New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 2 rounds to kill a target that has infinite SR and is immune to Saving Throws

This thread reminds me of the Omnidroid from The Incredibles.

Also, since the Stuffy Doll ability is (Su), couldn't you just use a Transdimensional Antimagic Field to suppress it until the timer expired?
    Last edited by Chess435; 2012-09-24 at 08:25 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 2 rounds to kill a target that has infinite SR and is immune to Saving Throws

Wow, this is going to take a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Raendyn View Post
    a) How can something without Con score have regeneration?
    Look at the Atropal. It is an Undead creature and possess regeneration. A Constitution score is not a pre-requisite for having regeneration.

b)Have an antimagic field and extraordinary spell aim to exclude yourself and then all instantaneous creation effects will work. This also takes care of the globe and makes you immune to dispell and DJ. so whatever killed v9 kills v10 with AMF and ESA
    This has been pointed out I am still not entirely convinced on the argument that states that an Anti-magic field allows for orbs to be casting into it, but regardless, the Stuffy Doll is an incorporeal Undead meaning that it winks away the moment you surround it with an Anti-magic field. You are now stuck with the curse with no way of saving yourself, it's the same thing as preventing the creature from popping down on you. The creature doesn't kill you, it's curse does and to respond to the inevitable argument of "I cast remove curse", the Stuffy Doll's ability Stuffy Doll isn't exactly a curse it is in essence the Stuffy Doll using Future Sight on you (in gen V).

Now to a new trick.(too tired to put great thought effort in this but I think I'll do it.)

Be a theurge of erudite and wizard, being a changeling fills in the fluf pretty well.

STP variant opens a whole bunch of new ways to kill it, since psionics can deal sonic dmg on the fly.
    You've discover a way to deal damage to the Stuffy Doll. Good job now figure out a way to negate it's Karma without causing it to wink out of existance and peeing in your soup.

The new trick is simple. Be a shaper, give your psicrystal all feats that increase UPD and all results save nat 1 will activate dordjes. with your money you can provide enough dordjes with powers tha deal sonic dmg enough to kill 1billion hp. and STP can give you any spell ina dordje, remember a dorje has no max spell lvl.(isnt there a feat that allows you to umd even on a nat 1? or reroll it?)

You cast synchronicity with this ready action:
    you: I will cast synchronicity, my ready action is: after my psicrystal takes its standard action I use synchronicity again.
    But your synchronicity also affects psicrystal which can make a ready action of its own.
    crystal: I phew phew the enemy
    you: again I sychronicity with same ready action.
    crystal: phew phew
    you : same
    Crystal: Phew Phew
    the dmg is not from you so Karma doesnt apply, even if we count crystal as part of yourself, then as a changeling wizard you take a few lvls in recaster and get extra spell delay death.
    With Karma it doesn't actually have to come from you, all you have to do is be either directly or indirectly involved. Heres the thing, the moment your delay death wears off you die. Because effectively the Stuffy Doll is using Purify to remove your Delay death and finishing you with it's Curse.

Also, Where/What is archetypal shape?
    Archetypal Shape is an Ex that the Sharn have. It makes it so that you cannot polymorph, shapechange or be polymorphied into a Sharn or in this case a Stuff Doll.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    This thread reminds me of the Omnidroid from The Incredibles.
    Heh... I'd like to see more threads like these... They're entertaining and force players to be a little bit more creative instead of using the standard BS that they have to

