New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bago!!! View Post
    Would a power that affects AIM be a bit overpowering if not outright impossible?
    We're generally leery of such "metapowers", but it'd be impossible to say for sure without knowing the specifics. What kind of an effect do you have in mind?

I read somewhere that an esper would become stronger after killing clones of another. Is it the act of killing or is it the battle itself that would invoke this increase in power?
    You're referring to Accelerator. Accelerator is Bad Example. However, it seems to me it was the practice he gained using his powers that made him go up levels; cilling the Sister Clones was merely a method of practice.

What are some of the differences between a Gemstone and a normal Esper? Normal Espers get their powers usually?
    Gemstones are born with their powers, are sometimes found outside Academy City limits, are globally sought out and generally have powers that defy normal classification or rules of ESPers. We're trying to avoid having many of them. Normal ESPers gain their powers via Power Curriculum, which consists of various excersizes and medical procedures to awaken latent psionic power. You can only enter and go through the Curriculum in Academy City. A "normal" ESPer's power is based around control over one natural phenomenom (such as gravity or electromagnetism), from which all their potential "other" powers are derived (such as flying or shaping metal).

Is Academy City open to all or is it rather secluded?
    Somewhat secluded; It's a nation unto its own, but it has a lot of people coming to it from the nearby areas (Japan) and potentially other countries. There are many things that are only commonplace (or exist) within Academy City limits, so someone coming from elsewhere would be in for a culture shock.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    We're generally leery of such "metapowers", but it'd be impossible to say for sure without knowing the specifics. What kind of an effect do you have in mind?
    It is a metapower, isn't it? I hadn't thought about that. Usually better about that.
    The kind of effect I had in mind was the fluctuation of AIM, leading to powers switching to overwhelming to underwhelming, and as a whole, uncontrollable.
    This is just one of the powers I am thinking about. The others are self-cellular manipulation, and telekinetic cut.

You're referring to Accelerator. Accelerator is Bad Example. However, it seems to me it was the practice he gained using his powers that made him go up levels; cilling the Sister Clones was merely a method of practice.
    Makes sense.

Gemstones are born with their powers, are sometimes found outside Academy City limits, are globally sought out and generally have powers that defy normal classification or rules of ESPers. We're trying to avoid having many of them. Normal ESPers gain their powers via Power Curriculum, which consists of various excersizes and medical procedures to awaken latent psionic power. You can only enter and go through the Curriculum in Academy City. A "normal" ESPer's power is based around control over one natural phenomenom (such as gravity or electromagnetism), from which all their potential "other" powers are derived (such as flying or shaping metal).
    This explains alot concerning powers, the curriculum and . Thanks!

Somewhat secluded; It's a nation unto its own, but it has a lot of people coming to it from the nearby areas (Japan) and potentially other countries. There are many things that are only commonplace (or exist) within Academy City limits, so someone coming from elsewhere would be in for a culture shock.
    Cool, I'll keep this all in mind as I work on the character.
    My life for Nerzhul!

Join the Cult of the Damned, we have free donuts on fridays! -Bago!!!

"There is a fine line between life and death. The thing is, I just don't give a damn." Lou

Could use some helpful critique for my avatar that I made. Please?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you should take a look at the power list in the wiki to see what powers are already in the game - mainly because telekinesis and cellular control fall into "no-brainer" category of power and are largely reserved already. The wiki has more information on the setting too, and you can see all the existing characters.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Hey 13, I don't see Kenta on the wiki. Any reason why?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Hinata frowns. "Um, don't take offense about this, but I think those 'experts' are stupid", he says. "Ever heard the proverb... uh, how does it go? 'Don't go further than the sea to fish.' It's about not going to unnecessary lenght to achieve a goal."
    I swear, it's a perfectly common proverb in Finland! It's your fault for never hearing it before! ~_~;;

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

I think you should take a look at the power list in the wiki to see what powers are already in the game - mainly because telekinesis and cellular control fall into "no-brainer" category of power and are largely reserved already. The wiki has more information on the setting too, and you can see all the existing characters.
    I have looked at the list, and I haven't seen anything for the telekinetic power I was imagining (basically making an edge instead of a barrier or anything of that sort).

As for Cellular Control, I was thinking strength and regeneration as the basic concepts, both of which I haven't seen.

This reminds me, do powers grow from over time, or could they grow in large 'turning points'? And could these turning points affect how or what additional uses or increases in level do?
    Last edited by Bago!!!; 2011-01-16 at 10:33 PM.
    My life for Nerzhul!

"There is a fine line between life and death. The thing is, I just don't give a damn." Lou

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

I have looked at the list, and I haven't seen anything for the telekinetic power I was imagining (basically making an edge instead of a barrier or anything of that sort).

