New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Walking Dead- Season Two (Probably will be spoilers)

I dunno, but they must have a LOT of chickens.

Or perhaps they don't feed them as often, I'm not sure if that's clear...but there were a lot of walkers in there. So, feeding them a sack of chickens even once per day is a lot of chickens.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

How fast do chickens breed? Then we can calculate how many chickens they need to have so that their supply can restore itself from the zombie feeding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Killing zombie catgirls...I like it!

How many chickens were in the sack...four or five?

Well, a good rate of production is an egg a day. This is probably not sustainable constantly...so about an 80% daily ratio is probably about right. Of those, roughly half will be female, and thus, additional egg layers.

Egg laying will probably start at about the 18th week, and they'll likely stop laying in any real quantity after about two years of life.

Incubation period is about 21 days, and 10-20% losses can be expected under fairly good conditions.

So, disregarding replacement of the egg-layers, we can feed the zombies 5 chickens, once per day, with about 9 laying hens under fairly optimal conditions. Note that this would require artificial incubation as one hen only can incubate a few eggs at once, so natural incubation will boost that up to around 30 hens. In addition, a rooster or three will be needed as well, and there will be a LOT of growing birds.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

mr doctor would know that pretty much all his 'patients' in the barn would likely need major organ replacement prior to being 'fixed' or they would just wake up with failing organs and crash again.

I know a fellow who is an enbalmer. You'd be amazed how fast lungs, liver, valves in the heart, and kidney's decay after death.

Even if the zombie-ness is somehow keeping those organs working properly and rot free as a result, said organs still need to deal with a host of problems. Kidneys are going to be messed up by the sheer amounts of creatine caused by muscle death. Liver would be trashed due to necrotic tissue going through the blood stream. Immune system is likely shot because bone marrow is dead, so no immune system meaning one infection will kill someone. Lets not even mention the release/flood of adrenaline that occurs at death.

Yeah, I pity anyone that guy tries to fix if they come up with a cure that causes zombies to not be zombies anymore. Even if there is minimal to zero rot, the after effects would be brutal. In a perfect scenario (you died of the fever, started to revive as a zombie, then they hit you with the cure), odds are you'd wake up with major organ failures. You would basically need organ and tissue transplants for... everything. This is before we get into brain damage and other related issues.

At this point, I'd rather just figure that the attatchment is emotional and entirely illogical, but is representative of the power of the family bond. How that bond can and will cause people (including the survivors) to do similarly illogical things.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Right. Actually, thanks to the CDC episode, and the shutdown of most of the brain, we can quite easily assume that they are screwed. The doc may not know that much yet...but deep down, he's got to be aware that the odds are pretty long at best.

Judging from the surface damage, as well as the autopsy of the freshly killed walker, we can easily infer that preservation is less than 100% as well.

I'll buy the emotional reaction of "I can fix this", and so I'm not going to criticize him for keeping them in the barn...but his stance that killing a walker is murder is a bit harder to justify. I mean, he certainly acted as if Otis was dead, right?

6. - Top - End - #126

I just realized.
    Blood clotting.
    Oh man, you'd be so screwed if you were dead for more than a few hours.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

The guy is in complete denial. Even as a vet he knows what damage they must have taken. He knows they are gonners. I'm ready for him to go complete bat guano nuts soon.

And btw, about the walkers going in packs... you're absolutely right with that, had forgotten. They also contradict practically all behavior yet shown in the show. It was plot servicing drama like a copper piece harlot.
    Last edited by Joxer t' Mighty; 2011-11-24 at 12:41 AM.
    Helping others is a good and noble cause, but sometimes the best way you can help them is by lending them a sword and telling them to go slay their own damned dragons.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Not necessarily, zombies are attracted by sound, so if one zombie for whatever reason starts moving around and makes enough noise, others are going to follow it, make more noise, attack more, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Banned

Who hates Lori? I do! Seriously she needs to calm down & do something useful. The other mother is dealing with things a whole lot better, & her situation is worse. Also Andrea needs a stern talking to. Accidentally shooting Daryl because you feel like you can't be a survivor is stupid. She complains about not being allowed a gun but then goes & shoots Daryl in the head- real smart.

Yay for Glen though, & at least Daryl is a live & kicking a**

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    Who hates Lori? I do! Seriously she needs to calm down & do something useful. The other mother is dealing with things a whole lot better, & her situation is worse. Also Andrea needs a stern talking to. Accidentally shooting Daryl because you feel like you can't be a survivor is stupid. She complains about not being allowed a gun but then goes & shoots Daryl in the head- real smart.

