New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tail II: Second Generation Thread Slayers

Of course a guild can be defeated but taking the "we throw police men/soldiers at them until they can not kill anymore" tactic seems like those jobs are... unattractive would be quite an understatement. Maybe they really have elite forces for such things we don't really know about yet or special tactics but from what I can see in the story they are really mostly relying on a) the guilds being made up of weak guys and b) a single guild turning evil being the possible target of all other guilds in Fiore due to the magic council.

Also, back on the Exceed business...as Jindra said, there were at leadt a few hundred Exceed migrating into Fiore after the Edolas arc. Yeah, those are still a minority but it would be very strange if they'd not be given the same personal rights as all sentient beings. (Well, humans, in that case)
    Also... I wonder if we will ever see the Exceed kingdom again... or are they really living like savages in some government hosted ghetto separated from humans?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Again, who exactly is going to come after them for it? The strongest guilds so far have all proven to be weaker than them, with some members capable of soloing entire groups of others. And, as you yourself have stated, the magic army hasn't been seen in action, so we really have no idea if they're this universe's version of Storm Troopers or not. Given how most generic guards are treated in fiction, it's probably a safe bet, though.
    They actually outright said that the normal army was no match for a guild early in the manga, but we also know there are "rune knights" that are strong enough to deal with guilds, they are the ones who arrested Jellal and tried to interfere with Fairy Tail on Tenrou Island.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

New Chapter
    Spoiler
    Show

So it was an exposition heavy chapter; but it is quite interesting, apparently the more a Dragon Slayer uses his magic the more Draconic he becomes and Acknowlgia killed so many dragons he became the Dragon. Freaking.King. My already high respect for Gildartz shoot even higher.

This arc antagonis has been revealed and I am sure Lucy will get the remaining Gold keys by the end of the arc; but the thing that bothers me the most is that I am not sure if the final BBEG will be Zereff or Acknowlgia.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

This certainly moved the plot ahead by quite a lot, though im not sure it was using DS magic alone that created the Dragon king.

To start with we were told he was bathing in their blood, that might have been influencing thing, and Zeref might also have had a hand in the transformation.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Crap I can't remember the X Dragon scales was spell/techniques by itself or if it was a by-product of using other spells/techniques. Though now that you mention it, it probably has something to do with Zereff.

Crazy Theory Time: Dragons came to be because long before the Dragon's Kings Festival Zeref* created the Dragon Slaying magic and people abused it so much that they turned into dragons forgetting their life as human!

*Not to be taken seriously.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

This certainly moved the plot ahead by quite a lot, though im not sure it was using DS magic alone that created the Dragon king.

To start with we were told he was bathing in their blood, that might have been influencing thing, and Zeref might also have had a hand in the transformation.
    My penny's worth:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hold on, the end of that chapter gave me the impression thats what those two want you to think.

What if the Dragon King came to Fairy Tail Island in pursuit of Zeref?

I'm wondering if Zeref is actually the dragon and the dragon was the dragon slayer who ended up being forcibly body swapped alowing Zeref to become the legendary and infamous sorceror he's known to be whilst the Dragon King has been left with no means of returning to his normal form and the other dragons taught their Dragon Slayers and then disappeared to try and get this matter resolved without losing any more dragons...

My reasoning is that none of the other dragons realised what had happened and assumed the Dragon King was a result of Dragon Slaying Magic gone horribly awry, given how it was discussed it wouldn't take much since a certain other character is supposed to be an alternate form of Grandine in human form to assume they have tried this before... whose to say one of the dragons didn't do this to escape the resulting apocalypse of the dragon war?

Of course there's still the matter of why Zeref claimed to recognise Natsu which I think might be important but still did any of you who read this chapter got any other ideas about this?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2012-09-28 at 09:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

I'm wondering if Zeref is actually the dragon and the dragon was the dragon slayer who ended up being forcibly body swapped alowing Zeref to become the legendary and infamous sorceror he's known to be whilst the Dragon King has been left with no means of returning to his normal form and the other dragons taught their Dragon Slayers and then disappeared to try and get this matter resolved without losing any more dragons...
    I think this is highly unlikely, seing as Acnologia's transformation was gradual.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    My penny's worth:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hold on, the end of that chapter gave me the impression thats what those two want you to think.

What if the Dragon King came to Fairy Tail Island in pursuit of Zeref?

My reasoning is that none of the other dragons realised what had happened and assumed the Dragon King was a result of Dragon Slaying Magic gone horribly awry, given how it was discussed it wouldn't take much since a certain other character is supposed to be an alternate form of Grandine in human form to assume they have tried this before... whose to say one of the dragons didn't do this to escape the resulting apocalypse of the dragon war?