Quote Originally Posted by standard thread start
    HAI GUIZ! I NED AN UB3R L337 BILD DAT LES ME PWN AL DE NUBZORZ @ MI TABL!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st response
    AMERUGURD! U SHULD PLAY A WIZZZURD! SO OORIGINL! DA PWN ALL DE NUUB NUBBS LOLOLLOLOLOL
    No offense playground, but I see the same old "Help me optimize", DWK, Wizard Vs Chuck Norris thread at least twice a week and it's... meh, whatever... I'm just one forum go'er and complaining about it won't make it any better
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-09-24 at 08:28 PM.
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Quasi-RAW because by RAW you never get to stop the attack. You just keep rolling damage 'till doomsday, the gamestate freezes and you break the system. There is no way to resolve your attack because you have no way of breaking the loop yourself. 1d2 Crusader does not work by RAW, and should not be by any other measure. It's one of my pet peeve tricks because it's so often misrepresented.
    By definition, "infinity" is more than any defined number, even if it can never be resolved (but fitted into an algorithm, it wouldn't). Your own post involved breaking an infinite loop involving revolving hits, so you *know* that this can be circumvented.

This thing never actually had magical concealment, but point. I assumed you meant to help bring down that AC.
    That was just for the inevitable "but what if it had concealment?" that I expected to follow.

I was just correcting your "always AC10" thing. You claimed that you could hit even infinite AC on a 10, I refuted that claim.
    "Assumed to be hittable" precludes this. I assume from sentence 1 that this undead does not have random sacred, profane, luck bonuses, etc., because the version I fought explicitly listed none (just a DEX score of 1).

My method at least uses spells, as the OP requested. You submitted a martial build that uses a cleric level to access Cleric-specific abilities and never uses a spell whatsoever.
    The first ten words of the benefit text of Imbued Healing are "Whenever you cast a lst-level or higher conjuration (healing) spell . . ." (counting "1st-level" as one word)... Which means that, by definition, I am required to cast a Conjuration (healing) spell for my combo to work.

Also, yes. Clearly my method at the time did not work because I forgot it was Mindless. Primarily because that's nonsense (Mindless creatures should not have the presence of mind to single out a target from across the multiverse), but whatever.
    Mindless meat sacks should also not have arbitrarily high profane/sacred/luck/etc bonuses.

If my post sounded harsh, it's just because I was responding to very strong claims on your part (always successful, no chance of failure), and because you were using my least-favorite example of really bad RAW-lawyering. I don't have any issue with you at all.
    I don't recall ever saying the former (I just checked; I didn't). As for the latter, this is clearly a TO thought experiment; what, exactly, were you expecting? Your very own example involved diplomancy to overcome SR/saves, Lightning Mace shenanigans, and infinite Share Pain loops to kill the thing. At what point did I cross the line into inexcusable?

EDIT: to Arcanist: you listed its touch AC... But what is its flat-footed?
    Last edited by Lonely Tylenol; 2012-09-24 at 09:06 PM.
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Look at the Atropal. It is an Undead creature and possess regeneration. A Constitution score is not a pre-requisite for having regeneration.
    Actually, it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Regeneration
    A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.
    The Atropal breaks the rules, and arguably should be corrected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Actually, it is:

The Atropal breaks the rules, and arguably should be corrected.
    I shall use the Dragonwrought Kobold argument! "Well, since X defies this rule then it doesn't apply to all of them or any of them for that matter."

but seriously, I have some egg on my face after that one On a side note: Does a Zombie Tarrasque lose it's Regeneration? I mean the Zombie template specifically states that it keeps all of it's extraordinary abilities which Regeneration is... so... Well... crap...

RAW vs RAW WHO WILL WIN!?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I shall use the Dragonwrought Kobold argument! "Well, since X defies this rule then it doesn't apply to all of them or any of them for that matter."

but seriously, I have some egg on my face after that one On a side note: Does a Zombie Tarrasque lose it's Regeneration? I mean the Zombie template specifically states that it keeps all of it's extraordinary abilities which Regeneration is... so... Well... crap...

RAW vs RAW WHO WILL WIN!?
    Don't worry, there are a bunch of ways to break that 'rule'.

So, version 10? Is it still up?

Sorcerer//Wizard (with four levels of Dweomerkeeper)

Feats of Note: Leadership (Need a bunch of Squires of Legend(Reikhardt) -- 30 ought to do it. Arcane Thesis (Mage's Lucubration), Twin Spell, Sanctum Spell, Invisible Spell, Cooperative Spell, and Versatile Spellcaster.