Yay for Glen though, & at least Daryl is a live & kicking a**
    Yay for Glen?

I know it's heaviley hinted that he lost his virginity to that girl, but she is obviously damged. First she loses interest in him after they do the deed, but after her dad tells her to "stay away from the asian boy" she passes him a note asking where he wants to hook up next. Now she goes from screaming at him to kissing him on a flip of a coin, and he is still grining like an idiot everytime she looks at him. It may be the apocalypse, but I think Glen could do better.

Also Andrea did need more of a dressing down after the shooting, at least another episode of everyone in the group being distant from her after doing such a bonehead thing.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GenericGuy View Post
    Yay for Glen?
    Glen's situation is better than anyone else's except maybe T-Dog. Yes his love interest is a bit crazy but at least he's has a bit of happiness in the Apocalypse

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Wow... did not see that coming. Not sure if I'm with Shane or against him here, tough IRL I would probably be with him. I think the next episode (is that next week or after the holidays or something? Mid season breaks and the like confuse me) will feature either Shane and Andrea breaking away from the group or Rick hardening and Dale being the conscience of the group. They'll probably leave the farm for the sake of storytelling, but I don't know why yet, maybe Hershel'll kill himself and set the farm on fire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

That episode did my heart good. Seriously, I think Shane is a pile of steaming whatsit, but I wanted to high-five him.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey Hershell. Let me ask something. Would a living, breathing person walk away from this? *bang-bang-bang* Three rounds to the chest. Could someone alive just take this? *bang* Why is it still coming? *bang-bang* That's its heart. That's its lungs. Why is it still coming?!"

I mean, COME ON.

Half these things have their flesh rotting off their bones in a way no leper could survive. Self-delusion of that magnitude is insane. Especially when he is versed in anatomy like that.

I have to say the ending was absolutely heart rending though. I absolutely didn't expect it. Maybe was in denial myself. Still, I liked Rick coming to the fore to deal with it. Unlike Shane, he kills them out of compassion.
    Last edited by Joxer t' Mighty; 2011-11-28 at 12:26 AM.
    Helping others is a good and noble cause, but sometimes the best way you can help them is by lending them a sword and telling them to go slay their own damned dragons.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Poor Sophia. That really bummed me out.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2011-11-28 at 01:14 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

15. - Top - End - #135

Imp

I don't think anyone was shocked by the ending more than people who have read the comics.

Ho-lee crap.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    I keep on expecting Shane to die. No joke. Like three separate times in this episode. It's starting to bother me, haha. In a good way, though; I like that his character's still around, I just keep on expecting him to not be through some happenstance.

Damn this went differently from the comic. I feel like Rick is too much of a pushover; comic book Rick by this point knew what was what, and while he didn't go directly to "kill them all" like Shane did, he certainly wasn't going to be helping Hershel gather the dead up. Then again, part of the reason Rick got so tough was because Shane's betrayal made him realize just how bad the world was, and Rick in the show hasn't had that gigantic a shock yet.

I kind of assumed that Sophia had to be dead by this point. I won't say I thought of her being in the barn (I read speculation elsewhere to that effect), but I was not surprised. And now they have some more pretty good reasons to be pissed at Hershel. Damn, I can't wait til February.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't know if anyone got the significance, but I really liked how Glen asked Maggie before joining. Was just a nice touch and sweet besides.

And HOLY YELLOW EYES, I didn't realize until a moment ago that Maggie is also Bela from Supernatural.
    Last edited by Joxer t' Mighty; 2011-11-28 at 01:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

I like how they put the bite wound on the shoulder of Sophia. Its hard to see, but it's there.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Joxer t' Mighty View Post
    And HOLY YELLOW EYES, I didn't realize until a moment ago that Maggie is also Bela from Supernatural.
    Was that the girl who was the female love interest of one of the Winchesters that all the fans hated?

Oh wait. That covers every female character in Supernatural.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Was that the girl who was the female love interest of one of the Winchesters that all the fans hated?

Oh wait. That covers every female character in Supernatural.
    The obnoxious british tramp who keeps showing up to make their lives miserable. Stole the colt. Oh, wait, except the British part, it still covers every female character :P

21. - Top - End - #141
    Barbarian in the Playground

One thing thats bugging me (in a niggling sorta way) about the show is the concept of distance and travel time.
    At the begining of this series they had planned on traveling to Fort Somethingorother and said it was a trip of roughly 200 miles. Every now and then it gets mentioned again.
    They seem to be painting it as some long arduious journey, but Im thinking it should take 3-4 hours tops.

Okay there might be obstructions like abandoned car jams that slow things down or that the RV doesnt go all too fast, but not to the point where it would take longer than a day to get there.
    And would it not be prudent to send someone ahead while they hide out and see if the trip is worth making at all? They could leave in the morning and be back for supper with the answer on if its safe to go there or not.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

This, the episode in which lots of people yell at each other, was a source of some consternation to my Walking Dead watching group. Early on, we are treated to long shots of them...eating food, with highly dramatic head nodding and shaking as the form of communication. Slightly later, the writers show off how hip they are with a portal reference. Congrats guys, it's only four years old, one sequel later, and used in reference to lowering you by a rope to a zombie. No, that isn't really related at all.

Also writers, the line "How's THAT for dramatic" is, at best, a rather tired comeback to someone accusing you of say, being a drama queen. When you just drop the line without that lead-in, it looks like your forgot your self-aggrandizing post-it on the finished lines and the director just added it in because hey, nothing else has made sense so far, why should this?

Glen further cements his role as the sane one, though Maggie is quickly diving into stereotypical rebellious territory. They're setting up the split of one of them from their group, of course...but given the situation for both, they might actually swap it around and have Maggie join the main group instead of vice versa.

Rick continues to not be a leader, with effectively nobody bothering to consult him first before taking action. Dale decides to just go nuts and wander off with all the weapons while he's supposed to be on watch(also, kudos to Glen for taking being on watch at least somewhat seriously). This is pretty much the worst possible solution Dale could have come up with. Shane goes full retard. The only debate in my group was if a warning for him to not open the barn would have been appropriate before shooting him dead. As the voice of moderation, I was the sole vote for one last chance before blowing him away. Anyone willing to obviously put the party at risk just to make a point is clearly out of control and a danger to everyone around him.

Also, I can't imagine a less effective way of ending up staying at the farm. It's like a DM enforcing critical fumble rules on diplomacy checks.

Shane's Player: I rolled a one, is that bad? I mean, I know I probably should have trained this, but it didn't seem necessary on a combat char.
    DM: Oh, it's bad. You deliberately pee all over everything everyone loves.
    Shane's Player: What? But I was just trying for an assist roll! Rick's doing the main diplomacy check, he's been doing all the talking!
    DM: Also, you want to see everyone die.
    Shane's Player: I don't like this game anymore.

This show wants to be BSG so hard you can taste it, but it's not like they're actually defining the chars. You could have seriously skipped the last several episodes and missed nothing of importance. With the exception of the Glen/Maggie romance, the chars are all the same, nobody of note has died, so as long as you cover finding the farm/leaving the farm...you're pretty much good. Shane would be a TON better if they could actually stick to giving him a bit more ambiguity between being pragmatic and a generally terrible person. The latter is just painted on far too strongly. I really just want to see him die. T-Dog is still basically a cut-out of a char, with no actual development.

Carol reprised her role as "The woman who cries", and accomplishes nothing else.

Carl frequently has lines that are...strangely adult given the cast. I know he's growing up fast given the crapsack world that it is, but it's a little weird when the young kid is more adult sounding than most of the party.

But at least we are finally done with the whole missing girl storyline. And at least we finally had an action filled ending. Hopefully we can get back to actually seeing and dealing with zombies instead of endless angsting over backstories.

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I keep on expecting Shane to die. No joke. Like three separate times in this episode. It's starting to bother me, haha. In a good way, though; I like that his character's still around, I just keep on expecting him to not be through some happenstance.

Damn this went differently from the comic. I feel like Rick is too much of a pushover; comic book Rick by this point knew what was what, and while he didn't go directly to "kill them all" like Shane did, he certainly wasn't going to be helping Hershel gather the dead up. Then again, part of the reason Rick got so tough was because Shane's betrayal made him realize just how bad the world was, and Rick in the show hasn't had that gigantic a shock yet.

I kind of assumed that Sophia had to be dead by this point. I won't say I thought of her being in the barn (I read speculation elsewhere to that effect), but I was not surprised. And now they have some more pretty good reasons to be pissed at Hershel. Damn, I can't wait til February.
    Yeah, those are a lot of my complaints. Seriously, Hershel, you knew they were looking for a missing girl the entire time, and the timely arrival of an undead little girl isn't suspicious? That seems like the kind of thing you'd want to check up on.

