New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #873 - The Discussion Thread

This speedy update pace is bliss!
    Avatar drawn by the extraordinarily talented Ceika!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I felt like registering to comment on this strip (hence my username). I've considered registering at some other points, but never felt motivated enough until now. I'm enjoying the combat between Durkon and Malack and I'm glad Durkon is getting to battle in great detail. He seems to play a support role in a lot of the fights, so its fun seeing him play a more primary role.

I've been reading Oots a while now (I forget which strip, but it was probably some time during the party's separation) and it's always nice when it updates. The rapid-fire updates of these last few days have been surprising and pleasant. I'm not saying this to sound impatient, I just enjoy reading this strip. I'm looking forward to seeing how this fight concludes, and it could go either way - Tarquin or somebody else could show up and change the course of the battle, or Malack could have some hidden spell. I'm kind of hoping neither of them dies, but I'll have to just wait and see what happens.
    Last edited by 873; 2013-02-27 at 03:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

What an awesome fight.

And I'm glad the Giant is back on his feet (er, thumbs) again.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xelbiuj View Post
    Sweet.

Why did people think Malack was going to straight own him again?

The poison reminds me of the other topic.
    Lirian didn't know poison was ineffective against undead, Malack didn't know it was ineffective against dwarfs.

What's with the high level adventurers screwing up poison? lol
    Failed monster knowledge check. I mean it appears pretty clear that there aren't a TON of dwarves living in the overland. It's quite possible that Malak has not had a ton of contact with them.

It's interesting to see characters mess up something that a player never would because you can't help but metagame even if you try to avoid it.
    - Everything I tell you is a Lie -

OotS Avatar by Ceika/wolfshonor
    Erfworld Avatar by Urodivoi
    Ponytar by Elemental

Alex Star

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Prediction:

Spoiler
    Show
    Malack has maneuverability as an advantage. He can fly, and durkon is a slow dwarf. His best option right now is to run away, regenerate, and then come back. Durkon will eventually run out of spell slots (although the readers know that right now he's saving a planar ally to hold the Gate). If he can bolster himself with cleric buff spells, or make a few new vampire children, he'll fare even better.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

There's an off chance that Durkon just one-shot Malack. And by chance, I mean it's almost guaranteed if Malack has less than max health and Durkon rolled anything above minimum damage with Thor's Lightning.

150 damage is pretty rough, even when you have D12s for hit die. Even if he rolled 10s for every single hit die it's still going to be close.

So...Malack is probably down to 1 health. He'll half heal nect round, but that's still pretty bad.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2013-02-27 at 03:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 873 View Post
    I felt like registering to comment on this strip (hence my username). I've considered registering at some other points, but never felt motivated enough until now. I'm enjoying the combat between Durkon and Malack and I'm glad Durkon is getting to battle in great detail. He seems to play a support role in a lot of the fights, so its fun seeing him play a more primary role.

I've been reading Oots a while now (I forget which strip, but it was probably some time during the party's separation) and it's always nice when it updates. The rapid-fire updates of these last few days have been surprising and pleasant. I'm not saying this to sound impatient, I just enjoy reading this strip. I'm looking forward to seeing how this fight concludes, and it could go either way - Tarquin or somebody else could show up and change the course of the battle, or Malack could have some hidden spell. I'm kind of hoping neither of them dies, but I'll have to just wait and see what happens.
    Appropriate username, and welcome.

I actually got kinda pumped about this strip. Thanks, Rich!
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Star View Post
    as a T1 class Cleric is OP on it's own. Being undead actually creates the issue of adding more vulnerabilities. Sure Malak gets some nifty powers being a vampire, but lets be honest here, they didn't make him a better Cleric, all they did was make him extra-vulnerable to the things a positive energy channeler can do.

And aren't a vast majority of a vampires serious abilities "touch" effects. That would explain why Malak made the mistake of getting into touch range with Durkon.
    Well, immunity to criticals, poisons, some enchantments, and 10/silver is a convenient defensive array, even if nothing easily stacks up on offense. (The fun begins when you can grapple enemies and your wizard friends casts Cloudkill on top of the fray.)

If you are skilled at hiding your "condition", getting in close has more advantages than disadvantages. No tactic is really without risk. Trading spells from a distance is a not a great choice either -- Durkon probably has substantially more HP.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Oh man, what an awesome one. I love the action & banter!

I bet these ideas have been rattling around in the Giant's head for weeks and months, and he is finally getting to put them down.
    I can do a thousand now.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Three. And Rich would prefer people not to give him advice on his thumb.
    I kind of blundered into making that mistake last night. So let me just say that I greatly enjoyed this strip; as Roy once mentioned, Durkon'd be a pretty good warrior if he had a better head for numbers. Durkon has never been a slouch when its come to tactics, whereas Malack seems to have become complacent taking orders from a military genius like Tarquin.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

An enjoyable strip, because and in spite of its question-raising. Thanks for the updates, Giant; hopefully your thumb is faring better!

As to the plot itself, I seriously doubt Malack is "weak" enough to lose or unintelligent enough to not have a course of action if not plan.
    Also, that suggestion might stem from bias: while I like both Durkon and he and would like to see neither die, Malack is increasingly getting to be my favorite from the entire strip.
    Warm regards,
    Dire Lemming

"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

In case somebody didn't see... Here's Rich's answer on tweeter.

Márcio Teixeira ‏@zaggzaguru

@RichBurlew Is this part of the kickstarter reward that you said that you would draw a new strip everyday for 8(?) days? btw, great strip.

Rich Burlew ‏@RichBurlew

@zaggzaguru That's the hope, but I don't have all 9-in-a-row done yet, so thumb might crap out before end. If so, I'll try again later.
    Power equals power

The hero of any story can defy danger - but only a special hero can defy stories themselves.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

That's WONDERFUL!

(...and the death ward extended also to the cat is pure gold)
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Woo, Durkon, kickass!

Funny how some of us were assuming Belkar was about to die after #870, then at #872 thought Durkon was toast. I should have known tha Dwarf would put up a good fight. And yes, we get better special effects than that other duel between clerics.

I like how the last panel mirrors Malack's casting of Harm on Nale in #811, and as Malack is undead the Heal has the same effect on him. It would be a bit much to have the next comic start with Malack saying "Unnnh... I'm still... undead" and Durkon countering with "I'm na finished. Quickened Cure Moderate Wounds" though. :P

I would have expected a fizzle or some similar sort of effect to mark the failure of Malack's Dispel attempt. The dialogue of the characters makes what happened clear, but it doesn't have the same impact I feel we usually get with magic in the comic.

But that's just a little thing, and this was an exciting comic, especially as when I noticed a new comic was up I expected to see Durkon forced into a desperate defense at best. As cool and charming Tarquin and Malack can be (and undiplomatic Durkon was last comic, whether you agree with him or not), this scene makes us root for the hero, and that's a job well done.

15. - Top - End - #105

GreataxeFighterGirl

They are coming out so fast and so good! This arc is getting intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Wow, the action is coming fast and furious all of a sudden. Awesome!

And as people have already noted, is appears that the effects budget has been upgraded a bit since Redcloak was having his run. Though I suspect that Redcloak would still dominate the both of them if he were here at the moment.

He's uh...not here at the moment, is he?
    Oh my, now I really want to see Redcloak walking interacting with Durkon and Malack at the same time.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Enero Irontoad View Post
    But that's just a little thing, and this was an exciting comic, especially as when I noticed a new comic was up I expected to see Durkon forced into a desperate defense at best. As cool and charming Tarquin and Malack can be (and undiplomatic Durkon was last comic, whether you agree with him or not), this scene makes us root for the hero, and that's a job well done.
    I'm not rooting for him; it seems that such an outcome would be narratively dull at best.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I am assuming from the fact that it was the last panel in the strip that the Heal will not result in an easy victory for Durkon, that there will be some kind of twist. Oh well, at least we probably won't have to wait very long for it, extrapolating from the time between when the last few comics were uploaded.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Leave to grab some lunch and come back to a rockin' battle comic. Today is pretty sweet.

