New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Anyone here play Final Fantasy XIV?

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    I mean, like, I can't even start the crafting process. And I'm not sure what sort of level 375(or maybe 275? memory's rough right now) craftsmanship is obtainable at.
    Because it's a 2-star craft, it would have once been part of endgame crafting, so if you want to craft it at the lowest level possible then you'll need to be pretty well-geared. Skimming through the recipes on Garland Tools, 375 craftsmanship is somewhere in the level 50 range. So you're looking at a craft that was meant to challenge a geared level 50.

For comparison, simply finishing the level 60 crafting questlines required stats well north of 500, and I've seen level 70 recipes that require more than 1500 craftsmanship.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2019-07-15 at 01:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    Because it's a 2-star craft, it would have once been part of endgame crafting, so if you want to craft it at the lowest level possible then you'll need to be pretty well-geared. Skimming through the recipes on Garland Tools, 375 craftsmanship is somewhere in the level 50 range. So you're looking at a craft that was meant to challenge a geared level 50.

For comparison, simply finishing the level 60 crafting questlines required stats well north of 500, and I've seen level 70 recipes that require more than 1500 craftsmanship.
    Yeah. You'll be able to make them fine with the level 51 purchaseable crafting gear, let alone anything higher.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Colossus in the Playground

I've beaten Garuda, so now is just the long ramp up to Ultima Weapon and I'm done with A Realm Reborn. I'm level 53, and currently somewhat annoyed at the fact that to get augmented armour you have to grind for resources from dungeons. I really want to be able to dye my relic armour, though I've kinda fallen in love with that cool blue aesthetic.

Apparently there's a hundred quests between A Realm Reborn and Heavensward or something though? I've heard someone say that, but I don't really understand what that means?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I've beaten Garuda, so now is just the long ramp up to Ultima Weapon and I'm done with A Realm Reborn. I'm level 53, and currently somewhat annoyed at the fact that to get augmented armour you have to grind for resources from dungeons. I really want to be able to dye my relic armour, though I've kinda fallen in love with that cool blue aesthetic.

Apparently there's a hundred quests between A Realm Reborn and Heavensward or something though? I've heard someone say that, but I don't really understand what that means?
    Basically, every expansion consists of two 'phases'. First, there's the MSQ that launches with the expansion. For example, A realm reborn's first phase ends with the fights against ultima weapon. After that, there's a set of quests that where part of patches released before the next expansion. These quests often tell a bridging story between the two expansions, wrap up plot-lines that didn't end with killing the final boss and prepare set-up for expansions even further into the future. The set of quests between ARR and heavensward often takes some flak for how slow the general story is, though imho it's got a pretty great pay-off at the end.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-07-17 at 08:04 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Note that you can get raid tier armour for poetics in the endgame hubs. For ARR it'd be Mor Dhona. You basically can skip any sort of dungeon grind for past xpac gear.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Note that you can get raid tier armour for poetics in the endgame hubs. For ARR it'd be Mor Dhona. You basically can skip any sort of dungeon grind for past xpac gear.
    This. If you're at less than level cap (currently 80) you can pretty easily buy your best gear with the Tomestones of Poetics you get from running roulettes and level 50+ content.

Specifically there's Ironworks gear (Lvl 50, iLevel 110-120, Mor Dhona), Shire gear (Lvl 60, iLevel 260-270, Idyllshire) and then Scaevan gear (Lvl 70, iLevel 390-400, Rhalgar's Reach). They all used to be endgame gear for the applicable level cap, so they'll last you most or all of the way to the next set.

Any of the old relics and other gear should only be done if you really like the way they look and want them for glamour purposes.
    Last edited by Tome; 2019-07-17 at 09:11 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Basically, every expansion consists of two 'phases'. First, there's the MSQ that launches with the expansion. For example, A realm reborn's first phase ends with the fights against ultima weapon. After that, there's a set of quests that where part of patches released before the next expansion. These quests often tell a bridging story between the two expansions, wrap up plot-lines that didn't end with killing the final boss and prepare set-up for expansions even further into the future. The set of quests between ARR and heavensward often takes some flak for how slow the general story is, though imho it's got a pretty great pay-off at the end.
    Given what pre-Titan was like, I can't see how it could get worse, but we'll see. I really only bring it up since a friend wants me to move to their server to help me with it but I don't want to make a new character after getting all this far already, and I'm still under the 90 day creation thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I'm only quoting this one but I think you've misunderstood what I mean. I'm not looking to get new stronger better armour, I'm looking for augments/Antique Gear so I can get augmented stuff so I can dye it for aethetic and glamour purposes. I don't know what the end game armour looks like for dragoon but I think the Wyrm/Drachen set probably looks the best. We'll see though.

I also don't know anything about poetics and stuff. I barely even know what that means

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Given what pre-Titan was like, I can't see how it could get worse, but we'll see. I really only bring it up since a friend wants me to move to their server to help me with it but I don't want to make a new character after getting all this far already, and I'm still under the 90 day creation thing.
    I'd say it's slow in a different way. IIRC, pre-titan was lot of standard 'go here and kill X of Y' quests, while this set has a lot of 'go here and talk to X, Y and Z' quests.

9. - Top - End - #129

I'd say it's slow in a different way. IIRC, pre-titan was lot of standard 'go here and kill X of Y' quests, while this set has a lot of 'go here and talk to X, Y and Z' quests.
    As long as it doesn't FEEL menial, it'll probably be fine. Pre-Titan was "okay so we know you killed Ifrit, but since we killed Titan in the past we refuse to tell you any information until you get this food to make a feast" and then you get all the food, which includes committing a felony, wandering across literally all three city-state areas, doing a dungeon with a really annoying poison dragon boss at the end to get cheese, he's like "hey we forgot the wine!" and it turns out the wine quest chain is as long as everything else before it.

And then they are like "Yeah we're holding this feast for some important Scion lady and her friend. Now go set the table, meat-stick" and I'm like you stupid mother****ers made me get the food and set the table for my own damn party.

Then we see it's a joke where they absolutely knew who you were and were just doing it as a Secret Test Of Character because they wanted to be sure I'm good. Which is incredibly stupid given I killed Ifrit that should be pretty clear a reason to assume I'm on the up and up here.

It's... super annoying, and really only saved by the fact that the wine part of the quest is actually a pretty compelling side plot about how fighting a titan, from a normal person's perspective, is ****ing horrifying. The scars of that day still linger, even as we push forward. The apocalypse was within living memory of everyone we interact with and it permeates the world in a fascinating, interesting way.

The only other thing that saves it is that there's one last quest during this that is just Y'Shtola saying "wow you look like you've been through some ****. Sorry about this." and that's it that's the whole quest. You get exp and gil from Y'Shtola being "yeah I did tell them we had to focus on Titan but they're idiots. Don't worry it's okay now." and the best part is that the quest description is "Y'Shtola is concerned about your well being".

So yeah no as long as it's not like that, it should be fine.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-07-17 at 12:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Somewhat relatedly to that last part, I think one of the best parts of FF14 is the quest journal. When it gets snarky, it's a delight to read.
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2019-07-17 at 12:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

As long as it doesn't FEEL menial, it'll probably be fine.
    It'll probably be fine then :P The game actually gets pretty good at recognizing that the list of the WoL's titles and battle-honours would take a couple of minutes to read out in full, and characters start treating you that way once they recognize you.

12. - Top - End - #132

It'll probably be fine then :P The game actually gets pretty good at recognizing that the list of the WoL's titles and battle-honours would take a couple of minutes to read out in full, and characters start treating you that way once they recognize you.
    All I know about late game FFXIV, and I don't wanna know more than this, is an out of context text prompt, one of which has the option "If I have to I will kill your god. Maybe even if I don't." and I've just been carrying that spirit, that energy, into the game entirely.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

As long as it doesn't FEEL menial, it'll probably be fine. Pre-Titan was "okay so we know you killed Ifrit, but since we killed Titan in the past we refuse to tell you any information until you get this food to make a feast" and then you get all the food, which includes committing a felony, wandering across literally all three city-state areas, doing a dungeon with a really annoying poison dragon boss at the end to get cheese, he's like "hey we forgot the wine!" and it turns out the wine quest chain is as long as everything else before it.
    The pre-Titan filler quests are legendarily bad. They don't even make sense -- elsewhere, it's made clear that the adamantoise you're "poaching" are an invasive species in the Shroud, that they're incredibly destructive pests, and that Gridania's armed forces normally kill them on sight.

I don't remember hating the post-ARR quests much, but they do take a while.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

The pre-Titan filler quests are legendarily bad. They don't even make sense -- elsewhere, it's made clear that the adamantoise you're "poaching" are an invasive species in the Shroud, that they're incredibly destructive pests, and that Gridania's armed forces normally kill them on sight.

Isn't there a post-ARR quest that is literally an hour-long cutscene?

15. - Top - End - #135

Given it was all a secret test of the character they were just lying to make it more tense because they're ******* mercenaries. The end result of this quest chain is that they're about as good people as the guy saying he slew "The great Tidus" so he could be a farmer's body guard. It's actually something I kinda like, in a weird way.

Like I mentioned above, this is a world that is five years out from an apocalypse scenario. So we get people who are utterly devoid of hope siding with the bad guys since they are at least stable, like with Le... Le... something, the bad Wood Wailer guy. It's a subtle darkness that permeates the setting. The actual noble heroes are seemingly dead, the only people you can rely on are glorified sell swords with the personality to match, the major powers are a magi-tech hell-empire that is overtly malicious in every sense, a horrifying holy city that is just... just the absolute worst despite being nominally an ally, and three City States... one of which is a barely surviving Sultanate, one of which is a small hippie commune praying that the actual forces of nature won't kick them out, and a literal pirate city.

The world is ****ed from every end, and that's before you get into the Primal's and Ascians. One of the first dungeons you even do is "moon cultists are trying to do some magic **** in this burial mound. It's not THAT big a deal, but um they did actually destroy the moon with their chanting so I guess go stop them" which just carries this depressive weight. I love it.

And I'm not even at the good plot yet, apparently.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    No, that's Praetorium....ok, that one has a few fights thrown into the middle, but....

Great XP for a roulette, though, and real easy.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    No, that's Praetorium....ok, that one has a few fights thrown into the middle, but....

Great XP for a roulette, though, and real easy.
    The end of ARR is half an hour long, I think. But it's worth it. It drove me to actually keep going and buy Heavensward, and boy, I have not regretted that ever since.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

18. - Top - End - #138

I know someone who posts stuff under the tag "MSQRoulette" and it's only right this second that I realize it means "Main Story Queue" and is meant to evoke the "going through the main story" thing. Wow I'm a dumbass. Also I guess post-MSQ would be considered post-game content in regular video games. That's actually pretty cool, I think. Honestly can't wait, I'm nearly level 54 and I'm sorta dreading but also anticipating the sudden flood of class quests I'm going to get from this.

A question about Praetorium. Is there something I can do to make sure I get to watch the story cutscenes when I do it? I know people like to skip and stuff, obviously, but if it's my first time I wanna get what's happening, and I've heard people can basically just about beat it before the cutscene is over?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I know someone who posts stuff under the tag "MSQRoulette" and it's only right this second that I realize it means "Main Story Queue" and is meant to evoke the "going through the main story" thing. Wow I'm a dumbass. Also I guess post-MSQ would be considered post-game content in regular video games. That's actually pretty cool, I think. Honestly can't wait, I'm nearly level 54 and I'm sorta dreading but also anticipating the sudden flood of class quests I'm going to get from this.

A question about Praetorium. Is there something I can do to make sure I get to watch the story cutscenes when I do it? I know people like to skip and stuff, obviously, but if it's my first time I wanna get what's happening, and I've heard people can basically just about beat it before the cutscene is over?
    The two MSQ roulette duties (Praetorium and the other one) have mandatory cutscenes. You can't skip them without glitching things. That's why they take time. And reward oodles of XP (most of a level past level 50).

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

I'm only quoting this one but I think you've misunderstood what I mean. I'm not looking to get new stronger better armour, I'm looking for augments/Antique Gear so I can get augmented stuff so I can dye it for aethetic and glamour purposes. I don't know what the end game armour looks like for dragoon but I think the Wyrm/Drachen set probably looks the best. We'll see though.
    Oh, that.

You can buy the items you need to trade in off of the marketboard.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

21. - Top - End - #141

The two MSQ roulette duties (Praetorium and the other one) have mandatory cutscenes. You can't skip them without glitching things. That's why they take time. And reward oodles of XP (most of a level past level 50).
    Aah, okay. So I'll be fine then as long as I read quickly enough. Got it. I just wish I could commend my party after the cutscenes since people have been so helpful with the primals but they all immediately leave. Square fix please.

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Oh, that.

You can buy the items you need to trade in off of the marketboard.
    I have literally no use for money otherwise so I'll look into this. I wanna dye my armour!!

