New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

smile Final Fantasy VII d20 Roleplaying Game v1.18 (Complete System - needs PEACHING)

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack :)

Right, now that i've got that off my chest, i have decided to start a new thread on this subject. i know my first attempt was overall poor but i'm determined to finish this project.

below is a link to be able to download a new completed first draft of the Final Fantasy VII Core Rulebook. i would appreciate it if you could look through it and give me some tips on how to improve it, or what needs working, etc.

so, without further ado, i give you the Final Fantasy VII d20 Roleplaying Game. Enjoy :)

FINAL FANTASY VII D20 ROLEPLAYING GAME v1.18
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2013-08-08 at 05:03 AM. Reason: change of thread title

2. - Top - End - #2

BlackDragon

Default Re: Final Fantasy VII d20 Roleplaying Game v1.18 (Complete System - needs PEACHING)

Does anyone have any feedback?
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2013-08-08 at 05:05 AM. Reason: change of thread title

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy VII D20 Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (version 1.10)

This is amazing. I really like the way it looks, I want to playtest it before I give any concrete critique.

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

Thank you. Im in the process of making the character sheet and as soon as i've finished it i'll upload it and post the link here

5. - Top - End - #5

BlackDragon

Ok, i've just uploaded the character sheet and have posted the link beneath the link to the core rulebook on the 1st post.

any more feedback for the system?
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2012-02-12 at 05:43 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you very much for making this. I've been kicking around the idea of making a D20 conversion of FF7 for years (sort of a sequel for my FFX D20 mega-project), & now I don't have to. This project that you made here has such comprehensive depth that there is no need to make my own. It appears at first glance to be a very polished project, one that bears the marks of a long thorough development cycle. Kudos.

One thing though (isn't there always): The materia chapter contains the game's status effects, but they seem to belong elsewhere. There's nothing to tie them into the materia section, & they seem like they would fit better in Chapter XII: Combat. Is there a reason for this?

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Thank you Zeta Kai, i really appreciate it. Actually, there is no reason at all. I see what you're saying though, i'll update it as soon as i can.

Anything else that needs changing or working on?
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2012-02-14 at 05:46 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

For anyone who is interested, i should have the Chocobo Racing Track up within the next couple of weeks; just making it even as we speak . Until then, does anyone else have any thoughts on the system?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

This may be more work than you're willing to invest, so I would understand if you would balk at my suggestion, but hear me out. I would propose that if you want more feedback from the forum here, you would get it much more readily if you posted your material here directly, rather than merely linking it. I speak from experience here, as I'm known, if nothing else, for very large projects.

A massive multi-hundred page PDF is a lot to digest, even if one is enthusiastic about the material, as I am. But a thread where you have posted that same material, a little at a time, would be much more easily read & absorbed, leading to a much better reception. You don't even have to put much effort into it; a simple copy/paste job would do, with a link still available to the pretty-pictures-&-format PDF version.

I love what I've seen of your work, & I want your project to reach as many eyes as possible, but I think that you need to meet the forum more than halfway on something like this. I hope that this is helpful to you.

10. - Top - End - #10

BlackDragon

thanks for your advice Zeta Kai. I must admit, that seems like the better option. My hands a tied at this very second but by tonight i will have posted most of the important chapters on this thread

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

i'm really sorry for the inconvience but i am going to take Zeta Kai's advice and post all relevent infomation in the core rulebook here to make it a lot easier for you guys to review. so kicking things off is...

RACES

HUMAN
    Humans dominate the world and can be found in virtually every corner of the planet. They are the ancestors of early pioneers, traders, travellers, and refugees. Humans have always been people on the move. As a result, they can be found on every continent and nearly every island. As a race, Humans are physically, culturally, and politically diverse.

Human hair colour varies from black to brown to blonde, and their eye colour varies from blue to hazel. Skin shades run from very pale to nearly black, and men are usually taller and heavier than women.

