New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #851 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    Don't forget, Tarquin is pretty well flanked there. There's 24d6 sneak attack damage happening too. (How'd you get 1d10 for longbow arrows? I thought they were 1d8.)
    The sneak attack damage isn't certain. For one, this particular battle has been very mobile and sneak attack's range is limited to all of thirty feet, for two sneak attack is pretty easy to bypass and Tarquin seems to have sunk a lot of resources into defense - though probably not enough if he keeps pulling reckless stunts like this one.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget, Tarquin is pretty well flanked there. There's 24d6 sneak attack damage happening too. (How'd you get 1d10 for longbow arrows? I thought they were 1d8.)
    i dont think she gets a sneak attack with a long bow even with a flank since T knows shes there

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

I thought he wouldn't attack Elan because he cared for him. I guess we won't see if this is the case or not.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Flash1191 View Post
    Was Tarquin trying to avoid hurting his son, or was he genuinely too confused to attack?

I suppose it could be both.
    I don't want to read 100-200 posts to see if its been said already, but Tarquin retaliated against everyone who attacked him (with spell or weapon), and Elan alone did not. It seems that every offensive action provoked an opportunity attack. Dunno if thats a published feat, but its pretty slick. That might be his best schtick, but I'd still hate to get full-attacked by him.
    "Be brave Tula and one day you too will be free!"
    -cledfb

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think Tarquin would be the type to find a feat that prevents him from ever being considered flanked or flat footed.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Umberhulk View Post
    I don't want to read 100-200 posts to see if its been said already, but Tarquin retaliated against everyone who attacked him (with spell or weapon), and Elan alone did not. It seems that every offensive action provoked an opportunity attack. Dunno if thats a published feat, but its pretty slick. That might be his best schtick, but I'd still hate to get full-attacked by him.
    i dunno i could see him going for a dex con build and relying on superb defense and AoO to win more then Thog style fighting

7. - Top - End - #217
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The sneak attack damage isn't certain. For one, this particular battle has been very mobile and sneak attack's range is limited to all of thirty feet, for two sneak attack is pretty easy to bypass and Tarquin seems to have sunk a lot of resources into defense - though probably not enough if he keeps pulling reckless stunts like this one.
    I wonder if it is too much of an assumption that he has Improved Uncanny Dodge?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by natrl20 View Post
    ok, but here too (as for a rogue, no doubt), archery depends for effectiveness on stealth.
    in general is archery weak w/out stealth?

if i wanted to build a high dex/high con tank archer who never hid or relied on stealth and just entered the battlefield or picked a visible high ground spot and blasted away with arrows, would that just suck?

just out of curiosity...
    In my very limited experience of D&D, I always found melee to be pathetically weak, and missile-builds to turn characters into the equivalent of automatic 20mm cannons, shredding everything in a few seconds from hundreds of feet away.

It got so that, as DM, I gave up entirely on using creatures that relied on melee attacks and equipped EVERYONE in the world with missile weapons, because they were so ridiculously overpowered.

In effect, they became modern fighting forces with bows substituting for guns (though the rules make them about as lethal a high powered sniper rifles). That was the only way I could challenge the torrent of arrows that the party unleashed the second they saw the first signs of trouble, and kept up until the last of my spear-wielding mooks and sword-carrying plate-armored bad guys pitched to the ground in the distance resembling sea urchins from all the hundreds of arrows sticking out of them.

So no, in my experience anyway, don't worry about bows being underpowered in D&D.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    In my very limited experience of D&D, I always found melee to be pathetically weak, and missile-builds to turn characters into the equivalent of automatic 20mm cannons, shredding everything in a few seconds from hundreds of feet away.

It got so that, as DM, I gave up entirely on using creatures that relied on melee attacks and equipped EVERYONE in the world with missile weapons, because they were so ridiculously overpowered.

In effect, they became modern fighting forces with bows substituting for guns (though the rules make them about as lethal a high powered sniper rifles). That was the only way I could challenge the torrent of arrows that the party unleashed the second they saw the first signs of trouble, and kept up until the last of my spear-wielding mooks and sword-carrying plate-armored bad guys pitched to the ground in the distance resembling sea urchins from all the hundreds of arrows sticking out of them.

So no, in my experience anyway, don't worry about bows being underpowered in D&D.
    i always figured bows were next to useless since there damage didnt scale with the player so the higher the level the less relative damage you do as the opponents have higher DR/health pools

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    i always figured bows were next to useless since there damage didnt scale with the player so the higher the level the less relative damage you do as the opponents have higher DR/health pools
    That's quite possible -- my campaign petered out at about 5th level because I got tired of the party I was stuck with, but that's another story. So you're probably right -- at low levels, though, missile weapons are king.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

11. - Top - End - #221

BardGuy

i dont think she gets a sneak attack with a long bow even with a flank since T knows shes there
    I'm pretty sure Bozzock wouldn't have bothered with all of this if knowing where the attacker was negated sneak attacks. IIRC, all it requires is your that your target is flanked.
    Last edited by Fitzclowningham; 2012-05-01 at 09:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Bozzock wouldn't have bothered with all of this if knowing where the attacker was negated sneak attacks. AFAIK, all it requires is your that your target is flanked.
    sneak attack with ranged weapons works differently i cant remember if you have to be in melee to get a sneak attack of a flank or if you need a melee weapon to get sneak attack off a flank

13. - Top - End - #223

BardGuy

sneak attack with ranged weapons works differently i cant remember if you have to be in melee to get a sneak attack of a flank or if you need a melee weapon to get sneak attack off a flank
    Maybe you could look it up and post it. I did, and I didn't see it.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I suspect that Tarquin could probably take the Order without V, his current wounds are not likely to be that serious given his known enchantments.