I'd like to throw my hat in the "lving Durkon's badassery" ring here.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

This has been awesome so far . I still predict Malack retreats injured and later claims either Belkar or Durkon later

Speaking of a bloody future, does anyone know how likely Belkar is to get out of Hold Person anytime soon?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brom View Post
    I think the thing I was most expecting to see was for him to scamper up a wall (Vampires have a constant Spider Climb effect) and try to sink a Dominating Gaze on Durkon.
    With a DC of, what, 17? (Feel free to let me know if I calculated that wrong.) Durkon is pretty likely to make his Will saving throw.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

I am now going to rant:

Quote Originally Posted by Brom View Post
    I expected more from an intelligent, potentially higher level Cleric who worked alongside a strategist of Tarquin's class, and had a host of vampiric abilities to draw on.
    Here's the thing: No matter what I draw in any battle scene, within ten minutes of posting it someone chimes in about how the characters are stupid for not executing this, that, or the other tactic. Never mind that said tactic would likely end the fight in one panel when it is my job to provide you with an entertaining battle scene. Never mind that said tactic may result in the person winning whom the plot does not need to win. Never mind that the fight may not be over yet. No, all that matters is that these characters are not living up to someone's imagined D&D tactical mastery.

Well, I don't give a damn anymore. The characters fight the way they fight to make an interesting page. They may make subpar decisions, I don't care. I don't spend enough time with the D&D rules anymore to eke out all of these Ultimate Killer Strategies anyway, so we're really running up against the limits of my knowledge and ability. The characters can't be better strategists than I am, and I care more about other aspects. Such strategies are usually boring to read and visually bland to look at anyway. There aren't going to be a lot of invisible save-or-die effects thrown around, because there are only so many ways I can draw characters succeeding at Fortitude saves (and then I still have to verbally explain what just happened). You should stop expecting them, because I'm not going to use them.

My job is to entertain, not to showcase perfect D&D tactics. If you can't be entertained by anything BUT perfect D&D tactics, that's on you.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

22. - Top - End - #112

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raineh Daze View Post
    I'm not rooting for him; it seems that such an outcome would be narratively dull at best.
    Meh, I don't really agree, bad guys doesn't always need to win to make a good story.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by attriel View Post
    I warded the cat, too, in case you're wondering.

LOL!
    I believe the inclusion of Mr. Scruffy to be a minor plot point that will come up later.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Also, it looks like Malack's neck wound is missing in panel 9. Though I think small mistakes are forgivable with the ridiculously fast updates recently
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is why Durkon has always been one of my favorite members of the Order.
    "Do what you need to do for your lame blue city, even if you turn a nice shade of tan for it."

26. - Top - End - #116

Holy sh*t!!!

The comic is sailing the stars in these last pages. I want moar
    Last edited by Clertar; 2013-02-28 at 10:20 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by sims796 View Post
    Meh, I don't really agree, bad guys doesn't always need to win to make a good story.
    Oh, it's not that; I just think his dying would be a shame. Malack's continuing to be around would have interesting effects on Durkon. Dying would largely reduce the chances of that.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I am now going to rant:

Here's the thing: No matter what I draw in any battle scene, within ten minutes of posting it someone chimes in about how the characters are stupid for not executing this, that, or the other tactic. Never mind that said tactic would likely end the fight in one panel when it is my job to provide you with an entertaining battle scene. Never mind that said tactic may result in the person winning whom the plot does not need to win. Never mind that the fight may not be over yet. No, all that matters is that these characters are not living up to someone's imagined D&D tactical mastery.

Well, I don't give a damn anymore. The characters fight the way they fight to make an interesting page. They may make subpar decisions, I don't care. I don't spend enough time with the D&D rules anymore to eke out all of these Ultimate Killer Strategies anyway, so we're really running up against the limits of my knowledge and ability. The characters can't be better strategists than I am, and I care more about other aspects. Such strategies are usually boring to read and visually bland to look at anyway. There aren't going to be a lot of invisible save-or-die effects thrown around, because there are only so many ways I can draw characters succeeding at Fortitude saves (and then I still have to verbally explain what just happened). You should stop expecting them, because I'm not going to use them.

My job is to entertain, not to showcase perfect D&D tactics. If you can't be entertained by anything BUT perfect D&D tactics, that's on you.
    Thank you for saying that, Giant. It's an awesome comic, and thank you so much for working on it and making it entertaining for all of us. Is this the update a day thing or what?
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Thank you for saying that, Giant. It's an awesome comic, and thank you so much for working on it and making it entertaining for all of us. Is this the update a day thing or what?
    Maybe, if the thumb holds up (Phantasm linked to Rich's words here)

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2013-02-27 at 03:42 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Doxkid View Post
    So...Malack is probably down to 1 health. He'll half heal nect round, but that's still pretty bad.
    It would be pleasingly symmetric if Malack healed himself with a Harm spell.