Example Humans: Barret Wallace, Cid Highwind, Cloud Strife, Heidegger, Rufus Shinra, Scarlet, Tifa Lockheart, Vincent Valentine, Yuffie Kisaragi, Zack Fair.

HUMAN RACE TRAITS
    Humans have the following race traits.
    Medium-Size: As Medium-sized creatures, Humans have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Speed: Humans base speed is 6 squares.
    Bonus Trained Skill: Humans are versatile and accomplished at many tasks. A Human character chooses one additional trained skill at 1st level.
    Bonus Feat: Humans gain one bonus feat at 1st level (see Chapter 05: Feats).
    Bonus Limit Break: Humans gain one bonus limit break at 1st level. Limit Breaks are entirely optional, and Human characters choosing not to gain a limit break at 1st level can choose to gain a bonus feat instead.
    Automatic Language: Basic.

CETRA
    The Cetra were the first race to appear on the planet; never settling, always on the move, to find their promised land, a land of extreme happiness. When a calamity from the skies fell to the planet, humans and other races went into hiding, but the Cetra fought against it; greatly reducing their number in the process.

During the time of Final Fantasy VII, Aerith Gainsborough was the only known Cetra left, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t more in the world; either unaware of their gifts or keeping them a closely guarded secret.

Other than their rare ability to talk to the planet, and their gift of healing magic, Cetra look and talk like any other Human. It is because of this that they can easily disguise their identities and blend in with the world at large.

Example Cetras: Aerith Gainsborough and Ifalna Gast.

CETRA RACE TRAITS
    Cetras have the following race traits
    Ability Modifiers: +4 Wis, +2 Cha, -2 Str; Cetras are generally more calmer and understandable about things, and can be highly persuasive and influential in times of need; however they do not rely on attacking others to dispute problems, choosing instead the path of negotiating.
    Medium-Size: As Medium-sized creatures, Cetra have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Speed: Cetras base speed is 6 squares.
    Planetary Whisper: A Cetra has the unique ability to commune with the planet; seeking its wisdom and advice when trouble is amassing. The Cetra can make a Perception check to talk to the planet (DC 20) and find out future information. The information can be cryptic or clear, understandable or ambiguous (left at the GMs discretion). If the check fails, nothing happens. On a successful check, the Cetra communes with the planet and receives information normally unavailable to them (depending on how noisy the area is when the Cetra makes the Perception check, the GM can install a penalty to the check to account for the Cetra not being able to hear properly).
    If the information is too difficult for the Cetra to make out, the Cetra can choose to make another Perception check straight away to make the information more clearly understandable, but in doing so results in a -5 penalty to the check.
    The Cetra can use this ability a number of times per day equal to their Charisma modifier.
    Lifestream Attuned: Cetras gain an additional 5 Mako Points at each level.
    Limit: Cetras gain access to the Geomancer limit tree, which is only available to members of this race.
    Automatic Languages: Basic and Ancient.

GI'NA'KA
    Gi'Na'Kas are a race of people who live in the Ancient Forest and the canyon of which the forest is atop of. They believe in attacking first and ask questions later; a reason why the Wolfions, their neighbouring cousins, are cautious and wary about them.

The Gi'Na'Ka are humanoid beasts that resemble Native Americans in terms of appearance. Their eye colours differ from green, brown, or yellow, and they have no hair. Gi'Na'Kas can belong to one of several tribes; however the Gi Tribe is the only known one to the world at large.

GI'NA'KA RACE TRAITS
    Gi’Na’Kas have the following race traits.
    Ability Modifiers: +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Dex. Gi'Na'Kas are highly adaptable to their surroundings and clever; however they are slow to respond to threats.
    Medium-Size: As Medium-sized creatures, Gi'Na'Ka have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Speed: Gi'Na'Kas base speed is 6 squares.
    Primitive: As primitive creatures, Gi'Na'Ka can only gain Weapon Proficiency (simple weapons) at 1st level. Gi'Na'kas cannot gain any other Weapon Proficiency or Exotic Weapon Proficiency feats.
    Low-Light Vision: Gi’Na’Ka ignore concealment (but not total concealment) from darkness.
    War Cry: A Gi'Na'Ka can command a number of allies equal to his Intelligence modifier (minimum of 1) to attack a designated target of his choice. The Gi'Na'Ka can do this a number of times per day equal to one-half his heroic level (rounded-down, minimum of 1).
    Automatic Languages: Basic (understand only) and Gi'naa.

GOBLIN
    Goblins live on Goblin Island. They are known for their cleverness and cunning, but most are seen as an unfriendly and quick-tempered folk.

Goblins are very protective of their Zeio nuts, which are only found and grown on the island. The nut itself is used by the locals in food and in medicine; however its true tendencies are virtually unknown among the Goblin community.

Goblins are short with scabby skin and features and pointy ears. Skin and hair colour varies just like humans, as well as eye colour.

GOBLIN RACE TRAITS
    Goblins have the following race traits.
    Ability Modifiers: +2 Int, +2 Cha, -2 Str. Goblins are alert and intimidating, but lack physical muscle due to their size.
    Small: As Small-sized creatures, Goblins gain a +2 size bonus on all Stealth checks and gain a +2 bonus to their Reflex Defence, but their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters that of Medium-size characters.
    Speed: Goblin Base Speed is 4 squares.
    Bonus Trained Skill: Goblins gain Persuasion as a bonus trained skill.
    Goblin Punch: Goblins are considered Medium-sized creatures in terms of unarmed attacks and gain an additional +2 bonus to damage rolls when using unarmed attacks.
    Sleepel: Once per round during combat, Goblins can cast Sleep on one target within their line of sight. The Goblin makes a Spellcasting check and compares the result to the target's Magic Defence. If the roll equals or exceeds the target's Magic Defence, the target falls asleep for 1d4 rounds of combat. The sleeping target is considered prone (see Prone Targets in Chapter 12: Combat).
    Automatic languages: Basic and Gobbledegook.

HALF-ALIEN
    Half-Aliens are few and far between. Born from either the JENOVA Project or the DEEPGROUND experiment, Half-Aliens are, to put simply, creatures with unearthly abilities are strength. They are descendants of JENOVA, who was mistaken to being a Cetra upon the discovery of its remains at the Northern Cave.

Half-Aliens look exactly like normal humans, but with several alien-esque features; such as the slim-line face, pale skin, and striking green eyes with cat-like pupils. Because of this, just like the Cetra, they can blend in and appear like regular Humans, if it weren’t for the fact that their “mako eyes” give them away.

Example Half-Aliens: Angeal Hewley, Genesis Rhapsodos, Nero the Sable, Rosso the Crimson, Sephiroth, Weiss the Immaculate.

HALF-ALIEN RACE TRAITS
    Half-Aliens have the following race traits.
    Ability Modifiers: +4 Str, +4 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha.
    Medium-size: As Medium-sized creatures, Half-Aliens have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size, however their carrying capacity is 5x that of normal Medium-sized creatures.
    Speed: Half-Alien base speed is 6 squares.
    Mimic: Half-Aliens gain the special ability to mimic other characters or monsters; essentially taking on their abilities and skills. Half-Aliens could also take on other’s physical appearances as well, as long as the target in question is of Medium-size or less. Make a Spellcasting check and compare it to the target’s Will Defence. If the check fails, nothing happens. If the check equals or exceeds the target’s Will Defence, you have access to the target’s trained skills, feats, and talents. If the check exceeds the target’s Will Defence by 5 or more, you also adopt their physical form; essentially becoming them.
    Also, a Half-Alien is able to take control of another’s body and force them to transform into their physical form (if the target in question has some of their DNA inside them). The Half-Alien must first make a Will check against the target. If the check fails, nothing happens. If the check succeeds, the target shape-shifts into the Half-Alien’s physical appearance, and the Half-Alien takes control of all the target’s actions until the target makes a successful Will save against the Half-Alien or when the target’s hit points drop to 0. When the Half-Alien makes the Will Check, he treats the target’s Will Defence as though it were 5 points less when determining the result of the check.
    The ability lasts for number of rounds (or a number of hours if outside of the battlefield) equal to your character level.
    Jenova’s Cells: A Half-Alien character gains a +10 natural armour bonus to their Reflex Defence.
    Fast Healing: A Half-Alien character regains hit points at a faster rate than normal (see the Natural Healing sidebar in Chapter 10: JENOVA and the Cetra).
    Immunity: A Half-Alien character is immune to all status-effects, except zombie. A spell or effect that inflicts the Half-Alien with a status-effect, with which he is immune too, automatically fail
    Automatic Languages: Basic.

MOOGLE
    Moogles live up in mountains or in underground caverns, choosing to live away from the hustle and bustle human civilisations. They have an obsession with nuts and some love riding chocobos; even going as far as entering chocobo races in the Gold Saucer.

Moogle's skin come in many different colours, just like chocobo's feathers; varying from white, pink, blue, yellow, and green. Their tiny wings on their back are either purple or red, but this could be because of climate rather than gender. All moogles have a long stem grown out the top of their head and attached at the end is a bright red pompom.

Example Moogles: Maggie, Meg, Mog, Mogster, Nog, Nag.

MOOGLE RACE TRAITS
    Moogles have the following race traits.
    Ability Modifiers: +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Wis. Moogles are smart and speedy, but lack common sense.
    Small: As Small-sized creatures, Moogles gain a +2 size bonus on all Stealth checks and gain a +2 bonus to their Reflex Defence, but their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of that of Medium-sized characters.
    Speed: Moogle base speed is 4 squares. Moogles have a good flight speed of 6 squares, and requires a swift action to fly and a swift action to land.
    Animal Affinity: Moogles gain Ride as a bonus trained skill at 1st level due to their strong connection with Chocobos.
    Magic++: Moogles gain an additional 3 Mako Points at each level.
    Darkvision: Moogles ignore concealment (including total concealment) from darkness. However, they cannot perceive colours in total darkness.
    Claw: Moogles can only attack with their natural weapons and, as such, are proficient with their own natural weapons instead of any other weapon group. Moogle's claw damage is 1d6 + the Moogle's Strength modifier.
    Automatic Languages: Basic and Kupo.

REMNANT
    Remnants are born within the lifestream from the flowing JENOVA cells that have fused within the planet's blood. They are unaware that they are sent by Sephiroth as pawns for his rebirth, all they know is they must locate mother and merge with her to become whole again.

Remnants appear as human, with only a few differences. They have silvery-white hair, striking green eyes, and their skin is the colour of a pale-moon's glow. Their personalities resemble that of an empty puppet, but don't let that hinder you when developing your character.

Example Remnants: Kadaj, Loz, Yazoo.

REMNANT RACE TRAITS
    Remnants have the following race traits.
    Ability Modifiers: +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis. Remnants are strong, fast, and influential; however they are one-track minded and unstable.
    Medium-size: As Medium-sized creatures, Remnants have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size, however their carrying capacity is 5x that of normal Medium-sized creatures.
    Speed: Remnant base speed is 6 squares.
    Extreme Protection: Remnants gain a +3 race bonus to their Reflex Defence, Fortitude Defence, Will Defence, and Magic Defence.
    Mindless Puppet: Remnants are immune to all mind-affecting effects.
    Spawn: Remnants gain the monster ability, Spawn (see Chapter 18: Monsters for more details); except that Remnants can spawn monsters of any monster type they choose. All other rules concerning the Spawn ability still apply.
    Attuned Senses: Remnants may reroll any Perception checks made to locate JENOVA, keeping the better of the two rolls.
    Automatic Language: Basic.

