New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Il'deav Ilah'naie's Indiscreet Intimacies on Indigo Iceboats Random Banter #135

Hey peoples. I was thinking of making a Wheel of Time heal/hurt in the SMBGs. And I wanted to know what you guys think about this idea. Because I don't want to start something that noones going to play.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Il'deav Ilah'naie's Indiscreet Intimacies on Indigo Iceboats Random Banter #135

"'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Browsing High Octane Nightmare Fuel pages and found this. Definitely creepy and weird. For a bit. It's actually not all that scary, not really.

ION:
    The Prince Caspian film is godawful! Why do the Telmarines sound like a Spanish/Italian accented mix? "Hello, we're evil if you can't tell. And yes, while the film is showing that not all us Telmarines agree with Miraz's plan, it's ramming it down your throat in such an obvious manner you're more likely to hate us anyway. Especially if you've read the book."
    They sound almost exactly like Inigo Montoya! Whaddahell?!
    ANd Reepicheep; the one personmouse I always pictured as having a SPanish/Inigo Montoya accent sounds spiffily British.
    I mean, Caspian almost does the "YOu killed my father prepare to die!" thing. What?
    What?
    Why?
    No -
    Hardly any of the events depicted in the film even happened in the book. What? Screw with one of my favourite childhood books this badly!?
    I'm exactly halfway through the film and scarcely none of it is the same. I like the opening until Prince Inigo Montoya blew the horn outside Trufflehunter's home (also the bit after that before the siblings discover find the Red Haired Dwarf). It. Does. Not. Happen. In. The. Book.
    The horn is blown during a skirmish after Prince CASPIAN had been leading his rebel army for a good few weeks, if not a month or two! DURING HIS TIME OF GREATEST NEED! And Caspian was raised on tales of Old Narnia! His tutor is a dwarf! Why would the rightful heir to the throne have a freakout when there's only three or four horsemen chasing him? He didn't in the book.
    You know how old I pictured Caspian to be in the book? Thirteen, fourteen at most.
    Here he looks twenty.

Oh hey.
    Thought.
    This is not "Prince Caspian". This is "Occasional King Peter's Bildungsroman".

Also: Miraz just shot the minotaur holding the gate in the CASTLE ATTACK WHICH DID NOT HAPPEN IN THE BOOK in the crotch. Okay, that's pretty damn funny.
    But again, more angstiness proving this film is King Peter, not Prince Caspian.

And what is it with DIsney's love of using Griffin's as 'planes a la bombers in TLTWATW and parawhatsit'? in King Peter. Oh yeah, more Angst de Not-Peter at 1:19:20. I do agree that the Telmarine Castle Seige Screw Up was almost entirely due to the whiny baby that was Caspian.
    ANd whatever happened to the strong, brave women that were Susan and Lucy?

Really now, can you show in any more blatantly obvious ways how evil Miraz is? Black, black, ominous Latin chanting, -
    okay, I genuinely cannot stand Caspian's accent. I know they're interlopers in Not-England-But-Narnia, but really, Italian-Spanish? It's annoying and offensive for a reason I can't even name.
    and the drumming of the feet of marching soldiers.
    No complaints about Nikabrik, the werewolf or the Resurrecting White Queen Scene. Aside from the freaky blue hair in the Hag. Oh [finally[/I] Lucy's prving herse - never mind. Kickbutt fight scene and Tempting of AdamPeter. I do enjoy the White Queen's cameo.
    Also? Badass Edmund.
    Also, what's with the love interest 'twixt Susan and Caspian?
    Back from that aside, I nominate that this film be called Kind Edmund the Badass.

More rant later perhaps.

EDIT: doing a spot of editing for spelling and whatnot, and I like the array of the Telmarines for battle. But what is Miraz wearing? He looks like a fresky Spartan-type robot. I know I've seen a similar armour design somewhere, but I know not where.
    I do have high hopes for the Peter/Miraz duel though.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-12-10 at 04:49 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

4. - Top - End - #94

Oh my god, that sounds bad (and I didn't like the first Narnia movies, either). I just fear we have to at least borrow it because the kids want to watch.

But if you want to see a real good movie:

The Milagro Beanfield War

Just watched yesterday again, one of the best movies ever.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Haven't seen that movie. I've heard it's un-terrific . . . but I don't have a huge problem with movies diverging from books in the spirit of a Better Film. So long as the decisions they make don't a) change the fundamental nature of the characters (making a hero an antihero, for example) or b) make the movie WORSE. Or c) attempt to hammer in a heavy-handed moral.

Um, yeah. I remember early in my writing stage - I don't remember ever not knowing I wanted to be a writer, but I do remember when I started telling stories - I announced to my mother that "If I ever write a book, I'm going to put it in my will that no one is ever allowed to make a movie of it. Ever, ever."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh gods I dozed off at my computer and now everything feels weird. I feel like I should be doing...something, but I have no idea what...

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Oh gods I dozed off at my computer and now everything feels weird. I feel like I should be doing...something, but I have no idea what...
    I recommend donning a silly costume and dancing in the streets.

*nodnod*
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Or c) attempt to hammer in a heavy-handed moral.
    Hmm. The starting material is Narnia. Heavy-handed moralizing is built into the premise. My impression of the changes for the movie was mostly "let's add spectacle!" as is typical for this sort of fare.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 2009-12-10 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    I hate it when that happens. I feel bad for the rest of the day.
    trill in da playground

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    I dislike the movie of Prince Caspian.
    Well, I'm now glad that I never watched that movie.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

11. - Top - End - #101

@ZP and DeeRee: It's a pretty bad film; especially the first one hour forty minutes or so. I thought it picked up after that, heck, Susan was the badass warrior queen we all know and love. Even Lucy got a moment, small though it was.
    But the Battle of Beruna Bridge?
    Did not happen.
    They . . . they . . . cocked it up so badly. I can't think of another way to describe it. The bridge, at least my my copies of the book, which were illustrated, clearly showed the bridge to be a stone, arched affair; and I think is even stated to be so in the writing.
    The film has it has a more than makeshift wooden military-type bridge. The kindly river-god who asked Aslan if it was time to be freed of his shackles?
    Is a raging elemental monster who devours the bad guy.
    Whe - wha - what?
    AND WHERE DID THE OTHER NARNIANS GO TO?????
    Aslan and Lucy (I can't remember if Susan was there too, but I like Warrior Queen Susan the Badass so I allow this deviation - if it is one) awaken all the Narnians and they (and they believeing Telmarines) go on a Bacchus-inspired euphoric dance through Narnia to gather the troops and root out the 'unbelievers'.
    So, where the heck were they?
    I was geniunely looking forward to the last forty minutes or so of the film until Beruna happened. ANd then it went all downhill again.

STOP THE SUSAN/CASPIAN ROMANCE!! WHAT THE CRYSTAL DRAGON JESUS?!? No.
    Just. No. They even kiss and make out in front of a crowd before Susan leaves Narnia forever. Tease much?

Huh. Aslan was voiced by Liam Neeson. Nice voice. I quite liked Aslan. Eddie Izzard as Reepicheep?
    No real objections. HOWEVER, the traumatic/dramatic bit at the end where Reepicheep - the cute, gutsy chivalrous warrior mouse - is dying a slow and piteous death and the subsequent Tail Business is so underplayed it's scarcely mentioned and is all but played for comedy.
    Outrage!

Overall: for the first twenty minutes, and for the time starting the Peter/Miraz duel up the Beruna Bridge - it's very good. Horn fiasco aside.
    I loved the White WItch scene. The Attack of Castle Telmarine was also excellently executed despite being cut completely out of whole cloth for the film.
    Visually, and quite often musically, it's wonderful and kept to a high standard throughout.
    But if you read and loved the book Prince Caspian the sheer amount of annoyance and distressingly poor character development (even just from film!TLTWATW to film!Prince Caspian.
    And really, it's not so much a film about Prince Caspian as it is about Prince Caspian Montoya. ALternatively: High King Peter: The Adolescent Angsting Years.
    FIlm!TLTWATW was better.

EDIT: It's not very moralicious though. Quite a few of the themes/morals are done rather subtley, and I do like the way they portray war. I think the best part of the films actually involve Edmund in any way and Susan in the Battle at Aslan's Howe.

FURTHER EDIT:
    Brain haemmorhage much? And Bacchus-inspired mad, euphoric dance could easily be called a Bacchanalian dance. Pardon my brain leak.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2009-12-10 at 05:50 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

But why is that better than being able to touch type on Dvorak? Huh? HUH?
    Because Dvorak is only magical when typing in English. ^

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, I quite liked Prince Caspian.
    This may be due to disliking the Narnia books but it was a very good film.
    The acting was great, considering it's child actors, unlike you I felt the Telmarines had definite culture and identity behind them and Eddie Izzard as Reepicheep makes anything incredible.
    What I didn't like was the Peter - Caspian rivalry which felt incredibly unnecessary, and the White Witch scene which felt incredibly stupid.

Also, remember I talked about taking in Cat-Muffin work to my Creative Writing class?
    I took this.
    And they loved it.
    Though nobody knew wtf to think about it.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

14. - Top - End - #104

My father just gave me a guide to guerrilla warfare in the form of a book written by the Swiss government. It fully describes how to run a resistance movement, perform ambushes, blow up train tracks, and all sorts of other stuff. I have 3 simultaneous reactions to this.

1. What the hell?

2. This is actually very fascinating.

3. THIS IS REALLY FRIGGIN COOL!
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    My father just gave me a guide to guerrilla warfare in the form of a book written by the Swiss government. It fully describes how to run a resistance movement, perform ambushes, blow up train tracks, and all sorts of other stuff. I have 3 simultaneous reactions to this.

1. What the hell?

2. This is actually very fascinating.

3. THIS IS REALLY FRIGGIN COOL!
    Of course. Military strategy is cool to read about. (Just try not to do some of these in real life)

I mean, when you look back all these amazing strategies were pulled off. For instance: Three Kingdoms. Sun Quan stole arrows from his enemies using many boats, straw men, and the fog. The enemy soldiers mistook them for real people and fired their arrows, accidentally resupplying the Wu. ...I think. It might be different from what I've read.

16. - Top - End - #106

I also thought the Prince Caspian film wasn't that bad. No problem with the Telmarine's accents, they aged up Caspian to make him more credible as a threat to Miraz I believe, Reepicheep was excellent, and while I can see Curly's problem with the early horn-blowing, they needed to move the film along a bit. Nothing really happens until the siblings arrive in Narnia, and they couldn't really just go 'Several weeks later...'
    Certainly some things were changed, and various things could've been done better, and admittedly I can't remember the book very well, but, I thought it alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    the White Witch scene which felt incredibly stupid.
    What how why whuh fuh guh buh huh? That's like, the best scene in the film? (I agree with Curly that Edmund gets the best bits)
    Peter/Miraz duel is also very good, and I believe it's also impressively accurate on how they fight (IIRC this was said in a thread in Media Discussions about the film back when it was in cinemas)

ION: I sorted my LaTeX presentation, by the simple expedient of doing it in powerpoint instead. Just got to do the talk tomorrow, and then I will be free! Free! FREE!!!
    Last edited by Thufir; 2009-12-10 at 06:31 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

17. - Top - End - #107

Hey people just popping in to let you know that my Wheel of Time Heal/Hurt has officially opened in the SMBGs.

I also feel like I should contribute to the conversation.

Prince Caspian wasn't a very good movie. It had nothig to do with the book an was kinda stupid. I think the first one was better.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Oh my god, that sounds bad (and I didn't like the first Narnia movies, either). I just fear we have to at least borrow it because the kids want to watch.

But if you want to see a real good movie:

The Milagro Beanfield War

Just watched yesterday again, one of the best movies ever.
    I saw "Milagro" and "war" and got excited, then realized this had nothing to do with what I imagined. v.v

I swear, am I the only person on the planet who enjoyed Metal Fatigue? >.>
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

*glomps Cobra*

Ohhh, late night movie!

*puts up a "BRB" sign*
    *runs off to bed and watches*
    Last edited by Nameless; 2009-12-10 at 06:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

I want to buy an alarm clock that can play from my iPod, and set Thus Spake Zarathustra as my alarm.

I'm not entirely sure why I just thought of this, but I did. I'm somewhat worried that it wouldn't be jarring enough to wake me up. I suppose after that song, I could have it move on to Ride of the Valkyries? It doesn't really matter, since chances are I won't end up doing this.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

*parties with cobra and nameless*
    ____

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    I want to buy an alarm clock that can play from my iPod, and set Thus Spake Zarathustra as my alarm.

I'm not entirely sure why I just thought of this, but I did. I'm somewhat worried that it wouldn't be jarring enough to wake me up. I suppose after that song, I could have it move on to Ride of the Valkyries? It doesn't really matter, since chances are I won't end up doing this.
    They're called iHomes. And they're pretty nice. =)

Of course, it depends on how you have your iPod set. Mine seemed to always want to wake me up to "Hell's Bells".

This was quickly changed to something by Amon Amarth. And...yeah, I can't possibly sleep though that. >.<

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    They're called iHomes. And they're pretty nice. =)
    I know they exist, I just don't feel like buying one when I have a perfectly functional alarm clock already.

24. - Top - End - #114

I wonder what tune I would set my alarm to if I could. Maybe something shuffle, and definitely something intensely metal. Right now, I have an adjustable radio alarm clock that I can't adjust, so I always wake up to extreme left wing opinion. It's advertisements more often than not though.
    Last edited by Zocelot; 2009-12-10 at 09:57 PM.
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't you hate it when some of your friends don't like some of your other friends and it's kinda like "Hey man, lay off."

Anyway, TGTF.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    I'd go for the Ballad of the Wind Fish myself...but that's only because I am a massive Nintendo Nerd.

@Phase: ...Who would the friends of a celestial body be? Phobos and Deimos?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

It's 5AM! I'm writing a paper that's due in 5 hours! This paper is worth at least 50% of my final grade! If I fail this or any other class, my parents kick me out of the house! I think my teacher's going to hate me over this!

And yet, I still find myself cheerful. >.>

28. - Top - End - #118

Well then get cracking. No playground till you are finished.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Happy View Post
    Well then get cracking. No playground till you are finished.
    I'm done. Ish.

I'm about 2 pages short. He wanted 8, I have 6.

But I'm happy with it. And...well, I don't think it's great.

It's supposed to be an argumentative paper for renewable energy, and what course of action should be taken. In reading it over, I think I come off very annoyed and upset by the way politics and such influence it. I think he'll enjoy reading it, whether or not it's a good paper. He comes off very annoyed by the harsh realities of life in class. >.>

30. - Top - End - #120

5 more hours are plenty to make some alterations that give you the abillity to fluff it a bit till its the required 8 pages.
    I know I am my most productive those last few hours