I mean, maybe. The base Kain colours Wyrmm Armour is actually hella rad looking. But I want to have the option TO dye my armour.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Aah, okay. So I'll be fine then as long as I read quickly enough. Got it. I just wish I could commend my party after the cutscenes since people have been so helpful with the primals but they all immediately leave. Square fix please.
    The timing is actually fixed, and it's not fast. You'll have TONS of time. Warning: some of the enemies love to hear themselves talk. Like...seriously dude...I don't need your whole backstory, hopes, dreams, and crushes since you were 2....

A run through of Praetorium takes ~50 minutes. Of which about 15-20 is active. Seriously. And the last part has 5 fights...and 6 cutscenes, each 3-5 minutes long.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2019-07-17 at 04:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

The timing is actually fixed, and it's not fast. You'll have TONS of time. Warning: some of the enemies love to hear themselves talk. Like...seriously dude...I don't need your whole backstory, hopes, dreams, and crushes since you were 2....

A run through of Praetorium takes ~50 minutes. Of which about 15-20 is active. Seriously. And the last part has 5 fights...and 6 cutscenes, each 3-5 minutes long.
    Look Gaius' evil plot requires everyone to just not interact with me until the very end and they all know they're Final Fantasy villains so they need to get it all out at once. These Judge wannabe's (that actually look rad as hell) have been sorely underutilized.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

From patch 2.5 onward, every so often, you'll get the message "Upon ..., several cutscenes will play in sequence. It is recommended that you set aside enough time to view them in their entirety." I think the first one can take close to an hour, but it's well worth it. Usually this happens at the conclusion of a major story arc, such as 2.5, 3.3, and 4.3.

As Phoenix has already mentioned, 2.0 also has its two final dungeons, which have long mandatory cutscenes before and after almost every objective. A lot of time is usually spent making snarky comments about the cutscenes, with most of the actual playtime spent skipping mobs and trying to troll the healers with superbolide.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

From patch 2.5 onward, every so often, you'll get the message "Upon ..., several cutscenes will play in sequence. It is recommended that you set aside enough time to view them in their entirety." I think the first one can take close to an hour, but it's well worth it. Usually this happens at the conclusion of a major story arc, such as 2.5, 3.3, and 4.3.

As Phoenix has already mentioned, 2.0 also has its two final dungeons, which have long mandatory cutscenes before and after almost every objective. A lot of time is usually spent making snarky comments about the cutscenes, with most of the actual playtime spent skipping mobs and trying to troll the healers with superbolide.
    I'm glad that other players don't lose patience at people who have to go through the cutscenes. It's nice that the playerbase is understanding.

26. - Top - End - #146

The only bad part of the community I've seen are tanks who insist on pulling everything.

I get it you've done this before, stop running forward. Let me stab the things to death I can't do that if you're running away pulling everything aaaah.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I'm glad that other players don't lose patience at people who have to go through the cutscenes. It's nice that the playerbase is understanding.
    They're stuck in them as well, so no point in raging. And they get a bonus for first-timers, so it works out. Plus the rewards for the MSQ roulette are just that big.

But yeah, this game has one of the best playerbases I've seen. Generally kind and helpful, not so elite/"git gud nub" as in other MMOs.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

They're stuck in them as well, so no point in raging. And they get a bonus for first-timers, so it works out. Plus the rewards for the MSQ roulette are just that big.

But yeah, this game has one of the best playerbases I've seen. Generally kind and helpful, not so elite/"git gud nub" as in other MMOs.
    I meant cutscenes in general. Loads of low-level dungeons have those.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I meant cutscenes in general. Loads of low-level dungeons have those.
    Yeah true. I'll admit, people aren't always happy, at least in the low level ones they've run a thousand times, but I've not heard too much grumping.

And all dungeons have at least 2: the one at the very start and the last boss reveal. They're usually pretty short, though. SE is smart enough to keep there long ones to after the dungeon, when the rest of the party isn't bound anymore.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

The only bad part of the community I've seen are tanks who insist on pulling everything.

I get it you've done this before, stop running forward. Let me stab the things to death I can't do that if you're running away pulling everything aaaah.
    As a tank main who's been playing the game for several years - pulling one pack at a time is counterproductive, because a competent healer and a competent tank can hold two to three packs at once, while DPS AoE them down. It's why most classes got added AoE rotations in ShB, even.

Also, it's way more fun, because a single pack isn't really dangerous and wastes time more than threatens you.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).