SAHAGIN
    Sahagins are humanoid reptiles with webbed feet and a large shell on their back like a turtle. Their scale colours varies from green to blue, red to purple, and most are seen using Tridents, however Sahagins are known to use any weapon that is easily available to them.

Sahagins are comfortable to build their colonies in underground sewage systems or in marshes. They are creatures of the swamps mainly; however they also have desert colonies as well. Sahagins are usually peaceful, but will attack anyone who attempts to threaten their families and homes.

Example Sahagins: Emperor, King.

SAHAGIN RACE TRAITS
    Sahagins have the following race traits.
    Ability Modifiers: +2 Dex, -2 Wis. Sahagins are quick but simple-minded.
    Medium-Size: As Medium-sized creatures, Sahagins have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Speed: Sahagin's base speed is 6 squares.
    Expert Swimmer: Sahagins are great swimmers, and can reroll any Swim check; taking the better of the two rolls. In addition, a Sahagin may choose to take 10 Swim checks, even when distracted or threatened.
    Water Gun: As a ranged attack, a Sahagin can fire a jet of water from its mouth to all enemy targets within an 8-square radius from him, dealing 1d8 points of water damage to each target it successfully hits. Alternatively, a Sahagin can target one opponent within his line of sight, dealing 3d4 points of water damage on a successful hit.
    Weapon Familiarity: Sahagins with Weapon Proficiency (simple weapons) are also proficient with the Trident.
    Automatic Languages: basic and saha.

VAJRADHARA
    The Vajradhara are a beast-like race that lives on the Wutai Island. They live peacefully alongside the humans that have settled nearby and even took up arms alongside them when they fought the Shinra Electric Power Company during the Wutai War. Most like to live peaceful lives, but there are some who would take up arms to defend their homelands; even go as far as enjoying bloodshed.

Vajradharas are large humanoid beasts that prefer to use primitive weapons, although they are capable of wielding rifles if they come across them. They have horns and their skin colour ranges from a very light blue to dark purple. Their eye colour is amber, crimson, or brown.

Example Vajradhara: Asura, Cala, Indra, Karura, Kinnara, Kumbhira, Rakshasa, Tai, Wu, Yaksha.

VAJRADHARA RACE TRAITS
    Vajradharas have the following race traits.
    Ability Modifiers: +6 Str, +2 Int, -2 Dex, -2 Wis. The Vajradhara are muscular and smart, however their reflexes are slower than that of other races and lack common sense.
    Large: As Large-sized creatures, Vajradharas receive a -2 size penalty on all Stealth checks and receive a -2 penalty to their Reflex Defence, but their lifting and carrying limits are double of that of Medium-sized characters.
    Speed: Vajradhara base speed is 8 squares.
    Natural Armour: Due to their bulky structure and thick skin, Vajradharas receive a +4 natural armour bonus to their Reflex Defence and Fortitude Defence.
    Conditional Bonus Feat: Vajradhara characters who choose the path of war gains Mighty Swing as a bonus feat.
    Vitality++: Vajradharas gain an additional 5 hit points at 1st level and each time they gain a level.
    Automatic Languages: Basic and Vajraian

WOLFION
    The Wolfion are a near-extinct intelligent species whose place of origin is Cosmo Canyon. They are taught from a young age the Study of Planetary Life and believe themselves to be the planet's defenders. The only known tribe is the Buga tribe, however there is a great possibility that others exist as well.

The Wolfion are a combination of feline and canine. Their appearance is that of a large dog but with a mane like a lion. They have fiery-red skin and a long tail with a flame on the tip. Eye colour differs from black, orange, or yellow. When they reach 4 years old (16 months in human years), the Wolfion receive their first tattoo as a symbol of their being part of the tribe.

Example Wolfions: Deneh, Nanaki, Seto.

