New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #4021
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

mookie's deserved to die before, but this is the first time I've wanted to do it myself...

2. - Top - End - #4022
    Bugbear in the Playground

Naked men have no nipples or hair below the neck.
    a secret to everybody.

3. - Top - End - #4023
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    Or navels.

So, are animu characters some other species than human, then?

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

4. - Top - End - #4024

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Or navels.
    What is a navel but an inverted nipple?

I paid so much attention during Biology class.
    a secret to everybody.

5. - Top - End - #4025
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair, it's still a lot more appealing than furry balloon boobs.

It's not a case study in anatomy, it's a girl's imagination.

My biggest problem with today's strip is not that it's bad art, since I don't know I could do better if I sat down and tried. It's that we're seeing the same problem with characters and relationships that we've seen since friggin' a million years ago in Mookie's writing. Characters obviously being written for one another, and not even trying to hide it from the readers.

The first time, with Dominic and Luna, it was actually kind of charming. Then it happened to every other character ever.

The reader should always be asking, "What's happening next?", never "When is X going to happen?"... unless the tension comes from the "Will they or won't they" aspect.

EDIT: Also, howcum there's always got to be relationships?
    Last edited by Jerthanis; 2007-12-09 at 05:38 AM.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

6. - Top - End - #4026
    Titan in the Playground

Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

Congratulations on a job well done.

If this doesn't win the thread outright, it's definitely a strong contender.
    I so very much agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    The reader should always be asking, "What's happening next?", never "When is X going to happen?"... unless the tension comes from the "Will they or won't they" aspect.
    This is not better either, because this is Mookie's wish fulfillment comic. Hence, "Will they or won't they" is reduced to "When is X going to happen?" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    EDIT: Also, howcum there's always got to be relationships?
    See above.

Also, as we all know, breaking a relationship is a worse crime than murder, and all First Caste members are in happy, blessed relationships. See a pattern?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

7. - Top - End - #4027
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I know there is some link in TVtropes that have this issue. Something quite different than Author Breakdown, though.
    Last edited by Arakune; 2007-12-09 at 09:39 AM.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

8. - Top - End - #4028
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    I know there is some link in TVtropes that have this issue. Something quite different than Author Breakdown, though.
    Being a webcomic artist, Mookie has Protection From Editors.

EDIT:

This leads, of course to the Author Appeals like Inappropriate Ass Shots, Emotionally Damaged Love Interests, and other fetishes
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2007-12-09 at 10:02 AM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

9. - Top - End - #4029
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Being a webcomic artist, Mookie has Protection From Editors.

EDIT:

This leads, of course to the Author Appeals like Inappropriate Ass Shots, Emotionally Damaged Love Interests, and other fetishes
    I hate you by making me read this!

Spoiler
    Show

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

10. - Top - End - #4030
    Ettin in the Playground

You see, this is why villians like Jacob, Celesto, and Tim are the more popular characters in the comic. They aren't railroaded into cliche relationships. Well, Celesto was, but Ilario took care of that. Come to think of it, I think Scarletti's single as well... and Szark... and Stunt... Ilario... Rachel... Dex...

And now, of course, those three pairs are going to get hooked up before 2009.

11. - Top - End - #4031
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So, are animu characters some other species than human, then?
    You have not come to appreciate the reproductive cycle of the animu.

While ersatz 'female' characters will occasionally make references to having been pregnant, and they have the requisite oversized mammaries to infer they are equipped to deal with squalling offspring, they are, in truth, infertile. This is how they can do the horizontal tango with ersatz 'male' characters without the risk of true pregnancy.

The truth is, animu characters are, in actuality, genetically engineered proto-humans that are implanted in the 'female' after in-vitro fertilization has occurred. This is why 'male' characters lack nipples - as an evolutionary throwback, the nipples were removed from the genetic code. In addition, as they are insensitive to cold, they do not need hair on any part of the body save the head; the hair on their head exists primarily to distinguish one character from another due to their close genetic relationship.

Side-effects from overuse of a specific genetic code may include: abnormally large eyes (primarily in the females), lack of genitalia, excessively watery eyes, the inability to feel pain from falling on their face, frequent nosebleeds, double (sometimes multiple) joints and a spine that can bend in any direction.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2007-12-09 at 12:14 PM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

12. - Top - End - #4032
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know, now I understand what really gets on my nerves about this strip. Because... in principle, it's actually kind of cute that Cassafinn is imagining Reinholdt naked. I can deal with that. It might even be funny. The problem is, that image? It's weird. If you're going to imagine a guy naked, why would you imagine him with that kind of oblivious angelic smile with his eyes closed, facing sort of away, like he's not even aware you're there?

