New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

I'm branded the artist again? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but ever since grade school I have always been the "artist". No one seemed to know anything else about me, it makes me so one dimensional.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Spoiler
    Show
    If knocking off his mask breaks the mind control, shouldn't Dominic have given it a try at some point? Oh, that's right, redemption is for non-jocks.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hi All, haven't posted in a bit, what with Uni starting again.
    Has it stopped being stupid yet?

<Checks Strip>

Aww...

In all seriousness though, I didn't mind the tentacle mountain, or the fact that Siggy managed to extract the little parasite. In a better story, those elements could have worked.

As for the sneaky gate, that was a long way to go for a dramatic non-reveal. Am I supposed to be surprised he's scarred or has razor teeth? But turns out everyone was right at the beginning when we said Karnak has lost control of his minion yet again. He really doesn't deserve to be ruler of hell.

Also, I swear it looks like Siggy dislocated both his shoulders in panel four, the torsion on the arm looks way too extreme.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

4. - Top - End - #574
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Trickster Mentor? Sweet.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

5. - Top - End - #575

Analysing Dominus Deegan

The Golden Age*
    A Frail Hope of Adequate Enjoyment
    21/05/2002 - 17/07/2002 Arcs covered: Oracle for Hire, The Curse
    The First Signs of Serious Psychological Issues Appear
    18/07/2002 - 4/12/2002 Arcs covered: The Curse, Luna, Into the Woods
    In Which Teh Great Dominus Indulges in Torture and Terrifies Me
    5/12/2002 - 21/02/2003 Arcs covered: Into the Woods, Couch Forts and Crying

