New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The Nexus & City of Seven Seraphs - A planar metropolis with a new veilweaving cl

Quote Originally Posted by Biapolis View Post
    I was curious if there were any plans for an archetype/feat that changes the Veilweaving Modefier for Radiants. Mostly because I love the concept of an Alicorn [frok DSP's Bloodforge] running around in the Unicorn's Caparison set. But that Wis penalty they have hurts for those saving throws/per Veilweaving modefier effects. I mean, the concept is still cool enough to try to get to work, just would take a lot more work just playing a Vizier. Not as good support but it would work. Lol.
    We will look into this. There are already some Parity specific veils for the Steamwalkers and it would make sense that their "lifeforce technicians" could operate off of INT. We might not have the count left for that section BUT the veilweaving response has been so good we are looking at another possible expansion in addition to the content on Co7S.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Nexus & City of Seven Seraphs - A planar metropolis with a new veilweaving cl

Quote Originally Posted by NomGarret View Post
    Here's an order of operations question on Akashic Bond. Does any essence reclaimed and invested into a save-boosting receptacle (Criniere of Warding, Heart of Ygdrassil, Will of the Daeva, etc.) apply before the saving throw for any incoming condition? It's all part of the same swift action, so I wasn't sure.
    You can apply any reclaimed essence bonuses before making the saving throw, if you so choose.

Extra essence is a must-have feat for pretty much any veilweaver, and the new ones are no different. The Radiant, though, wants it at 1st level almost every time. They actually have somewhere to put it all.
    The radiant does love any essence they can get their hands on, which is pretty much just the nature of any ability that fluctuates based on party size but is balanced around individual applications.

I worried about the Nexus not getting full essence progression since they have so many veils and want to occasionally burn essence, but then reading the new veils very few of them encourage you to keep a lot of essence invested all the time. A problem I ran into with my vizier was how much I needed several veils powered up to operate. Pestilence Cloak is great, but I had to keep it fully invested since it affected my defense, mobility, and offense (boosting my Stare of the Ghaele.) The Nexus appears to have a lot fewer such veils and veil-combos, and a lot more that are fine with the base ability and binds and investing essence situationally. Boatman's Ferry, for example, only needs essence when you need extra speed.
    Obviously I've had lots of time since I wrote the vizier back in 2014 to think about how I might do new classes. The vizier really rewards planning and basically dividing your veils up so that your focus is really on two or three at a time. The Nexus was a class that I wanted to be very accessible and forgiving to new players; while the OG akashic classes are more similar to the classic Incarnum classes in rewarding research and planning, the Nexus does a lot more to provide guidance and protect the player from suboptimal choices. I actually did a lot of playtesting with new and inexperienced players to make sure that pretty much anyone could jump into a Nexus and play it however they want while maintaining a pretty steady baseline, and I think I got it there.

There's plenty of great new veils for Seer Viziers to share with allies, but one did stand out: Banelight Vortices. Is it just me, or is this strictly better than Riven Darts?
    What you should really see is that Banelight Vortices are going to be stronger against a smaller number of opponents, while Riven Darts will build up to being essentially a storm of magic missiles that will be much more useful for clearing out mooks and minions.

No, you can still shape the native ones, you just need to spend feats if you want to bind them all.
    This is exactly correct. The radiant should be able to easily cover all of their veils shaped, they're just not going to necessarily have binds for all of them. The radiant is a lot less focused on individual power and more on supporting and empowering a group (even if they have to create that group themselves), so I thought this would be a good way for them to have a solid, broad base of abilities without introducing too much individual power that would have escalated them above the other akashic classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Spheres View Post
    We will look into this. There are already some Parity specific veils for the Steamwalkers and it would make sense that their "lifeforce technicians" could operate off of INT. We might not have the count left for that section BUT the veilweaving response has been so good we are looking at another possible expansion in addition to the content on Co7S.
    As Christen notes above, we have a lot of inspiration to work with on additional materials. Co7S is already going to have a new daevic passion for Int-based daevics, a new guru philosophy, and a new vizier mystic attunement designed to make them even better at filling the party wizard role without tying them to crafting mechanics, so there's a big spread of stuff coming. We're also looking at more expansion material that won't be in the main book, so if we can't find the room in Co7S, there's a real possibility we'll find a way to cover it in another product line entry.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

It seems like the 4th tier Hells Convergence might be missing some detail. Currently it says...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexus
    Once a creature has failed their save they instantly die and the nexus can immediately use their soul to summon a devil whose total Hit Dice are less than or equal to the deceased creature’s Hit Dice...
    How long does this summoning last? Semi-permanent may be too much to ask for (but you did just pay for it with an actual soul using a 4th tier ability...) but currently it is completely unspecified. Also, is this a [Summoning] or a [Calling] effect. It can matter. Summoning is mentioned but there is a difference between fluff talk and crunch talk.

Also, what exactly is going on here? Are you paying for a devil's services through the payment of a soul, or are you turning the soul into a devil? Does this have an effect on the ability to raise/resurrect the slain contract holder? If you just paid for a devil's services with a soul, I'm pretty sure the infernals won't be happy with mortals just stealing back their currency (and would probably have safeguards against such things). If you just turned the soul into a devil I suspect that would complicate things as well.

Great job on the class overall. Great mix of simplicity and depth.
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    It seems like the 4th tier Hells Convergence might be missing some detail. Currently it says...

How long does this summoning last? Semi-permanent may be too much to ask for (but you did just pay for it with an actual soul using a 4th tier ability...) but currently it is completely unspecified.
    It's supposed to have a duration of 1 hour or until you choose to dismiss the devil as a standard action. I've added this to the working docs and the change log.

Also, is this a [Summoning] or a [Calling] effect. It can matter. Summoning is mentioned but there is a difference between fluff talk and crunch talk.
    It is a summoning effect.

Also, what exactly is going on here? Are you paying for a devil's services through the payment of a soul, or are you turning the soul into a devil? Does this have an effect on the ability to raise/resurrect the slain contract holder? If you just paid for a devil's services with a soul, I'm pretty sure the infernals won't be happy with mortals just stealing back their currency (and would probably have safeguards against such things). If you just turned the soul into a devil I suspect that would complicate things as well.
    You're consuming the soul's energy and using that energy to summon forth a devil. The soul itself is released after this process is completed, similarly to the way the Blackened Pitchfork works. If you wanted to play with that assumption and decide that you're actually selling the soul to a devil in exchange for its services that would certainly be an interesting roleplaying hook, but the core assumption for most of the soul-related abilities is that you're just using them as magical batteries.

Great job on the class overall. Great mix of simplicity and depth.
    Thank you! Making the nexus as accessible as possible without sacrificing depth or power was a major goal of the project for me.

5. - Top - End - #155

Zombie

Yeah the Nexus is my favorite Akashic class so far.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by calyst View Post
    Yeah the Nexus is my favorite Akashic class so far.
    I'm excited to see some of the other new akashic classes I've written for Lost Spheres make it into the wider audience's hands, but nexus definitely set the tone for the new classes and general presentation.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    You're consuming the soul's energy and using that energy to summon forth a devil. The soul itself is released after this process is completed, similarly to the way the Blackened Pitchfork works. If you wanted to play with that assumption and decide that you're actually selling the soul to a devil in exchange for its services that would certainly be an interesting roleplaying hook, but the core assumption for most of the soul-related abilities is that you're just using them as magical batteries.
    I gotcha on that. I just think that it needs a line to spell that out due to the nature of the ability. This is essentially the pay off for selling a soul. That the soul is freed from Hell's influence by the use of this ability is not something that would be intuitively clear. Not arguing against the decision here (allowing a quick burning off of soul energy for backup instead of investing in the soul trade and such), I just think that it needs a little more clarity.

Also, some things I noticed as I went through the veils...

Quote Originally Posted by PIT FIEND’S SHROUD
    Chakra Bind (Shoulders) [N10, V10]
    Binding this veil to your Shoulders chakra causes creatures who fail their saving throw against your aura to be frightened instead of panicked.
    I believe that the reference to panicked should be changed to shaken (unless there is a missing mechanic somewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by BABAU SKIN
    Veins of molten flame pulse beneath your skin as you become one with elemental flame.
    The flavor text seems to be for the wrong veil and has nothing to do with Babau Skin.

About the Mantle of Infernal Dukedom, it is a versatile and quite powerful veil... at level 20. Unfortunately it is so niche as to be virtually useless prior to that. This just seems like a waste. Any chance of taking some of that utility from 20 and sprinkling it a little more liberally throughout? Perhaps allowing normal SR from the beginning but providing bonus SR vs good and chaos. While we are on the SR, can we think about reworking the math in this a bit? The current SR 5 + 2/essence is a horrible trap. Even with max investment it results in an SR that is virtually auto-penetrated by an equal level caster. You're looking at an SR 13 at level 10 and SR 19 at 20. That's with max investment. Let me repeat that, with max investment it offers a defense that does not exist. Methinks that this might need some tweaking.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

I gotcha on that. I just think that it needs a line to spell that out due to the nature of the ability. This is essentially the pay off for selling a soul. That the soul is freed from Hell's influence by the use of this ability is not something that would be intuitively clear. Not arguing against the decision here (allowing a quick burning off of soul energy for backup instead of investing in the soul trade and such), I just think that it needs a little more clarity.
    Noted!

I believe that the reference to panicked should be changed to shaken (unless there is a missing mechanic somewhere).
    Looks like this is an issue that we already caught and updated in the source docs but just haven't rolled over to the alpha docs. It will properly reflect an upgrade from shaken in the final release.

The flavor text seems to be for the wrong veil and has nothing to do with Babau Skin.
    Whoops, copy/paste error there. I've updated the source docs to read "A leathery layer of slime-coated flesh oozes with magic as it forms around your body." This probably won't be reflected in the playtest for a bit.

About the Mantle of Infernal Dukedom, it is a versatile and quite powerful veil... at level 20. Unfortunately it is so niche as to be virtually useless prior to that. This just seems like a waste. Any chance of taking some of that utility from 20 and sprinkling it a little more liberally throughout? Perhaps allowing normal SR from the beginning but providing bonus SR vs good and chaos. While we are on the SR, can we think about reworking the math in this a bit? The current SR 5 + 2/essence is a horrible trap. Even with max investment it results in an SR that is virtually auto-penetrated by an equal level caster. You're looking at an SR 13 at level 10 and SR 19 at 20. That's with max investment. Let me repeat that, with max investment it offers a defense that does not exist. Methinks that this might need some tweaking.
    Reviewed and noted. I'm looking at changing the scaling to 8 + 3/essence as general SR with a flat +5 bonus against good/chaos, which should help it track better without leading to some high-end scaling issues I tweaked it down for originally.

I'll need to double-check with Christen about that change and will to wait to hear your thoughts before rolling forward, but I think that's probably the best way to tweak it without drastically changing the word count or function. I might swap the poison immunity to resistance that upgrades to immunity with the bind just to smooth the basic benefits out and keep them balanced across all types of games, but I think that should be a relatively small concern.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

Reviewed and noted. I'm looking at changing the scaling to 8 + 3/essence as general SR with a flat +5 bonus against good/chaos, which should help it track better without leading to some high-end scaling issues I tweaked it down for originally.

I'll need to double-check with Christen about that change and will to wait to hear your thoughts before rolling forward, but I think that's probably the best way to tweak it without drastically changing the word count or function. I might swap the poison immunity to resistance that upgrades to immunity with the bind just to smooth the basic benefits out and keep them balanced across all types of games, but I think that should be a relatively small concern.
    The new SR math looks great. That will provide @50% protection at 10th and 20th level which seems about right. Something that can be pushed a little higher with the right investment (feat and/or item) but penetration has the same counters, so I think that works.

Adding poison resistance would be a great idea I think. Right now it suffers from only being useful with full investment. Having a secondary benefit that is relevant with no (or minimal) investment is probably a good way to go. As far as balance is concerned, I think you're more than good as well. While the body bind is great, it is a capstone, and I really don't think that capstones should have any real place in balance considerations.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

The new SR math looks great. That will provide @50% protection at 10th and 20th level which seems about right. Something that can be pushed a little higher with the right investment (feat and/or item) but penetration has the same counters, so I think that works.

Adding poison resistance would be a great idea I think. Right now it suffers from only being useful with full investment. Having a secondary benefit that is relevant with no (or minimal) investment is probably a good way to go. As far as balance is concerned, I think you're more than good as well. While the body bind is great, it is a capstone, and I really don't think that capstones should have any real place in balance considerations.

I've implemented the updated math and other tweaks to the veil. It should feel a lot better across all levels now, though the changes likely won't be reflected in the alpha docs for a bit.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Merry Christmas to the whole Co7S team!

Quick question, will we see a full-layout release of the Radiant before the main product releases?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut View Post
    Merry Christmas to the whole Co7S team!

Quick question, will we see a full-layout release of the Radiant before the main product releases?
    Merry Christmas!

I believe that that is Christen's intent, but I'll point him in this direction in case he has a different/better answer.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Merry Christmas!

I believe that that is Christen's intent, but I'll point him in this direction in case he has a different/better answer.
    Excellent! Thank you for the speedy response...no rush on the full-layout, I'd rather it get all cleaned up and tested out before we see the 'pretty' version.

14. - Top - End - #164

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut View Post
    Excellent! Thank you for the speedy response...no rush on the full-layout, I'd rather it get all cleaned up and tested out before we see the 'pretty' version.
    We appreciate the patience. As playtesting proceeded with Nexus it became clear that each significant change or addition of veils etc required new layout work and we want to make sure that we have a fairly "final" version of the class before releasing the polished one and forcing our layout person to redo work over and over.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Are you guys intending to reprint anything from other sources? I’m mostly thinking about feats, but this could apply more broadly. Or is the goal to devote as much of the space as possible to original content? There are certainly pros and cons to both approaches.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Are you guys intending to reprint anything from other sources? I’m mostly thinking about feats, but this could apply more broadly. Or is the goal to devote as much of the space as possible to original content? There are certainly pros and cons to both approaches.
    There are some reprinted materials in City of Seven Seraphs, but to my knowledge most of those are not for akashic materials. I know Christen is reprinting the aegis class and some supporting materials since the class is a big part of the backstory of Co7S, but I ate up a ridiculous amount of page space as is with my 3 new classes, additional mystic attunements/passions/philosophies, and new veils, so while it's possible that Christen has identified some items he wants to reprint, as far as I'm aware the akashic materials included will be all original materials.

As to whether there might be reprints in future supporting products, well... possibly, assuming the product in question justifies the need. There are a couple veils referenced in new classes and materials that I wouldn't mind reprinting for ease of use (and so I can push through some updates that never made it into the original AM release), but that's all going to come down to things like page space, word count, and whether or not the product calls for it. At least as far as my piece of things is concerned.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Has there been any thought to adding a talent that would allow a character to change the weapon associated with a given weapon veil? Something that would allow you to use Loyal Paladin’s Spear of Light as a greataxe or a cestus (or whatever) instead of a shortspear. The weapon itself tends to be a fairly minor component of the respective veils and I think that it could open up a lot of interesting possibilities.

I can't be the only one who needs his soul stealing weapon to be a greatsword when he shapes Blackened Pitchfork (I blame all the Moorcock reading as a youth). This isn't to say that I think that the current weapons should be changed (infernal weapon, pitchfork, I get it), just that these things are cool (and becoming more prevalent) and there should be an option to make them fit various character concepts better.

How about requiring that the chosen weapon has to be one the character is already proficient in and has to share basic type. A light weapon can be changed into another light weapon the character is proficient in, two-handed to two-handed, ranged melee weapon to ranged melee weapon (sorry whips...).

Thoughts?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Has there been any thought to adding a talent that would allow a character to change the weapon associated with a given weapon veil? Something that would allow you to use Loyal Paladin’s Spear of Light as a greataxe or a cestus (or whatever) instead of a shortspear. The weapon itself tends to be a fairly minor component of the respective veils and I think that it could open up a lot of interesting possibilities.

I can't be the only one who needs his soul stealing weapon to be a greatsword when he shapes Blackened Pitchfork (I blame all the Moorcock reading as a youth). This isn't to say that I think that the current weapons should be changed (infernal weapon, pitchfork, I get it), just that these things are cool (and becoming more prevalent) and there should be an option to make them fit various character concepts better.

How about requiring that the chosen weapon has to be one the character is already proficient in and has to share basic type. A light weapon can be changed into another light weapon the character is proficient in, two-handed to two-handed, ranged melee weapon to ranged melee weapon (sorry whips...).

Thoughts?
    It's certainly not a bad idea. There are a couple veils (I think primarily on the Eclipse, who has some more unique options like veils that grant paired hand crossbows) where that might need some extra attention to avoid any weirdness, but I'll keep it mind and see if we can't work something in that's functional and useful.

I wouldn't really want it to be a feat since that's just "Exotic Weapon Proficiency 2.0: Save a Feat By Asking Your GM For A Reskin", unless maybe it was part of a feat that gives you a lot more flexibility in how you shape veils and akashic items in general? I may have a project in this product line that would be a perfect fit for an idea like that, so I'll definitely tinker around with it.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

It's certainly not a bad idea. There are a couple veils (I think primarily on the Eclipse, who has some more unique options like veils that grant paired hand crossbows) where that might need some extra attention to avoid any weirdness, but I'll keep it mind and see if we can't work something in that's functional and useful.

