New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

Cannon contain does not work if you scout the forge first and put a drone on patrol at the ramp.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Cannon contain does not work if you scout the forge first and put a drone on patrol at the ramp.
    The fun bit is when you find where their overlord isn't sighting and drop a cannon so it finishes about the same time as their expo does. Or just wall it in with pylons behind their mineral line. So much fun to do that.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

but now you've got one drone scouting, one drone morphing into your expo, and one drone patrolling the ramp, all while you're sitting at 12. The toss is going to pull ahead of you, see that you're fast expanding, and swap into proxy gate.

Also, yes, putting 3 or 4 pylons behind the mineral line into cannons is pretty ruthless, and requires some on-the-ball management to counter. That or you just swarm the toss base with your workers and a couple military units, because it's costing them 6-700 minerals to do.
    If you can keep a couple workers out of range and stock up 400 minerals for when you're done, you can expand and mop up the cannons after. Makes for very short 1v1's, it's brutally effective in 2v2 tho. (Because your ally covers your butt from the counter)

Also: What's with people in 2v2 just giving up the second your opponents attack? Like "Oh, well. They got my expo. Guess I give up now."

If the enemy attacks your Expo, push into their main and kill workers/tech/pop. It's easy. I've had a number of allies ask me what I'm doing in the enemy base when the enemy is attacking me, the answer is "Winning". Maybe in high-level play you're screwed if the enemy pulls ahead, but in gold/silver/bronze? Come on.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thiyr View Post
    The fun bit is when you find where their overlord isn't sighting and drop a cannon so it finishes about the same time as their expo does. Or just wall it in with pylons behind their mineral line. So much fun to do that.
    Yes, which is why probes doing sneaky things inside my base make me paranoid. Those sorts aren't undefeatable, but they are royal pains in the rear. I usually shift my overlord around to make sure he's sighting on that probe.

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    but now you've got one drone scouting, one drone morphing into your expo, and one drone patrolling the ramp, all while you're sitting at 12. The toss is going to pull ahead of you, see that you're fast expanding, and swap into proxy gate.
    The forge isn't going to be done until my pool is starting, so I have 15 drones, of which 1 is scouting and 1 makes a brief trip to keep my ramp to keep from getting cannoned. I am also Zerg, so I can devote 100% of my larva to drones if I want and he can't put on any early pressure due to his FFE. I'll take a short dip in my econ since I'll catch right back up in a minute or less.

Once my hatch finishes, there is no way a cannon rush can actually kill anything critical unless I let it. Firstly, because of creep spread quickly making it impossible to place cannons in critical locations. Secondly, because my pool finishes shortly thereafter and I will have spines and a few lings.

That proxy gate nonsense? I only send the drone to patrol the ramp if I see a forge or wierd probe behavior, so to proxy gate me he's gonna be very late with his first zealots. My spines will be up, I will have a queen (now with 5 range!) and some lings, and he'll be stuck with 2 gateways out in the middle of nowhere. I'm fine with that situation.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, which is why probes doing sneaky things inside my base make me paranoid. Those sorts aren't undefeatable, but they are royal pains in the rear. I usually shift my overlord around to make sure he's sighting on that probe.

The forge isn't going to be done until my pool is starting, so I have 15 drones, of which 1 is scouting and 1 makes a brief trip to keep my ramp to keep from getting cannoned. I am also Zerg, so I can devote 100% of my larva to drones if I want and he can't put on any early pressure due to his FFE. I'll take a short dip in my econ since I'll catch right back up in a minute or less.

Once my hatch finishes, there is no way a cannon rush can actually kill anything critical unless I let it. Firstly, because of creep spread quickly making it impossible to place cannons in critical locations. Secondly, because my pool finishes shortly thereafter and I will have spines and a few lings.

That proxy gate nonsense? I only send the drone to patrol the ramp if I see a forge or wierd probe behavior, so to proxy gate me he's gonna be very late with his first zealots. My spines will be up, I will have a queen (now with 5 range!) and some lings, and he'll be stuck with 2 gateways out in the middle of nowhere. I'm fine with that situation.
    I was wanting to say something like this. But given that I'm:
    1) Still gold
    2) Haven't played in a while
    and
    3) Have not had any opponent do that strat to me
    I felt like it would be unfair to try and defend that situation. But I thought that if they put down forge first, pool should be done before gate finishes.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Here is a warning to all Toss players on the internet: If you delay a Zerg's natural, take another base. Otherwise, he might do this to you. I came back from a 20 worker deficit. 20!

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Here is a warning to all Toss players on the internet: If you delay a Zerg's natural, take another base. Otherwise, he might do this to you. I came back from a 20 worker deficit. 20!
    I wish I could watch it. Just reading it caused me to laugh out loud.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

How do you not lose your natural if the toss goes forge first and puts 1-2 cannons and a wall in your naturals mineral line?