I'm not going to bag on Rick for at least attempting to be diplomatic. Given the situation, it was a fairly reasonable approach to things. I did think they most definitely overplayed the Rick referring to them as people, though. It seemed a bit over-dramatized.

Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post
    One thing thats bugging me (in a niggling sorta way) about the show is the concept of distance and travel time.
    At the begining of this series they had planned on traveling to Fort Somethingorother and said it was a trip of roughly 200 miles. Every now and then it gets mentioned again.
    They seem to be painting it as some long arduious journey, but Im thinking it should take 3-4 hours tops.

Okay there might be obstructions like abandoned car jams that slow things down or that the RV doesnt go all too fast, but not to the point where it would take longer than a day to get there.
    And would it not be prudent to send someone ahead while they hide out and see if the trip is worth making at all? They could leave in the morning and be back for supper with the answer on if its safe to go there or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parra View Post

I've also had this problem. I live near DC. I've driven to Atlanta. It took nine hours and change. And hell, there's no traffic in this world. I'll grant that the RV is kind of a pile of junk(seriously, they should have replaced it by now) and jams are likely near cities from people trying to escape, but it definitely doesn't seem nearly as long as they're making it out to be. And yeah, they have a motorcycle. Scouting with that seems really practical.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I've been watching the show, and is it just me or they not having any trouble with running out of ammunition?
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2011-11-28 at 10:18 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    So, I've been watching the show, and is it just me or they not having any trouble with ammunition?
    Well, they've gone through a fair amount thus far. Hell, they blew through a pretty notable amount clearing the barn(there were a LOT of body shots, especially given the situation). I would expect ammo to eventually become a problem, given their pretty free use of it.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Barbarian in the Playground

Im not sure it will.
    Alot of shows deal with issues like that early on, and despite it being a very finite resource they seem to consider that aspect of the story to have been told and dont want to repeat themselves.

I hope they will or at least find another cache of ammo to restock or something. But I doubt it.
    Last edited by Parra; 2011-11-28 at 11:04 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Colossus in the Playground

There's going to be plenty of ammunition in any urban centre, and with a guy like Glen they won't have much trouble getting to it. If ammo does run dry, it'll be years down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    There's going to be plenty of ammunition in any urban centre, and with a guy like Glen they won't have much trouble getting to it. If ammo does run dry, it'll be years down the road.
    Judging from recent developments, I'd say there are even odds they will shortly not have "a guy like Glen".

They do not appear to be packing notable amounts of ammo. There's not ammo boxes strapped to the roof or anything. They're pretty shotgun heavy, and shotgun ammo is bulky. They've also done a lot of target practice, and notable ammo was apparently expended on the run on which Otis died. Notable ammo was again expended at the barn, and firing has happened on other occasions as well.

In short, given that they had a shortage of guns and ammo, they went back for the bag in season one, split that with another group...they can't really have all that much left at this point, even if we're being very optimistic on the supply they have.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

The infinite ammo thing is bothering me, they're using way to much. Plus you have the barn zombies pinned down and bottlenecked, how bout some melee please. And I don't mean those piddly little knives Carl found, a shovel/spade would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Seriously, Hershel, you knew they were looking for a missing girl the entire time, and the timely arrival of an undead little girl isn't suspicious? That seems like the kind of thing you'd want to check up on.
    Right on

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brumski View Post
    The infinite ammo thing is bothering me, they're using way to much. Plus you have the barn zombies pinned down and bottlenecked, how bout some melee please. And I don't mean those piddly little knives Carl found, a shovel/spade would be much better.
    Well, if Shane hadn't been utterly ridiculous, a much more rational way to clear the barn would have been to use the way in that Glenn used. There, you could have safely plinked them off or whatever with no danger. The whole "tossing the doors open" thing was not practical in any sense of the word.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Yeah, those are a lot of my complaints. Seriously, Hershel, you knew they were looking for a missing girl the entire time, and the timely arrival of an undead little girl isn't suspicious? That seems like the kind of thing you'd want to check up on.
    Its implied that he did not know. He said that getting the walkers out of the quicksand was Otis's job, which proabably meant Otis found her in the quick sand and put her in the barn. Then of course Shane shot him before he could learn they were looking for a little girl and tell them kindly.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28