New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ice Hockey Fans in the Playground!!

I really like the San Jose Sharks purely because sharks are my favorite animal.
    Interesting about the Leafs. Actually makes their name respectable.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Canadiens are the Canadiens cause it's French. Pronounced "Can-ah-dyeh", with just a hint of starting to pronounce an 'enn' sound at the end, but never getting past the nasal bit.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

No idea whats wrong with Gomez, but it's really a pain to see him, and whats worst is Jacques Martin trying every winger with him, and then having those wingers production drop or stop completely.
    People on Habs boards are clamoring to put Gomez on waivers and send him to the AHL, or move him down to the fourth line.
    Just imagine if the Habs had a working top line center instead of him...

And yes Canadiens is the french spelling, but the Habs will do as well!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Well filming the first third of the game between the Dordrecht Lions* and the Zoetermeer Badgers* and doing registry/thingy the third part, both live.

I gotta say, respect to the people out there who film/register icehockey. Filming and registry a ice hockey game live is damn hard. Fun though.

*Two professional dutch teams.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Well filming the first third of the game between the Dordrecht Lions* and the Zoetermeer Badgers* and doing registry/thingy the third part, both live.

I gotta say, respect to the people out there who film/register icehockey. Filming and registry a ice hockey game live is damn hard. Fun though.

*Two professional dutch teams.
    What fun! Do you get to work a lot of games?

And the Dordrecht Lions you mention - would they be these Dordrecht Lions?

(Oversize image in Spoiler)
    Spoiler
    Show

I honestly don't know much at all about Dutch ice hockey, although I gather that the team in yellow in the photo above are the Heerenveen Flyers. Is there a lot of support for the game in the Netherlands?
    Last edited by Chunklets; 2010-11-25 at 03:59 PM.
    Trophies and current avi by Lord Herman!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Anyone know the deal with the Devils? They're one of the most stacked teams this year, and yet they're behind such powerhouse teams as Edmonton and Florida.

PS: don't listen to fans on any teams boards. Nucks fans on CDC (canucks.com) are clamoring to waive Luongo. Yes, him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Anyone know the deal with the Devils? They're one of the most stacked teams this year, and yet they're behind such powerhouse teams as Edmonton and Florida.

PS: don't listen to fans on any teams boards. Nucks fans on CDC (canucks.com) are clamoring to waive Luongo. Yes, him.
    Waiving Luongo? Really? I know that Luongo has struggled a bit this year (At this moment NHL.com has him tied for 23rd out of 44 qualified goalies in Sv%), and I do think that the Canucks would be better served by giving him a few more nights off, since Schneider's been doing fine, but getting rid of the guy seems more than a bit extreme...

I also kind of wonder if anybody would take Luongo, should the Canucks do the unthinkable and waive him. There can't be that many teams out there with the cap space AND the money to pay him AND a pressing need to improve their goaltending AND (the big one) the willingness to take on a contract that runs out in 2022. That's not a knock on Bobby Lu, particularly - I just don't see where he's a fit outside Vancouver.

As I said above, I think the best thing the Canucks can do with Luongo is get him a bit more rest, and hope that that returns him to elite form. At least this year he won't have the added workload of the Olympics.

And I'm as puzzled as you are about the Devils, although I will say that losing Parise hasn't helped. At some point, sheer talent has to tell, doesn't it?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just got back from a fantastic Sens/Leafs game!

With all due respect to the various Leaf fans on the Playground, who are fine intelligent folk, what in the hell is up with the arrogance of the Leafs fans who paint their faces Blue and White to go to Sens games? When I saw them coming to sit down next to me, I was kinda looking forward to some friendly banter with them throughout the game, especially never having been to see the Leafs play. What I got was instead constant ragging about how Sens fans supposedly only cheer when we win, while they cheer even in losses (I would hope so; they wouldn't cheer to much otherwise), asking me how long its been since we won a Cup (18 years in the league without one; they're at 43), and finally pointing out they've never lost to us in the playoffs (Fun fact: They Leafs haven't lost a playoff game in 6 years).