I wouldn't really want it to be a feat since that's just "Exotic Weapon Proficiency 2.0: Save a Feat By Asking Your GM For A Reskin", unless maybe it was part of a feat that gives you a lot more flexibility in how you shape veils and akashic items in general? I may have a project in this product line that would be a perfect fit for an idea like that, so I'll definitely tinker around with it.
    When I typed talent I meant Trait. My fault for posting at 6am. Yup, for the base 'choose one weapon you already know (no free feat), choose one veil, live with the decision' option I think that it would be best treated as a trait rather than a feat. Having an additional, and more versatile, feat option would be interesting as well.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

What's the ETA on this book, exactly? It sounds really interesting, especially if there's going to be new stuff for the Aegis to use.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    What's the ETA on this book, exactly? It sounds really interesting, especially if there's going to be new stuff for the Aegis to use.
    more importantly whats the eta on eclipse from previous posts i think we have reaper from overwatch in our hands( and maybe that annoying tracer) with winter fae powers none less looks like money well spend for me already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

22. - Top - End - #172

NecromancerGuy

Our stated delivery in the Kickstarter is August of 2018. We are currently ahead of schedule for that but as that this will be out first print book we hesitate to say for certain by how much we can beat that goal. Either way, the PDF backers should see it a bit earlier than that (shortly after print submission and review). Backers will see a couple other goodies over the next months. We are adding some customization options for Aegis and some other ways to use the class particularly when multi-classing with other classes. Thanks for your support and patience!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Spheres View Post
    Our stated delivery in the Kickstarter is August of 2018. We are currently ahead of schedule for that but as that this will be out first print book we hesitate to say for certain by how much we can beat that goal. Either way, the PDF backers should see it a bit earlier than that (shortly after print submission and review). Backers will see a couple other goodies over the next months. We are adding some customization options for Aegis and some other ways to use the class particularly when multi-classing with other classes. Thanks for your support and patience!
    Is it too late to be a backer, or do I have to pre-order?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it too late to be a backer, or do I have to pre-order?
    Pre-ordering through Backerkit will get you access to many of the same benefits as Kickstarter backers. Obviously things like the early-bird pricing and tier-specific rewards aren't available, but access to the Nexus and Radiant betas and other goodies that will be coming out will still be made available to you. You'll have a slight delay in receiving those offerings since there's a manual step involved and you won't have access to the Kickstarter update links for backers, but you'll still get some cool stuff.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Question for you fine folks, I found out about this after the kickstarter was over and went ahead and pre-ordered it anyway. How do I get access to the Nexus preview? It's been a week or so.
    LGBTA+itP

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Question for you fine folks, I found out about this after the kickstarter was over and went ahead and pre-ordered it anyway. How do I get access to the Nexus preview? It's been a week or so.
    Let me bump Christen, see if he can get that sorted out for you.

27. - Top - End - #177

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Eldest, thank you for your support! We did send out some playtest docs to a few people on the BackerKit lists last week. Please check your spam folders to see if you have a complimentary mailing from RPGNow or DriveThruRPG from us. If you don't please email us here and we will get this sorted out as soon as possible.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    more importantly whats the eta on eclipse from previous posts i think we have reaper from overwatch in our hands( and maybe that annoying tracer) with winter fae powers none less looks like money well spend for me already.
    We don't have hard dates yet and a lot is hinging on the turnaround from editing and layout, but the goal is that backers are going to have some awesome new akashic goodies within the next couple months.

29. - Top - End - #179

NecromancerGuy

The Avatar of Light veil states that it grants a lucent as a servant, but the Nexus playtest document does not include the creature's stats. Will it be included in a future version of the document or just in the final release of the book?

At any rate, the new veilweaving classes and veils are fantastic. They all but beg to be put to use, but don't overshadow their predecessors. Something that is definitely worth noting, is that the increased versatility granted by so many new veils make veilweavers much more capable of competing with traditional spell casters who have a veritable mountain of spells at their disposal. I also love the organization of the veils into themed sets, as this makes selecting them for role playing purposes or to fit a general character concept an absolute breeze.
    "Across the rift of battle, a bridge of gossamer. And for one moment, it holds."

My Blog: Mostly random homebrew stuff, some assorted reviews, and a list of my published works.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

There actually was a Lucent stats sidebar in the earlier Nexus release. Not sure how findable that is if you’re a later backer, but I’m sure it can be done.

Their key bits are that they get a light electric blast and fly speed, both of which can be improved with essence, and they can take essence burn to heal adjacent creatures. It makes it a pretty attractive veil for low levels, when you don’t have enough veils to rely on overspecialized ones.