Of course there's still the matter of why Zeref claimed to recognise Natsu which I think might be important but still did any of you who read this chapter got any other ideas about this?
    Spoiler
    Show

Other things to consider: who said Acnologia is the only DS to become a dragon? Igneel, and metalicono all could have been human once. I'm positive Grandine was human once though.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

9. - Top - End - #99
    Colossus in the Playground

Dragons dragons dragons. So many dragons. I mean, I can't blame him, they're awesome, but it's clear the mangaka has a bit of a fetish toward them (hell, just look at his last work, Rave Master).

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Dragons dragons dragons. So many dragons. I mean, I can't blame him, they're awesome, but it's clear the mangaka has a bit of a fetish toward them (hell, just look at his last work, Rave Master).
    Considering dragons are one of the main plot points of the entire FT setting, I don't think that's unreasonable.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that was an interesting bit of information...

So... since crazy theories are apparently allowed again I'll just try a shot in the blue: Seven, er, fourteen years ago the King of Dragons was around trying to get rid of the last "real" dragons, including the fire, metal and air varieties. Guilt tripped Zeref somehow figured it out and warned them but forcing them to leave their adepts behind when they went... wherever. Another dimension, probably. And... something like that happened to the Holy and Shadow dragon as well? I don't really know.

Also, now we can switch from wondering "What is Acnologia's element" to "What kind of slayer used Acnologia to be". Not sure if better or worse...

Otherwise... I liked the Jade dragon. He was funny. A bit stupid but funny.
    (And stupid dragons... trusting humans to help them in their war and not turning against them... hahahahahaha.
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragons didn't had so much appearance in Rave Master. They were mostly the Let, Julia and the Dragon Tamer dude side-plot.

So, anyone else thinks that the White Knight lying when he says Zeref did all the actual transforming?
    Maybe going too far into any kind of magic simply changes you into that? Iced Shell kills the user and turns him/her into ice, Dragon Slaying apparently can make you a Dragon and maybe some kind of Dark Magic turns into demons?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Other things to consider: who said Acnologia is the only DS to become a dragon? Igneel, and metalicono all could have been human once. I'm positive Grandine was human once though.
    The Jade Dragon made it sound like it was a rather unique event, i dont think there is anyone else that has transformed like him.

And furthermore, considering the bloodcrazed killingspree Arcnologia had to embark upon to transform himself, then i find it even more unlikely that any of the dragons we know of would have done the same.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    They actually outright said that the normal army was no match for a guild early in the manga, but we also know there are "rune knights" that are strong enough to deal with guilds, they are the ones who arrested Jellal and tried to interfere with Fairy Tail on Tenrou Island.
    Eh.. we do have some indication that even the Rune Knights probably can't be expected to stand up to the more powerful guilds. If you remember the Magic Power Finder game after Erza destroyed the entire house-o'-monsters, Milliana's score of 365 was high enough to rank as a standard squad captain. And then Orga scored 10 times higher, Jura more than doubled *that*, and Cana's Fairy Glitter was past the Power Finder's ability to measure. In the face of that much power difference I suspect most Rune Knights wouldn't be of any more use than non-magical soldiers.

Re New Chapter: Trololol Dragon. Just in case you thought dragons were majestic and wise or something.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Eh.. we do have some indication that even the Rune Knights probably can't be expected to stand up to the more powerful guilds. If you remember the Magic Power Finder game after Erza destroyed the entire house-o'-monsters, Milliana's score of 365 was high enough to rank as a standard squad captain. And then Orga scored 10 times higher, Jura more than doubled *that*, and Cana's Fairy Glitter was past the Power Finder's ability to measure. In the face of that much power difference I suspect most Rune Knights wouldn't be of any more use than non-magical soldiers.
    I dont quite agree, while that test certainly is excellent proof of that a Rune knight would lose a 1 vs 1 fight against most members from the higher ranked guilds, then at the same time it only showns how hard a punch the guild wizards pack, and doesnt measure their actual skill in battle, or how well their defence would hold against 8-9 different opponents all blasting low level offensive magic towards them.

Just as an example, while Cana did scored the highest on the test, would you belive her to stand any chance whatsoever in a 1 vs 1 with Jura or Orga?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I and doesnt measure their actual skill in battle, or how well their defence would hold against 8-9 different opponents all blasting low level offensive magic towards them.

Just as an example, while Cana did scored the highest on the test, would you belive her to stand any chance whatsoever in a 1 vs 1 with Jura or Orga?
    With the exception of Cana, I suspect the MPF does show skill in battle reasonably well, although mostly as an associated/correlated talent: People who have kinds of magic that perform well on MPF (that is, primarily direct combat-related bursts) will also likely have been practicing how to apply said direct combat talents. As for wave tactics/concentrated fire from significantly weaker opponents.. I'm pretty sure mages on the level of Orga and certainly Jura can functionally just ignore it, either with a basic defensive spell or by being Just That Strong. It's a pretty common Shounen thing, and I don't recall anything happening that shows that it doesn't apply in Fairy Tail.

For the question of Cana specifically: She's a Fairy Tail S-class candidate. None of those are people you can safely underestimate. That said, my guess is that she'd need to be granted another shot of Fairy Glitter in order to beat Orga or Jura; without it, she may have the necessary magic power reserves, but the kinds of magic we've seen her do so far don't have the face-smashing power and applications to duel with the styles Orga and Jura use.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post

Re New Chapter: Trololol Dragon. Just in case you thought dragons were majestic and wise or something.
    Standard captains are a far cry from the upper ranks. And against a wizard saint I wouldn't expect a standard captain to be sent out.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

The only thing I know is that I'd hate to be a human living in Fairy Tail land. Might be a little better than living in a Marvel Comic or Metropolis, but still.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

The only thing I know is that I'd hate to be a human living in Fairy Tail land. Might be a little better than living in a Marvel Comic or Metropolis, but still.
    At least in Fiore they make Fairy Tail pay for all the property damage they cause. I don't recall anyone ever sending Superman a check.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Really? It seems like it would be interesting at least. It seems like there are magic items like the glasses levy and lucy used to read quickly. I would assume you don't need to be a mage to do those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Anime Filler
    Spoiler
    Show
    Its done and dusted the ending sequence that speaks about the next episode which is entitled "Sabertooth" and the last scene is of a certain pair of dragonslayers!

Can anyone get a screen grab or better yet a colour pic of the new pair?

Looks like they're ready to rumble!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2012-09-29 at 03:32 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Filler is finally over, yeah... And it started okay enough but I felt it really fust went downhill up to today's finale...
    But we will finally turn towards the tourney arc and that means... we will have Norio back in a few episodes! Even if it's just for an episode I always smile when I hear his awesome voice.
    "What's done is done."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    At least in Fiore they make Fairy Tail pay for all the property damage they cause. I don't recall anyone ever sending Superman a check.
    True, but (admitedly speaking completely out of my ass) Superman doesn't intentionally provoke as much property damage. His fights do get that messy, but when Superman's out and about, you don't expect him to blow up your entire town, or lol-trip and sink your village. You expect those kinds of shenanigans from Fairy Tail.

... how the heck do they possibly afford to be able to pay for all of the property damage they commit?

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Really? It seems like it would be interesting at least. It seems like there are magic items like the glasses levy and lucy used to read quickly. I would assume you don't need to be a mage to do those.
    Really? I thought it was because they were mages that you could use them. Use Magic Device isn't a commoner skill, and most commoners don't get to be high enough level to afford the cross class ranks, after all.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Really? I thought it was because they were mages that you could use them. Use Magic Device isn't a commoner skill, and most commoners don't get to be high enough level to afford the cross class ranks, after all.
    *thwack* Don't get your fancy D&D in my Fairy Tail. Iirc there was a duo of not-magic user thugs way at the beginning (and then again somewhere in a filler(?) who was able to use some magic items. So apparently, yeah, commoners can use magic items. Is it even ever stated whether being a mage is a gift granted at birth or requires potential or if anyone can just decide to become one?
    "What's done is done."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Banned

I only read the chapter now... wow. I mean... wow.
    It just... it just makes sense.

26. - Top - End - #116

Say what you will about the writing (ie, that the mangaka really has no idea how to set up a threat, as Natsu's complete solo crushing of Sting and Rogue show), but sometimes, Fairy Tail REALLY does stuff that makes sense. Or is atleast really awesome.

I still remember the fun I had when they all held hands, started chanting "we believe in friendship!" and half way through the chant they get Apocolypse Dragon'ed. Good times.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

Mashima admits openly that he is basically flying by the seat of his pants, so whenever you see things tying together so well, you can't help but be impressed.
    That's one of the things I like most about FT - Mashima is very honest with us readers.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Is it even ever stated whether being a mage is a gift granted at birth or requires potential or if anyone can just decide to become one?
    I doubt there's anything official on it, but so far it seems like a mix of both; my guess is that anyone can *learn* magic, but how well one can do with it is (at least to start with, since this is a shounen and being willing to train really hard can do amazing things for you) more a matter of native potential.

29. - Top - End - #119

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Mashima admits openly that he is basically flying by the seat of his pants, so whenever you see things tying together so well, you can't help but be impressed.
    That's one of the things I like most about FT - Mashima is very honest with us readers.
    Today we're going to have an entire chapter about titties. Then we'll have a nice artistic chapter with no dialoge featuring Gildartz. I'm doing this solely so chapter 300 can have a special revelation in it.

Yha, I'll give him that much. He's nothing if not honest about his style.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

... how the heck do they possibly afford to be able to pay for all of the property damage they commit?
    The same way they did it on Cowboy Bebop. That damage is almost always caused while on a job, so as long as the job pays more than the damage bill they are fine. Besides that though, I imagine that the top wizard guild in the kingdom is pretty rich. Real world guilds in Europe could get very rich and powerful, and I imagine wizards' guilds even moreso.