Though I did find it amusing that the announcer said "Thank you Sens Army for selling out the building", given it was at least 60% Leaf fans...
    Thanks to banjo1985 for the amazing Avatar.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SensFan View Post
    Just got back from a fantastic Sens/Leafs game!

With all due respect to the various Leaf fans on the Playground, who are fine intelligent folk, what in the hell is up with the arrogance of the Leafs fans who paint their faces Blue and White to go to Sens games? When I saw them coming to sit down next to me, I was kinda looking forward to some friendly banter with them throughout the game, especially never having been to see the Leafs play. What I got was instead constant ragging about how Sens fans supposedly only cheer when we win, while they cheer even in losses (I would hope so; they wouldn't cheer to much otherwise), asking me how long its been since we won a Cup (18 years in the league without one; they're at 43), and finally pointing out they've never lost to us in the playoffs (Fun fact: They Leafs haven't lost a playoff game in 6 years).

Though I did find it amusing that the announcer said "Thank you Sens Army for selling out the building", given it was at least 60% Leaf fans...
    Was there beer involved?? The one thing I can give the Leafs fan is that they are enduring, and persistant. I'm just annoyed that they are off to give another top 5 round one draft pick to the Bruins.

As for the Devils, well they had alot of injuries at the start of the season, they we're playing games with what 17, 18 skaters, that can't be good for the morale... do they blame Ilya??
    Brodeur's been off his game too.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Devils being awful is a bit baffling, but I attribute it to Ilya Kovalchuk having a clause in his contract that he'll only play for terrible teams so that he doesn't have to play past April. Okay, that's not a real thing, but the fact that every team he's played on, except for some ridiculously stacked Russian World Championship teams, has been can't be a coincidence.

The Leaf fans talking about Stanley Cups has a basis in fact, but it's not a particularly good argument. The Ottawa Senators won a few Stanley Cups in the '20s, prior to the NHL's "original six" era, and the Ottawa Hockey Club won like a bajillion cups prior to that, so technically the 1967 Cup means that the Leafs have won a Stanley Cup more recently than the Sens. But they've also had something like 60 years of extra chances (the Sens came back around 1990, didn't they?), so that's not really saying much.

It sounds like they're just fans of a terrible franchise trying to remember the good times, like every Oiler fan who was alive for one of the Cup wins in the '80s and 1990. Seriously, any conversation with an Oilers fan over 30 turns into a wistful yearning for the "good old days".

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
    It sounds like they're just fans of a terrible franchise trying to remember the good times, like every Oiler fan who was alive for one of the Cup wins in the '80s and 1990. Seriously, any conversation with an Oilers fan over 30 turns into a wistful yearning for the "good old days".
    How many Habs fans does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Spoiler
    Show
    10; 1 to change the bulb, and 9 to talk about how good it used to be.

Also, damn Gerber coming back to beat us in our home.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Bah you are jealous of the Habs legacy!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SensFan View Post
    Also, damn Gerber coming back to beat us in our home.
    Gerber did play a gem last night. In fact, he's been great in both the games he's played since being called up. It's actually a bit of a feel-good story; for those of you who don't know, Gerber broke his neck last year playing in Russia. For him to be playing this season at all, let alone successfully in the NHL, is an impressive feat. Gerber was probably the Oilers' best goalie in training camp, but lost out to the numbers game. He'll presumably end up back in Oklahoma City as soon as Khabibulin is healthy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him called up again later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Walrus
    The Leaf fans talking about Stanley Cups has a basis in fact, but it's not a particularly good argument. The Ottawa Senators won a few Stanley Cups in the '20s, prior to the NHL's "original six" era, and the Ottawa Hockey Club won like a bajillion cups prior to that, so technically the 1967 Cup means that the Leafs have won a Stanley Cup more recently than the Sens. But they've also had something like 60 years of extra chances (the Sens came back around 1990, didn't they?), so that's not really saying much.
    Fun Fact! The second-last time the Senators won the Stanley Cup, in 1923, they defeated the Edmonton Eskimos in the final. I don't know if that makes SensFan feel any better about last night's game, but there it is... Anyway, here's a shot of the 1905 Ottawa Hockey Club, aka "The Silver Seven", with the Cup. The man standing in the top right of the photo is "One-Eye" Frank McGee, probably ice hockey's first real superstar (he once scored 14 goals in a Cup finals game against Dawson City).

(Image spoilered due to width)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by shiram
    As for the Devils, well they had alot of injuries at the start of the season, they we're playing games with what 17, 18 skaters, that can't be good for the morale... do they blame Ilya??
    Brodeur's been off his game too.
    Good point about Brodeur. I just looked, and his Sv% so far this year is .901 - good for 31st out of 40 qualified goaltenders. He's also been injured a bit, I think, and one starts to wonder if maybe he isn't coming to the end of the road, playing-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus
    The Devils being awful is a bit baffling, but I attribute it to Ilya Kovalchuk having a clause in his contract that he'll only play for terrible teams so that he doesn't have to play past April. Okay, that's not a real thing, but the fact that every team he's played on, except for some ridiculously stacked Russian World Championship teams, has been can't be a coincidence.
    You may well be on to something - I kind of suspect the ol' "dressing-room cancer" phenomenon. It's interesting to see that Atlanta are actually having a decent season right now. They're 7th in the East right now, in there battling for a playoff position. Meanwhile, we all know where New Jersey is in the standings, and as Kovie's contribution... Well, I'll put it to you this way. Right now, he'd be 8th in points, and tied for 6th in goals, on the Edmonton Oilers. Lou Lamoriello must have completely lost his mind. I do feel for Devils fans this season!

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by Chunklets View Post
    You may well be on to something - I kind of suspect the ol' "dressing-room cancer" phenomenon. It's interesting to see that Atlanta are actually having a decent season right now. They're 7th in the East right now, in there battling for a playoff position. Meanwhile, we all know where New Jersey is in the standings, and as Kovie's contribution... Well, I'll put it to you this way. Right now, he'd be 8th in points, and tied for 6th in goals, on the Edmonton Oilers. Lou Lamoriello must have completely lost his mind. I do feel for Devils fans this season!
    I don't feel nearly as bad for them this season as I will in 12 years

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seeing Kovalchuk's stats at the 20-whatever game mark blew my mind a little bit. I mean, Ilya Kovalchuk has been one of the most dangerous scorers of the post-lockout era, and he has 10 points. 18 year old Taylor Hall has 12, and there's been a lot of talk about his start being slow. Kovy's 4 goals are matched by Ryan Jones... who splits time between the third and fourth line and averages probably 10 minutes a game. Even though the teams he's on typically suck, at least he usually puts up big numbers in spite of it. And you can't even really blame the loss of Zach Parise on Kovalchuk's poor production, since in all of his seasons in Atlanta he never had anybody worth Parise's left arm to play with.

I kind of wish there was a feasible way for the Oilers to keep Martin Gerber around as the number one goalie. Not only has he played well, but the team has played much better in front of him than they have in front of Khabibulin or Dubnyk.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ilya's deal was covered in controversy and greed. And as team-mate, that cant be too great a feeling. They cant make any moves, as they have no cap space either. The team is stuck where it's at, and there is always the impression that when a player gets his big deal, its quite possible they will kinda sit on their contracts.
    But time will tell on the Kovychuck deal, for now it does not look good!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone know anything about Scott Hannan?

The Caps just traded for him and I've been hearing good things about his defensive prowess. I'm pretty comfortable with our defensive corps now, assuming good health, so our only holes are 2nd and 3rd center.

P.S. Felt good to Out-Halak Halak. St. Louis out-chanced and out-shot the Caps but sterling PK work, a goaltender standing on his head, and a couple lucky bounces and the Caps win 4-1.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Anyone know anything about Scott Hannan?

