New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: "I Saw This Movie One Time, Years Ago...."

Here's one from a friend of mine:
    The main character is in prison and forced to be in some kind of virtual game, and if he gets a certain amount of wins he'll be let out of prison. Some kid is "playing" him through a computer. It's apparently a fairly recent movie. That's all the details I have; any ideas?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Sounds like the Gerard Butler movie 'Gamer'
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2012-09-19 at 07:57 PM.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yup, that was it. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post

Then there was the guy who would come in and ask about some cartoon from Poland? Super thick accent that made his english incomprehensible at best, asking about a cartoon from I think the 1970s or 80's, you know, when that thing called The Cold War was going on and practically nothing moved in or out of that area of the world, nevermind culture like cartoons, nevermind that videotape wasn't exactly a thing back then either. And every time he would leave he would walk out swearing.

Ignorant people are funny sometimes.
    Was it about a rabbit and a wolf?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Was it about a rabbit and a wolf?
    Nope. Something to do with acorns. Or at least we think he said acorns, and he seemed to nod when we said acorns back.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Nope. Something to do with acorns. Or at least we think he said acorns, and he seemed to nod when we said acorns back.
    Too bad, my knowledge of Soviet animation starts with that and ends with Russian Winnie the Pooh, who, incidentally, is pretty bad-ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Could do with more information if you can think of any. (Was it a full blown horror film? Any of the actors familiar? etc) as I can't find anything so far.
    Well, it had either the possessed corpse or evil ghost of an old woman threatening someone with hellfire in a church, so I feel confident in saying it was at least a thriller/horror.

I google it every few years. I haven't come up with any leads yet, unfortunately. And I can't remember anyone because I was like, seven and half asleep.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Well, it had either the possessed corpse or evil ghost of an old woman threatening someone with hellfire in a church, so I feel confident in saying it was at least a thriller/horror.

I google it every few years. I haven't come up with any leads yet, unfortunately. And I can't remember anyone because I was like, seven and half asleep.
    The name that popped into my head was Demon Knight, but after a quick read-through of the synopsis, I can't find any mention of ghosts, old ladies or hellfire. There is a demon in a church with fire that I vaguely remember, though. Guess that isn't what you're looking for?
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Pfft, sounds like a recipe for hilarious comedy to me.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    I've got one that's already stumped another fantasy forum.
    When I was a kid I watched a movie with my big sister, and I still have nightmares about it.
    It's like an Outer Limits or Twilight episode, where you've got a few stories. One of them, the one I remember, has a guy move into a village with his son. What's weird about the village? Nobody plays any music. Nobody sings. There's a scene where he tries to make music with a glass, and someone breaks the glass. He pushes, and pushes, and at the end of the story the entire village is singing, and a giant cloud monster eats all of them. Then the narrator talks about respecting other peoples' beliefs.
    It could be an episode of one of those shows, it could be a movie. I don't remember anything else about it. Anyone got something?
    This is the plot of an episode of the 2001 anthology series Night Visions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AwWymP2-4w

The cloud monster shows up around the 41 minute mark.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gnoman is officially God now.
    It's funny to see familiar actors. Also funny to see that my memories are much scarier than the actual cloud monster. And the narrator is much more overdramatic... I need to take this to a bad movie night.
    My nightmares have been completely shattered, BTW.
    Last edited by pita; 2012-09-23 at 12:29 PM.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

I have been saying "How about some willing suspension of disbelief, you redneck?" when appropriate for years. I vaguely remember this coming from an episode of All That. There were hand puppets involved. Can anyone else's Google fu verify this?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A kind of fantasy movie, live-action.

In the end the hero defeats the villain.

Then the old guy who was advising the hero comes and takes a gemstone? heart? out of the villain and puts it in his own chest. The old man says something like you don't appreciate eternal life and walks away.

It was at least a decade ago so my memory is faded. It might have involved two comic relief characters becoming invisible and a talking horse.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Colossus in the Playground

Dragonheart, maybe? The heart exchange actually happens at the start, though, and it wasn't the villain's, unless you mean... and the old guy's... I dunno. Does it have a dragon in it?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

There's a sequel to Dragonheart subtitled "A New Beginning"; I've no idea how it compares but if Dragonheart itself doesn't match, check that next.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Here's one. It's a live-action film about these two guys who I think are chefs and own a restaurant or something. A big part of the film is them trying to get rid of a mouse and slapstick ensuing.

A few random scenes I can remember is there's a part where there's a cockroach in one of the food items and a guy eats part of it, and there's a part where one character gets his clothes caught in some yarn-making machine. Anyone know what this was?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Here's one. It's a live-action film about these two guys who I think are chefs and own a restaurant or something. A big part of the film is them trying to get rid of a mouse and slapstick ensuing.

A few random scenes I can remember is there's a part where there's a cockroach in one of the food items and a guy eats part of it, and there's a part where one character gets his clothes caught in some yarn-making machine. Anyone know what this was?
    Mouse Hunt?
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post

MouseHunt.

EDIT: Swordsage'd...By four minutes somehow. Could have sworn I didn't see any response.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2012-09-27 at 03:16 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, two very very vague memories from me:

One is about a cartoon (probably anime, but not entirely sure) about a team of people with outfits that had a white/yellow-red-orange colour scheme. Either the entire team or one member had a bird motif thing going. They (or again, maybe just one of them) had a weapon that consisted of a segment of a disc that would fold out to a full disc when it was thrown, it had sharp edges so they it could cut through stuff. I remember one episode being about a member of the team having died and being replaced, and the other members of the team not liking the replacement because "he/she could never replace the dead team member".

