New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Is Serini still alive?

Hey I've been wondering about if Serini might be still alive. Has there ever been confirmation that she is no longer alive?
    I know Xykon has her diary/journal but if I remember correctly she didn't actually stay at Kraagor's gate. From what I understood she filled the place with monsters and then left never truly retiring.
    Is there a chance that she might pop up somewhere along the line? Also apparently she stayed in contact with Girard so I wouldn't say it is out of the question that she might have found out what happened to Girard's descendants ect.

That is if she hasn't died of old age of course.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Is Serini still alive?

To the best of my knowledge it hasn't been stated that Serini is alive or dead. As I recall, what we do know is that she never retired, Xykon has her diary, and she didn't respond to a sending spell from the Order.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    To the best of my knowledge it hasn't been stated that Serini is alive or dead. As I recall, what we do know is that she never retired, Xykon has her diary, and she didn't respond to a sending spell from the Order.
    Xykon has her diary and she never retired...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xykon is Serini! Of course! It all makes sense now!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Xykon has her diary and she never retired...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Xykon is Serini! Of course! It all makes sense now!
    Uhhh...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope! Start of Darkness showed Xykon as a sadistic child, therefore he was born AFTER Serini.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Uhhh...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope! Start of Darkness showed Xykon as a sadistic child, therefore he was born AFTER Serini.
    Spoiler
    Show
    How do we know that wasn't secret Serini in disguise? I mean, we've never seen Xykon and Serini at the same place at the same time.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    How do we know that wasn't secret Serini in disguise? I mean, we've never seen Xykon and Serini at the same place at the same time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes we have because Serini is clearly the MitD and has amnesia!
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Uhhh...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    That was a boy named Xykon. But as we all know, all undead look exactly the same. Thus Serini simply killed Xykon and turned into an undead, disguising herself as a charismatic imbecile until the time was ripe.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    That was a boy named Xykon. But as we all know, all undead look exactly the same. Thus Serini simply killed Xykon and turned into an undead, disguising herself as a charismatic imbecile until the time was ripe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Indeed. I mean, there's nothing to disprove the theory....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

I like how my crackpot theory is gaining "support."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Uhhh...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uhh...

Spoiler
    Show
    Nope! Start of Darkness showed Xykon as a sadistic child, therefore he was born BEFORE Serini. Considering he's over one hundred years old. And the Order of the Scribble had disbanded only after he was an old man.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Halflings live longer, right? What's the rules on that? Girard is long dead in the present time. Serini seemed pretty adolescent in the crayon comics, what with her high school girl writing style.

I could see her still being alive when we get to the end of the story in 2018 or so. Then, she reveals what made OOTS break up in the first place and what Girard was so angry about that he attempted murder with his desert explosion trap.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Halflings live longer, right? What's the rules on that? Girard is long dead in the present time. Serini seemed pretty adolescent in the crayon comics, what with her high school girl writing style.
    Thats the real question here. It wouldn't be unrealistic even if halfling lifespan was the same as humans. Dorukan was still alive 6 months before the beginning of the comic although he was ancient. Lirian too.

Now also keep in mind that everyone in the party has been represented as incredibly powerful in least in terms of being able to take on the toughest baddies in the comic (even if they lost those confrontations in the cases of Lirian and Dorukan).

If she is still alive and aware of the situation with the gates falling one by one she may end up showing up. If so thats another high level adventurer for the good guys.

Another thought, she had feelings for Girard right? Maybe once she finds out about V's effect on Girard's descendants...well that may not end well.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

the end of the story in 2018
    Wow, you're optimistic.

Speaking seriously, I think it's likely. We've encountered all of the other gate-keepers in some form, and I doubt that Serini's diary would be all we get for her. Plus, she's the only surviving - and most trustworthy - source for what exactly went down back then anyway, which is still a major unanswered question. As for the technical details of her survival, it's not hard to speculate - halflings do live longer, and given that she's epic she may have some means of extending her life as well.

There's only one real reason I'd guess against it, and it's related to another unanswered question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    just how did Xykon get the diary during his three missing years in SoD...?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm in the opposite camp. Serini was the type who liked to wander the world adventuring, which is a high-risk profession, and you have to ask how Xykon came by her diary if she's still alive?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Remember Vaarsuvius was unable to contact Serini via sending, which means she is most likely already dead, or at least on another plane. Hypertext says nothing of how can a Sending spell be dodged.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

She's in a box petting Shrodinger's cat.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by 2323mike View Post
    Hypertext says nothing of how can a Sending spell be dodged.
    You can simply chose not to answer.

I think Serini is still alive and she's going to do some Plot Exposition before the comic fully launches into the last arc.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think Serini is on the world inside the Snarl, along with Kraagor, Mijung Soon, and the Gods of the West.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    You can simply chose not to answer.
    So if I understand this correctly, the caster of the Sending spell can't know the difference between:

1. His/her spell reached the target, delivered the message, but the target did not respond.

2. His/her spell didn't reach the target at all, possibly because the target is dead.

Because V said she was unable to contact miss Toormuck, I automatically assumed that she didn't deliver the message at all.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If I were to bet based solely on evidence, I would say it's morew likely she's dead, since she would not have surrendered her diary to xykon easily. Of course, she could have done just that - know when to walk away and know when to run, that kind of stuff. Anyway, there's enough argument to be made for an alive serini too.

Being this a story, it will be decided by narrative purpose, so there's really no saying
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

If video games have taught me anything, it's that people do not love their diaries. Serini probably tore her diary into 57 parts and then spread them throughout a dungeon, and Xykon painstakingly reassembled them because he wanted an achievement
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

22. - Top - End - #22

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    If video games have taught me anything, it's that people do not love their diaries. Serini probably tore her diary into 57 parts and then spread them throughout a dungeon, and Xykon painstakingly reassembled them because he wanted an achievement
    I love this quote.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Everyone is convinced that Serini is a non-entity, but look at the kind of stuff Right-Eye, as a high level rogue, was pulling. All sneaking in to human cities and making deals and buying positive-energy daggers on the sly, and shizz. Now imagine what shenanigans an epic level bard gets up to. So what if she doesn't have a fortress? It just makes her impossible to track down. She can know whatever she wants to know. I bet she knows about the Order and Xykon and everything.

She's probably all silly and comic relief-y, but you know who else is a goofy kind of character? Tarquin.

I'm telling, you guys. Serini be running this.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2323mike View Post
    Remember Vaarsuvius was unable to contact Serini via sending, which means she is most likely already dead, or at least on another plane. Hypertext says nothing of how can a Sending spell be dodged.
    Huh? How, exactly, is Serini supposed to reply? Sending is a one-way communcation. Serini can't cast spells.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Huh? How, exactly, is Serini supposed to reply? Sending is a one-way communcation. Serini can't cast spells.
    She can still cast off of scrolls.

Sweet merciful god, Giant, PLEASE get better soon!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm in the opposite camp. Serini was the type who liked to wander the world adventuring, which is a high-risk profession, and you have to ask how Xykon came by her diary if she's still alive?
    Yeah, but Serini was with her group, and they all had tons of adventures and got to epic level. So, she passed the high-risk part of her career.

Her diary is the big question - how'd Xykon get it? The obvious answer is he tracked her down and killed her to get it. However, the author typically doesn't like the obvious answer unless it's funny. I like to think he found it in a library somehow, Gandalf-style. All we can do is speculate, seeing as there's nothing else to do until next year at least.

How do you go about finding something that you don't even know exists when you start? Xykon went questing for Gate information and ended up with Serini's diary. What are the A -> Z steps for something like that in D&D terms?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    She can still cast off of scrolls.
    How does anyone know if she even has the proper scroll lying around? Even so, she has to pass her caster check. Plus, she has to WANT to reply! If I was guarding a secret world-shattering ward I probably wouldn't say anything, especially to an unknown caller ID.

How many years has it been since OOTSc and the gate quest? Someone ask Belkar how long halflings live.

"Not for long if I have anything to say about it!"
    Last edited by Finagle; 2012-10-26 at 01:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

BardGuy

Maybe by using the 25 word response?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    ...with a limited battery supply on his flash light while being pursued by a faceless man.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Someone ask Belkar how long halflings live.

"Not for long if I have anything to say about it!"
    If Belkar is Serini's relative ( I know...), then it would explain why he's tagged along with the Order all this time.
    My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine