New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Man

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Plastic Man

I actually like Plastic Man. He's more of a comic relief superhero than a serious superhero. I seen him in cartoons. My favourite episode in the Justice League Action that he took down Brainiac ship. I love that guy so much. He makes me laugh.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Plastic Man

He had a cartoon in the 80's that I remember enjoying quite a bit.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    He had a cartoon in the 80's that I remember enjoying quite a bit.
    I remember that. Nostalgia at it's finest.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is his superpower he won't biodegrade for 10,000 years and if you recycle him in Michigan he's worth 10 cents instead of 5?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    Is his superpower he won't biodegrade for 10,000 years and if you recycle him in Michigan he's worth 10 cents instead of 5?
    Ha. Good one.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Technically, yes. There was a Justice League story where he somehow ended up 3000 years in the past and trapped at the bottom of the ocean. They just find him in the present and he is more or less fine.
    Two by two, hands of blue.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hands_Of_Blue View Post
    Technically, yes. There was a Justice League story where he somehow ended up 3000 years in the past and trapped at the bottom of the ocean. They just find him in the present and he is more or less fine.
    Then they recycled him?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Then they recycled him?
    He was torn into bits, then they reconstituted him. So, technically.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In the Injustice universe he's actually described (by Barbara Gordon/Batgirl no less) as one of the most powerful people on the planet. He also

Spoiler
    Show
    breaks into the most secure prison set up by Superman/League of Justice and successfully busts out ALL the prisoners being held there (except those killed in the escape attempt).
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Isn't he kind of DC's Deadpool? (I don't mean aesthetic and powerset - that's Deathstroke - I mean the concept of "indestructible joke character that the other heroes tolerate moreso than proactively seek to work with.")
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Isn't he kind of DC's Deadpool? (I don't mean aesthetic and powerset - that's Deathstroke - I mean the concept of "indestructible joke character that the other heroes tolerate moreso than proactively seek to work with.")
    If it weren't for the "indescructible" part I would say that's Booster Gold.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    He's nothing like Deadpool. Plastic Man doesn't curse like Deadpool.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    He's nothing like Deadpool. Plastic Man doesn't curse like Deadpool.
    Is cursing the only requirement to be like Deadpool?

Psyren listed the similarities. Deadpool is an indestructible joke character that the other heroes tolerate moreso than proactively seek to work with. Plastic Man is an indestructible joke character that the other heroes tolerate moreso than proactively seek to work with. That seems pretty similar to me.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-10 at 10:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

Psyren listed the similarities. Deadpool is an indestructible joke character that the other heroes tolerate moreso than proactively seek to work with. Plastic Man is an indestructible joke character that the other heroes tolerate moreso than proactively seek to work with. That seems pretty similar to me.
    Yes. Deadpool is not a clean character.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes. Deadpool is not a clean character.
    But that's not the role he fills. Deadpool isn't "the one who curses." He does curse, yes, but that's not what he's there for, any more than Professor X being there as the bald one, or Hulk being the green one. It's an aspect of their character that adds flavour, not their defining role.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    But that's not the role he fills. Deadpool isn't "the one who curses." He does curse, yes, but that's not what he's there for, any more than Professor X being there as the bald one, or Hulk being the green one. It's an aspect of their character that adds flavour, not their defining role.
    I know that.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

I know that.
    So do you agree that plastic man, aside from cursing, does a lot of the same things that deadpool does, and fills a similar narrative role? Because right now it seems like the only reason you think plasticman is NOT like deadpool is the lack of profanity.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    So do you agree that plastic man, aside from cursing, does a lot of the same things that deadpool does, and fills a similar narrative role? Because right now it seems like the only reason you think plasticman is NOT like deadpool is the lack of profanity.
    Similar yes. But don't forget Plastic Man is a hero while Deadpool is an anti-hero.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Similar yes. But don't forget Plastic Man is a hero while Deadpool is an anti-hero.
    Well Deadpool outside of the recent films was never known for cursing. Most of his jokes were clean. There were very few times he was actually even hinted at as using blue humor.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Well Deadpool outside of the recent films was never known for cursing. Most of his jokes were clean. There were very few times he was actually even hinted at as using blue humor.
    Blue humor. What's that?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Blue humor. What's that?
    Dirty jokes.

Also as for Plasticman's similarities to Deadpool... I'm totally tipping my hand to my ignorance of the character, but is Plasticman aware that he's comic book character? Because Deadpool is and for me a big part of why the character is funny is that he seems aware that he's fictional and is actually OK with that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Dirty jokes.

Also as for Plasticman's similarities to Deadpool... I'm totally tipping my hand to my ignorance of the character, but is Plasticman aware that he's comic book character? Because Deadpool is and for me a big part of why the character is funny is that he seems aware that he's fictional and is actually OK with that.
    I don't know if Plastic Man knows who he is. Plastic Man have a short term memory problem if I recall.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if Plastic Man knows who he is. Plastic Man have a short term memory problem if I recall.
    No Plastic Man isn't a 4th wall breaking character. Though it's possible somone has used him in that way in an obscure title. DC's 4th wall comedian is Ambush Bug.

Plastic Man's whole thing is that he's a reformed petty criminal with a sense of humor and who's incredibly dangerous though doesn't really utilize his powers to that degree. He's a bit crass, and silly, but not foulmouthed or cruel.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2019-10-10 at 09:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

They really have nothing in common and don't serve the same purpose.

Deadpool is a violently comedic person with a heart of gold, that happens to kill a hell of a lot of people.

Plastic man is a reformed crook who never ever kills, and is a goofball people enjoy being around... When he's not pulling pranks that go too far.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

No Plastic Man isn't a 4th wall breaking character. Though it's possible somone has used him in that way in an obscure title. DC's 4th wall comedian is Ambush Bug.

Plastic Man's whole thing is that he's a reformed petty criminal with a sense of humor and who's incredibly dangerous though doesn't really utilize his powers to that degree. He's a bit crass, and silly, but not foulmouthed or cruel.
    Cool. I knew that Plastic Man was silly. He acts like a Saturday Morning Cartoon Character.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does the discussion about Deadpool cursing remind anyone else of that episode of The Fairly Oddparents with all the reboots of the Crimson Chin "Only 1980's Crimson Chin can swear" "Yeah, and I got cancelled for it"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

27. - Top - End - #27

Deadpool is a violently comedic person with a heart of gold, that happens to kill a hell of a lot of people.

Plastic man is a reformed crook who never ever kills, and is a goofball people enjoy being around... When he's not pulling pranks that go too far.
    Eh, I know nothing of Plasticman and actively dislike Deadpool, so I'm just going off what people are saying.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mildly interesting side-note- originally, Plastic Man was the sane guy in a loopy world (in his own comics). The looniness came with him to the greater DCU, but since he was pretty much the only thing that stuck around from his book, he ended up as the zany one.

And yeah, he eventually became incredibly powerful, mostly due to his near-total immortality and indestructability mixed with near-limitless shapeshifting.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Plastic Man is the greatest of the stretchy bois. Dibney and Richards can suck it.

In all seriousness Baker's run was one of my first comics ever and is still my gold standard for what a comic should be. It has humor, emotional depth, and a good arc. Plastic Man is able to do ridiculous crap and save the world and do whatever and is clever enough to outsmart most enemies. But his weakness is the supporting cast he cares about and how they interact with the world is the real emotional depth. The fact that so many other comics don't measure up is basically why I'm not in the scene anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Spamalot in the Playground

Violence/swearing/mercenary tendencies aside (that would be Lobo), I still see plenty in common.

Comedy characters? Check.
    Functionally immortal so you can't stop them running their mouths? Check.
    "Reformed" criminals? Check.
    Piss off heroes and villains equally? Check.

I agree he shouldn't go around breaking the 4th wall, that would be too on the nose. But come on, DC's got a dude with no powers who dresses up like a bat and one who talks to fish; there's plenty of material in-universe, and I haven't even gotten to Kite Man yet.

I'm not the only one to see the parallels either.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)