It has been awhile since we actually saw the team involved in any action. Perhaps they are getting a bit on the rusty side with all that sitting around in town, sipping tea.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    Haley had been shooting 2 (or more) arrows since forever, which practically proves she has Rapid Shot -- straight Rogue does not get a normal second iterative attack until 15th level.

Manyshot is highly plausible. But threes arrows could simply be a full iterative attack with Rapid Shot.

If we want to be rules niggling, she also in the past seemed to have some means of gaining Flank attacks or putting targets flatfooted. Presumably that is not the case here against Tarquin because three Sneak Attacks would be over 80 points of damage on average -- which should be enough for even Tarquin to wonder whether he has bitten off more than he can chew.

Yes, her bow is Icy Burst.
    Rogues get 2nd interative attack at 8th level. 3rd at 15th. Haley has been rapid-shotting with 3 arrows since the comic started.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EccentricFellow View Post
    I suspect that Tarquin could probably take the Order without V, his current wounds are not likely to be that serious given his known enchantments.

It has been awhile since we actually saw the team involved in any action. Perhaps they are getting a bit on the rusty side with all that sitting around in town, sipping tea.
    the only ones hes wounded was Roy, the damage done to Belkar is so nominal its not worth mentioning

"known enchantments"? glamer wont help him win the fight
    Last edited by Forikroder; 2012-05-01 at 10:29 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227

DruidGuy

Do DMs usually house rule in order to rectify this?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe you could look it up and post it. I did, and I didn't see it.
    That says "when the rogue flanks her target." Tarquin is most likely flanked, but not by Haley so she wouldn't get her sneak attack unless he was somehow loosing his dex bonus to AC.

edit: Also the flanking rules say "When making a melee attack" first thing.
    Last edited by thepsyker; 2012-05-01 at 10:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thepsyker View Post
    That says "when the rogue flanks her target." Tarquin is most likely flanked, but not by Haley so she wouldn't get her sneak attack unless he was somehow loosing his dex bonus to AC.

edit: Also the flanking rules say "When making a melee attack" first thing.
    as long as two charater form a straight line through a target the target is being flanked and the two characters are flanking it

judging by the direction of the arrows it most likely is a sneak attack unless shes 31+ feet away

Do DMs usually house rule in order to rectify this?
    i wouldnt really know as much as i love the game i can never find a group to play with so i havent played it much but ive read the rules enough to understand them at least

20. - Top - End - #230

so all he has to do is turn tail and run like a little girl
    Despite my titanic intellectual prowess, I am unable to discern the gender basis for this analysis.
    Don't worry V; it's just an expression meaning "Ladies? Ignore me!"
    Run like a girl? Yes I do ... the better to smite evil!

21. - Top - End - #231

as long as two charater form a straight line through a target the target is being flanked and the two characters are flanking it

judging by the direction of the arrows it most likely is a sneak attack unless shes 31+ feet away
    No... what that means is that the rogue has to be one of the two people doing the flanking in order to get sneak attack. It doesn't matter if the target is flanked unless the rogue is one of the flankers. Tarquin is flanked, but Haley isn't one of the flankers, so no sneak attack for her.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2012-05-01 at 11:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    No... what that means is that the rogue has to be one of the two people doing the flanking in order to get sneak attack. It doesn't matter if the target is flanked unless the rogue is one of the flankers. Tarquin is flanked, but Haley isn't one of the flankers, so no sneak attack for her.
    You're assuming that Tarquin is only flanked by Elan and one other person. There are two people to the left of Tarquin to set up a flank, so if Belkar is flanking with Elan, Roy could easily flank with Haley. It all depends on where she is, and if she was able to see Roy and Belkar coming (which, given her position, she most definitely would), she would simply have to move into position to get flanking bonus. I'm with Forikroder on this one.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #233

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're assuming that Tarquin is only flanked by Elan and one other person. There are two people to the left of Tarquin to set up a flank, so if Belkar is flanking with Elan, Roy could easily flank with Haley. It all depends on where she is, and if she was able to see Roy and Belkar coming (which, given her position, she most definitely would), she would simply have to move into position to get flanking bonus. I'm with Forikroder on this one.
    Yeah... Haley is almost certainly not within five feet of Tarquin in any direction, which would be necessary for her to be flanking him. Not only is she not in the shot with the rest of the people, indicating that she's farther away, but her arrows have diverged to such a point when they hit Tarquin that she would almost certainly have to be farther away than five feet when she shot them. And even if none of those things were true, it wouldn't matter, because you need to threaten the opponent's square to flank, and you can't threaten an adjacent square with a ranged weapon. So Haley, having her bow out, wouldn't flank Tarquin even if she were standing right next to him across from Roy. Heck, making a ranged attack provokes an attack of opportunity if you're adjacent to someone capable of making a melee attack, so if Haley were flanking him somehow, Tarquin would have gotten an attack of opportunity against her.

edit: Now that I think about it, Elan doesn't have a melee weapon out either. I don't think Tarquin is flanked at all in this scene.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2012-05-02 at 12:18 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    If they stay where they are, they'll die. Time to retreat until they can find some way to equalize the odds. Assuming, of course, Roy's intelligence gets the better of his ego and he doesn't simply keep slugging away at Thog to prove himself the better man -- er, biped.
    It's not just ego vs. intellect. Remember, Roy still thinks Vaarsuvius is out there, and possibly in trouble. Responsibility is going to get its vote, too.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

the only ones hes wounded was Roy, the damage done to Belkar is so nominal its not worth mentioning

"known enchantments"? glamer wont help him win the fight
    While I'm anything but a "Tarquin is omnipotent" person, I have to say that it's obvious the person you're responding to was referring to his Ring of Regeneration.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    Despite my titanic intellectual prowess, I am unable to discern the gender basis for this analysis.
    Don't worry V; it's just an expression meaning "Ladies? Ignore me!"
    Run like a girl? Yes I do ... the better to smite evil!
    so you use a rogue, someone who lacks a gender completely, and the paladin who as soon as the cards turned against her tried to run?

While I'm anything but a "Tarquin is omnipotent" person, I have to say that it's obvious the person you're responding to was referring to his Ring of Regeneration.
    he couldnt possibly, ring of regeneration doesnt help you in combat unless that combat lasts for an hour or more (or you take non-lethal damage then its marginarly useful)
    Last edited by Forikroder; 2012-05-01 at 11:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGirl

Tarquin/Not-Nale/Nale-Pop didn't attack first... here is how things went

Roy Charged, entering a threaten square, provoking an attack of oppurtunity (AoO 1), Tarquin used AoO to use Trip (most likely Improved Trip so he could make Roy use Dex instead of Str to counter it and not trigger a resulting counter AoO)
    Haley Shot, Feat/Class Ability to catch arrows used (gloves didn't glow, so not arrow snatching gloves/gauntlets) as a Free Defensive Action
    Belkar charged, entering a threaten square, provoking an attack of oppurtunity (AoO 2), Tarquin used the AoO to stab the caught arrow into Belkar.
    Tarquin gets inititative, used Improved Grapple and Improved Grab to one handed grapple and throw Belkar via the arrow he had stabbed into him
    Durkon cast a spell in melee range, provoking an attack of oppurtunity (AoO 3, BTW this is one of the manners AoOs can be provoked that is least capitalized on), used Improved Grapple and Improved Grab, and maybe Great Throw to send Durkon way out of the picture.
    Now, since his attack action was used to Throw Belkar and empty his hand, Tarquin waited for Elan to provoke an attack of oppurtunity, which implies he still had at least one AoO left to potentially make if provoked...

Combat Reflexes gives additional attacks of oppurtunity (they each still have to be provoked individually, so he could't make multiple attacks on Roy for the one provoke) equal to his Dex Mod, which is in addition to the 1 you can make every round (if provoked). He made 3 AoO and was ready to make a 4th, which means he has a minimum dex of 16, but I'm figuring he may have an 18 or even a 20 in Dex. The wielding the Axe one handed and tossing Durkon one handed imply a very high strength, so that to I see as an 18+.

BTW, seems that Tarquin also has some ranks in the skill Profession: Dwarf Tossing...

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Goddess View Post
    Roy Charged, entering a threaten square, provoking an attack of opportunity
    Entering a threatened square does not provoke an attack of opportunity. Leaving one does. Roy left a square that Tarquin did not threaten (the one ten feet away from Tarquin) and entered one that he did (the one five feet away from Tarquin). This would not provoke an attack of opportunity. Same with Belkar.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    I agree. The OotSverse is charmingly lacking in real minmaxing and in reliance on obscure material. While we expect Tarquin to have a few neat tricks up his sleeve, it would detract from the character concept if his build were terribly exotic.

(Elan gets a pass because his character concept is built around being useless. So it is funny to have a weird reason for him to be startlingly effective once in a blue moon, as long as Elan stays Elan-like.)
    Yeah, it does seem like that. But then again, in the Empire of Blood, there was talk of Warlocks and their Eldritch Blasts.
    Created Characters

Janus
    Terrin
    Martel Darlesse

Always up for a game, solo or no, can make any character, but would love to know what I'm dealing with. Either way, excelsior to adventure!

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    Yeah, it does seem like that. But then again, in the Empire of Blood, there was talk of Warlocks and their Eldritch Blasts.
    A couple of random adventurers in a brawl having non-core classes doesn't really mean much about the potential of a major antagonist having one.