New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1107 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    His logic is actually pretty solid, though: it goes like, "if the Romans didn't think it's fun to get beaten up, they wouldn't attack him".
    Unfortunately his definition for attack pretty much amounts to „is there and cleary roman” so he pretty much beats them up the moment he notices them.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

2. - Top - End - #722
    Colossus in the Playground

Maintaining an uninvited armed camp around someone's village is a hostile act. When Asterix and Obelix travel in greater Rome, Obelix doesn't attack every Roman he meets. And though there may well be some I'm forgetting, in every case I can think of, "retreat when Obelix approaches with apparent hostile intent" would have saved every Roman he's whomped.

Of course, that would probably have gotten them thrown in the circus for desertion, but that's on the Roman authorities, not Obelix.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Full stop here. Don't try to fit real civilizations into a fictional moral alignment charts. Just don't. This way lies madness. And There Probably Be Dragons as wells. mad dragons. they breathe madness.
    Yup. Just about every last one of them would swear they're Lawful or Neutral Good, while anyone they've pushed around (or vice versa) would swear they're Chaotic or Lawful Evil.

That's kind of ironic considering how much the senate kept babbling about their precious "Liberty" during the First Centuries BC-AD. Or the first European civilization to state that everyone, even slaves had souls. Or make anyone born in their territory a citizen automatically.

You are technically correct. While that is the best kind of correct, it is also wrong. They conquered people, sure but they never tried to erase anybody's culture or claimed it was inferior to theirs. Those were not wars of conquest so much as perpetual preventive strikes that resulted in ever more territory that they protected by attacking preventively, rince and repeat.
    This reminds me quite sharply: I wish a lot more people knew how similar the US has been to the Roman Republic (whether it continues to be or not).

Like you said, mad dragons await those who try to assign "good, bad, or ugly" to a civilization. I'm absolutely not trying to go there, just to describe historical parallels:
    As civilizations go, Rome and the US are practically brothers. It wouldn't have greatly surprised the Founders, believe it or not... they modeled the Constitution in part on Rome's Twelve Tables, hoping to preserve government by the people as long as possible. And it may have worked by comparison to alternatives. But current events have been very reminiscent of Rome during the period where the Republic was approaching its deathbed (but "not quite dead yet", to echo Monty Python (^_~)).

You know one thing I have grown to appreciate in Asterix is that the authors did not go the lazy route of making the romans evil invaders (despite a few Nazi parallel in the first albums) but portrayed them as people and the territory they control just as happy as the Village.
    Lazy, but human. Everyone wants to believe their actions are good, with the exception of some full-blown *-paths. And we're VERY good at finding rationalizations for our actions, even actions that others would describe as evil.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Maintaining an uninvited armed camp around someone's village is a hostile act.
    No, it is establishing a country's land boundaries. The four camps exist precisely because Rome has given up on conquering that but, and it was standard practice in RL to establish regular guard posts along the borders (such as along the Rhine). Overkill for just one vilalge? If anything, evidence suggests 4 wasn't nearly enough troops.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maintaining an uninvited armed camp around someone's village is a hostile act. When Asterix and Obelix travel in greater Rome, Obelix doesn't attack every Roman he meets. And though there may well be some I'm forgetting, in every case I can think of, "retreat when Obelix approaches with apparent hostile intent" would have saved every Roman he's whomped.

Of course, that would probably have gotten them thrown in the circus for desertion, but that's on the Roman authorities, not Obelix.
    From what I can recall there were several times someone (usually Asterix) had to actively hold back Obelix to prevent him from attacking romans.
    (Okay, some of those might've been intimidation to get informations about the latest weirdness, but there's a reason it works.)

Also, running away? I think you're underestimating how fast the big guy can be.
    And send to the Circus?
    Why would they reward people for running away?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, it is establishing a country's land boundaries. The four camps exist precisely because Rome has given up on conquering that but, and it was standard practice in RL to establish regular guard posts along the borders (such as along the Rhine). Overkill for just one vilalge? If anything, evidence suggests 4 wasn't nearly enough troops.
    To be absolutely fair, short of sending enough troops to leave the remaining Empire severely undermanned I don't think there’s any chance for the Romans not to be outnubered by the village.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-12-26 at 02:07 PM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm fine with not judging the past with modern eyes, but there's that and then there's whitewashing the Romans by saying they weren't imperialistic, that they didn't think of themselves as an inherently superior civilization or that they didn't routinely engage in wars of conquest. What sets them apart from most other ancient civilizations is their thoroughly modern view of casi belli and the fake news they'd try to sell to their own Roman Senate and People so that they'd buy into their innocent imperialistic narrative.

As for the Roman military camps around Asterix's village, they're a limes alright, but at no point did the Romans give up on conquering the village (they came up with new schemes to do just that all the time), and there were never any peace treaties. The Gauls in the village and the Romans were formally at war.
    ungelic is us

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I bet that as the result of the Divine WagerTM Dwarven Society insists that service to whatever group you belong to goes before personnal happiness, therefore if you can help your family/clan/tribe by marrying someone, ring the bels 'cause you're getting married.
    Yes, I suspect this is the most useful framework for understanding Dwarven society.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Unfortunately his definition for attack pretty much amounts to „is there and cleary roman” so he pretty much beats them up the moment he notices them.
    I, for one, don't blame him at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    To be absolutely fair, short of sending enough troops to leave the remaining Empire severely undermanned I don't think there’s any chance for the Romans not to be outnubered by the village.
    They managed to destroy the village, once, by means of siege weapons with burning projectiles (they did not kill the inhabitants, though). However, at that time, Asterix had "adopted" Caesar's son and it was an attempt by Marc Anthony or Brutus on the baby's life, which ended up with the Romans themselves rebuilding it and so on.

Which, of course, raises the question of what would happen had it not been for this deus ex machina - and, maybe, what would happen in a darker comic, especially assuming Getafix survived that attack to make some more of his magic potion.

Or, put another way, what happens when some 100-200 people (at the very least they are fairly numerous) that just lost everything BUT their main weapon (as in, the magic potion and, with it, super-strength not unlike, say, The Thing's, plus some very good running speed), people, in short, that are angry, numerous enough, powerful and with nothing to lose, decided to set their eyes on the people responsible for it...
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2017-12-27 at 07:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Had to join the forum to post this, but has anyone else noticed that Hilgya's holy symbol isn't shown after her reappearance, but her "Turn Undead" still comes from neck height, where Kudzu is? Is it possible for Kudzu to BE her holy symbol (not terribly familiar with the rules on that)? If not, could the sling be her holy symbol? Either of those would be reasons why she would HAVE to bring Kudzu into combat with her (though what she might have been thinking when making that decision is beyond me).
    Otherwise, we end up discussing what happens when you hit babies with high level "Turn Undead" spells, and that's a traumatic road to go down. It makes me wonder about Kudzu saying "Tun un deh!" as if he were the conduit for the spell.

10. - Top - End - #730

Which, of course, raises the question of what would happen had it not been for this deus ex machina
    It was set up from the very first page of the story.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Order of the Stick forum: the place where you find out that Panoramix's name in english is actually Getafix.

(I'm brazilian)

12. - Top - End - #732
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kashem View Post
    Otherwise, we end up discussing what happens when you hit babies with high level "Turn Undead" spells, and that's a traumatic road to go down.
    Turn Undead is not a spell. The answer to the question "What happens when you hit living babies with the Turn Undead ability?" is, "Nothing, of course, since they're not undead."
    Last edited by Kish; 2017-12-28 at 11:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kashem View Post
    Had to join the forum to post this, but has anyone else noticed that Hilgya's holy symbol isn't shown after her reappearance, but her "Turn Undead" still comes from neck height, where Kudzu is? Is it possible for Kudzu to BE her holy symbol (not terribly familiar with the rules on that)? This would be a reason why she would HAVE to bring Kudzu into combat with her (though what she might have been thinking when making that decision is beyond me).
    Alright, looked more into this, and I don't see any rules that say that a living being cannot be a holy symbol.
    "To grant its benefit to a divine character, a holy symbol must represent the character's patron deity or one of a group of deities the character serves.”
    "To use the symbol in this way, the caster must hold it in hand, wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield."

I could absolutely make an argument for Loki being represented as "The God of One Night Stands That Turn Out Badly." Kudzu was certainly being worn visibly. Another holy symbol was not visible.
    Want to really kick a Thor worshiper where it hurts? Turn their child into a living conduit for the magic of Loki.

Thoughts from anyone who knows the rules better than I?

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    It was set up from the very first page of the story.
    Okay, fair enough, calling it a desu ex machina was unwarranted. Still it raises the qiestion of what would happen had Caesar not offered it or, in short, had the Romans actually succeeded in destroying the village in an unrelated incident (as they clearly had the tech to) without, for that end, killing its inhabitants...
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2017-12-28 at 03:13 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, fair enough, calling it a desu ex machina was unwarranted. Still it raises the qiestion of what would happen had Caesar not offered it or, in short, had the Romans actually succeeded in destroying the village in an unrelated incident (as they clearly had the tech to) without, for that end, killing its inhabitants...
    Why not also ask the question of what would have happened if Roy had been a Wizard, or if they had hired the party members Durkon found, or if the gods of OotS hadn't squabbled enough to make the snarl?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Why not also ask the question of what would have happened if Roy had been a Wizard, or if they had hired the party members Durkon found, or if the gods of OotS hadn't squabbled enough to make the snarl?
    Because you are.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn Undead is not a spell. The answer to the question "What happens when you hit living babies with the Turn Undead ability?" is, "Nothing, of course, since they're not undead."
    Actually they get blinded and probably find it very unpleasant on their poor baby eyes. :p
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Actually they get blinded and probably find it very unpleasant on their poor baby eyes. :p
    Heh, that was a fun strip, but I just now noticed that Belkar was smiling in his sleep in the last panel.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Heh, that was a fun strip, but I just now noticed that Belkar was smiling in his sleep in the last panel.
    That was Elan...

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Elan's default expression is a smile. V's is a frown. I don't think Belkar has a default expression unless it's boredom.

21. - Top - End - #741

Okay, fair enough, calling it a desu ex machina was unwarranted.
    https://youtu.be/60mLvBWOMb4?t=11s
    (I really should have hunted down some anime girl named Makina for the best possible example, but ah well.)

(Had to drop the embed, but now it jumps to a good start point)
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2017-12-29 at 04:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    https://youtu.be/60mLvBWOMb4?t=11s
    (I really should have hunted down some anime girl named Makina for the best possible example, but ah well.)

(Had to drop the embed, but now it jumps to a good start point)
    Well, I was gonna go back there and change that typo after you pointed it out, but it would be bad form...

...desu.

23. - Top - End - #743

Well, I was gonna go back there and change that typo after you pointed it out, but it would be bad form...

...desu.
    Thank you for understanding desu - I was going to add a note admitting that it's desu not fair to pick on people for a typo desu, but I counted on you getting that I just couldn't resist.

Desu. (^_~)

24. - Top - End - #744

Adding to the old thread during a re-read... it's possible that "Kudzu" is a traditional Dwarvish name, perhaps a diminutive of something like "Kudzû-baruk". "What about it? It was my grandfather's name... the only guy in my family who understood me."

Though of course if it was traditional, Hilgya might be inclined to avoid it.

25. - Top - End - #745

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think she went the plant route to rebel against tradition.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Adding to the old thread during a re-read... it's possible that "Kudzu" is a traditional Dwarvish name, perhaps a diminutive of something like "Kudzû-baruk". "What about it? It was my grandfather's name... the only guy in my family who understood me."

Though of course if it was traditional, Hilgya might be inclined to avoid it.
    Forum rules prohibit reviving threads that have been active for 45 days.

That said, wow, I can't believe it's been this long in real life since Hilgya came back into the story. Time flies when you're having fun?

27. - Top - End - #747
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: a reminder to everyone that the correct response to Thread Necromancy (or any violation of the forum rules, really) is to report the post, not respond to it.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)