New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SRD Hacked?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default SRD Hacked?

So is anyone having problems with the SRD also? When I enter it just shows a weird message and plays audio. Anyone else having the same problem?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: SRD Hacked?

Yeah, seems to be a hacking group that's targeting the people that own it, BoLS Interactive, since BoLS's site has the same main page. You can still access the rest of the site, you just can't use the main page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    I want to cast Magic Missile at the darkness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, I went to check something there and it showed up as hacked for me as well.

This is the message they wrote:
    Spoiler
    Show

Code:
    ______ ___ ______ _________ _______ __ _____ ______ _____ _ _ | ___ \/ || ___ \/ | _ \ _ \ \ / / / __ \| ___ \____ || | | | | |_/ / /| || |_/ / /| | | | | |/' |\ V / | / \/| |_/ / / /| | | | | __/ /_| || / /_| | | | | /| |/ \ | | | / \ \| |/\| | | | \___ || |\ \___ | |/ /\ |_/ / /^\ \ | \__/\| |\ \.___/ /\ /\ / \_| |_/\_| \_| |_/___/ \___/\/ \/ \____/\_| \_\____/ \/ \/ Hello Administrator, How are you today? I realized that you spent a lot of time hunting my backdoors. Well... Let's play a game. Use this same effort to fix all bugs from this **** security. If you try to delete my backdoors again and I h4ck this server for the third time, I'll delete all domains. We'r: J0shua - Sup3rm4n - Mhemphis - Cr0n05 - MMxM - Arplhmd

They also embedded this classical music in the page (it automatically plays):
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/EFJ7kDva7JE?autoplay=1

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Wow...people like that well and truly make me sick...and violent

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Helinon View Post
    Yeah, seems to be a hacking group that's targeting the people that own it, BoLS Interactive, since BoLS's site has the same main page. You can still access the rest of the site, you just can't use the main page.
    I wonder what they did to deserve this. And no, you can't anymore. It returns a 403.

Quote Originally Posted by Manyasone View Post
    Wow...people like that well and truly make me sick...and violent
    Frankly... these people provide a service that many people pay good money for. It's poorly managed sites that make me foam at the mouth.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martixy View Post
    I wonder what they did to deserve this. And no, you can't anymore. It returns a 403.

Frankly... these people provide a service that many people pay good money for. It's poorly managed sites that make me foam at the mouth.
    Correction: People pay for responsible and benevolent security tests. These hackers fail both tests:
    1) They announced the security flaws to other bad actors. While informing threatened users (if there are any) is important, announcing to the public at large also tells the bad actors that those threatened users are vulnerable. (Irresponsible)
    2) They announced that they will destroy content if they succeed again. (Malice)

7. - Top - End - #7

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Correction: People pay for responsible and benevolent security tests. These hackers fail both tests:
    1) They announced the security flaws to other bad actors. While informing threatened users (if there are any) is important, announcing to the public at large also tells the bad actors that those threatened users are vulnerable. (Irresponsible)
    2) They announced that they will destroy content if they succeed again. (Malice)
    Come on... I know it's malicious. Let me have my moment of outrage for the bad admins of the world here. :)
    Especially over 2) being a threat at all.

Too many times have I seen instances of not malice, but simple human mistakes cause untold amounts of damage and headaches, because someone forgot to run the backups.

On 1), well... how many high-profile cases have we seen of responsible disclosure failing utterly.

Also, don't take this for me arguing it wouldn't have worked here. Unless you wanna banter on IT security practices.

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

Lousy security's bad, sure, though I'm not a fan of trespassers rifling through my stuff to see if they could and then painting the side of my house to let me know it happened.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

you know i literally give zero f to d20srd so gooooooooooood riddance
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    You know, some of us use it and enjoy having easy access to the resources.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    Well I guess if a site that you use for reference goes down that'll be good news too, right? 😡

And I don't think much of these hackers. Telling me that my front door lock is crap - helpful. Breaking in and taking a dump on the couch while announcing to all and sundry that it's easy to break in - not helpful, being an *******.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2017-08-12 at 01:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Come on... I know it's malicious. Let me have my moment of outrage for the bad admins of the world here. :)
    Especially over 2) being a threat at all.

Too many times have I seen instances of not malice, but simple human mistakes cause untold amounts of damage and headaches, because someone forgot to run the backups.

On 1), well... how many high-profile cases have we seen of responsible disclosure failing utterly.

Also, don't take this for me arguing it wouldn't have worked here. Unless you wanna banter on IT security practices.
    Oh do not let me deter your outrage at bad admins. We clearly see some degree of negligence on their part by allowing the same(?) exploit twice by the same group.

In fact, stack my outrage with yours.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2017-08-12 at 01:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    And I don't think much of these hackers. Telling me that my front door lock is crap - helpful. Breaking in and taking a dump on the couch while announcing to all and sundry that it's easy to break in - not helpful, being an *******.
    A bit of wrong comparison when it comes to IT security. For some companies, their business model is providing a "free" service, but selling (correlated) customer data to generate their income revenue. In a way, that is pretty sensible material that has to be handled with the utmost care.
    So it might not actually be "taking a dump on the couch", but rather "taking a dump in front of the database you keep your profiles in".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Can't. Both instances are a morale bonus.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    A bit of wrong comparison when it comes to IT security. For some companies, their business model is providing a "free" service, but selling (correlated) customer data to generate their income revenue. In a way, that is pretty sensible material that has to be handled with the utmost care.
    So it might not actually be "taking a dump on the couch", but rather "taking a dump in front of the database you keep your profiles in".
    d20SRD doesn't ask for any personal info, or even a user name. The only "customer data" it's gathered from me is "which Sor/Wiz spells get looked up more often", which I doubt they're selling to anyone.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2017-08-12 at 02:03 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Can't. Both instances are a morale bonus.
    Huh. What about stacking a competence outrage with a morale outrage?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I it me, or are they telling the admin to beef up security without beefing up security or else?

That doesn't even seem like a reasonable criminal demand, it's more of an impossible task as a setup for them supposedly being in the right when they start wrecking ****, costing a bunch of (practically?) hobbyists helping the community at large out time and money.

Smart hooligans are the worst, they overthink their stupid non-existent motivations.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. What about stacking a competence outrage with a morale outrage?
    I'm not in a position to judge your competence, so add whatever modifier you see fit there, but if I were DMing this I'd certainly give a circumstance bonus.

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

He demanded not to remove the backdoors, that's more asshat than white hat.I

I do 't inow what they expect to remove though, the SRD site sells downloadable copies of the whole SRD in the same format. Once the hackers are removed they just need to reach out to a customer and the site's up again
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    He demanded not to remove the backdoors, that's more asshat than white hat.I

I do 't inow what they expect to remove though, the SRD site sells downloadable copies of the whole SRD in the same format. Once the hackers are removed they just need to reach out to a customer and the site's up again
    As noted higher up in the thread, it looks like collateral damage in an attack on Bell of Lost Souls, although I'm not sure the actual news site server is the same server. Given that specific pages are apparently fine and it's just the index.htm files, I'm guessing some sort of script to replace the contents of all files with that name got launched across the entire server.

(Edit: It's possible the Vandalism was also a probe in and of itself- checking to see how many different websites were hosted off the one host, even.)
    Last edited by Alent; 2017-08-12 at 05:21 PM.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Oh do not let me deter your outrage at bad admins. We clearly see some degree of negligence on their part by allowing the same(?) exploit twice by the same group.

Most likely it was different exploits. The hackers probably got in with one exploit, installed a backdoor, which they used to investigate the server in more depth, found additional holes in security, the admins noticed, deleted some (but not all apparently) the back doors, and likely patched the hole the hackers used to get in. Then this happened.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

It's really starting to sound like this thread belongs in the Shadowrun forum.

Hackers and backdoors in D&D = The barbarian is coming in where you didn't expect him.

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I it me, or are they telling the admin to beef up security without beefing up security or else?

That doesn't even seem like a reasonable criminal demand, it's more of an impossible task as a setup for them supposedly being in the right when they start wrecking ****, costing a bunch of (practically?) hobbyists helping the community at large out time and money.

Smart hooligans are the worst, they overthink their stupid non-existent motivations.
    Thankfully the Pathfinder SRD is untouched, so if it does get deleted by these people, we both have the PF SRD and probably a lot of people willing to fill in the 3.5 SRD blanks from the information they have. and if the host is smart, they'll find a way to back it all up to somewhere its safe.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have the offline copy (from several years ago, but I don't think the core data has changed), so useful for me.

But I don't feel comfortable on the legality of putting up a temporary mirror.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: SRD Hacked?

I posted this in the necro thread, but I'll post it here as well.

This is a viable alternative until (if?) the issues are sorted out: http://dndsrd.net/home.html

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Thankfully the Pathfinder SRD is untouched, so if it does get deleted by these people, we both have the PF SRD and probably a lot of people willing to fill in the 3.5 SRD blanks from the information they have. and if the host is smart, they'll find a way to back it all up to somewhere its safe.
    you know the official 3.5 srd is still availale directly from wizards in .rtf, right? The information hasn't been lost or anything, just the method of presentation done by d20srd.com. As Thurbane noted, there are still other prefectly viable sources for the srd available.
    Last edited by Crake; 2017-08-12 at 07:22 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.

Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    you know the official 3.5 srd is still availale directly from wizards in .rtf, right? The information hasn't been lost or anything, just the method of presentation done by d20srd.com. As Thurbane noted, there are still other prefectly viable sources for the srd available.
    The official srd is difficult to navigate
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

28. - Top - End - #28

ElfRangerGuy

He demanded not to remove the backdoors, that's more asshat than white hat.
    Okay, points for this one, you win an internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    PFSRD recently moved to wordpress(from google sites - say what you will, but google knows security), so cross your fingers they know what they're doing. An unsecured WP instance is leakier than my shower head.

Besides, 3.5 SRD is just a buncha HTML files. No JS, no nothing(excluding the ads they inject).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The official srd is difficult to navigate
    Not denying that at all But the information isn't lost was my point.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okay, points for this one, you win an internet.

PFSRD recently moved to wordpress(from google sites - say what you will, but google knows security), so cross your fingers they know what they're doing. An unsecured WP instance is leakier than my shower head.

Besides, 3.5 SRD is just a buncha HTML files. No JS, no nothing(excluding the ads they inject).
    .js for searches, at least in my old copy. But not that those are super necessary.

It is the best organized SRD site of all the ones I've stumbled over.