New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: To Boldly Flee

1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: To Boldly Flee

Quote Originally Posted by Leliel View Post
    Radical Edward, the ditzy, hyperactive child genius engineer hacker, that is.

She's (no, don't ask me why she has a male name, it's too long to explain) one of the more popular characters from Cowboy Bebop, due to a combination of being adorable and hilarious.
    This is one of the few anime's I've seen. And I still did not get the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    I assume Todd and NChick get together because they are dating IRL, and Nash will probably show up because he and JO are dating IRL. CA is kind of a cesspool of internet personalities, isn't it?
    If you start dating in a cesspool something is wrong with you
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2012-08-31 at 06:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Just watched the third.

I have to say I am flabbergasted that anyone in a decision-making position with regards to these films could decide that the N-Chick love triangle was anything but an egregious waste of their viewers' time. I find the whole thing to be shockingly self-indulgent and self-absorbed, as well as completely devoid of any kind of value. It would be slightly less horrible if these people were not actually in a relationship outside of the video, but knowing this... just, ugh. PDA taken to a wholly nauseating new level, I guess.

In the more neutral ground, the overlaying of JO's character with Spoony's various characters gives us a nice illustration of the difference between enjoyable overacting (Spoony) and annoying/repelling overacting (JO).

On the positive side, I find the villains' sequences hilarious, Snob, Sage, Luke, Wario, Mickey and the others in their sequences are very good, and the story itself is quite entertaining. Favorite line of the ep: "He's dead to me... as are you."

I'm going to hope that N-Chick going cyborg effectively puts an end to that whole... thing... and remain optimistic for the coming parts.
    Last edited by Harr; 2012-09-01 at 10:52 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

you know as much as I like JO.She is just bad here makes me sad
    Actors we are people pretending to be people

Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing Aran Avatar

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know what's worse about JO Ed - the writing or the acting. Neither is much like JO or Ed, and since both her and Doug have seen Cowboy Bebop I must ask what the hell happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Harr View Post
    I have to say I am flabbergasted that anyone in a decision-making position with regards to these films could decide that the N-Chick love triangle was anything but an egregious waste of their viewers' time.
    It's much better in Lindsay's, Todd's and Lupa's videos where it's played for uncomfortable humour. Here it's treated way more seriously and just falls flat on its face. Which seems to be the problem with most of the bad parts of this crossover in general.

Still pretty good overall, though. Spoony's still the best part of the show, but others had funny lines too. But still not as good as Kickassia.

On a sidenote, since people are talking about dating: the worst thing an internet reviewer can do is keep their SO onscreen, as an actual part of their videos - it's a guarantee that the relationship won't last. Look what happened with Linkara and Iron Liz, Brad and Jillian, and especially Spoony and Scarlett. Doug, on the other hand, seems to be doing fine in his personal life - because his SO doesn't participate in his videos. We don't even know how she looks like.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2012-09-01 at 05:04 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wait, what happened with Linkara and Iron Liz?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    Who knows, and who cares?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tengu_Temp apparently knows, and if just out of curiosity, I cares.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

Daemon

Dougs wife was in Ask that Guy. But only as the voice of the GPS he marries.

Picture from his facebook

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Tengu_Temp apparently knows, and if just out of curiosity, I cares.
    Yeah, that was rude of me. I just don't understand the interest in random folks on the internets personal lives.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    On a sidenote, since people are talking about dating: the worst thing an internet reviewer can do is keep their SO onscreen, as an actual part of their videos - it's a guarantee that the relationship won't last. Look what happened with Linkara and Iron Liz, Brad and Jillian, and especially Spoony and Scarlett. Doug, on the other hand, seems to be doing fine in his personal life - because his SO doesn't participate in his videos. We don't even know how she looks like.
    I don't recall Spoony including Scarlett in any of his videos. He talked about her in his Vlogs from time to time, but I never saw her on-screen in anything he did.

Hadn't heard anything had happened between Linkara and Liz or Brad and Jillian either, though I suppose I wouldn't in the latter case since I don't really follow Brad's videos much.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

They broke up and Liz moved out to live on her own. At least they still remain on good terms. I don't know about any more details than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Yeah, that was rude of me. I just don't understand the interest in random folks on the internets personal lives.
    It's a combination of 3 factors for me:
    1. Trying to understand the behavioural patterns here makes a pretty interesting social experiment (I don't mean that word in the troll way here).
    2. If you like a reviewer, you'd like to know that they're doing well, feel bad for them if something bad happens to them and facepalm when they do something stupid.
    3. I check their webpages and twitters to see when they put up new videos, and they often put such personal news all over there so you read it whether you want it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I don't recall Spoony including Scarlett in any of his videos. He talked about her in his Vlogs from time to time, but I never saw her on-screen in anything he did.
    She appeared in some crossovers (crossover vlogs mostly, but still) and Q&A panels, her photos were readily available and she was a pretty big name in Spoony's fandom. Enough to count as on-screen even if she technically wasn't in any of the videos.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Part 4 is up.

Yeah, still pretty much hovering in that same area for me. Reasonable number of jokes working and thus keeping me entertained, but a number of parts I could do without too (everything involving Phelous, for instance). And I'd say they drug out the Critic's inability to transport back to the ship for too long.

Also, needs more Angry Joe. I'm not even a big fan of Joe's actual videos (we have very different taste in video games), but he's always been quite funny in the anniversary crossovers, but he's barely been in this one so far, and we're a good hour and a half into it now.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

This episode was okay, but I wasn't too keen on the combat scene. Seeing Critic just run around and shoot mooks left and right with rare jokes from time to time just felt weird and out of place with the usual silly tone.

Spoiler
    Show
    The mysterious helper was cool, though. Something tells me it's Kyle, and Kyle is awesome.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

On a sidenote, since people are talking about dating: the worst thing an internet reviewer can do is keep their SO onscreen, as an actual part of their videos - it's a guarantee that the relationship won't last. Look what happened with Linkara and Iron Liz, Brad and Jillian, and especially Spoony and Scarlett.
    You've covered Linkara/Liz, but what's this about Brad and Jillian?

Doug, on the other hand, seems to be doing fine in his personal life - because his SO doesn't participate in his videos. We don't even know how she looks like.
    Even though correlation does not imply causation, you haven't actually demonstrated a correlation considering you left out the fact that (as far as I know) JesuOtaku and Nash are still in a relationship, as is Todd and Lindsey, two examples you completely left out.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-09-01 at 11:10 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Brad and Jillian used to be married until recently, but they divorced in circumstances that remain a mystery for me. I know that they still remain friends, though.

I don't know much about JO and Nash because I only watch the former sometimes and the latter pretty much never (I don't know how good or bad he is, I don't even know what he reviews), just that they're in a relationship - the exception from the rule, possibly? Or the fact that if both of them already start as reviewers then they can bond over a common hobby and the relationship is more stable? Or maybe my hypothesis is flawed due to sample bias?

As for Lindsay and Todd, I didn't even realize they're serious about it until this discussion thread. It's obvious their relationship is still young, and time will show if it's going to last or not. Hopefully it will.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Or maybe my hypothesis is flawed due to sample bias?
    Well I think the inescapable problem with your assertion is the fact that if they were quiet about their relationship with their significant other...you'd have no idea if it did end because you never knew it existed. This can easily skew the sample because there's a lot of evidence you can't get unless you actually asked them about it directly.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-09-02 at 12:31 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Part3 was pretty good, funny jokes, good pace with the plot and Spoony and NC have good chemistry together.

I didn´t really like part4, too much reliance on slapstick humor and very much too drawn out the only good thing to me was the banter between Spoony and NC.

18. - Top - End - #108

ClericGuy

Not actively bad or offensive in part4. Just......not great.

Really some of the jokes work, especially the banter between Zod and Turl. Doug and Noah as I said always work well together. They have excellent comedic chemistry and both are decent enough actors. Their scenes were genuinely funny. A few of the other little gags worked as well. But too often they were over extended (Phelous stabbings) or just not too funny.

Most especially the long fight/action scene. I still do not think that the CA guys do this well. It was better than a lot of the fight scenes in SK, or the "action" in Kickassia was. But overall I could not be interested in it. Too much running and shooting without the skills to really pull it off.

Lowest video in quality for me so far. But still fairly amusing.
    If I cared about this, I would probably do something about it.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I actually liked 4 more than 3 surprisingly enough

I agree the whole 'running in the grass' thing went on for too long. Phelous stabbings, also too long (that type of meta "running a thing into the ground until every ounce of funny is destroyed" thing is kind of a trademark of Phelous though, so could be it was on purpose.)

And yeah JO continues to irritate, unfortunately. She's just selling her part way too hard... the potential to land in that "adorable anime" zone is there, she's just overshooting it, imo.

Other than that though, the whole Turl/Zod thing went from good to brilliant, Joe was freaking awesome in what small part he had, Marzgurl is very good and I agree there needs to be a lot more of both of them, as well as of Cinema Snob.

Favorite line for me this ep was the whole wrong Shakespeare thing, especially "To sleep, perchance to cream, aye, there's the tub" (at least that's what I got out of it!) I don't know why but I lost it right there, maybe because it can ALMOST make sense but then it doesn't

As to why these guys are featuring their small talent over their non-Doug/Spoony heavyweights one can imagine that they want to deliberately make efforts to build their new people up as much as possible, while they figure that the "big" names don't need it as much. I disagree with this though; it ends up feeling forced, and reviewers should get bigger because they get better, not because they get a leg up in big events.

Then again, I I've never run an internet video channel... I'm just enjoying this last run of TGWTG Anniversary vids as much as I can before it ends. (And I do consider critiquing and pointing out what hit and what missed, and to what degrees, to be very much part of that fun.)

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

And yeah JO continues to irritate, unfortunately. She's just selling her part way too hard... the potential to land in that "adorable anime" zone is there, she's just overshooting it, imo.
    Honestly, I don't have an opinion of JO's character at this point. I've never seen the show it's referencing, so part of it is surely lost on me, but even so, it just gets no reaction out of me. I can see what they're going for - kind of a non-evil but very hyperactive and childish Doctor Insano sort of thing, which I could see being fun - but for whatever reason, it's neither working for me nor bothering me to any degree. It's just sort of there.

Zevox

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Honestly, I don't have an opinion of JO's character at this point. I've never seen the show it's referencing, so part of it is surely lost on me
    Actually Cowboy Bebop is quite good, I would recommend it. It's pretty unique for an anime. You obviously like both MLP and Last Airbender (smashing avatar btw) so there's a chance you might enjoy it

Edit: If you've ever seen Firefly, it has a bit in common with that series. Except, you know. Anime.
    Last edited by Harr; 2012-09-02 at 07:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Actually Cowboy Bebop is quite good, I would recommend it. It's pretty unique for an anime. You obviously like both MLP and Last Airbender (smashing avatar btw) so there's a chance you might enjoy it

Edit: If you've ever seen Firefly, it has a bit in common with that series. Except, you know. Anime.
    Cowboy bebop is nothing like last Airbender or MLP like at all. I mean Cowboy Bebop has drug deals and murder and stuff. MLP not so much.
    Actors we are people pretending to be people

Thanks to Kwarkpudding for the amazing Aran Avatar

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Its like the whole reviewer shtick is a giant cover for depression, breakup and madness.

It seems like only the critics with their faces and identities hidden have decent personal lives.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, I don't have an opinion of JO's character at this point. I've never seen the show it's referencing, so part of it is surely lost on me, but even so, it just gets no reaction out of me. I can see what they're going for - kind of a non-evil but very hyperactive and childish Doctor Insano sort of thing, which I could see being fun - but for whatever reason, it's neither working for me nor bothering me to any degree. It's just sort of there.

Zevox
    I'm the same for having seen Cowboy Bebop. Probably because I don't put it on a pedestal like a lot of people seem to. Its a good series but never made much of an impression on me.

In said series Radical Edward is an insane playful hacker, not the pulling out gadgets like they have JO doing but that's not important. Ed is a character with that sort of insanely over the top sugar high, like a certain pink pony. Something I'm not sure I've ever seen in live action.

Me I'm cutting her a break.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Being very much not like the original Ed is not the problem. Being really annoying is the problem.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
    Cowboy bebop is nothing like last Airbender or MLP like at all. I mean Cowboy Bebop has drug deals and murder and stuff. MLP not so much.
    Sorry, I didn't mean it as they were similar, I meant it as he/she has good taste in animated series is all. Some people don't watch animated stuff.

Edit -> Part 5 is up. Didn't enjoy this one too much.

Laugh out loud moments: The reveal of RoboTodd and the "Juno is overrated" bit. I don't know why Panda's deadpan entertains me so much, but it does.

Apart from those... pretty much had to force myself through it. Oh well.
    Last edited by Harr; 2012-09-04 at 08:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Never seen Firefly, no. I don't watch much TV in general. There's always the probability that as such I'm missing things I would enjoy, but so be it - I've got plenty to fill my free time as-is.

Anyway, part 5 is up. In my opinion, weakest part so far, easily. Way too much serious, way too few jokes, and too many of the jokes fell flat for me. I hope future parts return to the better mix of humor and story that the previous ones had.

Zevox

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Never seen Firefly, no. I don't watch much TV in general. There's always the probability that as such I'm missing things I would enjoy, but so be it - I've got plenty to fill my free time as-is.

Anyway, part 5 is up. In my opinion, weakest part so far, easily. Way too much serious, way too few jokes, and too many of the jokes fell flat for me. I hope future parts return to the better mix of humor and story that the previous ones had.

Zevox
    And in my opinion, the best yet.

I like serious, even in a comedy series, to remind us what is actually at stake here. Also, the Temptation of the Snob was really well-done, showing just how good a manipulator the Executor is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Plus, ROBOTODD! GO TEAM CYBORGS! EXCEPT NOT REALLY, BECAUSE IF YOU WIN, THAT WOULD BE A REALLY DEPRESSING ENDING!

Seriously, I'm expecting this line at some point.

Robotodd: YOU DELIBERATELY TURNED ME INTO AN UNAMBIGUOUSLY HEROIC CHARACTER. ONE WHO IS NOTED FOR FINDING LOOPHOLES IN HIS ORDERS. SOMETHING TELLS ME THEY AREN'T THE ONLY IDIOTS ON THIS SHIP. MORON.

*cue awesome asskicking*
    Last edited by Leliel; 2012-09-05 at 08:11 PM.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

I like serious, even in a comedy series, to remind us what is actually at stake here. Also, the Temptation of the Snob was really well-done, showing just how good a manipulator the Executor is.
    Me too

I'm a tough sell on comedy to start. And most of that site well... their comedy is in everyones mutual snarking at their material. When they try to do things outside that... generally doesn't measure up. And for their production values and script doing it dead straight is much funnier or at least entertaining.

And yeah that was probably my favorite scene so far. Really quite chilling in its own meta-textual way.

Contrasting roles a bit, Phelous is evidently going for laughs outright.... and easily the worst.

(Side note, I don't know if I'm just noticing now... but all the men need a lesson in make up and shaving, they all look terrible right now)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

"Temptation of the Snob" was easily the most boring part of the whole thing for me. Trying to play something like that completely straight was a terrible move in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    (Side note, I don't know if I'm just noticing now... but all the men need a lesson in make up and shaving, they all look terrible right now)
    They look fine to me. (Also, you expect men to wear makeup? Really? )

Zevox