10-07 at 08:50 PM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do we want to open the box if we also want to keep the SoA dormant? It seems like as good a container as any for Ultimate Destruction.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

UMD a Dorje (wand) of Time Hop on the box. It jumps forward in time, remaining unopened, leaving the contents behind to be retrieved. Since the box was never opened, the plot device is never triggered.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

A simple casting of shape metal should be enough to reshape the box so that you can get the SoA and scroll out with messing the locks, clasp, etc. without actually opening it.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Seeing as how the post above mine makes sense, I'm still wondering whether a Green Dragon would willingly take that as a token for your safe passage, if only to add to his massive hoard.

I mean a Block of Adamantium in itself is a reasonable token. Hell I might just remove the thing entirely and put something not so capable of breaking the laws of the space-time continuum in, if only to make sure I don't unmake 6 PCs and a CR 13 Green Dragon.

Also it might have been valueble to point out that every character in this is below level 4, and there's only a Chaotic Neutral Cleric (Chaotic Evil Deity) and a Wizard playing a wizard for the first time that could potentially cause this thing to erupt without mercy.
    Last edited by Duboris; 2012-10-07 at 09:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The dragon animates the box and has it destroy the scroll, and then uses a Rod of Cancellation on the sphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The dragon animates the box and has it destroy the scroll, and then uses a Rod of Cancellation on the sphere.
    Or that.

Doesn't a rod of cancellation destroy a sphere?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

What's the Stuffy Doll scenario?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

=>Duboris
    Spoiler
    Show
    Or that.

Doesn't a rod of cancellation destroy a sphere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod of Cancellation
    This dreaded rod is a bane to magic items, for its touch drains an item of all magical properties. The item touched must make a DC 23 Will save to prevent the rod from draining it. If a creature is holding it at the time, then the item can use the holder’s Will save bonus in place of its own if the holder’s is better. In such cases, contact is made by making a melee touch attack roll. Upon draining an item, the rod itself becomes brittle and cannot be used again. Drained items are only restorable by wish or miracle. (If a sphere of annihilation and a rod of cancellation negate each other, nothing can restore either of them.)
    I think this is the perfect resolution to the Ultimate Spear Vs Ultimate Shield argument...

=>Karkus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by karkus View Post
    The object(s) or creature(s) increases in difficulty each time. Think of the Omni-Droid from The Incredibles. Each time after each defeat getting stronger and stronger, eventually getting to the point where only itself can defeat itself (That seriously put egg on my face...).
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-10-07 at 10:17 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by karkus View Post
    Go and click the thing that says "D&D 3e/3.5e/d20", and browse the first page of this very forum.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: You're a Green Dragon, and...

For the sake of not killing my overly-curious PC's, could anyone by chance suggest an artifact of equal power that won't kill everyone as soon as it meets contact with sunlight, but was possibly still intended to kill everyone in the surrounding area?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

For the sake of not killing my overly-curious PC's, could anyone by chance suggest an artifact of equal power that won't kill everyone as soon as it meets contact with sunlight, but was possibly still intended to kill everyone in the surrounding area?
    Custom intelligent artifact that makes everyone around it paranoid to the point they start killing one another without automatically realizing the artifact is the source of the sudden discord?
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-08 at 12:24 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Custom intelligent artifact that makes everyone around it paranoid to the point they start killing one another without automatically realizing the artifact is the source of the sudden dischord?
    Ladies and gentlemen I present you the Statue of Discord... If enough Discord is presented a... Whatever the hell Discord is pops in on you and ruins your entire week

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Bottle a Living Spell of some helpful (read: horribly deadly) spell using PF Alchemist ability.

Possibilities: hungry pit, summon monster IX, black tentacles, confusion, plane shift (to some horrible destination such as Positive Energy Plane). I'm sure there's lots more ideas!
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen I present you the Statue of Discord... If enough Discord is presented a... Whatever the hell Discord is pops in on you and ruins your entire week
    So that's the discord that everyone keeps referencing.

's a shame that I just don't get the whole pony craze.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    's a shame that I just don't get the whole pony craze.
    To get it, you simply have to start watching the first few episodes of the first season. The world they inhabit is very, very... gygaxian. Seriously, Equestria could totally be placed in Greyhawk without any major changes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    To get it, you simply have to start watching the first few episodes of the first season. The world they inhabit is very, very... gygaxian. Seriously, Equestria could totally be placed in Greyhawk without any major changes.
    I actually did watch the first couple of episodes (yay netflix). I just ain't feelin' it. *shrug*

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

What's stopping the dragon from just keeping the super-bomb? You know, to use as a...well...super-bomb.

Green dragons are natural/compulsive schemers, if memory serves; most of their fluff is geared toward selling out their co-conspirators so they can later manipulate their allies into opposing another rival, whom the dragon may or may not know about yet.

Once it's in the dragon's claws, there won't be much stopping said dragon from yelling out "Nya-Nya! Got your bomb! Now then, please give me your...everything.", while making rude gestures and postulating the the mothers of all parties involved had a profession serving in a house of ill repute.
    ----------
    An alternate artifact, still involving dragons, would be one that summons/teleports/calls/creates an enraged dragon whose size/age/summon duration increases with each use.

This will let them indulge their curiosity without killing them outright; if they DO end up fighting a Wyrm it is only their fault they couldn't figure out the rather simple pattern of: Open box->Dragon appears->open again->bigger dragon appears.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2012-10-08 at 02:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doxkid View Post
    An alternate artifact, still involving dragons, would be one that summons/teleports/calls/creates an enraged dragon whose size/age/summon duration increases with each use.

This will let them indulge their curiosity without killing them outright; if they DO end up fighting a Wyrm it is only their fault they couldn't figure out the rather simple pattern of: Open box->Dragon appears->open again->bigger dragon appears.
    This is full of much win. Bonus points if you can somehow make it even more matryoshka-like.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Scroll of Apocalypse from the Sky and some random artefact ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Scroll of Apocalypse from the Sky and some random artefact ?
    Angel Tear AND a Scroll of Apocalypse from the Sky. Tell your lucky caster to go hide underground and cast the spell so that they can summon the great Atropus to feast upon this world and regain a portion of it's rightful Divine power

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Angel Tear AND a Scroll of Apocalypse from the Sky. Tell your lucky caster to go hide underground and cast the spell so that they can summon the great Atropus to feast upon this world and regain a portion of it's rightful Divine power
    This is less "blows up a band of jumped-up thugs" and more "foolishly destroys the entire world for no particular reason".

Not perhaps the best idea to throw on a level 4 party? (Although honestly throwing artifacts at them at all, however indirectly, seems a bit heavy-handed too.)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

*Lets assume the Chest is an awakened chest with +37 to UMD
    Let's name it "The Luggage" and be done with it.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-10-08 at 06:41 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Suggestions?
    Minions. Trick a bunch of adventurers into opening the box while the dragon waits patiently to nuke them from orbit.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Would anyone happen to have a link to a place where it vividly describes the behavior of all colors and types of dragons?

Also a scroll of apocalypse from the sky is just silly.