New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece -- Discussion

I think Van der Decken is the real big bad for this arch. Sure, he may not seem much, but creative use of a devil fruit can always surprise us (Foxy comes to mind of a devil fruit user that turns out to be way more dangerous then he appears).

It also seems that the princess is being set up to be with the straw hats, which is not something I'm looking up to.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mage View Post
    It also seems that the princess is being set up to be with the straw hats, which is not something I'm looking up to.
    Me neither. She's too big for one and we already had a Princess. I mean, Vivi wasn't a serious fighter, but she could, in fact, fight. Shira-whatever can't.

Wonder who shot Otohime though. I don't think it was Decken, as it wouldn't benefit him one way or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Me neither. She's too big for one and we already had a Princess. I mean, Vivi wasn't a serious fighter, but she could, in fact, fight. Shira-whatever can't.

Wonder who shot Otohime though. I don't think it was Decken, as it wouldn't benefit him one way or the other.
    Decken has only one goal though: to marry Shiraboshi and use her power.

Does he really need Otohime for that? Not really. He would need a distraction to get close enough to mark Shiraboshi though. I think one of his men did it.

I had assumed that it had been shock from seeing the petitions burn that caused the wound anyway, since merely shouting at Otohime seems to cause her internal bleeding.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Post Re: One Piece -- Discussion

I think Van der Decken is the real big bad for this arch. Sure, he may not seem much, but creative use of a devil fruit can always surprise us (Foxy comes to mind of a devil fruit user that turns out to be way more dangerous then he appears).

Well, the flashback pretty much points to VDD being the BBEG, with Princess Shirahoshi being foreshadowed as the catalyst for the island's prophetic destruction.
    And the way i see it, per the basis of (possible) match-ups, luffy will be the one to face VDD, thus protecting the arc's central character (princess). Zoro vs. Hodi, and Sanji rescuing the captured mermaids by beating Caribou (sp?) to a bloody, filthy, dried-swamp pulp.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Well, the flashback pretty much points to VDD being the BBEG, with Princess Shirahoshi being foreshadowed as the catalyst for the island's prophetic destruction.
    And the way i see it, per the basis of (possible) match-ups, luffy will be the one to face VDD, thus protecting the arc's central character (princess). Zoro vs. Hodi, and Sanji rescuing the captured mermaids by beating Caribou (sp?) to a bloody, filthy, dried-swamp pulp.
    Which still leaves: Chopper, Franky, Robbin, Brooks, Ussop, and Nami without a fight ...

6. - Top - End - #456
    Bugbear in the Playground

Which still leaves: Chopper, Franky, Robbin, Brooks, Ussop, and Nami without a fight ...
    Presumably the New Fishmen Pirates that survive the ass-whupping they're about to get from the princes and VDD's crew will provide in that regard.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

What makes you think we've seen the Big Bad and all adversaries for this arc yet?

Remember Baroque Works - it took ages and multiple fights and match-ups before we saw the barest hint of Crocodile. All sorts of unknowns could still pop up.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    What makes you think we've seen the Big Bad and all adversaries for this arc yet?

Remember Baroque Works - it took ages and multiple fights and match-ups before we saw the barest hint of Crocodile. All sorts of unknowns could still pop up.
    We did know he was coming though...
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

OH MY F***ING MERCIFUL GOD, ODA-SAMA, the flashback is over! *goes to make an offering*

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, we are finally done. Luffy slept through half of it and Nami forgives Jinbei while Sanji wants to gut him. People worry over Zoro (lol) Hody makes his move... Something else? Oh, of course, a human killed Otohime. Well, duh. And somehow Decken got his hands on weakling-hime... I missed it.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Dwarf in the Playground

AWRIGHT!

It's been like two years since we last saw this happen!

Flashback over means that people are going to start getting on screen fights that last longer than two pages!

I wonder how many flashbacks Luffy has actually been coherant for. I think Robin's was the only one, and he really wasn't listening, I think.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ettin in the Playground

My theory is that Luffy listens allright (when he's present). He just pretends he doesn't in some nefarious act to appear dumber than he really is.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

o.O

King Neptune is surprisingly sexy in a suit.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wrapped because of one wee spoiler regarding the latest, #627:

Spoiler
    Show
    The events in the flashback leading up to Otohime dying seem serendipitously cruel, even by shonen-manga standards:

I mean, she's put up to the task of getting signatures by a Tenryubito; she goes through all that effort to get signatures and when she's done the whole lot explodes in flames; right then she's shot and killed--by a human...so her death wipes away all of the optimism about Human-Fishman relations that she devoted herself to fostering.

I don't think I'm crossing into Epileptic Tree territory to suggest that the Tenryubito...maybe even the specific one who the Fishmen rescued...somehow concocted some kind of elaborate revenge scenario.

I would like to point out the ghost of Sophocles agrees with me, for he feels that all seems a bit contrived.

I don't mind Oda's flashbacks. Yeah they take time, but they feel organic to the narrative and tend to have good payoffs.