The Caps just traded for him and I've been hearing good things about his defensive prowess. I'm pretty comfortable with our defensive corps now, assuming good health, so our only holes are 2nd and 3rd center.
    Well, I don't know much about Hannan, but here in Oilerdom there was some rejoicing at the fact that he'd been traded out of our division (and conference), so he must have some things going for him. I believe that he's your basic defensive defenseman, and fairly good at it. Good trade for the Caps, I think.

In other news, this Taylor Hall kid is pretty good. I think the Oilers should keep him. Not to mention Eberle, and Paajarvi's been coming on as well lately. Good times, and we shall enjoy them while they last!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Ahh, sweet revenge
    Blanked Chicago 3-0. Turco is a lolburger with his "I'mma gonna go down to center ice for a nice dance with Kesler and the puck"
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo View Post
    Ahh, sweet revenge
    Blanked Chicago 3-0. Turco is a lolburger with his "I'mma gonna go down to center ice for a nice dance with Kesler and the puck"
    I actually watched that game (flipping back and forth between it and the Calgary-Minny game), and I thought it was a very good show by the Canucks - they weathered an early spate of pressure from the 'Hawks, got great goaltending, and generally did what needed doing. I did feel a bit sorry for that kid who accidentally smacked Luongo in the face when the Canucks were taking the ice though. Kid had his "Bobby Lou" shirt on and everything, and he must have felt absolutely mortified, poor guy.

Oilers-Blues tonight, and it's a game I'm looking forward to, since I know next to nothing about this year's edition of the Blues. I think they went on a bit of a run early, but have been slumping lately. I'll be very interested to see what sort of team they are! And also, of course, to see what sorts of things the kids get up to tonight...

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Red Wings, a great team, but the officiating seemed a bit off, especially the first period. Still they won it fair and square.
    Now Toronto, The Habs played with no energy and no conviction.
    The loss of Gomez, shows that even being overpaid as he is, he can pilot the second line, and contribute on the powerplay.
    And now with Spacek gone for who knows how long we will test our D's depth.
    Good thing that Weber and Picard are picking it up, while Subban stuggles with his comeback after 3 games on the bench.

Very interested in seeing Max Paccioretty on the top 6 forwards, he can be a solution to our missing forward on the second line.

The road ahead is a difficult one though.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shiram View Post
    And now with Spacek gone for who knows how long we will test our D's depth.

Good thing that Weber and Picard are picking it up, while Subban stuggles with his comeback after 3 games on the bench.

Very interested in seeing Max Paccioretty on the top 6 forwards, he can be a solution to our missing forward on the second line.
    Any update on how specifically how long they'll be missing Spacek? If the answer is longer than "not very long at all, actually," then it's going to be tough sledding for the Habs' D. Spacek wasn't an Oiler very long, but I still miss him. I agree that Pacioretty is one to keep an eye on, though.

Any opinions in the Playground on the Linus Omark shootout goal, and subsequent accusations of disrespect and youthful over-brashness? For my part, I thought it was an awesome goal, but, then again, I am somewhat biased...

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh man do I miss the Spacek/Pronger pairing on the Oilers back end. For the one year we had them.

Tampa's reaction to Omark's goal was pretty much sour grapes, I think. It didn't take long for somebody to point out that Marty St. Louis skated in BACKWARDS on a shootout attempt against Marc-Andre Fleury. It was, however, excellent fodder for the hockey humour blog I started up a while ago, Fuhr and Loathing. </shameless plug>

The 12 shot performance against Vancouver, on the other hand... man, way to throw away a winnable game, guys. I'm pretty sure Eberle only scored because Luongo thought the game was over already.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

No news on duration of injury for Spacek or Gomez, though i have a feeling Gomez will be back in the lineup tomorow night.
    The arrival of MaxPac, if he is paired with say Gomez and Gionta could maybe revive Gomez, at least one can hope.

Spacek is a tough piece to replace, he is always sent out agaisnt the opposition's top line with Hamrlik, and its hard to replace all the experience, not only that be Josh Gorges has been getting therapy days for over a month now...

Plus we're facing The Flyers and Bruins this week, before embarking on the long holiday trek, 7 games on the road.

edit : Gomez, Gorges and Spacek we're all at practice, so thats good news.
    And that Linus Omark goal was all kinds of awesome, the shootout is mostly a joke anyways, and the point system for it makes little sense. So glad the kid showed some flare, and he scored too.
    Last edited by shiram; 2010-12-14 at 12:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I don't know much about Hannan, but here in Oilerdom there was some rejoicing at the fact that he'd been traded out of our division (and conference), so he must have some things going for him. I believe that he's your basic defensive defenseman, and fairly good at it. Good trade for the Caps, I think.
    Yup, good trade for us. We ended up going on a six game losing streak shortly after acquiring him. Man, that Montreal loss is going to haunt the fanbase for awhile; some Caps fans are already advocating to fire the coach.

I'm not worried though because this roster isn't the roster going into the playoffs and IT'S FREAKIN' DECEMBER. If the Caps don't get a second center by the trade deadline, then I'll start panicking.

Any opinions in the Playground on the Linus Omark shootout goal, and subsequent accusations of disrespect and youthful over-brashness? For my part, I thought it was an awesome goal, but, then again, I am somewhat biased...
    Disrespect? No. Youthful over-brashness? Yes. Was it awesome? Very much so. If he didn't score there, then he'd look like a fool. He DID score, so props to him. If you don't like the showboating, then STOP HIM.

So, did Don Cherry threaten bodily harm to him yet?
    Last edited by Joran; 2010-12-14 at 03:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shiram
    Spacek is a tough piece to replace, he is always sent out agaisnt the opposition's top line with Hamrlik, and its hard to replace all the experience, not only that be Josh Gorges has been getting therapy days for over a month now...
    Didn't know that about Gorges. What's the injury with him? Hopefully for the Habs Subban can recover his form fairly soon (I saw your note about Spacek being at practise, and that's a good thing too.

Quote Originally Posted by joran
    Yup, good trade for us. We ended up going on a six game losing streak shortly after acquiring him. Man, that Montreal loss is going to haunt the fanbase for awhile; some Caps fans are already advocating to fire the coach. I'm not worried though because this roster isn't the roster going into the playoffs and IT'S FREAKIN' DECEMBER. If the Caps don't get a second center by the trade deadline, then I'll start panicking.
    The weird thing about it is that Hannan's +/- each game with the Caps during this streak has been 0,-1,0,-1,-2,-3, so he appears to be getting worse. Who's he been playing with on D?

I'm not too worried about the Caps though either. Only two of the losses on this streak have been what you'd call "bad" (FLA and NYR), and they still have the third most points in the Eastern Conference. I do hear you on the subject of centremen - it looks to me like they're using Matt Hendricks as the #2C (is this correct?), and I suspect that's a bit above his ceiling, at least right now. I also wonder, and have wondered before in this very thread, whether Washington maybe needs a veteran netminder, since Neuvirth, Varlamov, and Holtby have a combined 85 games of experience among them. I doubt that Nabokov will end up as a Cap, since he needs to clear waivers to come back to the NHL, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Roloson make the move from Long Island. The Caps' young goalies have done pretty well far, but a little insurance can't hurt.

Tampa's reaction to Omark's goal was pretty much sour grapes, I think. It didn't take long for somebody to point out that Marty St. Louis skated in BACKWARDS on a shootout attempt against Marc-Andre Fleury. It was, however, excellent fodder for the hockey humour blog I started up a while ago, Fuhr and Loathing. </shameless plug>
    Thanks for the link! That's great stuff - I particularly liked Marty Gerber's guide to the Edmonton Oilers. I look forward to more!

The 12 shot performance against Vancouver, on the other hand... man, way to throw away a winnable game, guys. I'm pretty sure Eberle only scored because Luongo thought the game was over already.
    Yeah, that one was a learning experience. Tonight's game should be fun, with two fairly bad teams trying to run each other over. The Leafs will want some revenge for last time (and maybe for Taylor Hall's comments today), and have dressed Colton Orr. The Oilers will want to get over Sunday, and have dressed Steve MacIntyre and Zach Stortini. Should be some bad feelings all 'round in this one. Old time hockey!