Delay until after all of your followers, have gone, each bestowing another use of Supernatural Spell upon you. Yes, you can soak the Disjunction, and the GDM, since you have no active spells, and no magic items.

Use GAF loop to cast an arbitrary amount of Celerities (I think I use less than 100). Cast Twin Sanctum Invisible Cooperative Mage's Lucubration 60 times. You now have (at least 60 6th level spell slots).

Cast (using Versatile Spellcaster if you feel like it) 30 supernatural Avasculates. It auto passes the save, which means nothing. Each spell reduces its hp to half round down (this is not damage, and so is not returned). This reduces it to 0 hp, which kills it as an undead.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

On a side note: Does a Zombie Tarrasque lose it's Regeneration? I mean the Zombie template specifically states that it keeps all of it's extraordinary abilities which Regeneration is... so... Well... crap...
    In this specific case there's no problem; Regeneration does not "improve its melee or ranged attacks", so out it goes.

In general I'd say that a template indicating a large swath of abilities are retained when becoming undead/construct is more general than Regeneration saying it cannot be retained at Con -.

Edit: I thought of (and actually mentioned) avasculate, but isn't it actually a [death] effect, and therefore blocked by undead immunity?
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2012-09-24 at 10:28 PM.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Don't worry, there are a bunch of ways to break that 'rule'.

So, version 10? Is it still up?

Sorcerer//Wizard (with four levels of Dweomerkeeper)

Feats of Note: Leadership (Need a bunch of Squires of Legend(Reikhardt) -- 30 ought to do it. Arcane Thesis (Mage's Lucubration), Twin Spell, Sanctum Spell, Invisible Spell, Cooperative Spell, and Versatile Spellcaster.

Delay until after all of your followers, have gone, each bestowing another use of Supernatural Spell upon you. Yes, you can soak the Disjunction, and the GDM, since you have no active spells, and no magic items.

Use GAF loop to cast an arbitrary amount of Celerities (I think I use less than 100). Cast Twin Sanctum Invisible Cooperative Mage's Lucubration 60 times. You now have (at least 60 6th level spell slots).

Cast (using Versatile Spellcaster if you feel like it) 30 supernatural Avasculates. It auto passes the save, which means nothing. Each spell reduces its hp to half round down (this is not damage, and so is not returned). This reduces it to 0 hp, which kills it as an undead.
    As an Undead it has flat out immunity to any effects of Avasculate since it doesn't effect an object. on that note, nah 10's been done for a while, I'm just suffering a little bit of a hole in this. I can't think of something to add to it that makes it harder to kill without adding a Divine Rank, thanks for adding more insight to this though... I have an idea, that I'd like to test on you though *scribble*

EDIT: and yes Avasculate is a Death effect.

EDIT v2: V.11 is up and ready. I welcome you all to try and break the endless silence.
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-09-24 at 10:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

As an Undead it has flat out immunity to any effects of Avasculate since it doesn't effect an object. on that note, nah 10's been done for a while, I'm just suffering a little bit of a hole in this. I can't think of something to add to it that makes it harder to kill without adding a Divine Rank, thanks for adding more insight to this though... I have an idea, that I'd like to test on you though *scribble*

EDIT: and yes Avasculate is a Death effect.

EDIT v2: V.11 is up and ready. I welcome you all to try and break the endless silence.
    So previous method with sudden silent spell.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by olentu View Post
    So previous method with sudden silent spell.
    I derped~

*Scribble*

EDIT: Alright, forced teleportation is removed from Scruffy Doll. Meaning it doesn't be near you to warn you physically. Retroactively assume that you're character knows that the Scruffy Doll WILL kill you.
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-09-24 at 11:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I derped~

*Scribble*

EDIT: Alright, forced teleportation is removed from Scruffy Doll. Meaning it doesn't be near you to warn you physically. Retroactively assume that you're character knows that the Scruffy Doll WILL kill you.
    You really don't think we can squeeze in a Sudden/Metamagic Quickened Wish (or a normal Wish) for the Transport Travelers function (you to Stuffy Doll)?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Do we retroactively know it's location? If not, we still might be able to get there with a carefully worded wish.