14. - Top - End - #464

It's not a parental figure's death in a One Piece Flashback unless it is cruel, pointless (in-universe, not to the narrative), and extremely sad.
    Last edited by BlackDragonKing; 2011-06-01 at 11:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Yanagi View Post
    Wrapped because of one wee spoiler regarding the latest, #627:

Spoiler
    Show

I mean, she's put up to the task of getting signatures by a Tenryubito; she goes through all that effort to get signatures and when she's done the whole lot explodes in flames; right then she's shot and killed--by a human...so her death wipes away all of the optimism about Human-Fishman relations that she devoted herself to fostering.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's if it was really a human that did it, and not, for instance, a certain gentleman who knows and is very interested in the possible effects of Shirahoshi letting her emotions get the better of her, and who always hits his target.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Barbarian in the Playground

@GloatingSwine

Eh. Good point. I forgot about why he's obsessed with her.

Edited to add that the ghost of Sophocles is mighty let down, as he thought he had a wicked sweet theory going there.
    Last edited by Yanagi; 2011-06-02 at 05:30 PM.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Banned

I don't see that It'd be pretty stupid for Oda to do that.
    Last edited by Dvandemon; 2011-06-04 at 05:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dvandemon View Post
    I don't see that It'd be pretty stupid for Oda to do that.
    I meant the part of the legend that someone will guide the princess, in chapter 626. Sure, it's not outright spelled out, but I think it looks like a set up.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Banned

I just got the impression that Luffy would play a big part. Her joining the crew is a pretty big leap.

EDIT: Don't know where, but I got the implication she would join the crew from you. If she's going to be with the Straw Hats I feel the whole thing would be isolated around Fishman Island so, nothing like Vivi going on.
    Last edited by Dvandemon; 2011-06-04 at 07:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I just got the impression that Luffy would play a big part. Her joining the crew is a pretty big leap.

EDIT: Don't know where, but I got the implication she would join the crew from you. If she's going to be with the Straw Hats I feel the whole thing would be isolated around Fishman Island so, nothing like Vivi going on.
    I feel she's much more likely to pull a Vivi. What are they gonna do when they have to go on land? They can take her to the surface and get her to hand over the paper once they've taken care of Dekken and his posse.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

IDK, guide feels more permanent then "pulling a Vivi" to me. Of course, I hope you're right.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Banned

I feel she's much more likely to pull a Vivi. What are they gonna do when they have to go on land? They can take her to the surface and get her to hand over the paper once they've taken care of Dekken and his posse.
    But she can't really be used to follow Vivi's storyline, since she can't fight, is a big softy, they pretty much know all they should (except for the Sea King thing I think) and there's trouble on both sides, since citizens think they kidnapped her and The Fishman gang wants to kill them and take her. If they have to take her on land they'd need to be able to get past everyone and then get to the surface, since there'll probably be a pursuit but then what? They're on the surface with literally no where to go since they can't cross the Red Line and Marines will probably be on full alert for the people that attacked the Marejois.

In short, I'd give Oda a little more credit guys

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Well, maybe Shirahoshi has the power to become a human at will And... dunno, a thirty feet giant mermaid sounds kind of useful to me, even if she's not a trained fighter.

No, but really, I don't know. It seems a bit like a setup for her joining them but there are just too many problems. And nobody joined in Skypia which had a lengthy flashback arc as well.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    No, but really, I don't know. It seems a bit like a setup for her joining them but there are just too many problems. And nobody joined in Skypia which had a lengthy flashback arc as well.
    Considering Nico only joined in the last minutes of Alabasta, and wasn't a central character until Skypia, you could say otherwise.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Considering Nico only joined in the last minutes of Alabasta, and wasn't a central character until Skypia, you could say otherwise.
    Well, yes, but the lengthy flash back about Skypia's history had nothing to do with Robin's backstory. This only happened later in the CP9 arc (duh, I know) Thus the lengthy flashback now connected to Shirahoshi's background doesn't mean she has to join... that was the reasoning I was trying to use.

26. - Top - End - #476

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Well, maybe Shirahoshi has the power to become a human at will And... dunno, a thirty feet giant mermaid sounds kind of useful to me, even if she's not a trained fighter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmmm, maybe that age-up-device mentioned by Van Der Decken in the flashback could be used to develop her to the age of 30 and make her fins split in two, thus giving her the ability to walk? I know, seems like a huge stretch, and I don't see an in-story justification, and doesn't solve the size issue, but then again, the Straw Hats should get a gigantic crew member to have a proper opposite for Blackbeard's crew member.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #477
    Banned

Should they? I don't think they need another giant character, after (Post Time-Skip)Franky anyways. They don't need to directly parallel Blackbeard's Crew, especially since it seems they weren't set up to do that in the first place (if anything Blackbeard would parallel them).

Also, which crew member are you talking about?

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

I always felt Chopper filled the giant void (pun happily unintended.)
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Should they? I don't think they need another giant character, after (Post Time-Skip) Franky anyways. They don't need to directly parallel Blackbeard's Crew, especially since it seems they weren't set up to do that in the first place (if anything Blackbeard would parallel them).

Also, which crew member are you talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    I always felt Chopper filled the giant void (pun happily unintended.)
    Have either of you seen San Juan Wolf? Bigger then Oars Jr. OARS JR.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Have either of you seen San Juan Wolf? Bigger then Oars Jr. OARS JR.
    I get the feeling Chopper's giant form has only gotten bigger, and its certainly bigger than Shirahoshi already.
    Spoiler
    Show