New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Final Fantasy X d20 (PDF Now Available!)

Sheriff of Moddingham: Thread necromancy violates the Forum Rules.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ettin in the Playground

The link to the latest version of Final Fantasy X d20 was broken, but has been reforged!
    Download the PDF of v1.1!!

And if ANYONE is having problems downloading the PDF, PM me your email address, & I will send you a copy. There is no reason for anyone who want this to miss out.

Also, thanks to the mods (IE Mark Hall) for allowing me to fix the broken link & post this notice. It is much appreciated.

Lastly, I still plan to improve this project further, once my work on the HoZ project is complete. Please post any of your suggestions for improvements that you'd like to see in Version 1.2, & I'll see what I can do. Here's what I have so far:
    • Add Advancement for monsters
    • Add visual descriptions for monsters
    • Provoke needs to be clarified if to resist each turn, like the save to attack a summoner, or to ignore the entire effect of provoke
    • Raise Doublecast feat to Will save +10
    • Black Mages can’t afford a Battle Doll at 1st level & is not proficient with it; fix this
    • Lower HP Stroll to +4
    • Fix MP Stroll typos, lower to +4
    • Clarify SOS Overdrive (gain 100OP)
    • Buying Ethers & using abilities is far cheaper than using items; raise Ether price
    • X-Potion is more expensive than an Elixir; raise Elixir price
    • Lower the Slayer Overdrive condition from 5OP to 4OP
    • Raise the Hero Overdrive condition from 5OP to 8OP
    • Raise the Avenger Overdrive condition from 6OP to 12OP

Anything else that you wanna see in the next version?

3. - Top - End - #933
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Anything else that you wanna see in the next version?
    Yeah, I think I mentioned this in an earlier post to this thread, but Spiran chocobos need to be able to leap and glide, as they do when you travel to Remiem Temple, or access cliffside treasures on the Mi'ihen Lowroad.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is a somewhat unusual request, but would it be possible to see a class based around using Arena Creation abilities or some iteration thereof?
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John_Olson View Post
    Yeah, I think I mentioned this in an earlier post to this thread, but Spiran chocobos need to be able to leap and glide, as they do when you travel to Remiem Temple, or access cliffside treasures on the Mi'ihen Lowroad.
    As for the revised Chocobo, done! How's that for service?

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    This is a somewhat unusual request, but would it be possible to see a class based around using Arena Creation abilities or some iteration thereof?
    Well, for one, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Arena Creation abilities". Also, this project is mostly bound to the game Final Fantasy X & the contents therein. A class is quite a bit of work, & to put so much effort into something that has little to do with the game would be far outside of scope. Sorry, but I don't something like that happening.

Anything else, folks?

6. - Top - End - #936

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Well, for one, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Arena Creation abilities". Also, this project is mostly bound to the game Final Fantasy X & the contents therein. A class is quite a bit of work, & to put so much effort into something that has little to do with the game would be far outside of scope. Sorry, but I don't something like that happening.

Anything else, folks?
    Fair enough. That being the case, how about stats for Jecht, Yunalesca and Seymour (Omnis) from their boss fights? If that's too much work then don't worry about it. You single-handedly produce more homebrew then I could imagine, and it's all excellent.
    Last edited by TravelLog; 2011-11-01 at 08:47 AM.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

I would just like to add that I'm very glad to see this back on the front page and still being discussed. This is an incredible resource and amazing piece of design and I thank you for it! It's really a great game, from the simplicity of the mechanics, to the balance between PCs and monsters, and the joy of having useful items that aren't +X swords. If many of the design/development principles applied to FFX d20 were applied to a more cookie-cutter, settingless d20 game, I can't imagine it being less than incredible.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

8. - Top - End - #938
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

How about a Black Summoner? That is, Yuna was a White Mage/Summoner, but Seymour had access to Black Magic AND Summoning. So there is precedent for having a Black Summoner class.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by andhaira View Post
    How about a Black Summoner? That is, Yuna was a White Mage/Summoner, but Seymour had access to Black Magic AND Summoning. So there is precedent for having a Black Summoner class.
    This goes back (and I mean waaaay back) to the argument about making "Summoner" a template of sorts that could go onto any class, as it seems to be in the game. The end result was a no, because White Mages suck to play when they're your only character rather than one of a party, so they get the Aeons as a way to make them more appealling.

If ZK is willing to make alternate Summoners however, I am still 100% behind it, because it would be awesome.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-11-02 at 05:43 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Troll in the Playground

I would love to play in a PbP of this...
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

11. - Top - End - #941

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    I would as well. If you end up starting one, let me know.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

12. - Top - End - #942
    Troll in the Playground

One rule I've been confused about for a while is the KO condition. It seems to exist only as a huge annoyance to everyone. If a creature isn't outright killed, only KO'd, it can never be killed, is that right?
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2011-11-02 at 08:40 AM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #943
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

How's that for service?
    That's...breathtakingly swift. (cue victory theme).

14. - Top - End - #944

BlackDragon

I really like what you've done with this Zeta Kai. Final Fantasy X is one of my favourites in the series (and also one of the more challenging games in the series). is it ok if i use this for inspiritation as i am currently re-doing a Final Fantasy VII d20 game and i seriously need help with it.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ettin in the Playground

Fair enough. That being the case, how about stats for Jecht, Yunalesca and Seymour (Omnis) from their boss fights? If that's too much work then don't worry about it. You single-handedly produce more homebrew then I could imagine, and it's all excellent.
    Well, I would, but I kinda already did that. The boss fight with Jecht is Braska’s Final Aeon (1st Form) & Braska’s Final Aeon (2nd Form). Yunalesca's boss fight has three forms, here, here, & here. And Seymour Omnis was also statted out in full. When I said that I did all of the enemies in the game, I mean that I did ALL of the enemies in the game. If you can fight it in the game, then I statted it up. Yes, even that one. That one, too.

I would just like to add that I'm very glad to see this back on the front page and still being discussed. This is an incredible resource and amazing piece of design and I thank you for it! It's really a great game, from the simplicity of the mechanics, to the balance between PCs and monsters, and the joy of having useful items that aren't +X swords. If many of the design/development principles applied to FFX d20 were applied to a more cookie-cutter, settingless d20 game, I can't imagine it being less than incredible.
    Well, thank you very much. I really appreciate the kind words. I have indeed toyed with the idea of applying the basic rules-set used in this conversion to other projects. I learned a lot when making this, & I'd like to see if it could be used to convert other games, or perhaps even be used as a generic RPS. The mechanics for this conversion are such a specific fusion of 3E & FF, though, that I'm not entirely sure that it could stand up on its own. I've also been gravitating away from d20 & working on my own proprietary RPS, but perhaps one day I'll do something more with this.

Quote Originally Posted by andhaira View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    This goes back (and I mean waaaay back) to the argument about making "Summoner" a template of sorts that could go onto any class, as it seems to be in the game. The end result was a no, because White Mages suck to play when they're your only character rather than one of a party, so they get the Aeons as a way to make them more appealling.

If ZK is willing to make alternate Summoners however, I am still 100% behind it, because it would be awesome.
    According to this system (IE me), Seymour Guado is a Half-Guado Summoner 4/Black Mage 7. There is no need to make a Black Summoner, or a Martial Summoner, or any other kind of Summoner. As Kobold-Bard mentioned, I put this to bed a while ago, as can be seen here, here, & here.

The game has 7 playable characters, & I made 7 base classes, which suit each of their abilities over the course of the game. For the Summoner, I paid special attention to the design & balance of class, especially the summoning mechanic, so that it would cover the abilities of every other character with summoning capability in the game (Yuna, Isaaru, Seymour, Dona, Braska, Mi'ihen, Ohalland, &... Belgemine, off the top of my head). As long as you allow that some of them multiclass during their careers into some other classes (just like the PC in the game can do later in the game), then there is no conflict, & no need to make new base classes that are only kinda-sorta-not-really supported by the game itself.

I've also taken the concept of making summoning into a template & torn it to shreds, as you can read in the links above. The short version: a summoning template would take away the only offensive ability that a Summoner has, leaving them with nothing but healing powers, which is not fun to play. Also, balancing the scaling power of various Aeons with the rest of d20 mechanics is basically impossible if it isn't fused into a class of some sort; pull out that thread, & the whole tapestry unravels very rapidly. I experimented with such a thing, & the math is borked. Forget it, it just doesn't work, & it's not worth it to try.

So would I.

I would as well. If you end up starting one, let me know.
    I'd like to, but I have NO experience with PbP, so I am singularly unqualified to run one. Is there a boot camp for that sort of thing?

One rule I've been confused about for a while is the KO condition. It seems to exist only as a huge annoyance to everyone. If a creature isn't outright killed, only KO'd, it can never be killed, is that right?
    In this conversion project, KO is effectively synonymous with Dead. If everybody is KOed, then it's a Game Over, which is equivalent to a TPK. You can use the words Killed & Dead if you'd prefer. I just go with how the original game presented them. My players know that KO means that they need to start begging the other guys for a Phoenix Down so they don't have to roll up new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Olson View Post
    That's...breathtakingly swift. (cue victory theme).
    Yeah, well, I try.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_In_Da_Room View Post
    I really like what you've done with this Zeta Kai. Final Fantasy X is one of my favourites in the series (and also one of the more challenging games in the series). is it ok if i use this for inspiritation as i am currently re-doing a Final Fantasy VII d20 game and i seriously need help with it.
    It's one of my favorites, too, as you can probably tell. Feel free to use whatever you find here for your own homebrew; just credit me when you do, & I'd like a link, so I can check out your stuff. I worked on a FF7-based class a long time ago, but I never finished it; perhaps it's about time to go back & give it another shot...

16. - Top - End - #946

Well, I would, but I kinda already did that. The boss fight with Jecht is Braska’s Final Aeon (1st Form) & Braska’s Final Aeon (2nd Form). Yunalesca's boss fight has three forms, here, here, & here. And Seymour Omnis was also statted out in full. When I said that I did all of the enemies in the game, I mean that I did ALL of the enemies in the game. If you can fight it in the game, then I statted it up. Yes, even that one. That one, too.
    Your thoroughness knows no bounds. I bow to excellence.

So would I.

I'd like to, but I have NO experience with PbP, so I am singularly unqualified to run one. Is there a boot camp for that sort of thing?
    With this in mind, how would the two of you feel about the three of us starting a thread looking for a DM and maybe one other player? I'd love to try this on for size.

Zeta, I imagine your reputation on these threads (and the fact that you built this entire magnificent project) would be sure to get a us a DM.

Incidentally, do you know of someone who has ever used and beaten Penance?
    Last edited by TravelLog; 2011-11-04 at 01:48 PM.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

17. - Top - End - #947

BlackDragon

thank you, i really appreciate it i'll post a link to the thread in my signature as soon as i set it up so u can have a look what i've done.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

... maybe one other player? ...
    Well hello there.....
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

19. - Top - End - #949

Well hello there.....
    And we have a full party it seems...

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

20. - Top - End - #950
    Troll in the Playground

In this conversion project, KO is effectively synonymous with Dead. If everybody is KOed, then it's a Game Over, which is equivalent to a TPK. You can use the words Killed & Dead if you'd prefer. I just go with how the original game presented them. My players know that KO means that they need to start begging the other guys for a Phoenix Down so they don't have to roll up new characters.
    The snag with KO'd is natural healing. Of course KO'd characters can be captured, their captors waiting until they regain a single hit point and then attacking with a coup de grace, but as I said that's rather annoying. Creatures that KO a mortal enemy instead of killing them are oddly forbidden to press their attack until the enemy has been revived.

@TravelLog: I would LOVE for that to happen. I myself am also not experienced enough with PbP to DM the game (let alone FFX d20), but I would certainly love to play the game. Let me know if anything further develops.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #951

The snag with KO'd is natural healing. Of course KO'd characters can be captured, their captors waiting until they regain a single hit point and then attacking with a coup de grace, but as I said that's rather annoying. Creatures that KO a mortal enemy instead of killing them are oddly forbidden to press their attack until the enemy has been revived.

@TravelLog: I would LOVE for that to happen. I myself am also not experienced enough with PbP to DM the game (let alone FFX d20), but I would certainly love to play the game. Let me know if anything further develops.
    Once Zeta says whether or not he will post the thread for the sake of drawing more DM interest, we'll see what happens. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to set up the DM search thread for myself, you, Zeta, and Kobold-Bard.

I'm interested in playing a Lancer, or maybe a Ronin. What about you guys?
    Last edited by TravelLog; 2011-11-04 at 05:04 PM.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

22. - Top - End - #952
    Dwarf in the Playground

Please do something so I can play X-2 characters/abilities?

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ettin in the Playground

Once Zeta says whether or not he will post the thread for the sake of drawing more DM interest, we'll see what happens. Otherwise I'd be more than happy to set up the DM search thread for myself, you, Zeta, and Kobold-Bard.
    I have made a DM recruitment thread here. Ziegander, Kobold-Bard, & TravelLog are invited. Rejoice.

I'm interested in playing a Lancer, or maybe a Ronin. What about you guys?
    I'd like to be a Blitzer, or perhaps a Black Mage. I don't want to overshadow the poor DM who has to run a game for me while simultaneously asking me for advice & clarifications on the rules. So I would prefer to play something of a wall flower, a shy quiet character that doesn't try to take the limelight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Please do something so I can play X-2 characters/abilities?
    That would require another total conversion, as the game mechanics for the sequel are totally different. Same world, different universes, really. Sorry, but that would be far beyond the scope of this project. Maybe someday, but not someday soon.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

There are a few errors (I hope) in the Equipment Abilities section, and some balance issues, in my opinion. Zombiestrike, for example, requires CL 16th for Method #1, but only CL 5th for Method #2. Balance-wise you have things like Sleeptouch that requires only CL 7th, but Firestrike that requires CL 10th. Which do you think is more powerful? Save or die on all of your attacks or a little extra damage?

Anyway, I'd like to see rules for pricing weapons & armor enhanced in the FFXd20 way. You could buy enhanced weapons in the video game from all sorts of vendors, but I can't find any way to do that in FFXd20. It would also be nice to show guidelines for equipping characters higher than 1st level. A 10th level FFXd20 character, for example, should certainly have enhanced equipment by now, but I can't find any rules for that sort of thing.

EDIT: We need a clarification, too, on how "magical" weapons and armor work. I see nothing in FFXd20 that speaks of +X weapons. Does this mean, for example, that a Firestrike weapon costs 2000gp and can be added to any weapon (even a non-masterwork weapon)?

It would nice to see prices for weapons with a limited number of slots, but also adjusted prices for qualities like Strength +3% that are objectively worse than Strength +5% but have the same effective enhancement bonus. Strength +3% does nothing until you have +34 or better to attack and deal 34 or more damage. That doesn't seem to be worth a +1 enhancement bonus to me, but it costs the same as one.

Oh, also, Blitzballs (the weapons) are horribad. You mean I can spend a feat to gain a 10ft ranged (not reach, not thrown) weapon that, compared to a martial reach weapon, deals far less damage, provokes attacks of opportunity for attacking with in melee, and has a 20% chance to disarm myself? I can't wait! I'd like to see a modified Blitzball that isn't completely terrible. As important as Blitzing is to Spira, it would make sense to me if it were a simple weapon. I could maybe still stand to be improved, then, but it would be more acceptible.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2011-11-05 at 09:36 PM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ettin in the Playground

Stuff about things
    See my response to your questions, such as they are, here.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Troll in the Playground

See my response to your questions, such as they are, here.
    I should think you'd want to address the questions here, since only players of the game are going to be in the other thread, and my questions are important to anyone that is interested in the FFXd20 game system.

Also, what about these issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander
    There are a few errors (I hope) in the Equipment Abilities section, and some balance issues, in my opinion. Zombiestrike, for example, requires CL 16th for Method #1, but only CL 5th for Method #2. Balance-wise you have things like Sleeptouch that requires only CL 7th, but Firestrike that requires CL 10th. Which do you think is more powerful? Save or die on all of your attacks or a little extra damage?

It would nice to see prices for weapons with a limited number of slots, but also adjusted prices for qualities like Strength +3% that are objectively worse than Strength +5% but have the same effective enhancement bonus. Strength +3% does nothing until you have +34 or better to attack and deal 34 or more damage. That doesn't seem to be worth a +1 enhancement bonus to me, but it costs the same as one.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

1. Are Summoner & Black Mage supposed to have 2 Key Sphere spaces seperating them? Or is that just how the table on the PDF makes it look, and they in fact only have one?

2. How come the Spiran alternative methods weren't offered for making Alchemical & Useful items like they were for Weapons & Armour? As it stands no Sphere Grid Spiran can make Potions because none of them have CLW as a spell or any XP to spend on making them?

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Are Summoner & Black Mage supposed to have 2 Key Sphere spaces seperating them? Or is that just how the table on the PDF makes it look, and they in fact only have one?
    No. IMO, the Sphere Grid is not designed to wrap around, so a Summoner going for Black Mage (or vice versa) would have to go the long way. Of course, I'm not as opposed to making it wrap around as I used to be when I first made this, but I'd keep the two columns on either side. They are a good buffer for the aspiring multiclasser, & they hold Banish & Ultima, which are two powerful abilities.

2. How come the Spiran alternative methods weren't offered for making Alchemical & Useful items like they were for Weapons & Armour? As it stands no Sphere Grid Spiran can make Potions because none of them have CLW as a spell or any XP to spend on making them?
    As I stated here (in section #2), characters in the game had no way to make those items, so I included no method for them to do so here. They could enhance weapons & armor, but they could not make alchemical or useful items. They could find them, buy them, or steal them ,but they could not craft them on their own out of other things. That's just the way that the game was made, & it has been slavishly reproduced here. If you wanna make them, then talk to your DM & ask for an exception of some sort.

Sorry to be such a killjoy.

29. - Top - End - #959

More extensive break down of machina?

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othniel Edden View Post
    More extensive break down of machina?
    Could you please elaborate? What would you like to know?