That face has its uses. It's one of the stock bishounen expressions, and its precise significance is to demonstrate that the object of fangirl lust is absent, unreachably far away, put on a pedestal as a romantic ideal. It makes no sense if the guy you like is right there in front of you and you're hitting on him while imagining what he looks naked. Open eyes would make more sense. Hell, not showing the face at all would make even more sense, and be funnier to boot. Seriously, girl, if you're gonna imagine a guy naked, do it right. This half-romantic, half-naughty crap is just weird.

Moral of the story? This just demonstrates that on top of everything else, Mookie doesn't even understand anime expressions and cliches. Le Mookie, nul points!

13. - Top - End - #4033
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
    Moral of the story? This just demonstrates that on top of everything else, Mookie doesn't even understand anime expressions and cliches. Le Mookie, nul points!
    Actually, the moral of any story involving this comic and Mookie is "oh my god, why the hell am I reading this?"

I don't need to know about some one dimensional student's sex fantasies. >.<

And weren't we just shown something about Siggy coming in and killing people and then about to go carry out the evil plan? Or how about learning of the slaughter that Dominic "meh'd" over? Possibly learning about WHY the royal knights were disbanded?
    ...why are we having a random "We're hooking up yay!" story thrown in here when he has so many more serious things to attempt and fail at?

14. - Top - End - #4034
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    I don't need to know about some one dimensional student's sex fantasies. >.<
    Ah, but Cassafinn is not a mere student! She's Luna's coworker, an elemental alchemist, and was one of the 'good' candidates to take over Miranda's job as Headmistress. With pillow boobs.

But, yes, she's one-dimensional, shallower than a kiddy wading pool, and has all the heat of a baby's bottle.

And weren't we just shown something about Siggy coming in and killing people and then about to go carry out the evil plan?
    His evil plan, of course, and not Karnak's. Siggy is acting on his own, and Karnak has him on a short leash. So! Siggy's going to be going after TIM. Eventually. Maybe in 2009.

Or how about learning of the slaughter that Dominic "meh'd" over?
    Well, Dominic meh'd over it because... hrm. Well, I suppose that Mookie put it in to shut off yet another complaint about Dom. "Well, even if Dom can't use his SS, he STILL gets visions that tell him about plot important points that Dom Has To Know. So it's no real restriction at all."
    Now, doesn't that sound grand? "Dom didn't receive a vision about it and his bastard watch didn't go off, so it's just a random bit of violence, therefore, he doesn't care!"

Possibly learning about WHY the royal knights were disbanded?
    Of course not. Then we'd be able to laugh at Mookie for his complete and utter lack of understanding of a workable governmental structure.

...why are we having a random "We're hooking up yay!" story thrown in here when he has so many more serious things to attempt and fail at?
    Because he's still emo over the breakup thing that he wrote out in the Jayden/Milov arc.

15. - Top - End - #4035
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Well, Dominic meh'd over it because... hrm. Well, I suppose that Mookie put it in to shut off yet another complaint about Dom. "Well, even if Dom can't use his SS, he STILL gets visions that tell him about plot important points that Dom Has To Know. So it's no real restriction at all."
    Now, doesn't that sound grand? "Dom didn't receive a vision about it and his bastard watch didn't go off, so it's just a random bit of violence, therefore, he doesn't care!"
    Technically, it's just there to show that Tim is invisible to Dominic's ability to scry. This makes him a Serious Villian, since immunity to scrying indicates that he is a strange and unknowable monster. Heck, it's not something you can buy in convenient crystal form. Or tattoo onto your forehead.

...Of course, what I want to know is why random slaughter makes the headlines while the disbanding of the entire standing army is somewhere on page B-27. In real life, they'd be together: "Criminal Celebrates Disbanding of Army with Massive Killing Spree!" (note that, in Callan, the army is apparently also the federal police force. Yes, I used the word "federal."). Or possibly an interesting segue in the news: "And speaking of our national defense being completely dissolved..."

Mind if I sig that, Winterwind? It represents everything I aspire to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

16. - Top - End - #4036
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Technically, it's just there to show that Tim is invisible to Dominic's ability to scry. This makes him a Serious Villian, since immunity to scrying indicates that he is a strange and unknowable monster. Heck, it's not something you can buy in convenient crystal form. Or tattoo onto your forehead.
    Aw, but that version actually makes Mookie seem like he knows what he's DOING. Spoilsport.

...Of course, what I want to know is why random slaughter makes the headlines while the disbanding of the entire standing army is somewhere on page B-27. In real life, they'd be together: "Criminal Celebrates Disbanding of Army with Massive Killing Spree!" (note that, in Callan, the army is apparently also the federal police force. Yes, I used the word "federal."). Or possibly an interesting segue in the news: "And speaking of our national defense being completely dissolved..."
    Put that way just for the lulz when Luna tells him to relax, he turns the page... oops, not relaxed!

17. - Top - End - #4037
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, I just had a vision about Mookie inventing a nightly "ethercast" news show. Any more Magitek in this Anachronism Stew and I might lose it.

Heaven help us if he adds magic trains.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

18. - Top - End - #4038

So these are the lighthearted strips? Teenage romance..........

Romance in general has been done to......I'm not even sure if its atoms are still there. Almost every single story in existence has a Romantic plot. Most Romantic plots are filled with cliche's and predictability. I don't know if it's appealing to a multiple demographic or if there is some kind of unwritten rule but, it's blindly running rampantly through a crowd of people. Might someone care to explain this phenomenon?
    Last edited by Raroy; 2007-12-09 at 06:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #4039
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raroy View Post
    So these are the lighthearted strips? Teenage romance..........

Romance in general has been done to......I'm not even sure if its atoms are still there. Almost every single story in existence has a Romantic plot. Most Romantic plots are filled with cliche's and predictability. I don't know if it's appealing to a multiple demographic or if there is some kind of unwritten rule but, it's all over the place. Might someone care to explain this phenomenon?
    All stories contain some amount of conflict; that's what makes them entertaining. Romance is a source of conflict as old as time. It isn't something to avoid.

20. - Top - End - #4040
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    Romance is a source of conflict as old as time.
    Except when it's done by Mookie, of course. The only romance he's done right was Dominic/Luna relationship before the end of Storm of Souls arc.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #4041

All stories contain some amount of conflict; that's what makes them entertaining. Romance is a source of conflict as old as time. It isn't something to avoid.
    It also isn't a necessity. Eh, it just might be a naive ideology that love is all around us and that the world is truly beautiful.

22. - Top - End - #4042
    Titan in the Playground

I'd like to see some other classic conflicts in DD though. Personally, I'd like Man vs. Nature... though whenever I think about that conflict, it's always Chuck Norris fighting a bear.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

23. - Top - End - #4043
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raroy View Post
    It also isn't a necessity. Eh, it just might be a naive ideology that love is all around us and that the world is truly beautiful.
    Honestly, most stories use what I call "sometimes plots". Most of the time, successful romantic relationships involve people meeting, liking each other, maybe having a few fights, but they work at it and end up sticking together. However, sometimes, it isn't that easy, and romance involves love triangles, ex-boyfriends, and missing family members. Writers create stories about the relationships that don't usually happen because, honestly, how much fun would it be if stories were exactly like real life?

24. - Top - End - #4044

Fine I'll leave Romance alone.
    Last edited by Raroy; 2007-12-09 at 07:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #4045
    Titan in the Playground

That's because the disbandment of the entire army is something from the boring area of politics. Politics are evil and boring, nothing more. Nobody is interested in politics. All the cool kids know that. Why would anyone who is cool want to read something from the politics section? It's evil and boring!

Or, at least, Mookie thinks so.

Mind if I sig that, Winterwind? It represents everything I aspire to.
    Sure, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Aw, but that version actually makes Mookie seem like he knows what he's DOING. Spoilsport.
    Except it doesn't, because we already know that TIM is not immune to Dominic's scrying powers - not only did Dominic have a vision of TIM when the latter returned to this dimension, he also created this crystal ball as alarm system. Speaking of which, why didn't it flash when TIM slaughtered this temple? Or wasn't it TIM who caused this massacre after all?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

26. - Top - End - #4046
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

On the contrary. One might argue that fighting (physically, that is) is a source of conflict even older, or at least more noteworthy, yet many stories do without it. However, it seems like every story has some form of romance, often shoehorned in simply because one of the leads is male, and one of the other leads (or even a member of the supporting cast) is female, and for really no better reasons. I think it would be refreshing to see any fictional male/female interaction that didn't end in romance.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

27. - Top - End - #4047
    Ogre in the Playground

He does have hair on his body!

See all those little lines that couldn't possibly be shading?

That's fur, he's a werewolf. His Winter coat is only just starting to grow, so it's not as bushy as ol' Cassy likes it.

It explains EVERYTHING.
    Last edited by Khosan; 2007-12-10 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Tired typos ftl

28. - Top - End - #4048

Yes, Mr. Terraciano.

This totally makes up for yesterday's comic.
    a secret to everybody.

29. - Top - End - #4049
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, Mr. Terraciano.

This totally makes up for yesterday's comic.
    I swear I checked Dominic Deegan a half hour ago and saw no new comic... do you reload the page constantly past midnight until it shows or what?
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

30. - Top - End - #4050
    Titan in the Playground

I like the colours on this one. They look pretty.

Of course, I first thought Reinholdt was sitting at the coast and looking at the sun setting over the ocean... until I realised it was not an ocean, but the Maltak plain.

But meh... after trees looking like mountains, why not a plain looking like an ocean?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll