New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default (PF) Freebooter Ranger?

So what do people think of this archetype?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core...pes/freebooter

Seems like a good replacement for Favored Enemy... a decent party buff that even holds up decently to the the Bard's performance, Inspire Courage, with no /day limits. Lack of animal companion is a significant drawback though.

Opinions? Thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: (PF) Freebooter Ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_Ruadrik View Post
    So what do people think of this archetype?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core...pes/freebooter

Seems like a good replacement for Favored Enemy... a decent party buff that even holds up decently to the the Bard's performance, Inspire Courage, with no /day limits. Lack of animal companion is a significant drawback though.

Freebooter's Bane is a VERY nice Favored Enemy alternative, but be aware, it only affects ONE creature at a time, and it takes a Move Action to choose a new target.
    That being said, the whole party can get in on the fun, and it is a typeless bonus.

Freebooter's Bond is definitely less useful than an Animal Companion. I am not saying it is a bad ability, I'd just rather have a furry little friend.

Fast Swimmer is a "meh" ability that replaces a "meh" ability.

The only complaint I have with the Archetype is:
    How is it really a "pirate" (or even a sailor at all for that matter)? The Flavor doesn't really match up with the abilities. Fast Swimmer alone is not enough to justify it.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan_Ruadrik View Post
    Awful archetype, IMHO.

Freebooter's Bane (Ex)
    Spoiler
    Show
    At 1st level, the freebooter can, as a move action, indicate an enemy in combat and rally her allies to focus on that target. The freebooter and her allies gain a +1 bonus on weapon attack and damage rolls against the target. This ability applies only to allies who can see or hear the freebooter and who are within 30 feet of the freebooter at the time she activates this ability. At 5th level and every 5 levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the bonus increases by 1. The freebooter’s bane lasts until the target dies or the freebooter selects a new target.

This ability replaces favored enemy.

You have a weaker Inspire Courage here. At higher levels the Bard could activate her performance as a swift action, here you're wasting a move action you should use to close in to the enemy if you're a melee, or full attack if you're ranged. Buffing the party isn't a Ranger's job.

Freebooter's Bond (Ex)
    Spoiler
    Show
    At 4th level, a freebooter forms a bond with her crewmates. This bond allows her to spend a move action to grant her allies extra combat prowess when they work as a team. All allies within 30 feet who can see or hear the freebooter gain an additional +2 bonus on attack rolls when flanking with the freebooter or with another ally affected by this ability.

This ability replaces hunter’s bond.

Truly bad. You're giving up a valuable asset (the animal companion) for a little bonus to flanking. And you're (still) wasting a move action, so no charge or full attack.

Fast Swimmer (Ex)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Starting at 7th level, a freebooter may swim half her speed as a move action or her normal speed as a full-round action with a successful Swim check. The freebooter gains a +2 bonus on Swim checks.

This ability replaces woodland stride.

Useful in an aquatic campaign, but that's all.

If you want an aquatic ranger, just pick an aquatic animal companion and call it a day.

Forever in debt with smuchmuch for the cyberpunk avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Freebooter's Bond (Ex)
    Spoiler
    Show
    At 4th level, a freebooter forms a bond with her crewmates. This bond allows her to spend a move action to grant her allies extra combat prowess when they work as a team. All allies within 30 feet who can see or hear the freebooter gain an additional +2 bonus on attack rolls when flanking with the freebooter or with another ally affected by this ability.

This ability replaces hunter’s bond.

Truly bad. You're giving up a valuable asset (the animal companion) for a little bonus to flanking. And you're (still) wasting a move action, so no charge or full attack.
    I agree this ability is not worth the trade, but it's not quite as bad as you think.
    Read the duration again...
    Oh, wait, there is no duration!
    Activate it first thing in the morning, and and long as everyone stays within 30ft. you're good to go all day.

As for Freebooter's Bane, it 'can' be useful in a campaign with enough enemy variety to make Favored Enemy unreliable, the bonuses are typeless, so they stack with anything else (except another Freebooter's Bane), and also unlike Favored Enemy, all of your Allies get to join in.
    It won't be worth using every combat, but if you find a particularly tough opponent, it can be WELL worth the Move Action.

If it helps, think of Freebooter's Bane as more "unlimited uses Smite" and less "Favored Enemy" or "Inspire Courage".
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2012-03-21 at 02:43 PM.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

5. - Top - End - #5

RogueGuy

Yeah, it seemed alright to me. Type less bonus, no duration, no limits per day. Yes, one enemy at a time kind of sucks, but it didn't seem like a waste of a move action. The loss of an animal companion for a move bonus to flanking does seem to be quite bad. Fast swimming, is as you said, a meh option for a meh ability.

Seems like the freebooter bane would make an interesting commander-esque character. (not necessarily even sea based) The lack of animal companion does hurt though.

6. - Top - End - #6

MonkGuy

Designating the target doesn't have a range. Telescope or scry before you even get into battle. Only restriction is he must be in combat when the designting happens. Doesnt even have to be with you. TP in a summoned critter after scry and you can designate some from however far you can get that tp/scry off accurately.

Personally though, I think the Guide's focus is cooler. Really limited times a day but you'll probably still use it more often than regular old favored enemy unless your DM specifically caters/ tells you stuff in advance.
    'Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!' - Johnson, Cave.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by marcielle View Post
    Designating the target doesn't have a range. Telescope or scry before you even get into battle. Only restriction is he must be in combat when the designting happens. Doesnt even have to be with you. TP in a summoned critter after scry and you can designate some from however far you can get that tp/scry off accurately.
    So you would spend two spells, one 5th level and one 1st level, to have some boni to attack and damage against one target? I find hardly worth it.

Forever in debt with smuchmuch for the cyberpunk avatar.

8. - Top - End - #8

MonkGuy

Well, if you are high level and preparing to face a major enemy, you would probably try scrying in anyway.

This is only viable at higher levels but then the bonus is +4/+4 to everyone... no wait. Yeah, that sorta sucks.

And this is why I'm not an optimizer.
    'Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!' - Johnson, Cave.