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

The new pro strat in ZvT is Queen-broodlord with infestor support. Gas goes into broodlords and infestors; minerals into queens. Queens tank ground fire, provide cover for infestors, heal fliers, and do tons of damage to any vikings that stray too close.

I saw leenock do this at MLG last year, and it was AWESOME and UNSTOPPABLE. Now, my question is, why has it taken so long for the meta game to change? Was ghost nerf necessary first? Does queen range 5 buff mean that reactor hellion and bunker rush can't pressure zerg early game, allowing them to drone up much faster?

Lastly, what does terran do in response? Drop more? Get hunter seeker missile tech path when spire is scouted (before hive tech, obviously, otherwise too late)?

Late game zergs seem really, really vulnerable to harass- why dont we see more spine crawler/spore crawler defenses at expos? Zerg tend to float a lot of minerals and often have a larvae deficiency when trying to remax. 4 marauders or 8 marines (3/3 with stim) dropping out of a medivac will burn a hatchery very quickly.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddles View Post
    Late game zergs seem really, really vulnerable to harass- why dont we see more spine crawler/spore crawler defenses at expos? Zerg tend to float a lot of minerals and often have a larvae deficiency when trying to remax. 4 marauders or 8 marines (3/3 with stim) dropping out of a medivac will burn a hatchery very quickly.
    I read a post similar to this (on these boards, maybe?) that was similar: encouraging building multiple of the same tech structures (as opposed to massing defenses) so that if the dread 8-rauder drop comes; one can still shrug it off.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Its hard dealing with drops with spines because terran drops have such a high mobility, ie he just drops somewhere else and attacks at a angle. And a couple of spines are nothing to 3/3 infantry with stim.

That said I usually put a spine or two and a spore to prevent drops behind the mineral line to discourage drops there. So if they come they won't get stuck behind minerals and the lings can get to them.

I also try and keep a pack of 8-10 mutas alive late game to intercept drops.

Late late game I can see mass crawlers in your base when you are getting broodlords as a means to free up supply.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
    How do you not lose your natural if the toss goes forge first and puts 1-2 cannons and a wall in your naturals mineral line?
    Most important thing is to keep an overlord on your hatch. This lets you watch them dirty probes. Then pull off 8 drones, 4 per side. Take more if you feel you need it and they will be able to attack. You lose mining time, they lose minerals and the ability to put on any other kind of pressure. When you kill them off, put them to mining at the natural..

I saw leenock do this at MLG last year, and it was AWESOME and UNSTOPPABLE. Now, my question is, why has it taken so long for the meta game to change? Was ghost nerf necessary first? Does queen range 5 buff mean that reactor hellion and bunker rush can't pressure zerg early game, allowing them to drone up much faster?
    Ghost nerf was vital, brood lords go from 6 snipes to 10. That is huge difference in energy.
    Queens starting energy buff is helpful to this as well. Hellions seem about as effective at containing, which is mostly what they were used for at the end before this patch.
    Bunker pressure has pretty much been out of meta for a while, unless they do the fairly all in version on ... I can't remember, a purpleish map with 4 bases. You can wall off the ramp from the natural to the rest of the map with 3 bunkers. Killed a lot of zergs that way.

Lastly, what does terran do in response? Drop more? Get hunter seeker missile tech path when spire is scouted (before hive tech, obviously, otherwise too late)?
    Drops are great. Infestor, queen, Blords are all the slowest units for zerg. They can't scramble a defense that quickly. Hunter seeker is an odd choice, I never had anyone try it against me.

Better players tend to get 3 spines and a spore per base. Then the huge wall of crawl in the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
    From experience, he cannot kill your nat with one cannon fast enough. The hatch will take some hits, yes, but if you got your pool down on time (15), it will finish in time to build 2-3 spines out of cannon range. You then pick them up and burrow them in on the cannon.

The key is preventing that second cannon from getting finished.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The new pro strat in ZvT is Queen-broodlord with infestor support. Gas goes into broodlords and infestors; minerals into queens. Queens tank ground fire, provide cover for infestors, heal fliers, and do tons of damage to any vikings that stray too close.

There is a Day9 daily for this. Hunter seekers are definitely the answer.

I'm really excited to see this terran metal vs slowest zerg army every. I may have to play some more to actually test it out.

Also weekly session is TODAY!
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Not sure I like the idea of moving slower than Terran Mech as Zerg. You take Terran apart by abusing their lack of flexibility, not by one hit KOing their base.

16. - Top - End - #406

OldWizardGuy

although it does end up as fun to watch as a toss going turtle/mass carrier.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

I'm actually really disliking the Infestor Broodlords strat that zergs are doing now. Sure it's really powerful, but it takes forever to use and you can only really engage the enemy 2 to 3 times before you've practically consummed all the gas available to you. Plus, you're highly immobile as well...

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    There is a Day9 daily for this. Hunter seekers are definitely the answer.
    I know, I watched it. I also watched a lot of actual terran pros talk about it, and they were of the opinion that HS was an answer, but a very impractical one.

To me it just sounded like butthurt terrans upset that they couldn't just build only marines all game and still win, but what do I know.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

I know, I watched it. I also watched a lot of actual terran pros talk about it, and they were of the opinion that HS was an answer, but a very impractical one.

To me it just sounded like butthurt terrans upset that they couldn't just build only marines all game and still win, but what do I know.
    Actually, this is the only thing I like from the Broodlord+infestor strat. I wanted to use the ravens more for the longest time and now I have the chance to.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Barbarian in the Playground

The funny part is that ravens are also terrans' best hope for limiting the massive creep spread we're seeing from zerg going for mass queens (which is all of the smart ones).

Considering that science vessels were a TvZ staple back in Brood War, I think we shouldn't be surprised if Terrans start to use a lot of Ravens soon. The creep spread metagame is only going to force more detection out of Terrans, and one of these days they're going to realize that they already have a ton of air and a brief tech lab swap will pay off in a big way.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Actually, this is the only thing I like from the Broodlord+infestor strat. I wanted to use the ravens more for the longest time and now I have the chance to.
    Raven play is always super exciting to watch, too.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialspectre View Post
    The funny part is that ravens are also terrans' best hope for limiting the massive creep spread we're seeing from zerg going for mass queens (which is all of the smart ones).

Considering that science vessels were a TvZ staple back in Brood War, I think we shouldn't be surprised if Terrans start to use a lot of Ravens soon. The creep spread metagame is only going to force more detection out of Terrans, and one of these days they're going to realize that they already have a ton of air and a brief tech lab swap will pay off in a big way.
    Watching the creep metagame evolve has been pretty cool. Queens are a great unit. Infuse micro is much easier than I anticipated. The only issue is keeping all your units grouped up.
    Last edited by Spuddles; 2012-05-21 at 01:13 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tomorrow is our weekly session. Is anyone going to go?

I'll probably be on playing some 1s, would love to see some of ya'll.

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by imperialspectre View Post

Terrans have scans. And with many bases, many scans available. If I'm diving into Zerg territory, I'm scanning if I don't have a Raven with me. Why? Because I remember back when Zerg players actually used to use Burrow. And now they have Banelings and Baneling mines.

Am I a bit paranoid? Maybe.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Terrans have scans. And with many bases, many scans available. If I'm diving into Zerg territory, I'm scanning if I don't have a Raven with me. Why? Because I remember back when Zerg players actually used to use Burrow. And now they have Banelings and Baneling mines.

Am I a bit paranoid? Maybe.
    If you watch pros, they do this as well. Admittably it is more to figure out enemy positioning, but still. Good habit to get into.

I can't wait to see a melding of the old zerg styles. With some bling mines, banerain for the mineral patches with the huge slow zerg army pushing up the middle at the same time.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

You ever get one of those games that tells you that something is very wrong with your play? I just had one of those.

See, I've been on something of a losing streak vs toss. My macro slips or I miss a pylon and get my third swarmed by zealots or I forget to tech to ultras. So I go into this game, playing for all I'm worth like my opponent is a grandmaster, and feeling like I'm about to die to a massive push-out by my protoss opponent for most of the game.

Then I watched the replay. Seriously? That's what was really going on? I feel cheated.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Bugbear in the Playground

http://www.sctemple.com/replay/254023/ Seriously, I was like "god, he's proxyraxing, I'm gonna get swamped in dudes faster than I can do anything, just gotta survive and I'm fine.

Wait. Where's the rax?

Really?

Really.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Then I watched the replay. Seriously? That's what was really going on? I feel cheated.
    When you contain them like that with mutas you should expand like a madman. At like 16 minutes you should have taken the top left and bottom right bases. Grab all the gases.

Also you did a remarkable job of spotting all those pylons he hid constantly around, even if you did miss one. You also should have known then that he sucked, who warps in 7 or 8 zealots to kill off the third? Thats 700-800 minerals to kill like 350 (300 for base + 50 for the drone)

Quote Originally Posted by Thiyr View Post
    http://www.sctemple.com/replay/254023/ Seriously, I was like "god, he's proxyraxing, I'm gonna get swamped in dudes faster than I can do anything, just gotta survive and I'm fine.

Wait. Where's the rax?

Really?

Really.
    Reminds me of a couple of when cheese fails.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

Just played a fun game of ZvZ I felt like sharing. Check it out. Superhero infestors, crazy roach battles, mutalisk harassment, hidden bases, me flubbing my macro left and right. This game has it all!

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think my favorite part would have to be his "meh."

Also something super easy to do that is sometimes vital is to get upgrades for range over carapace for roach vs roach. You were getting both, but did +1 armor first which isn't as ideal.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Also something super easy to do that is sometimes vital is to get upgrades for range over carapace for roach vs roach. You were getting both, but did +1 armor first which isn't as ideal.
    I wasn't intending to get into roach fights at the start. I was planning to do muta/ling as my main plan, so I got +1 melee and +1 carapace. Things didn't quite go according to plan.