New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Sun Blade = Lightsaber of Goodness?

So the DMG shows the new sun blade which is a hilt that makes a blade of pure radiance that still slashes but does additional radiant damage like the Blaster they have in optional weapons. So does that mean its a lightsaber?
    I would really like some input on this 5e Homebrew
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...mebrew-on-GitP

Help Rebuild my Friend's Shop Goblin Games!
    https://www.gofundme.com/rebuild-goblin-games

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Sun Blade = Lightsaber of Goodness?

Quote Originally Posted by BRKNdevil View Post
    So the DMG shows the new sun blade which is a hilt that makes a blade of pure radiance that still slashes but does additional radiant damage like the Blaster they have in optional weapons. So does that mean its a lightsaber?
    Never liked that interpretation, but it's hard to avoid and I know a lot of people love it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BRKNdevil View Post
    If you want it to be a Lightsaber it most certainly can be. I just hope it does not also have a lightsaber Hilt on it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, it's got a crossguard. Oh wait...
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Do not put too much faith in this Sun Blade you've constructed. The power to make a weapon is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wasn´t the sunblade a bastard sword that could be wielded as a knife? Usually +3 I think.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Most interpretations of lightsabers have them being shafts of contained plasma rather than literal light.

But yeah, its about as close to a lightsaber as you're going to get in a fantasy game.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    But yeah, its about as close to a lightsaber as you're going to get in a fantasy game.
    There are laser guns in the DMG, brain-eating green aliens in the MM, and the PHB has a whole character archetype built around making deal with cthulhu to get magic lasers.

I don't think lightsabers are much of a stretch here.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, the designers played a lot of might and magic?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually think of it more as Gourry Gavriev's Sword of Light.

Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    There are laser guns in the DMG, brain-eating green aliens in the MM, and the PHB has a whole character archetype built around making deal with cthulhu to get magic lasers.

Permission to sig?
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal
    Current PbP Game: 5th Edition low-level game IC OOC Tracker Map
    Current PbP Game: I6 - Ravenloft IC OOC

Full Signature
    I often post from mobile, so feel free to correct any typos.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by jkat718 View Post
    Permission to sig?
    Permission to sig granted.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2014-12-14 at 09:48 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Permission to sig granted.
    I'm going to assume that applies to everyone, and, before it is said otherwise, plaster your words on my signature for all the world to see. At least, the small part of the world that bothers to read my posts.

I'm so alone.
    Forum Avatar courtesy of Chd
    I am: Absolute Neutral: -2 Chaos, -5 Evil, and +22 Balance!\

There are laser guns in the DMG, brain-eating green aliens in the MM, and the PHB has a whole character archetype built around making a deal with Cthulhu to get magic lasers.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by asorel View Post
    I'm going to assume that applies to everyone, and, before it is said otherwise, plaster your words on my signature for all the world to see. At least, the small part of the world that bothers to read my posts.

I'm so alone.
    You and me both!
    Do I really need to wink here?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechaviking View Post
    Wasn´t the sunblade a bastard sword that could be wielded as a knife? Usually +3 I think.
    If my 1/2e memory serves after all these years, a Sunblade was originally a longsword mechanically, with the requirements of a shortsword.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2014-12-14 at 10:28 PM.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz View Post
    I actually think of it more as Gourry Gavriev's Sword of Light.

I've always felt that it had common roots with the lightsaber anyways. Besides Its not like i can make a ragnablade with the sun blade
    I would really like some input on this 5e Homebrew
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...mebrew-on-GitP

Help Rebuild my Friend's Shop Goblin Games!
    https://www.gofundme.com/rebuild-goblin-games

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Or think Thundarr the barbarian!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Lords of Light"

Especially since G.G. was rumored to work on Thundar.
    Last edited by Glarnog; 2014-12-15 at 01:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    The wand of force says hi.

In any case, I think the first properly recorded use of a 'laser sword' in modern fantasy was actually the Rods of Wrath from a Fritz Leiber science fantasy story, Gather Darkness;

Like two ancient swordsmen, then, the warlock and the deacon duelled together. Their weapons were two endless blades of violet incandescence, but their tactics were those of sabreurs - feint, cut, parry, swift riposte.
    Last edited by Scots Dragon; 2014-12-15 at 03:16 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

2nd edition Sun Blade was a +2 weapon, +4 vs Evil, and it dealt double damage vs. Negative Energy Plane creatures or those drawing power from that plane like undead, and once per day you could swing it around to cause daylight (ie, hurt vampires). It also dealt damage as a bastard sword but is wielded as a short sword, which was important, because:
    • Only Warriors were proficient in the use of magic bastard swords (whereas Rogues could also use short swords).
    • Short sword had a superior Speed Factor.
    • Two Weapon Fighting required your off hand weapon to be smaller in size then the main weapon (or two daggers), so this allowed you to basically use a bastard sword in each hand.

To summarize, it was a pretty awesome weapon.

How does the 5E version compare?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

wink Re: Sun Blade = Lightsaber of Goodness?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    Do not put too much faith in this Sun Blade you've constructed. The power to make a weapon is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
    Not as clumsy or random as a crossbow -- an elegant weapon from a more civilized age ...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz View Post
    Nah, it's got a crossguard. Oh wait...
    Haha, I see what you did there. The real question is it a light cross guard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baptor View Post
    You never go full Samson.
    My 5e Homebrew:

The Bashou-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...8#post18198938

The Episcan-http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...in-No-Episcan!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Or think Thundarr the barbarian!

Demon Dogs! What foul Wizardry (of the Coast) is this? They have created a copy of the Sun Sword!