Dominatrix Luna. Oh, and The Dominus is More Feared Than A Necromancer

22/01/2003 - 11/03/2003
    Arcs covered: Makeover!, Mob Mentality

Spoiler
    Show
    And we hit what seems to be filler. It can be summed up thus: People make fun of Luna. Luna is ashamed. People mock disabled boy and ugly girl. Boy is angry. Girl still ashamed.
    Given that most of these people hang around the Dominus on a regular basis, I can almost see why Dominus hates them so much. Those puns are really bad. Plus that guy second to the furthest right looks iust like the Dominus, but with longer hair.
    And we know find out that Luna has anger issues, but only on behalf of other people. I'm torn between saying this is character development in that she's willing to stand up for another person, or that she can't act to save herself, so all her pent-up hatred is taken out on the next person to upset someone she likes.
    Proof that close association with a Deegan, or multiple ones, drives someone insane. However, I like her because in the next comic we see the first real instance of noone caring what Luna's face looks like. The moment she makes a toothy pun, this will fail utterly in all senses of likeability. She's a little pervy too.
    The hell? Crack-y burns? Did a Deegan, Dominus or otherwise do this? I can see why Gregory has such idol-love for the Dominus now. I call Daddy or possible Sibling.
    Hello Domini-Luna!! Also, are those panty shots in the middle two panels? Luna pet, I know you have low self-esteem, but really? You thought fo even a split-second that outfit was suitable for anyone outside of a bedroom, strip ioint or similar? Christ-on-a-bike, this girl has issues. Plus it suggests that she's as socially isolated as the Dominus, not actually understanding what kind of thing would be suggested by that outfit. ((P.S. Has anyone noticed how close Dominus/Dominic is to dominate? Given the actions of the Dominus so far, I'm almost tempted to say that it's deliberate.))
    This strip, particularly the second panel suggests it was the Dominus that hurt Gregory. This entire section seems very much to have a 'tell your friend about your abusive sibling' vibe; hell even Luna assumes the Dominus was involved. Sadly, the previous comic shows it was iust a necromancer. Oh hey, called it, other brother. Gregory therefore has 'Daddy' issues, hence his hero worship of the Dominus. The start of darkness for the Dominus and Iacob - given what we now know about the DOminus' actions (specifically referring to his use of an illusion of Gregory) he enioys seeing people hurt, but (at this point) not having to deal with people being hurt. Thus fulfilling his true ioy - hurting people, and successfully avoiding having to deal with people, consequences and anything not related to himself.
    Dominus is now Big Brother of 1984 fame. This is disturbing on another level. Firstly, the perverted one, but how about the fact that it shows the Dominus as completely unable to trust anyone, and willing to (ab)use his gift to spy on other people. Talk about blackmail, extortion and general evil potentiality. And the Dominus willingly does this. I don't believe this bodes at all well. And once more the Dominus exhibits homicidal tendencies to someone he purportedly cares about. The fact that Gregory recognises a glare as trouble iplies that the child has been on the receiving end of such a glare before, and given that we know Gregory is a fairly powerful white mage . . . iust what is it about the Dominus that so terrifies him? Aaaah yes, emotional abuse. Granted the Dominus has a point, but he made his (weak) little brother cry again, and despises his (powerful) elder brother.
    And the Dominus knows exactly why Gregory builds and hides in couch forts. Because he "won't accept that [his] 'brother' is an evil bastard" and the couch fort makes him regress to a happier time.
    Remember what happened iust two arcs ago? Gregory hid away in a couch fort. Therefore Gregory knows that his brother (in this case the Dominus) is an "evil bastard", but doesn't want to accept it. WHich explain why Gregory fears the glare; if his necromancer brother hurt him, imagine what a prescient sociopathic brother can do to him. Hell, Gregory misses Iacob, but he fears the Dominus! The Dominus is more terrifying than a necromancer! The Dominus even acknowledges how irredeemably evil Iacob is, but need I remind you that Gregory has, so far, shown more fear towards the Dominus than he ever has towards the brother who helped crippled him so severely? Note also that the mere mention of Iacob is enough to have the Dominus thrown out, destitute into the world. What a caring man.
    Plus he hates optimism showing his all-round negative view of the world.
    Oh, and a mov comes after the Dominus with a reasonable explanation: a sorceress tried to destroy the town centre. The readers know it was an illusion, but they do not; and I think we can agree that hitting boy with rock =/= exploding half the town. A legitimate fear, albeit one founded on their own petty actions. Besides, given how cruel we've seen the Dominus act to the people of this town, I think he deserves the mob anyway.
    Not to mention some teasing causes him to react react prophesying doom upon the entire village for tresspassing. Not for assaulting his brother, but for tresspassing on his property. Furthermore, the prophecy is of "death and doom" for everyone in the village be they innocent or not.
    Overkill.
    And the Dominus reioices in inducing terror in everyone he knows with a callow smirk and ignoring the people who were actually harmed by the villagers. The implication is that the Dominus really only cared that the villagers were annoying him and wanted them off his property, not that he cared for Gregory or Luna.

These arcs started off dull as hell, with gregory and Luna - our secondary protagonists at this point - providing zero entertainment, and it takes the introduction of a woman driven insane by close association with th Dominus to bring back mild entertainment of any sort.
    The characterisation is insipid, the implication that the Dominus was the one to hurt Gregory, even though it was proven false, only shows that characters in-universe know how cruel their Lord and Master Dominus is.
    Luna's serious self-esteem issues are once again the focus of Makeover! leaving one with the impression that she truly will do any. thing. to gain faint approval from anyone who knows her.
    The Dominus is slowly becoming more and more evil in consistent characterisation, although I feel that the Mookie intended the Dominus to be a hero. Note also the first hint of what may become Marty Suedom. The Dominus scared off a mob (estimating 100 people) without breaking a sweat through iudicious application of basic spells. And yet the Dominus isn't happy, he desires more than one village to terrorise and control.
    Rachel is awesome.

*Ages as defined by Trazoi here.