As for Cellular Control, I was thinking strength and regeneration as the basic concepts.
    This reminds me, do powers grow from over time, or could they grow in large 'turning points'? And could these turning points affect how or what additional uses or increases in level do?
    I think a mixture of both, on the last point.

I intend for Tsubasa to grow to Level 5 at some point, and I intend it to be a mostly Turning Point event, but some would have it as a gradual thing as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    I think a mixture of both, on the last point.

I intend for Tsubasa to grow to Level 5 at some point, and I intend it to be a mostly Turning Point event, but some would have it as a gradual thing as well.
    How about jump starting from 0 to 1?
    My life for Nerzhul!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

As for Cellular Control, I was thinking strength and regeneration as the basic concepts, both of which I haven't seen.
    That's because you haven't been looking far enough. Check invidual character bios - many of them have expanded uses for the basic powers. Tsubasa's power can be used to create a "Razor wind" which would effectively be what you think with "Telekinetic cut". If you want to stretch it, Sakurako, Jirou and maybe Cale's powers could be used for the same thing. Hinata's power, on higher levels, would extend to (slight) levels of super-strenght and healing. Likewise, Kanazuchi Kazumi power is related though not exactly the same (super durability).

(Note: at a quick glance, the list is incomplete. It's missing Tsubasa's (Kinetic control over air molecules) and Avery's (Disease creation).)

Both. There are some artificial measures that can create a "turning point" to either direction (powers don't always grow, they can weaken too.) Mostly powers grow rather smoothly as the user practices and becomes more familiar with them; theoretically any ESPer could become level 5. It's just that it would take equal obsession as with mastering any other skill (like, say, playing guitar or running); not everyone is cut to devote that much time and effort to their powers.

As for the second question: levels are an abstract construct. They mostly tell how wide scale a power has, they don't really tell anything else of the power. It'd be better to think it this way: "sometimes additional uses or increase in power warrants an increase in level". Levels are a grade you get for existing powers. Theoretically, a "turning point" might allow additional uses for a power or make it stronger - as long as the additional effects are in line with the basic premise of the power.

How about jump starting from 0 to 1?
    Not much of a jump start, actually - level 1 is still pretty weak. The transition from level 0 to level 1 is the difference of a power having easily measurable effect.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2011-01-17 at 05:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't Level 0 just mean 'has potential for power, can't actually use it'?

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well not entirely. for example, there's a guy in the anime that has auto-regenerating, but its not perfect, so he really doesn't want to measure it, so its classified as 0

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, yeah, and then there's Imagine Breaker, which they can't measure (I'd classify it as Level 5 or even 6, actually. Why? Because it cancels out Level 5 powers and hasn't come up against something it can't cancel) so Touma is classified as Level 0 officially.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC II : ONEESAMA!!!!

I understood it as "Anybody without measurable powers regardless of whether they are capable of getting any or not"

Seemed that way considering the ESP-haters, I might be wrong, though.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

By the way, anyone interested in becoming part of the budding vigilante team is welcome to do so. Whether it's as a new member or one of the original founders, any and all misfit rebels with a cause will be graciously received...

...Well, maybe not all of them. Even so, they're far less picky than most.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, yeah, and then there's Imagine Breaker, which they can't measure (I'd classify it as Level 5 or even 6, actually. Why? Because it cancels out Level 5 powers and hasn't come up against something it can't cancel) so Touma is classified as Level 0 officially.
    Touma's power exists outside of the leveling system and may very well not even be a psychic ability so level 0 is perfectly fine for him. More to the point the BBEG of the series only says Touma is necessary to his schemes IN ADDITION to a Level 6 Esper, which implies that Touma is either not an Esper or his ability wouldn't qualify as a Level 6. Possibly both and his Imagine Breaker is merely unique.

And Level 0 are those without abilities, those with the potential but have never developed the ability, or those who's ability has such a small measurable effect that it's practically non-existent.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

That's because you haven't been looking far enough. Check invidual character bios - many of them have expanded uses for the basic powers. Tsubasa's power can be used to create a "Razor wind" which would effectively be what you think with "Telekinetic cut". If you want to stretch it, Sakurako, Jirou and maybe Cale's powers could be used for the same thing. Hinata's power, on higher levels, would extend to (slight) levels of super-strenght and healing. Likewise, Kanazuchi Kazumi power is related though not exactly the same (super durability).
    Wait, so I gotta come up with a power that not only is different in play style but it can't be similiar to any of the additional applications of other powers as well?
    Well that trumps just all of my current (and practical) ideas and then some.
    Back to the drawing board.

Both. There are some artificial measures that can create a "turning point" to either direction (powers don't always grow, they can weaken too.) Mostly powers grow rather smoothly as the user practices and becomes more familiar with them; theoretically any ESPer could become level 5. It's just that it would take equal obsession as with mastering any other skill (like, say, playing guitar or running); not everyone is cut to devote that much time and effort to their powers.
    I haven't seen a case where a power diminishes though in the wiki. Could you point me to an example of this happening?
    Anyway, what if an esper was put in a life-death situation. I know this wouldn't make every esper make a leap in power, but could it be possible they would grow in a level or two (within reason).

As for the second question: levels are an abstract construct. They mostly tell how wide scale a power has, they don't really tell anything else of the power. It'd be better to think it this way: "sometimes additional uses or increase in power warrants an increase in level". Levels are a grade you get for existing powers. Theoretically, a "turning point" might allow additional uses for a power or make it stronger - as long as the additional effects are in line with the basic premise of the power.
    Let me clarify my question. Could the turning point itself affect how the esper's power develops or diminishes. For example, if an esper went through a training regiment, would his powers theoritically be stable while if another one had artificial power ups that caused his powers to make great unstable leaps?

Not much of a jump start, actually - level 1 is still pretty weak. The transition from level 0 to level 1 is the difference of a power having easily measurable effect.
    Alright.
    Last edited by Bago!!!; 2011-01-17 at 05:49 PM.
    My life for Nerzhul!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

As I recall, Uiharu's ability is able to keep objects at their same temperature. She however can not change the temperature at will, and she can't keep really hot temperatures to maintain because they hurt to hold onto. And she's a level 1.

Maybe this will help you with your character.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    As I recall, Uiharu's ability is able to keep objects at their same temperature. She however can not change the temperature at will, and she can't keep really hot temperatures to maintain because they hurt to hold onto. And she's a level 1.

Maybe this will help you with your character.
    Well I am currently looking through ALL of the character profiles to see what application of use are available.
    So before I come up with basic power, I gotta see if anyone else has taken possible uses in it.
    Last edited by Bago!!!; 2011-01-17 at 06:32 PM.
    My life for Nerzhul!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, so I gotta come up with a power that not only is different in play style but it can't be similiar to any of the additional applications of other powers as well?
    Well that trumps just all of my current (and practical) ideas and then some.
    Back to the drawing board.
    Don't forget the second half of what Frozen said, post an idea for a power so we can see the specifics. And the 'can't be similar to any of the additional applications of other powers as well bit' is mostly for your sake on the grounds of 'who want's their character's entire powerset to be the sub-set of another character's powers?' It usually ends up as no fun for at least one person. Like FF said, and I'll say, think up a power and put it up here so we can offer suggestions on if it's too similar or how to keep the idea but by a different route.

I haven't seen a case where a power diminishes though in the wiki. Could you point me to an example of this happening?
    Anyway, what if an esper was put in a life-death situation. I know this wouldn't make every esper make a leap in power, but could it be possible they would grow in a level or two (within reason).
    It's more a case of Informed Condition. No character is seen to diminish in level (in canon), but it's said that it can happen. Accelerator (the guy you read about before) lost some of his abilities when he gets shot in the head, but not enough power that he ceases to be the most powerful Level 5 of canon.

As for the leap in power...hmm...that's a difficult area to answer. The important thing to remember is that ANY Esper could have a random spurt in power (in theory), but unless they are able to consistently display that level of ability up til the next System Scan, then it's unlikely to affect their level in a positive or negative fashion. I would say that it's more likely that an Esper experiences a surge of power in a life or death situation that acts as a catalyst for that Esper to strive for a higher level because now they know they are CAPABLE of that kind of power and have a reference point for trying to draw on that power again.

Let me clarify my question. Could the turning point itself affect how the esper's power develops or diminishes. For example, if an esper went through a training regiment, would his powers theoritically be stable while if another one had artificial power ups that caused his powers to make great unstable leaps?
    There's...hmm...one or two examples of this I think. One is with a girl who needs a drug to use her powers (because she became dependent on the drug to use her ability) and is considered one of the few with the potential to become a level 5 from what her ability displayed (In this case it would have been to 'copy' the powers of others, but she burned out). A training regiment would be the superior route (in my opinion, mind you) BECAUSE it makes the ability more stable which is far more important. If, say, your ability is to levitate then you should want to know you can levitate on demand, and not rely on the chance that you might spontaneously begin to fly because you use your emotions to fuel your ability and you really want to levitate.

Hope this helps!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't there a database of every esper regestered in different ability categories? If you want to have an ability already taken, you probably can if you ask the person who already has the power if they don't mind.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Don't forget the second half of what Frozen said, post an idea for a power so we can see the specifics. And the 'can't be similar to any of the additional applications of other powers as well bit' is mostly for your sake on the grounds of 'who want's their character's entire powerset to be the sub-set of another character's powers?' It usually ends up as no fun for at least one person. Like FF said, and I'll say, think up a power and put it up here so we can offer suggestions on if it's too similar or how to keep the idea but by a different route.
    I am still thinking of the basic concept of a power right now, and I put what ideas I had down already.

It's true that it usually ends up no fun if for atleast one person if their power is merely a subset but that usually depends on the circumstances. If their both working together it can seem frustrating if their powers overlap in that way but if they have different application to their powers, they could keep doing their own thing without feeling like playing second fiddle. Could a razor wind become a stationary defensive grid?

Also, with the number of profiles, the number of espers, and the number of their powers that have expanded uses and utility, it makes it really difficult to make any power at all without stepping on someone's toes which is definately not fun (atleast for me, some people might thrive on the challenge in making a new power).

It's more a case of Informed Condition. No character is seen to diminish in level (in canon), but it's said that it can happen. Accelerator (the guy you read about before) lost some of his abilities when he gets shot in the head, but not enough power that he ceases to be the most powerful Level 5 of canon.
    Alright.

As for the leap in power...hmm...that's a difficult area to answer. The important thing to remember is that ANY Esper could have a random spurt in power (in theory), but unless they are able to consistently display that level of ability up til the next System Scan, then it's unlikely to affect their level in a positive or negative fashion. I would say that it's more likely that an Esper experiences a surge of power in a life or death situation that acts as a catalyst for that Esper to strive for a higher level because now they know they are CAPABLE of that kind of power and have a reference point for trying to draw on that power again.
    I see... So simply doing something amazing once doesn't mean an esper can automatically do that again in a normal situation later unless they keep trying.

There's...hmm...one or two examples of this I think. One is with a girl who needs a drug to use her powers (because she became dependent on the drug to use her ability) and is considered one of the few with the potential to become a level 5 from what her ability displayed (In this case it would have been to 'copy' the powers of others, but she burned out). A training regiment would be the superior route (in my opinion, mind you) BECAUSE it makes the ability more stable which is far more important. If, say, your ability is to levitate then you should want to know you can levitate on demand, and not rely on the chance that you might spontaneously begin to fly because you use your emotions to fuel your ability and you really want to levitate.
    I know the character your talking about. This answers my question. Thank you.

Isn't there a database of every esper regestered in different ability categories? If you want to have an ability already taken, you probably can if you ask the person who already has the power if they don't mind.
    If there is a database that has it registered under different abilities, I am going to rip my hair out. >w<
    I had assumed that it was a rule that it had to be different in both the basic ability and from expanded uses of said ability. Now I am becoming confused and somewhat frustrated. @_@
    Last edited by Bago!!!; 2011-01-17 at 07:10 PM.
    My life for Nerzhul!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

If there is a database that has it registered under different abilities, I am going to rip my hair out. >w<
    I had assumed that it was a rule that it had to be different in both the basic ability and from expanded uses of said ability. Now I am becoming confused and somewhat frustrated. @_@
    I mean a database in the city. I remember from the show that they would look through the different categories for different espers. For example, the "Dummy Skill" ability had more than just one Esper.

I may be wrong on this though...

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

I mean a database in the city. I remember from the show that they would look through the different categories for different espers. For example, the "Dummy Skill" ability had more than just one Esper.

I may be wrong on this though...
    That database? Oooohhhh... Yeah, there is something like that, but it's listed in the order of highest level to lowest. Not by individual powers (as far as I can tell anyway).
    My life for Nerzhul!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

That database? Oooohhhh... Yeah, there is something like that, but it's listed in the order of highest level to lowest. Not by individual powers (as far as I can tell anyway).
    No, powers are listed as well. During the Level Upper arc, the database was used to list all Espers capable of creating the explosive attacks that were being launched at the time.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    No, powers are listed as well. During the Level Upper arc, the database was used to list all Espers capable of creating the explosive attacks that were being launched at the time.
    Are we talking about the wiki?
    My life for Nerzhul!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Are we talking about the wiki?
    Er, no. Silver and I are referring the the In-Universe database that Academy City maintains on all Espers. I believe Silver's point was that you might well be able to have a power which overlaps with another, provided the other Esper doesn't mind.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2011-01-17 at 09:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Er, no. Silver and I are referring the the In-Universe database that Academy City maintains on all Espers. I believe Silver's point was that you might well be able to have a power which overlaps with another, provided the other Esper doesn't mind.
    Then I am kinda lost.
    My life for Nerzhul!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Then I am kinda lost.
    To put it another way, you don't have to bother checking every single character sheet for power conflicts. All that's really needed is a quick request here asking if anyone minds you using a particular power. Even if it happens to overlap with someone else's abilities, they won't necessarily mind.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

That would be awesome if I didn't already go through them all.
    I'll look through the current notes I have on people's powers and see which powers overlap with the ones I originally came up with.
    Last edited by Bago!!!; 2011-01-17 at 10:14 PM.
    My life for Nerzhul!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Guys and girls, please tell me if you think Cale is getting a little bit too hammy. I was planning to take him down a notch by making him lose control soon, and wanted one last hamfest.