Quote Originally Posted by Joran
    So, did Don Cherry threaten bodily harm to him yet?
    I'm not sure - I unfortunately missed the "Coach's Corner" segment on HNIC the next night, so I have no idea what, if anything, Cherry had say about Mr. Omark's shenanigans. I did read somewhere that Marcel Dionne thought it was pretty cool, though, and that's high praise coming from that guy.
    Last edited by Chunklets; 2010-12-14 at 08:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

The weird thing about it is that Hannan's +/- each game with the Caps during this streak has been 0,-1,0,-1,-2,-3, so he appears to be getting worse. Who's he been playing with on D?
    A revolving door (mad props to www.timeonice.com for shift charts):

First game: Jon Erskine.
    Second game: Tyler Sloan.
    Third game: Tom Poti
    Fourth game: Mike Green
    Fifth/Sixth Game: Tom Poti

Jeff Schultz, our top pairing guy with Mike Green, is out for 4-6 weeks with a broken thumb. Mike Green was out the last two games with injury/flu and Tyler Sloan is on IR, hence the jumbling of the lines.

I'd expect Hannan to play with Mike Green again on Wednesday and until Schultz comes back and then either Poti or Alzner afterward.

I'm not too worried about the Caps though either. Only two of the losses on this streak have been what you'd call "bad" (FLA and NYR), and they still have the third most points in the Eastern Conference. I do hear you on the subject of centremen - it looks to me like they're using Matt Hendricks as the #2C (is this correct?), and I suspect that's a bit above his ceiling, at least right now. I also wonder, and have wondered before in this very thread, whether Washington maybe needs a veteran netminder, since Neuvirth, Varlamov, and Holtby have a combined 85 games of experience among them. I doubt that Nabokov will end up as a Cap, since he needs to clear waivers to come back to the NHL, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Roloson make the move from Long Island. The Caps' young goalies have done pretty well far, but a little insurance can't hurt.
    You missed the choke against Toronto Maple Leafs. We were up 4-1 in the third, when we let in 3 straight goals and lost in OT.

2nd Center has been a revolving door also. We tried Tomas Fleischmann there and when he failed (he's a true winger), we traded him. We have Marcus Johansson and Mathieu Perreault, who are both rookies, one from the SEL, the other from the AHL, and aren't quite ready for prime time. We occasionally try Matt Hendricks (why the heck did the Avalanche let him go?!) and Boyd Gordon, but for the most part it's Johansson and Perreault. One of them plays 2nd center, the other plays 3rd.

Ideally, we'd grab a Brad Richards or another veteran type center; we already got the depth defender in Hannan that I was hoping for. I think the Caps are confident in their stable of goaltenders of Neuvirth and Varlamov, either of which proved that they can get hot and play well at the NHL level. That may change if either is hurt and Holtby has to step in. Holtby needs more seasoning in the AHL.
    Last edited by Joran; 2010-12-14 at 10:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Oh man do I miss the Spacek/Pronger pairing on the Oilers back end. For the one year we had them.

Ha, nicely done, I enjoyed it, even though the Semin line hurt.

Your next post basically writes itself: Oilers add cheerleaders

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-296037
    Last edited by Joran; 2010-12-15 at 02:22 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There is no word on wether Gorges is injured, but he is been getting alot of therapy days.
    Spacek looks to be back tonight though, so thats good as the Flyers are a tough team, and we'll need our best D on their best offence.
    Subban has been hitting a rough patch ever since he came back form the bench, but thats part of being a rookie, and hopefully it will be a learning experience.
    Still psyched to see what happens with MaxPac, and if Gomez will play and pick up his game with this new winger.

Anyone wanna pick up Brian Rolston on waivers?? Or Dustyn Boyd for that matter..

30. - Top - End - #150