WOLFION RACE TRAITS
    Wolfions have the following race traits.
    Ability Modifiers: +2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha. The Wolfion are strong, fast, and intelligent, however their intimidating appearance make them less approachable by humans.
    Medium-Size: As Medium-Sized creatures, Wolfions have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    Speed: Wolfion Base Speed is 10 squares due to them being quadrupeds.
    Rage: Once per day, a Wolfion can fly into a fit of rage as a swift action. While raging, the Wolfion temporarily gains a +2 rage bonus on melee attack rolls and melee damage rolls but cannot use skills that require patience and concentration, such as Mechanics, Spellcasting, and Stealth.
    A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 5 + the Wolfion’s Constitution modifier. At the end of its rage, a Wolfion moves -1 persistent step along the condition track. The penalties imposed by this condition persists until the Wolfion takes at least 10 minutes to recuperate, during which time the Wolfion can’t engage in any strenuous activity.
    Natural Weapons: Wolfions can only attack with their natural weapons and, as such, are proficient with their own natural weapons instead of any other weapon group. Wolfion's bite damage is 2d6 + Strength modifier and claw damage is 2d4 + Strength modifier. These natural weapons are classed as Simple Weapons and Wolfions are unable to take any other Weapon Proficiency or Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat.
    Limit: Wolfions gain access to the Fury limit tree, which is only available to members of this race.
    Automatic Languages: Basic and Cosmoyian.
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2012-02-22 at 06:38 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_In_Da_Room View Post
    thanks for your advice Zeta Kai. I must admit, that seems like the better option. My hands a tied at this very second but by tonight i will have posted most of the important chapters on this thread
    Be sure not to go too fast. Take it slow, post material in small, easily-digested bite-sized chunks. That will allow people to read them & respond. If they understand, then they will comment on whether or not they like what they see. If they don't understand, then they will ask questions, which you can answer, thereby providing additional insight & showing off how much you thought through your work. This will also allow you to shake out the kinks, polish the material to a shine, & troubleshoot problem areas for editing.

If you post too much too quickly, people can respond quickly enough, & you've lost your opportunity. I'd suggest posting no more than one or two major pieces a day, a "piece" being defined here as a single race, single class, or a something of comparable size. I know that seems like a long time to roll out your project, but low & steady wins the race & all that. Good luck.

EDIT: Five minutes too late. Ah well. The race look good anyway. I especially like the Cetra. Wasn't Aeris only a half-Cetra though?
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2012-02-14 at 09:18 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

thanks for your advice

Edit: She is but i thought to make it a full-blooded race seeing as the Cetra gene is the more dominant, where as the Half-Alien race are a split-down-the-middle human/Jenova hybrid
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2012-02-14 at 09:47 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

BlackDragon

does anyone have any feedback or thoughts on how to improve it?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Okay, so I was looking over the Limit breaks section and wondered, when does the limit gauge hit zero? It you have over 5 Wisdom, I don't think it does, unless you do not possess a limit break at all.

Is that how it was supposed to be?
    Last edited by Killercloud; 2012-02-23 at 06:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Killercloud View Post
    Okay, so I was looking over the Limit breaks section and wondered, when does the limit gauge hit zero? It you have over 5 Wisdom, I don't think it does, unless you do not possess a limit break at all.

Is that how it was supposed to be?
    If your character doesn't possess limit breaks, and he reaches his limit, the limit gauge automatically drops to zero after using the benefits granted in the "Reaching Your limit Without Limit Breaks" section of the chapter. If you have limit breaks, your limit gauge is reduced by -5.

In other words, yes, that was how it suppose to be, unless someone has any ideas on how to make this better then i'm all ears

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

That would mean you hit your limit every five attacks, right?

18. - Top - End - #18

BlackDragon

i never thought of it that way i should really change it to "after using a limit break, your limit gauge is reduced to zero", shouldn't i?

Thank you for pointing that out.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd think so, if you wanted to stack effects like Tifa's Limit break, those could be exceptions that say something like:

"Using this limit break reduces your limit gauge by five for the purposes of using other limit breaks of this Talent Tree next round, otherwise your limit gauge drops to zero."

Yeah, the way I was seeing it was Limit breaks would just start to loose what made them special if they were so constant.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

Thanks for that, i'll make the changes as soon as possible.

Also, i'll wait until there are a few changes that need to be made before posting a version 1.11

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Anymore thoughts or feedback about the system?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I really don't like the MP system. You will never be able to cast magic how many times you want (obviously you have a limit of how many times you can cast in a day) but you have to use them only a few times, and classes have the same Mako Points.
    I wanted something like MP in a day, that you can use to cast magic and something like that.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

i based the MP system solely on how Force Points are used in the Star Wars d20 Saga Edition and i personally think it is the fairest way of controlling how MP is gained. Of course, there are a couple of races that get additional MP at each level, but there is no limit to how many times you can cast magic, just as long as you have the MP to do so (Summons are an exception, as they are too powerful to keep casting them).

On the other hand, i do want to make this the best ff7-to-d20 conversion there is so any ideas on how to improve it i'll be most grateful
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2012-02-26 at 03:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

AssassinGuy

I think that a system that makes you use Mako Points a number of times per day instead of "I use them and they are gone until I level up" would be better.
    Something like the Spell Point system for D&D. Obiviously Mages will have more MP, Soldiers will have less.
    Last edited by edsaurus; 2012-02-26 at 05:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

ah ok, i'll have a go at it and post it here for review. Until then, anything else that needs working on?

26. - Top - End - #26

AssassinGuy

A little bestiary will be appreciated, not all the DM have the will to create an entire bestiary. :3

I think that the player should be able to equip more materias. Just 8 at level 20 isn't a great thing, I think.

27. - Top - End - #27

BlackDragon

the bestiary is already underway. As there are too many monsters in the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII, it seemed necessary to have its own document. The few monsters in the core rulebook are there to give GMs an idea on how monsters are presented.

As for the number of materia a character can equip, a 20th level character wearing armour and holding two weapons can equip 24 pieces of materia. Weapons that require both hands to hold are considered two weapons, and therefore will benefit from equipping up to 16 materia to it (going by the 20th level character example).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_In_Da_Room View Post
    As there are too many monsters in the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII, it seemed necessary to have its own document. The few monsters in the core rulebook are there to give GMs an idea on how monsters are presented.
    If you count up all of the monsters in FF7, there are 301 total (I don't count the 9 Test monsters, but I of course do include all of the arms & bosses & whatnot). That's a bit more than the 257 monsters in FF10, which I made stats for in the the FFX-D20 project. C'mon, you can do it! It only takes forever!!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

All right. This seems like it's based off of d20 modern, which I haven't played much at all.

All of the races seem too powerful. Of course, since they're all too powerful I guess they could be balanced compared to each other, which is more important than balance compared to other systems.

One thing I noticed: In the game, Nanaki got weapons like anyone else (his own, unique weapons), allowing him to keep up with the other characters without needing special rules. In your game, he will be one of the most powerful melee characters, especially at 1st level (natural strength bonus, rage, and 3 natural attacks that each deal 2 die of damage means you don't want to end your turn within this guys reach). I don't think I saw magic weapons, so the normal balancing factor is absent (natural attacks can't be enchanted) though being unable to equip as much materia might put some balance in it. If I knew more about the system I could probably break this in half (Most likely with a monk type character, or possibly a rogue type, or both)

Despite never playing in D20 modern or related systems, I have to say that for the most part this system does look pretty good. Wish I could help more.

Since Zeta plugged his system, I might as well plug the system I'm currently using. :p

30. - Top - End - #30

BlackDragon

hey, don't worry, plug all you want . Thank you for your advice. Nanaki obviously had natural weapons in ff7 and the magical feathers were enhancements to his attacks. At the moment, i have no idea on how to incorporate them so i left it at natural weapons for him.

Any help on this matter will be appreciated.

Zeta Kai: thanks, i'll make the best monster manual anyone has ever seen
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2012-02-27 at 06:07 AM.