...yeah, if you want a laser blade, this is the way to go. I kind of preferred the Bastard Sword with a Glowing Blade rather than a go-to analog for fighting Darth Macalaster.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    How does the 5E version compare?
    Not that well imo.

It is a +2 Longsword that has the Finesse property (Not light) that can be used with the Shortsword proficiency. It emits light and deals 1D8+2 Radiant damage with an extra 1D8 radiant to undead.
    What I consider a huge detriment to the sword is the fact that it requires a bonus action to summon, so it cannot be drawn with a free action like every other weapon.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Giant2005 View Post
    Not that well imo.

It is a +2 Longsword that has the Finesse property (Not light) that can be used with the Shortsword proficiency. It emits light and deals 1D8+2 Radiant damage with an extra 1D8 radiant to undead.
    What I consider a huge detriment to the sword is the fact that it requires a bonus action to summon, so it cannot be drawn with a free action like every other weapon.
    This makes me sad that it has fallen so far
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodshed343 View Post
    If they get a +3 maul, it should hit like a truck being thrown by a bigger truck. It's a LEGENDARY weapon. This ain't a random boulder on a stick. This is Kord's right nut.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrUberGr View Post
    There are 10 rays, and you roll a d10 to determine what rays it uses. However, this seems totally stupid, since it isn't a 3 Int monster that will just fart rays from its eyes when it gets angry.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

So it's gone from a +2 Bastard Sword which can be wielded like a shortsword, and does double damage to "negative energy-fueled creatures"... to a +2 Longsword (which is also this edition's Bastard Sword - see versatile property), which can use dexterity for to-hit AND damage bonus (like a shortsword) as well as being usable with shortsword proficiency, and throws an extra weapon die of damage against undead...

That's a pretty close analog on the base functions. All we're really missing here is the globe of daylight.

Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post
    That's a pretty close analog on the base functions. All we're really missing here is the globe of daylight.
    The fact that it doesn't have the Light property means that it can't be used with Two Weapon Fighting. So it won't be used by most Rogues or Rangers, which was the big draw of the weapon in 2E.

And the fact that its a Bonus Action and not a Free Action to draw means is a big deal, because it means you have to reveal yourself prior to combat (since it emits light) preventing you from using Stealth, or waste the Bonus Action the first round of combat (preventing you from doing something useful, like casting Spiritual Weapon, using Cunning Action, etc).

I think I'll house rule it to fix these problems.

Also, in every edition of Dungeons and Dragons I've ever played (and I've played every edition since 1st edition), I've eventually had to homebrew a Jedi class for one of my players, who insists on playing one. I think in 5E I'm going to use Monk chassis, remove the Unarmed Strike stuff and give them Martial weapon proficiency, let Flurry work with any weapon, and change the Ki powers to mimic Force Powers, and give them a real capstone. Any thoughts?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Rat View Post

From the description:

"The sword's luminous blade emits bright light in a 15 foot radius and dim light for an additional 15 feet. The light is sunlight..."

So anything sensitive to sunlight is going to have trouble with it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

The fact that it doesn't have the Light property means that it can't be used with Two Weapon Fighting. So it won't be used by most Rogues or Rangers, which was the big draw of the weapon in 2E.

And the fact that its a Bonus Action and not a Free Action to draw means is a big deal, because it means you have to reveal yourself prior to combat (since it emits light) preventing you from using Stealth, or waste the Bonus Action the first round of combat (preventing you from doing something useful, like casting Spiritual Weapon, using Cunning Action, etc).

I think I'll house rule it to fix these problems.
    A Feat would fix the dual-wielding issue. Not optimal, but a trade-off from making dual-wielding more accessible in general. And the bonus action issue is why I prefer a sword that glows with the radiance of the sun over a Gundanium-fueled energy blade. (I'll run out of "not a light saber" analogs eventually).

Also, in every edition of Dungeons and Dragons I've ever played (and I've played every edition since 1st edition), I've eventually had to homebrew a Jedi class for one of my players, who insists on playing one. I think in 5E I'm going to use Monk chassis, remove the Unarmed Strike stuff and give them Martial weapon proficiency, let Flurry work with any weapon, and change the Ki powers to mimic Force Powers, and give them a real capstone. Any thoughts?
    Far and away, Monk will be the best fit. Next closest is Warlock (Pact of the Blade, but is the Force more like Fey or Old Ones?). You could probably work from Elemental Fist, popping in some more Mind Trick and Disturbance-Sensing abilities. The question though is do you want them to have full Martial proficiency, or proficiency with a specific weapon? There's some debate about how wacky weapon flurries could get (something about potential magic and the joys of Heavy Weapon Mastery), and if that seems to be a little overboard, you can restrict flurry to a specific weapon or smaller pool of weapons.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by LuthielValkire View Post
    From the description:

"The sword's luminous blade emits bright light in a 15 foot radius and dim light for an additional 15 feet. The light is sunlight..."

So anything sensitive to sunlight is going to have trouble with it.
    That's why as a good DM you should give the sword to the Drow of the party

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Monks in D&D online are able to take the feat "Whirling Steel Strike" to specifically use longswords. That seems to me to be the closest fit for Jedi. I would do that and use elemental monk as a basis for picking out some force and telekinesis-y spells for them to have access to. I would also give them the mage hand and friends cantrips (simple force use, jedi mind trick), but those are just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Easy_Lee; 2014-12-17 at 10:34 AM.
    Breaking BM: Revised - an updated look at the beast-mounted halfling ranger based on the Revised Ranger: Beast Conclave.