And this brings me up to the first mega-arc: Visions of Doomy Doom Doom.
    All six months of it.
    Aargh.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-09-16 at 09:00 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

6. - Top - End - #576
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So, I decided to get on this Snarker Tag thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Coidzor.
    Started Reading: Sometime in 2003-2004. Basically, as a silly highschool punk.
    Joining GiTP Thread: Hmm, I'd say around Spring 2010, will go back and verify though.
    Starting Disposition: Enjoyed it non-cerebrally as a kid. Started getting bored with it around 2006-7ish. Stopped reading around the time that the then-girlfriend started checking it out and decided she didn't like it.
    Time to Convert: About 3 days after discovering the GITP thread and reading the references being thrown about to Maltak, halfway through reading through Maltak for myself.
    Current Stance: Wondering whether Mookie is a candidate for world's greatest existentialist troll and loving the strip slays. (Halfway through the 2nd Strip Slay thread.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #577

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    I think that's Mookie's attempt at dramatic irony, but it just ends up as Narm. Y'know, as usual.
    I see them more as demon teeth, but that's partly because I refuse to consider a herbivore race as having pointy teeth.

On the bright side, we've got another happy Fangly!

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    All six months of it.
    Aargh.
    Try to enjoy it - Visions of Doom is one of the better arcs.
    Last edited by Trazoi; 2010-09-16 at 10:23 PM. Reason: quote mangling

8. - Top - End - #578
    Colossus in the Playground

Aw man, I go do homework for two days and I miss joining the Snarkrangers?

I guess I'm the character who was Cut Due To Time Constraints.

EDIT: Cirly Kit Girl - is your 'j' key broken?
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2010-09-16 at 11:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #579

Alright. If no one pops out of the woodwork, I believe that's everyone.
    But I'm still on Team Evil.

10. - Top - End - #580

Quote Originally Posted by Death Dragon View Post
    But I'm still on Team Evil.
    Well you just made my day, that's for sure.

I'll fix the list again soon.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    *checks watch* ...tik tok, Oracle Hunter. Tik tok.
    Alright then... it's on
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2010-09-16 at 10:41 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #582

AssassinGuy

Heyall,

So I'm The Spock huh. I guess that explains why DD has become Snark Bait for me. It's so bereft of logic that I have to snark it.

13. - Top - End - #583

Femme Fatale (?): Lilith
    HAHAHAHAHAHHA! *rolls off her couch laughing* Oh wow how did I earn that one? Is it even a trope! I think I like.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

14. - Top - End - #584

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHHA! *rolls off her couch laughing* Oh wow how did I earn that one? Is it even a trope! I think I like.
    waaaaaambulance incoming
    I'M DOING THE BEST I CAN OKAY
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-16 at 11:35 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    I see them more as demon teeth, but that's partly because I refuse to consider a herbivore race as having pointy teeth.
    Like wild boars? Or fanged deer?

Not trying to excuse Mookie's poor world building skills, just pointing out that there are herbivorous animals with sharp 'fangs'.

And I have no idea what my title would be, if I'd even get one.

16. - Top - End - #586

GnomeWizardGuy

A pair of fangs or tusks is fine. It's the rows and rows of exclusively pointy teeth that I find strange.

But we're back to all the weirdness I was feeling throughout Maltak, such why orc technology seems to consist of nothing to do with farming or civilisation and everything to do with killing other orcs.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As I like some of the strips, I'll lay claim to the Anti-Hero.

18. - Top - End - #588

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    As I like some of the strips, I'll lay claim to the Anti-Hero.
    There. Now both you and T-O-E are wedded to anarchy. And each other.

It gives Deme something to do.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-17 at 12:27 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

19. - Top - End - #589

But we're back to all the weirdness I was feeling throughout Maltak, such why orc technology seems to consist of nothing to do with farming or civilisation and everything to do with killing other orcs.
    It's not terribly unreasonable for a civilization to lack agriculture and technology, alongside civilizations that occur simultaneously. It makes sense IF

1) The political units are small. Without the ability to support a class of people that do not produce food, technology stagnates.
    2) Natural resources are either so plentiful that agriculture is not a marked improvement, or local plants are not suitable for domestication, precluding agriculture.
    3) There is something that is insulating you from other agriculturists. Mountain range, ocean, distance, whatever.

Okay, never mind, the orcs actually lead an absurd existence. It is amazing that they still exist, frankly, even ignoring how much the current power structure in Callan hates them. Their culture appears to be based on a cheerful ignorance of how precarious their situation is.

IN OTHER NEWS

It's a big reveal! IT TURNS OUT THE MASKED MAN WAS SIEGFRIED THIS WHOLE TIME.
    AND HE DOESN'T LIKE KARNAK MAYBE.
    Why did we need a big reveal to recap I don't even
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

20. - Top - End - #590

So, nobody cares about this about this new revelation for Siggy right? Nope? Okay.

*wanders off*

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Cirly Kit Girl - is your 'j' key broken?
    Yeah, her iay key broke off, and she realized that "i" is a perfectly suitable substitute, and both her and Thufir now use the letter I instead.

22. - Top - End - #592

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    So, nobody cares about this about this new revelation for Siggy right? Nope? Okay.

*wanders off*
    To be fair, I think they're just trying to take their minds off of the painfully cliched turn of events.

Remember, children, if you're intolerant, even if it's part of your culture and thus ingrained in your mind, you become Fantasy Hitler. There is no in between.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

23. - Top - End - #593

Hey, I got ignored again.

Wait, that's actually in-character for me! *goes back to the shadows*

24. - Top - End - #594

*wanders off*
    What revelation? The teef? The scar? The fact that he can talk and just wasn't, for some reason?
    Who makes fabulous avatars? MEMNARCH makes fabulous avatars!

25. - Top - End - #595

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    Hey, I got ignored again.

Wait, that's actually in-character for me! *goes back to the shadows*
    Nonsense, you're right there.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

26. - Top - End - #596

Quote Originally Posted by rocketpony View Post
    What revelation? The teef? The scar? The fact that he can talk and just wasn't, for some reason?
    That, and he's realized he's been *gasp* Karnak's b***h all this time, so he's gonna RAEG!
    Last edited by Humbug; 2010-09-17 at 01:07 AM.

27. - Top - End - #597

That, and he's realized he's been *gasp* Karnak's b***h all this time, so he's gonna RAEG!
    I must ask my fellow snarkers before we go in any further: Would you like some cheese with these ham-hands?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

28. - Top - End - #598

Does it matter? I say FULL SPEED AHEAD! Seriously, it's nice to see the snark threads picking up steam again.

29. - Top - End - #599

AssassinGuy

Heyall,

A pair of fangs or tusks is fine. It's the rows and rows of exclusively pointy teeth that I find strange.

It was established that they had to hunt giant man eating plants for food. With bows and arrows as opposed to something that makes sense like fire and axes/saws. Otherwise they just grow all of their food with nature magic. Meaning they are totally screwed now that the magic is gone. I would really like to see a future strip mentioning that the Orcs in Maltak starved to death despite Maltak's rebirth because they couldn't figure out agricultural techniques in time. Or they were all eaten by the revived man eating plants.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Man, this arc is soooo boring. I'm gonna talk about other stuff.

I'm branded the artist again? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but ever since grade school I have always been the "artist". No one seemed to know anything else about me, it makes me so one dimensional.
    You could try sculpture. Hiyo!

((P.S. Has anyone noticed how close Dominus/Dominic is to dominate? Given the actions of the Dominus so far, I'm almost tempted to say that it's deliberate.))
    Dominus is Latin for "lord," and I assume it and dominate have similar roots.

All six months of it.
    Aargh.
    Heh. See, from our point of view, that's fairly peanuts. Stuff actually happened in that arc. The vacation arc was a lot of filler, but Maltak was a veritable behemoth, over a year and nothing. Happened.

Some of this stuff you're saying about Dominic being evil is uncannily spot on. After reading further into the comic you should go back and read these, just to see how right you are.

I'M DOING THE BEST I CAN OKAY
    Why didn't you make me The Fangirl? It was SO OBVIOUS. GOD!

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns