New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Kneenibble's Knack for Knightly Knickers: a Knell for Random Banter #184

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Hmm, I can't come up with a good first name, because, for some reason, English speakers don't like to name people after animals. Which is sad, because my Swedish name sounds bad in English. I mean, try to pronounciate "Björn" and see for yourself.

Hmm... "Beorn" sounds too much like a LotR reference, but it's more similar phonetically to my name than what at least half of you probaly managed to do above (, and for the record, my name is pretty similar to "burn", but with a 'j' before the 'u'). Perhaps if you swap a letter or two in it...

Perhaps I should go back to finding names that sound similar to "Teddy" again...

And 280mm, is that for the artillery? Or the tanks!?
    ... I KNOW a guy named Björn. Which I'm told is a little weird for the U.S., but hey - I'm in Minnesota.
    I also know a Nels, a Sven, and a Steda (is Steda Scandinavian? I always assumed it was, but now that I think about it I'm not sure) - none of whom are related.
    Last edited by Dimonite; 2012-10-25 at 03:27 PM.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Kneenibble's Knack for Knightly Knickers: a Knell for Random Banter #184

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    ... I KNOW a guy named Björn. Which I'm told is a little weird for the U.S., but hey - I'm in Minnesota.
    Aren't Minnesota and Wisconsin basically Norwegian-American central?

Only thing I could find searching for Steda as a name. So considering the citation is old english, it's possible, since scandinavian and germanic languages have more in common and old english was fairly germanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    I suppose with the number of elements drawn from anime, I could have based her guns on those of the Yamato, but 457mm shells seem a little excessive for SF...
    Depends on how much unobtainium you want to throw around. Lets you have armor as good as 2 meters of tungsten steel while only being, like, half a meter thick. Or whatever. composite armor? mrrr.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-25 at 03:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #573
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post

Only thing I could find searching for Steda as a name. So considering the citation is old english, it's possible, since scandinavian and germanic languages have more in common and old english was fairly germanic.

Depends on how much unobtainium you want to throw around. Lets you have armor as good as 2 meters of tungsten steel while only being, like, half a meter thick. Or whatever. composite armor? mrrr.
    Well, I'm not sure exactly what armour we're working with, but the alien invaders need to have a decent chance of taking hits without casualties at least at the start... at least against most of the smaller weapons out there, and I'm loath to sacrifice mobility enough to use weapons above 280mm diameter on land... except in very special circumstances.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

4. - Top - End - #574

NecromancerGuy

Well, the usual device for that sort of thing is superior range, maneuverability, and shields/some way to disrupt targeting to cut accuracy to ribbons if the underdogs are going to be able to make some kind of comeback.

At least from what I recall anyway, haha.

I somehow got the impression/made the assumption that hovertanks were in play anyway, which would obviate a bit of the relationship with the actual ground beneath them.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    Hooooooooooly crap, I have had too much coffee!

I haven't done this to myself in a looooooong time, but I can almost feel my heart beating! I need to get off work and take a nap!

*jitter jitter jitter*
    I am curious, for a person whose very avatar professes acute and chronic coffeemanship, how much is too much?

6. - Top - End - #576
    Bugbear in the Playground

Further investigation on my part has revealed that only 2 people in the US have that name. Since the Steda I know is a minor, that probably brings the grand total to 3, 2 of which are in Minnesota.
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

7. - Top - End - #577

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I am curious, for a person whose very avatar professes acute and chronic coffeemanship, how much is too much?
    All I know is that if you drink one hundred cups of coffee in a day without anything else, you gain the ability to stop time. Or move faster then light, I forget the specifics.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the usual device for that sort of thing is superior range, maneuverability, and shields/some way to disrupt targeting to cut accuracy to ribbons if the underdogs are going to be able to make some kind of comeback.

At least from what I recall anyway, haha.

I somehow got the impression/made the assumption that hovertanks were in play anyway, which would obviate a bit of the relationship with the actual ground beneath them.
    No hovertanks here- but the ones we do have are nuclear powered due to a complete lack of fossil fuels.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

Eww, it smells in here. Did a Hippie come in here again?

I picture Knee in a frilly 19th century fancy-shirt in a queensized bed with the overhang thing, laying seductively.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    All I know is that if you drink one hundred cups of coffee in a day without anything else, you gain the ability to stop time. Or move faster then light, I forget the specifics.
    If I drank one hundred cups of coffee in a day without anything else, I won't tell you what I'd be doing, but it would involve sitting in one place for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant Sheep View Post
    Ah yes, that unmistakable aroma of patchouli, curry, woodsmoke, and unwashed armpit.

I picture Knee in a frilly 19th century fancy-shirt in a queensized bed with the overhang thing, laying seductively.
    *monocle pops off*

*Belle drawl* why Sheep, I nevah knew

11. - Top - End - #581

NecromancerGuy

I'm thinking more 17th or 18th century.

Because style never fades.

No hovertanks here- but the ones we do have are nuclear powered due to a complete lack of fossil fuels.
    Well, you know, far future, distant space colony far away from support from earth, it's only natural they need nuclear reactors, too much of a bother to set up facilities to manufacture biofuels or hydrocarbons and fuel cells are still a bit too silly and impractical for SF.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #582
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    If I drank one hundred cups of coffee in a day without anything else, I won't tell you what I'd be doing, but it would involve sitting in one place for quite a while.

Ah yes, that unmistakable aroma of patchouli, curry, woodsmoke, and unwashed armpit.

*monocle pops off*

*Belle drawl* why Sheep, I nevah knew
    Sitting?

Good Old Hippie. Why I remember how he respodned to one of ym amde up words and I maded a joke about how a Hippie TALKED to me. THEY TOOK IT ALL SERIOUS.

Heh. Canadian doing a southern accent...
    I'm thinking more 17th or 18th century.

Because style never fades.
    I don't know the difference. European styles of the lateish 17th century are too pantiloons, though, and weird wigs. But I dunno.

@Le Moon: ... What words did he replace with? I'm sorry, I haven't read Flies in a while. And Piggy pisses me off. That too.
    Also, WHY. The whole "violate a pig with a sharp stick" is a disturbing thing. Damn british kids.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2012-10-25 at 05:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

13. - Top - End - #583
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, so you guys know the pighunt scene from LotF, right?

Well, my English teacher decided to read it aloud to us, and then, when no one mentioned what he was very heavily trying to get us to point out, he read it again, with certain words replaced with other ones.

Awkwardness ensued.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoonCat View Post
    Okay, so you guys know the pighunt scene from LotF, right?

Well, my English teacher decided to read it aloud to us, and then, when no one mentioned what he was very heavily trying to get us to point out, he read it again, with certain words replaced with other ones.

Awkwardness ensued.
    At a wild guess, this involved character names being replaced by student names or something similar?
    Part of YugiohITP

15. - Top - End - #585

NecromancerGuy

If I recall correctly what you're referring to, then, yes, awkwardness ensues, Moondlin One. I'm not sure what else there could be that'd ensue.

Coffee acts as both diuretic and laxative, Ship!

Also, maybe I'm just thinking of the 17th century then.

ION: This dog I'm dogsitting doesn't know how to be a dog. It starts trying to wrassle with me and the moment I play along with it, it flops on its back and urinates all over itself and my hands.

I'm only lucky he's stopped widdling everywhere when he gets picked up.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-25 at 05:57 PM.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #586

At a wild guess, this involved character names being replaced by student names or something similar?
    Have you read the book? (Out of actual curiosity)

If I recall correctly what you're referring to, then, yes, awkwardness ensues, Moondlin One. I'm not sure what else there could be that'd ensue.
    Yes, that scene.

The only word he didn't outright replace were the references to 'spears' and 'point', those he just called... instruments.

Very, very awkward.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't remember anything in that scene being subtle enough to need changing...

18. - Top - End - #588
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, that scene.

The only word he didn't outright replace were the references to 'spears' and 'point', those he just called... instruments.

Very, very awkward.
    WHat, my edit isnt worth a response?

Again, why read that to a bunch of high schoolers and expect.. literally anything.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

19. - Top - End - #589

@Le Moon: ... What words did he replace with? I'm sorry, I haven't read Flies in a while. And Piggy pisses me off. That too.
    Also, WHY. The whole "violate a pig with a sharp stick" is a disturbing thing. Damn british kids.
    What's wrong with Piggy? Admittedly, I prefer Simon, but that's mainly because I like quietly insane dark-haired woobies who are good thinkers.

He wasn't explicit, he just took away all the words that made the sow sound like anything but human, and all the hunters just being called men or boys. And the instruments.

Also, I'm not sure I get why that's British in particular. And really, they're total nutters by that point, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Devmaar View Post
    I don't remember anything in that scene being subtle enough to need changing...
    Oh, he just made it even moreso just because the few kids who got it on the first read (me) decided not to say anything to avoid sounding like perveted insanos.

WHat, my edit isnt worth a response?

Again, why read that to a bunch of high schoolers and expect.. literally anything.
    Didn't see it!

Because that's the class book right now, and TeachMan decided that since Chpt. 8 is pretty plot-heavy, he would read the whole thing aloud to us.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #590
    Troll in the Playground

Studied it for my GCSE exams, which rather took away any fun that had been in the book to start with (I didn't like literature analysis back in the day)
    Part of YugiohITP

21. - Top - End - #591

I didn't get to read Lord of the Flies since the one time I saw it in our English class that let us read the books, the teacher said we'd be learning about it anyway later on so I shouldn't read it. I've never found the book since then, which annoys me, because we DIDN'T go through it.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2012-10-25 at 06:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

Studied it for my GCSE exams, which rather took away any fun that had been in the book to start with (I didn't like literature analysis back in the day)
    My feelings exactly, though hindsight is helping...

23. - Top - End - #593

'Kay, just wondering. Anyway, there's a scene in chapter eight with Jack's hunters where they attack a pig with imagery that is rather... evocative of certain things other than killing.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ettin in the Playground

GCSEs sucked the fun out of a lot of books for me - Jane Austen in particular. When I die and eventually go to Hell, they're going to force me to finish that 10,000 word essay on Pride and Prejudice.

25. - Top - End - #595

'Kay, just wondering. Anyway, there's a scene in chapter eight with Jack's hunters where they attack a pig with imagery that is rather... evocative of certain things other than killing.
    KILL THE PIG! SPILL IT'S BLOOD! RIP IT'S FLESH.

I recall that quote from somewhere. Also, Mooooony! Hello

26. - Top - End - #596

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    KILL THE PIG! SPILL IT'S BLOOD! RIP IT'S FLESH.

I recall that quote from somewhere. Also, Mooooony! Hello
    KILL THE PIG! SPILL IT IS BLOOD! RIP IT IS FLESH!

Heya.
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #597

Thankee, MoonCat, I was just about to do that.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

28. - Top - End - #598

KILL THE PIG! SPILL IT IS BLOOD! RIP IT IS FLESH!

Heya.
    ...right

And heya, you should totally come online and stuff

Oh man look at me I've become Sheepie...

29. - Top - End - #599

NecromancerGuy

^: Shipie! Remedial English with Profesora Moonique.

Welp, I just got a key to the house of one of my neighbours for purposes of dogsitting this weekend. Twenty-five bucks and free rein with regards to the fridge for something I would have just done for free if she'd asked.

I'd feel bad, but, well, I do like money. I'll probably do some raking and leaf disposal to assuage my conscience, such as it is.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-25 at 07:29 PM.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

You know, Ship is a cool name.

Leaf disposal is a community obligation and you should do that anyways. (Except like, in her fenced yard or something) Dogsitting is always nice if you know the dog. If you don't... less fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...