New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: The GiantitpAnime Fans' Visual Novel

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Well, he does have that whole "knight" theme going on. Perhaps feeling like being honorable and noble towards an enemy strengthens his piloting, while wanting to trick and fight dirty weakens it?

Edit:

Well, I already said that energy weapons are inefficient at penetrating armor, while projectile weapons can't really penetrate shields. A shielded and heavily armored PLANT would be a pretty tough nut to crack with a melee weapon.

...how would you feel about a chainsword with energy-coated teeth?
    I like the idea; no dirty tricks for Ritt.

Also, I totally support chainswords.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

So this is Warhammer 40K - Lighter and Softer?
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGSdamn it forum maybe I have a good reason for posting all caps
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2009-09-14 at 05:09 AM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

And humans that aren't all Caucasian!
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

5. - Top - End - #335

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    I love you
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #336

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I love you
    That's my onii-sama!

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I already said that energy weapons are inefficient at penetrating armor, while projectile weapons can't really penetrate shields. A shielded and heavily armored PLANT would be a pretty tough nut to crack with a melee weapon.

...how would you feel about a chainsword with energy-coated teeth?
    Cool, but that wouldn't cover the "energy ram" attack in jet mode which slices things in two. Aren't lightsaber-style weapons usually explained as particle chainsaws anyway?

8. - Top - End - #338
    Banned

IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGSdamn it forum maybe I have a good reason for posting all caps
    You are an awesome person. Did anyone tell you that?

9. - Top - End - #339

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    You are an awesome person. Did anyone tell you that?
    No, no one ever. I think that's at the root of my many psychological dysfunctions.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    I like the idea; no dirty tricks for Ritt.

Also, I totally support chainswords.
    Hell, I'd think just a regular sword with an energy covered blade would be awesome.

No I did not steal that from SEED (Watched maybe the first 2-3 episodes and one bit where I think Lacus was talking about being engaged to one person, but loving one of the other characters on the other side of the war and said 'Ugh, I don't want to watch a soap opera mecha anime, had enough of that with Eureka 7' and I only know the sword exists there from Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2), I came up with the idea in 2006-2007 for a Star Wars RP as honestly... I don't really like the overall appearance of lightsabers I prefer swords that look like swords, not giant glow sticks. Though I'm sure I'll be tarred and feathered for saying so.

Don't get me wrong, I think the idea of light sabers is awesome, its just that the shape of the blades are kind of 'Eh' to me.
    Last edited by Kris Strife; 2009-09-14 at 01:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Hell, I'd think just a regular sword with an energy covered blade would be awesome.

No I did not steal that from SEED (Watched maybe the first 2-3 episodes and one bit where I think Lacus was talking about being engaged to one person, but loving one of the other characters on the other side of the war and said 'Ugh, I don't want to watch a soap opera mecha anime, had enough of that with Eureka 7' and I only know the sword exists there from Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2), I came up with the idea in 2006-2007 for a Star Wars RP as honestly... I don't really like the overall appearance of lightsabers I prefer swords that look like swords, not giant glow sticks. Though I'm sure I'll be tarred and feathered for saying so.

Don't get me wrong, I think the idea of light sabers is awesome, its just that the shape of the blades are kind of 'Eh' to me.
    The Strike's sword is really more like a potato peeler with a fluorescent light instead of a blade.

There's always vibroblades, like Code Geass's MVS technology (which are cool because they contract slightly and glow red).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2009-09-14 at 02:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    The Strike's sword is really more like a potato peeler with a fluorescent light instead of a blade.

There's always vibroblades, like Code Geass's MVS technology (which are cool because they contract slightly and glow red).
    The sword itself was going to actually be a vibroblade, being a StarWars campaign, again, just think an energy covered sword blade tends to look cooler than a regular energy sword.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    The sword itself was going to actually be a vibroblade, being a StarWars campaign, again, just think an energy covered sword blade tends to look cooler than a regular energy sword.
    I'm guessing the MVS vibrates so fast that it turns red-hot - I've seen plenty of other vibroweapons do the same thing, making them indistinguishable from energy weapons apart from a more defined shape (or given that they're called "Maser Vibration Swords" it could be a weaponised version of putting foil in the microwave).
    Last edited by Prime32; 2009-09-14 at 02:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    You know what, I need a new signature quote. Permission to sig?
    Last edited by Rogue 7; 2009-09-14 at 04:08 PM.
    My Blog Thing

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

What if we had something like MIRROR COATING!!!TM for weapons and armour?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2009-09-14 at 03:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    You know what, I need a new signature quote. Permission to sig?
    By all means.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you kindly.
    My Blog Thing

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

I'm guessing the MVS vibrates so fast that it turns red-hot - I've seen plenty of other vibroweapons do the same thing, making them indistinguishable from energy weapons apart from a more defined shape (or given that they're called "Maser Vibration Swords" it could be a weaponised version of putting foil in the microwave).
    Hm... Its possible, I'd certainly say that's a possibility... Man I really wish I'd gotten in on the ground floor of this... Oh well, thats what sequals are for right?

On an related, but irrelevant, note, I have a friend who blew a door off a microwave oven by putting an egg in it for like 3 minutes.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Troll in the Playground

The point of coating the blade (or teeth, if a chainsword) with a certain kind of energy is to allow it to penetrate shields. I'm thinking of some kind of sheathing that scatters DAPSs, allowing the weapon to get at the hull without getting turned aside. Remember that, with the agreed upon shielding system, a shielded object is highly resistant to anything with significant mass.

Also, why the mirror coating? I'll certainly go for it, but I'm just wondering what it's for.

Edit: Any other ideas for FTL travel? Prime brought up a suggestion about a ship making a hyperspace bubble, but we still need to explain how it all works (phlebotinum or not).
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2009-09-14 at 08:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Well do we really need faster than light travel? If we kept the world we travel in relatively small we wouldn't need it. It takes sunlight approximately 8 minutes to reach the Earth. It takes about 7 hours to travel from the Sun to Pluto when Pluto is its maximum distance away from it. We don't need lots of planets if we have artificial colonies. We could do what Gundam did with Lagrangian points and cylindrical colonies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_colony_%28Gundam%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_habitat

I'm just throwing this out here for discussion.

We could expand beyond the distance of Pluto into another solar system and still not have have FTL travel so that the vastness of space is still felt when people need days/weeks to reach the farthest explored areas.

Terraforming could also be a reason for making all of our nearby planets useful. They or their moons could be terraformed. They could also have stationary colonies built around them. The bad guys could live on Earth's moon.

You could also have hollowed out asteroids used as mining colonies and fortresses. Gundam did that too.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2009-09-15 at 02:07 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    Well do we really need faster than light travel? If we kept the world we travel in relatively small we wouldn't need it.
    Well, there's an idea. It'll certainly make our setting fairly unique, I guess, especially when compared to western sci-fi series...

It won't affect the characters and robots too much if FTL travel is removed, will it?

We could expand beyond the distance of Pluto into another solar system and still not have have FTL travel so that the vastness of space is still felt when people need days/weeks to reach the farthest explored areas.
    It'll be years, actually, if we want to use another Solar System. Which could still work: the evil cultist empire (which we still need a name for ) was founded when explorers/colonists heading off into Alpha Centauri/Proxima discovered the elder evils, and so forth, and recently came back to pillage, rape, and burn. Or something like that.

Terraforming could also be a reason for making all of our nearby planets useful. They or their moons could be terraformed. They could also have stationary colonies built around them. The bad guys could live on Earth's moon.
    That'll be interesting, especially if mixed with the "the bad guys are from Alpha Centauri" idea. It can increase the dramatic tension somewhat, since the bad guys have gotten all the way to Earth (or near it).

Very interesting ideas...I'm going to think on this. The robots are nearly done, anyway.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    Right now it takes three days just to get to the moon.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2009-09-15 at 12:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

That's true, but in the future there is not only war (and sometimes hugs) but also improved space traveling technology.

Also, vehicle armament updated in the OP.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Banned

Yes, but if we keep it unimproved enough it would still take weeks to reach Pluto. Really the solar system is large enough that we don't need to bother with anything beyond it. As for naming, i leave it to someone who sucks less at that than i do.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

All I'm saying is that fast as light travel can be plenty fast.
    I'm not saying we shouldn't have travel at or near the speed of light.
    It'll be years, actually, if we want to use another Solar System. Which could still work: the evil cultist empire (which we still need a name for ) was founded when explorers/colonists heading off into Alpha Centauri/Proxima discovered the elder evils, and so forth, and recently came back to pillage, rape, and burn. Or something like that.
    I messed up with the time needed to reach other solar systems bit there. I forgot the next closest one to our own is pretty far away. If we have an alternate universe design systems could be closer to each other.

Anyways, as for the naming of the evil empire and naming in general we could get our ideas from one or more mythologies such as how Legend of the Galactic Heroes uses Norse mythology to name things. For instance an icy planet could be called Niflheim and a fiery planet could be called Muspelheim.

Here's another question, what forms of government would our villains and protagonists have? Knowing that might help us decide on names.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2009-09-15 at 04:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

The thing is, there's nothing physically stopping you from reaching .9 or .99 times the speed of light as long as you can accelerate fast enough to be practical without dying, which puts even Pluto and Neptune within less than 10 hours from Earth.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2009-09-15 at 04:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

We still need some kind of exotic, cool-looking Phlebotinium for this to make black hole swords out of to power engines and the like.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2009-09-15 at 04:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358

On travel: what if we have only STL (if relativistic) travel via ship, but in certain places (on distant worlds or moons, or KBOs, or free floating in the cometary halo) there are gates which transport you to another system? Each system is too far away from any other for us to work out where they are relative to one another - they appear to be scattered all over the universe. In the first route, this is just how we get from A to B, and it's simply an excuse to have a few interesting locales. As things get darker, it's hinted that they're actually shifting people between dimensions, and that the other locations all have something subtly... wrong with them. And passing through them can... change people.

On the enemies: how they're organized will depend on what kind of space they control (other bodies within a single system, other systems within a continuous volume of space, other systems within a jump/shift setup as I outline above?). It'll also depend on whether they're an external enemy or an edge of human expansion corrupted by unearthed ancient evil and rebounding back towards the source.

We still need some kind of exotic, cool-looking Phlebotinium for this to make black hole swords out of to power engines and the like.
    I like the word "plasm". It's squishy and biological, but shapeless and ominous. It makes me think of shoggoths. Maybe we found this goop somewhere (near the gates?) and aren't sure what it does, but it seems to make various things go in interesting ways. In fact, it is a psychic symbiont or the concentrated residue of thought or something and it pretty much does magic according to what you will at it. And when you use it enough, it opens you up to... influences.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

On travel: what if we have only STL (if relativistic) travel via ship, but in certain places (on distant worlds or moons, or KBOs, or free floating in the cometary halo) there are gates which transport you to another system? Each system is too far away from any other for us to work out where they are relative to one another - they appear to be scattered all over the universe. In the first route, this is just how we get from A to B, and it's simply an excuse to have a few interesting locales. As things get darker, it's hinted that they're actually shifting people between dimensions, and that the other locations all have something subtly... wrong with them. And passing through them can... change people.
    I'd prefer if ships still need some kind of equipment to open the gates, but a small ship can slip through a gate created by someone else. Maybe it's a fairly large "permeable" region and multiple gates can be created in it?
    Last edited by Prime32; 2009-09-15 at 05:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

We don't actually need to say what powers our ships. We could just say that our universe uses some undefined highly refined form of nuclear fusion to reach near light speed or that we have antimatter drives.
    Last edited by nothingclever; 2009-09-15 at 06:53 PM.