Edit: Ninja'd by Glyphstone.
    Last edited by Chess435; 2012-09-24 at 11:08 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    You really don't think we can squeeze in a Sudden/Metamagic Quickened Wish (or a normal Wish) for the Transport Travelers function (you to Stuffy Doll)?
    I think, I'm under-estimating the playground's power

Alright, to hell with fairness.

One minute lemme pull out that sourcebook that was written by a bunch of monkeys with calculators and just had words that made sense put in later (I'm partially joking)

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

I think, I'm under-estimating the playground's power

Alright, to hell with fairness.

One minute lemme pull out that sourcebook that was written by a bunch of monkeys with calculators and just had words that made sense put in later (I'm partially joking)
    Immortal's handbook? Also, can we call it a win for the playground if the OP hits the character limit?
    Last edited by Chess435; 2012-09-24 at 11:12 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Immortal's handbook? Also, can we call it a win for the playground if the OP hits the character limit?
    Call it a win, when I just scoop and call it a day

V.13: Creature has Undead (Incorporeal) creature type, 1 billion HP, 84 million HD, Touch AC 5,300, - str, 1 dex, - con, - int, 1 wis, 1 cha, DR 15/-, Fire, Cold, Lightning, Acid & Sonic Resistance 20, Regeneration (takes normal damage from sonic spells), Immunity to Ability damage/drain, Wish, Miracle and Limited Wish in addition to previous immunities, Archetypal Shape (see Sharn). Status: Still Standing

Location: In a temple about 50miles away from the Spire on the Outlands.

Additional ability:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stuffy Doll (Ex)
    Once per day, the Stuffy Doll can declare one target. No matter where that creature is in the Multiverse it will find the creature and kill it. If the creature manages to return to life somehow the stuffy doll will continue to kill it. Regardless of the Stuffy Dolls condition, nothing short of complete destruction will free the targeted creature from this curse. Once this curse is placed upon a creature the target has 2 rounds to response to it before it dies. The subject is automatically aware of being cursed.

Karma (Ex)
    The Stuffy Doll is a living punishment tool and as a result it has learned to share it's pain with a creature that it has cursed. When a Stuffy Doll uses it's Curse upon a creature a link is created between the Stuffy Doll and the target begin to share a soul. In essence, the creature takes any damage that the Stuffy Doll takes with an additional 20 points of damage. This bond only works for damage sent from the victim. For example: Milee is targeted by a Stuffy Doll, Milee attacks the Stuffy doll with a heightened Orb of Sound dealing 23 sonic damage (accounting for resistance). In response, Milee takes 43 damage due to Karma.

Purify (Ex)
    The Stuffy Doll hates all life, and if given the option would willingly end all life in the Multiverse, however it also has a respect for Death and creatures it kills. Magic disrupts the balance of life and death so the Stuffy Doll respectfully cleanses his victims soul allowing them to continue the grand cycle. The Stuffy Doll, each round that it has it's curse on a creature immediately delivers a greater dispel magic and disjuction upon them.

Silence (Ex)
    Silence surrounds the victim of the Stuffy Dolls curse to the point where it impedes the very fabric of reality. Victims of the Stuffy Doll ability are continuously surrounded by a silence effect. The silence last until the curse plays out entirely.
    Try and kill this one
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-09-24 at 11:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Replace Wish with Reality Revision to get you there. Also, you forgot to change the status for v12.

Edit: Nevermind, the Spire's (Su) ability negation effect prevents the doll from killing you in the first place, so it just beats itself.
    Last edited by Chess435; 2012-09-24 at 11:32 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Replace Wish with Reality Revision to get you there. Also, you forgot to change the status for v12.

Edit: Nevermind, the Spire's (Su) ability negation effect prevents the doll from killing you in the first place, so it just beats itself.
    Look again. They're (Ex) now

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Question: Can Planar Shepherd override the Spire's magic negation thingy?
    ^~Cody T.~^

19. - Top - End - #169
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

My previous Sorcerer sling Infinite Orbs of Sound with Attune Form? I might need Druid/Planar Shepherd on the other side.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    My previous Sorcerer sling Infinite Orbs of Sound with Attune Form? I might need Druid/Planar Shepherd on the other side.
    You could probably just use vestments of steady spellcasting. As I recall they let one ignore the magic trait of a plane and cast normally, except for dead magic.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

On another plane, round 1: shapeshift -> Chronotyryn, greater plane shift to an area 9ths work, optional move/swift actions (probably to determine location of target), teleportation circle pointing to the monster's area.
    Round 2: infinite-spell abuse to summon a very great many monsters with wizard spellcasting (orb of sound, etc). Monsters move through and use standards to hit it.

Job done.

Edit: hmm... getting a good sonic spell is not quite as easy as force, but it's still not too hard.

Edit again: probably won't work at all for reasons I neglected.
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2012-09-25 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Bleh

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by olentu View Post
    You could probably just use vestments of steady spellcasting. As I recall they let one ignore the magic trait of a plane and cast normally, except for dead magic.
    Nope, those just give +5 to concentration checks.
    ^~Cody T.~^

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

On another plane, round 1: shapeshift -> Chronotyryn, greater plane shift to an area 9ths work, optional move/swift actions (probably to determine location of target), teleportation circle pointing to the monster's area.
    Round 2: infinite-spell abuse to summon a very great many monsters with cleric spellcasting (spiritual weapon) who move through and whack the target on natural 20s.

Job done.
    The Astral Plane is cut off there, you'll need to UPD a scroll power stone of reality revision to get there, and that caps at 1 creature per ML.
    Last edited by Chess435; 2012-09-25 at 12:06 AM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

The Astral Plane is cut off there, you'll need to UPD a scroll of reality revision to get there, and that caps at 1 creature per ML.
    My mistake. That's trickier then.

(I do wonder why a monster from the Immortals Handbook is hiding behind the skirts of the Lady of Pain, though....)

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

The Astral Plane is cut off there, you'll need to UPD a scroll of reality revision to get there, and that caps at 1 creature per ML.
    Please note: that we're going with Psy-Magic Transparency You can reality revision or wish your way into the Temple if you really want, but... I welcome you to walk out alive

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

We'll work that out when we get there. The doll no longer has it's Globe of Invulnerability, and we have access to up a 4th level spell via Invoke Magic. Any ideas?
    ^~Cody T.~^

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, OK, plane-crossing mind bullets can go both ways. I'm thinking love's pain abuse (and ability damage mitigation or some such) should do the job here, but a) I don't remember if it bypasses regeneration; b) not quite sure whether the Spire counts as antimagic field or not.

But Arcanist, I honestly think you're getting very close to the point of pure fiat.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, OK, plane-crossing mind bullets can go both ways. I'm thinking love's pain abuse (and ability damage mitigation or some such) should do the job here, but a) I don't remember if it bypasses regeneration; b) not quite sure whether the Spire counts as antimagic field or not.
    If you can complete it in 2 rounds, go right ahead. The Spire counts as... well the Spire... It negates everything it describes and not just magic. Thanks to the Spire, I can more or less drop a lot of the defenses I've created.

But Arcanist, I honestly think you're getting very close to the point of pure fiat.
    I know, I know and it kills me a little If this Scruffy Doll variant is defeated I will completely surrender

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Limited Magic does not count as an AMF, otherwise we could just Initiate of Mystara around it.
    ^~Cody T.~^

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope, those just give +5 to concentration checks.
    Bah I meant vestments of steadfast spellcasting not steady spellcasting.