The other one is possibly even more vague, it was about a group of mechs that transformed and combined into a spaceship or a plane I think. It was being powered by moonlight or starlight or something and one episode they were running out of the stuff and couldn't keep using their mechs. The name macross is associated with this show in my head, but none of the Super Dimension Fortress Macross spinoffs (that I could find) fit, so that might just be my memory being weird.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

It is Mouse Hunt! Thanks!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, so I saw a movie a LONG time ago.

For a long time I thought it was a sequel to "A Christmas Story" because from what I can remember, the family and character dynamics are the same, just this story takes place in the summer (I think.)

The father figure takes the older son (the protagonist) fishing and I am fairly sure there is some narration over the action, similar to A Christmas Story. They both catch some fish.

Later, the younger son feels left out, so the parents suggest the younger son fish in the fishtank at home. Younger son catches one of the fish, named "Gepetto." The parents tell the younger son they will cook Gepetto for the younger son, but instead slyly put the fish back in the tank and tell the older son they will slice off a small portion of the older son's fish for the younger son to eat.

Can the playground name this movie?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

I'm familiar with the book "The Body Snatchers", which was made into two movies named "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and a third movie called "Body Snatchers", and a fourth named "The Invasion". The book and all of its movie sequels are about alien pod-people.

What I want to ask the apparently nigh-omniscient Playground crowd is this: has there ever been a work (probably a movie, but possibly an Old-Tyme Radio program or the like) which had the exact title "The Body Snatchers" and was not about alien pod-people? What it was about I don't recall, but I remember someone drawing a very clear distinction for me during my childhood, between the movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", which was about alien pod people, and "The Body Snatchers", no "Invasion", with nary a pod in view.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Colossus in the Playground

There was The Body Snatcher, about graverobbers and starring Boris Karloff.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Crow View Post
    One is about a cartoon (probably anime, but not entirely sure) about a team of people with outfits that had a white/yellow-red-orange colour scheme. Either the entire team or one member had a bird motif thing going. They (or again, maybe just one of them) had a weapon that consisted of a segment of a disc that would fold out to a full disc when it was thrown, it had sharp edges so they it could cut through stuff. I remember one episode being about a member of the team having died and being replaced, and the other members of the team not liking the replacement because "he/she could never replace the dead team member".
    A team of people with bird-themed outfits? Sounds like Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, which was mentioned earlier in the thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7cK79wKCZY

I'd like to ask about two shows myself. One is a children's show about two factions of fighting robots, I think? At the end of the show, the robots would play tic-tac-toe using themselves as the O's and X's. Sometimes the evil faction would cheat and replace one of the good faction's symbols instead of making a legal move.

The second is a live-action movie, I think, about kids in a house where everything has become animate. I remember the (male) incarnation of fire doing an elaborate dance with the (female) incarnation of water, at the end of which they embraced, and he was extinguished.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by notthephonz View Post
    A team of people with bird-themed outfits? Sounds like Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, which was mentioned earlier in the thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7cK79wKCZY
    Wow, that looks a lot... cheesier than I remember, but yeah, that´s definitely it, thanks!
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

There was a movie on tv in the dining hall about a month ago, which none of my friends knew of either.

It appeared to be a (parody?) slasher movie, and the scenes we saw involved a blonde teenage girl with a stuffed tooth doll going to brush her teeth with an enormous amount of toothpaste, then having her wall punched through by a gloved hand and a drill with a giant drill bit shoved down her throat. It made a huge amount of what looked like foam/whipped cream, for some reason.

Another scene had a guy on a trampoline practicing for something, and the same arms with the gloves used a plunger detonator to explode dynamite underneath the trampoline, launching him out of the window. Then the scene cut to a Japanese airline with the flight attendants dressed as godzilla, with the trampoline guy flying up to the window and screaming to help him before falling down.

EDIT: Also, there were Canadian police that had a horse inside their building.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

This one may or may not be a dream that I had.

A grandma gets turned to gold and then melted into buckets.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Barbarian in the Playground

@Forrestfire:
    That one is called Pandemonium, made in 1988 I think? So good. So bad.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

This one is ancient. I've seen it very young, so it had to be in the mid-80s, and I think even back then it was already an old movie.

All that I know is that it was about some kids somehow being in the age of the dinosaurs. And the only scene I remember is one tyranusaur fighting some other dinosaur in the sunset while the kids watched in horror and fascination from the distance. I think it was on some kind of plain and the dinosaurs were on the other side of a river.
    I also think it was stop motion and possibly even black and white.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Ok, so I saw a movie a LONG time ago.

For a long time I thought it was a sequel to "A Christmas Story" because from what I can remember, the family and character dynamics are the same, just this story takes place in the summer (I think.)

The father figure takes the older son (the protagonist) fishing and I am fairly sure there is some narration over the action, similar to A Christmas Story. They both catch some fish.

Later, the younger son feels left out, so the parents suggest the younger son fish in the fishtank at home. Younger son catches one of the fish, named "Gepetto." The parents tell the younger son they will cook Gepetto for the younger son, but instead slyly put the fish back in the tank and tell the older son they will slice off a small portion of the older son's fish for the younger son to eat.

Can the playground name this movie?
    There was a sequel called It Runs in the Family also known as My Summer Story. I know fishing was involved, but not sure about the goldfish thing.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum