New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Daemon

Default The Wrong Four Words

"I, I must succeed" are the infamous four words which V said to gain ultimate arcane power. But this is not about them. In Don't Split the Party, V has said four words on occasion. Two of these four word instances are important because not only do they reflect an important moment for V, they were both said to the right person for the wrong reasons. Here we are:

Disintegrate. Gust of Wind
    These four words were said to Kubota (the right person as he was evil and needed to die). But they were said for the wrong reasons. V only blasted Kubota because Elan tied him up and because he threatened to stall the story. Elan's reaction to these four words causes V to leave OOTS in frustration.

My power...EXCEEDS yours!
    These four words were said to Xykon (the right person as V intended to kill him). However, they were said for the wrong reasons as V was not more powerful than Xykon. The words caused Xykon to react by giving the hannibal lecture about how Power equals Power. This caused V to snap out of it and use hir powers constructively (Blackwing, Guess which spell I put on this before giving it to the bird), something still done to this day (Kobold Crossbow!!!).

Is this a coincidence? Yes. But it is a very clever one.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: The Wrong Four Words

Worst case scenario (for you): someone comes in and points out that Burlew actually said that the four words were "I... I must succeed".

Best case scenario: cool, the prophecy gets fulfilled more than once.

My actual reaction: He didn't really gain power from either of the other two instances. (Well, the Kubota thing could be argued, but he specified "ultimate arcane power" and I don't think combat creativity counts as arcane power...)
    Last edited by Incom; 2011-08-20 at 06:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Incom View Post
    Worst case scenario (for you): someone comes in and points out that Burlew actually said that the four words were "I... I must succeed".
    He did acknowledge they were, right at the start:

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    "I, I must succeed" are the infamous four words which V said to gain ultimate arcane power. But this is not about them.
    I see this

In Don't Split the Party, V has said four words on occasion. Two of these four word instances are important because not only do they reflect an important moment for V, they were both said to the right person for the wrong reasons.

as more a "four words: important moments" comment.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wonder if the pattern recurs. She isn't the only character to have spoken four words at a critical juncture.

"YOU! BROKE! MY! SWORD!"
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A clever coincidence? My brain has exploded.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

For the last time....
    Wait, you are NOT suggesting a nonsensical theory about what will happen next?

And you are NOT suggesting some absurd "hidden meaning" in the strips, since you even admitted it was a coincidence?
    The forum IQ just went up.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sarco_Phage View Post
    I wonder if the pattern recurs. She isn't the only character to have spoken four words at a critical juncture.

"YOU! BROKE! MY! SWORD!"
    And, by extension "YOU! BROKE! MY! TUSK!"

Which I think was very well done after Roy saying that he and Thog were nothing alike.

It's nice someone isn't overanalysing the comic for once but was just noticing a mildly interesting coincidence. :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

"Four words: Out of fudge ripple."

another Thog-related one.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #9

It's nice to see someone saying it isn't for once, the forum IQ did just go up. Please have a cookie.

But I think a coincidence that is clever is impossible, did you mean the Giant did so on purpose?
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

But I think a coincidence that is clever is impossible, did you mean the Giant did so on purpose?
    I don't see how it's impossible. Or even unlikely.

Important events require emphatic statements. The longer a statement is, the less emphatic it's going to sound. Three, four, or five word statements are the ones that are most likely to mean something (I mean, what can you say in one word that's not "ow" or a curse word?), and because we know about "the right four words" we're all more likely to notice four word phrases.

If we carefully went through all the comics we'd likely notice lots of Very Important moments that are marked with sentences of varying lengths. And then we'd disregard them because they don't fit the mold of "four words".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    It's nice to see someone saying it isn't for once, the forum IQ did just go up. Please have a cookie.
    Thank you for your praise, if it had my name on it it might go in the siggy.

@Conuly: Absolutely correct. There is also the right three words Sneak Attack Bitch! the right four onomatopeia slash, slash, slash, slash!, the right five words talky-man broke thog's tusk! (although Thog would tell you that's four. Thog would tell you lots of things) and the right two words I'm invisible!

12. - Top - End - #12

tongue Re: The Wrong Four Words

It's nice to see someone saying it isn't for once, the forum IQ did just go up. Please have a cookie Sunken Valley.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    For the last time....
    Wait, you are NOT suggesting a nonsensical theory about what will happen next?

And you are NOT suggesting some absurd "hidden meaning" in the strips, since you even admitted it was a coincidence?
    The forum IQ just went up.
    Belkar and Thog are Chaotic Good, If I was a DM O-Chul would have fallen for not smiting Xykon* and the MitD, Miko is the Paladin I'm going to play from now on, V's alignment changed to Neutral Good thanks to Familicide.

*Try or not, he didn't succeed.

Crisis averted.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Belkar and Thog are Chaotic Good, If I was a DM O-Chul would have fallen for not smiting Xykon* and the MitD, Miko is the Paladin I'm going to play from now on, V's alignment changed to Neutral Good thanks to Familicide.

*Try or not, he didn't succeed.

Crisis averted.
    Godammit!

Oh, and you forgot, Haley caused the death of those slaves.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

"I, I must succeed" are the infamous four words which V said to gain ultimate arcane power. But this is not about them. In Don't Split the Party, V has said four words on occasion. Two of these four word instances are important because not only do they reflect an important moment for V, they were both said to the right person for the wrong reasons. Here we are:

Disintegrate. Gust of Wind
    These four words were said to Kubota (the right person as he was evil and needed to die). But they were said for the wrong reasons. V only blasted Kubota because Elan tied him up and because he threatened to stall the story. Elan's reaction to these four words causes V to leave OOTS in frustration.

These four words were said to Xykon (the right person as V intended to kill him). However, they were said for the wrong reasons as V was not more powerful than Xykon. The words caused Xykon to react by giving the hannibal lecture about how Power equals Power. This caused V to snap out of it and use hir powers constructively (Blackwing, Guess which spell I put on this before giving it to the bird), something still done to this day (Kobold Crossbow!!!).

Huh, what?

You bring up a wild theory with little grounds for it being valid, then debunk it by saying not even you the person who suggested it believes in it. Why? It'd be like making a thread point out Belkar isn't evil, naming a few token examples that don't hold up well at all, then going on to say "Never mind, he's still evil. These don't count."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Godammit!

Oh, and you forgot, Haley caused the death of those slaves.
    And Tarquin is more Lawful Good than Roy.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    And Tarquin is more Lawful Good than Roy.
    Yes, yes he is.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

I disagree. Let's derail the thread with conflicting definitions of good, evil, law and chaos.

V says four word sentences so rarely that they actually do kinda stick out. Most people's out of character moments are huge rants. V's is a concise proclamation.
    "You think you have won, do you? You are mistaken! I will not be defeated! I will destroy EVERYTHING and you BOTH will die! I hold the prophecy stone in my hands. When it breaks the DARK DRAGON will rise to destroy ALL of Silmaria. You cannot stop me. NO ONE can stop me. I AM YOUR DOOM!" - QFG V

I would be very grateful for any feedback on the homebrewed stuff I've created:
    The Warp Walker, The Glorious Berserker

19. - Top - End - #19

talky-man broke thog's tusk! (although Thog would tell you that's four. Thog would tell you lots of things)
    But that IS four words since it's hyphenated, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Huh, what?

You bring up a wild theory with little grounds for it being valid, then debunk it by saying not even you the person who suggested it believes in it. Why? It'd be like making a thread point out Belkar isn't evil, naming a few token examples that don't hold up well at all, then going on to say "Never mind, he's still evil. These don't count."
    There was never really a theory here, he was just sort of noting that it was an interesting coincidence that V's said four words that might fit the criteria (if not for the fact that we know that, "I... I must succeed" are the real four words, which he acknowledges) a few other times.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    There was never really a theory here, he was just sort of noting that it was an interesting coincidence that V's said four words that might fit the criteria (if not for the fact that we know that, "I... I must succeed" are the real four words, which he acknowledges) a few other times.
    A four word statement isn't that uncommon. I'm sure there are a ton of them throughout the comic by many characters. The fact that V said them isn't that special other than we can try and loosely interpret them as the prophecy.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

A four word statement isn't that uncommon. I'm sure there are a ton of them throughout the comic by many characters. The fact that V said them isn't that special other than we can try and loosely interpret them as the prophecy.
    Except, as some one else pointed out, V is rather verbose and thus a sentence (or successive sentences) totaling only 4 words is rather rare for V. Likewise, if we saw a huge long rant from Z in the next strip, it would stand out (if a little out of character I admit) as a defining moment for Z.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

...and the right two words I'm invisible!
    Those two words were definitely the wrong two words.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    But that IS four words since it's hyphenated, isn't it?
    In spirit at least, it's certainly four words. "[you] broke [my] tusk".
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Except, as some one else pointed out, V is rather verbose and thus a sentence (or successive sentences) totaling only 4 words is rather rare for V. Likewise, if we saw a huge long rant from Z in the next strip, it would stand out (if a little out of character I admit) as a defining moment for Z.
    But the first instance was just V saying the name of their spell like all spell casters do. And the second, V already had ultimate power as it were so how could they have gotten it twice?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    He did acknowledge they were, right at the start:
    I think he meant that someone would miss that and call him out for it anyway.

I mentioned "My power... EXCEEDS yours!" once before, before the book was over, and got called out by people frustrated with various "four words" theories (and for the record, I did recognize the actual four words, but not in that thread).

(What does it say that that is, by far, the longest thread I have ever started?)

Quote Originally Posted by Conuly View Post
    (I mean, what can you say in one word that's not "ow" or a curse word?)
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Morgan Wick; 2011-08-23 at 07:38 PM. Reason: How did I screw that up?

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wick View Post
    Even better:
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

26. - Top - End - #26

Great, you get it! Now you can join in on the fun instead of being a wet blanket
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

But the first instance was just V saying the name of their spell like all spell casters do. And the second, V already had ultimate power as it were so how could they have gotten it twice?
    The OP never claimed that what he presented was the 4 words mentioned in the prophecy. And while yes, the first example was just spell names, but in the context, it was decisive and defining of the character at that moment in the story. The point I'm making is when V is not being verbose, whether its just a succession of spells or an actual sentence, is when the essence of V's character is shown. Which the OP has kindly gathered and pointed out for us.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

These four words were said [...] for the wrong reasons as V was not more powerful than Xykon.
    Uh... that means V was wrong.
    It doesn't mean he said those words "for the wrong reason". That is not the reason.

The reason why he said them might be because V was trying boost his own morale (nothing wrong with that), or because he's a prideful guy.

29. - Top - End - #29

However, they were said for the wrong reasons as V was not more powerful than Xykon.
    But he was more powerful than Xykon in terms of RAW.
    Eternal Fighter Advocate

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If it's word spoken to the right person for the wrong reasons, you might as well list all the things V had ever said to Belkar. I'm sure some of them would make perfect groups of 4.

Also, you might want to double-check the meaning of the word "reason", because there's no wrong reason in both of your examples.
    Last edited by M.A.D; 2011-08-24 at 10:50 AM.
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"