New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Staffmaster Fighter Paragon Path (4e)

Another one of my many homebrew projects. It doesn't really compare to a lot of the existing fighter paragon paths, so i was wondering what some impressions were.

Staffmaster

Prerequisites: Fighter class, two-handed weapon talent, weapon focus quarterstaff

Staff Mastery (11)
    You increase the dice size of your quarterstaff attacks when you make a successful attack roll with any attack that includes your quarterstaff
    Perfect Balance (11)
    When you are knocked prone, you can spend an action point to make a saving throw against it with a +3 bonus. If you suceed, each adjacent enemy takes damage equal to your Strength modifier
    Staff Rhythm (16)
    You deal your Constitution modifier in additional damage for each consecutive turn you strike the same enemy with a power that includes the weapon keyword and targets only that creature, to a maximum of 4. If you have combat advantage and a maxed staff rhythm against a target, you maintain combat advantage until your rhythm is broken.

Staff Leap
    You leap over your opponent and strike him from behind
    Encounter * Martial, Weapon
    Standard Action Melee Weapon
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Strength vs. AC
    Hit: You shift directly to the opposite side of the creature and deal 1[W] + Strength Modifier + Constitution Modifier Damage. You do not provoke opportunity attacks from any other creatures, and gain combat advantage against the target until the end of your next turn.

Staff Press
    Encounter Utility * Martial, Weapon
    Immediate Reaction
    Trigger: You land a successful hit with your staff
    You push your opponent squares equal to your Constitution modifier and follow them in the same direction. You do not provoke opportunity attacks when you perform this move.

Lightning Dance of Death
    Daily Attack * Martial, Weapon, Lightning
    Standard Action Close Burst 1
    Target: All enemies in burst you can see
    Attack: Strength vs. Reflex
    Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier Lightning damage
    Miss: Half damage
    Special: If every attack hits, this power is not expended but it cannot be used again this encounter

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Staffmaster Fighter Paragon Path (4e)

I think it's interesting, I never really payed much attention to staves before. I have a few questions and suggestions, but some of them are more about how you phrased something or clarifying what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    weapon focus quarterstaff
    I think you mean Weapon Focus Staff, that's the weapon group. Not a real problem, just a small correction.

For staff rhythm, does the additional damage stack as the rhythm continues? Eg, is it Con Modifier on the second hit, Con x 2 on the third, Con x 3 on the fourth, and so on? If the damage does stack, I would consider reducing the amount of times it's dealt, perhaps only 2 or 3 instead of the listed 4.

I like it overall, I'd be interested to see how it works out in combat. I can see myself making good use of some of those powers. Nothing seems blatantly overpowered or useless to me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: Staffmaster Fighter Paragon Path (4e)

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    For staff rhythm, does the additional damage stack as the rhythm continues? Eg, is it Con Modifier on the second hit, Con x 2 on the third, Con x 3 on the fourth, and so on? If the damage does stack, I would consider reducing the amount of times it's dealt, perhaps only 2 or 3 instead of the listed 4.
    Your right, it does stack. I.e. my Con bonus is +3. After attacking an enemy 5 consequetive times (engage, rhythm 1, rhythm 2, rhythm 3, rhythm 4) i deal an additional 12 damage. That is probably way overpower, so maybe i'll make it a max 2 or 3 like you suggested. Maybe 2 is best because he also gets the maintain comabt advantage part of it.

Note: Lightning Dance of Death should have a "Special: Does not break Staff Rhythm on current target" tag at the end.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Staffmaster Fighter Paragon Path (4e)

I'd suggest making the rythm cap after 3 turns or 2 turns (not sure how to say it).

The first attack would do normal damage.
    The second attack would do normal damage+con
    The third attack would do normal damage+2con
    The fourth attack would do normal damage+2 con
    etc.

It's extremely well balanced, and it also looks fun to play.
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I, however, will do some Necromancy.

I really, really like this. Good show. In fact, I hope wizards does something like this for every weapon category in Martial Power. The only suggestion I have is (In the future) adapt it to work with monks. I might do so when Martial Power comes out, as I've always wanted to do a staff/monk weapon fighter, but 3.5 never really supported that very well.

Another thing: I really miss everything having flavor text. They cut it out for some of their things, like the passive Paragon Path abilities. Case in Point: What is Perfect Balance supposed to look like? Whenever I read about things that do damage that don't offer flavor text, I can't help but imagine enemies randomly recoiling in pain while the initiator does nothing.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

Secret Option F, The Steam Group!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

^ Perfect Balance Visualisation:

1. The Enemy knocks you prone
    2. You throw back your staff and let your weight fall into it, swinging around it and kicking every adjacent enemy as you spin around the axis that is your staff and end the spin upright again, ready to fight.
    3. Enemies go "whoa!", or pick some choice profanity.

How's that?
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

7. - Top - End - #7

Thats about what I was thinking.

Also, if you've ever play Soul Caliber, Kilik does a wicked stand up where he goes up onto the tip of his (vertical) staff, then brings it up and slams it into the enemy. I imagined that too, with more of a helicopter effect.

Of course, thats the "4E is anime" version.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vazzaroth View Post
    Thats about what I was thinking.

Also, if you've ever play Soul Caliber, Kilik does a wicked stand up where he goes up onto the tip of his (vertical) staff, then brings it up and slams it into the enemy. I imagined that too, with more of a helicopter effect.

Of course, thats the "4E is anime" version.
    I do, in fact, own Soul Caliber II, and I did, in fact, think of Kilik while making this (though not exclusively, there was other inspirations)
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

9. - Top - End - #9

Ok, so I was reading in the new Dragon Magazine article on Gladiators and there was a feat that I Immediately wanted to point out with this paragon path. (Good thing I still had it subscribed) The feat is "Staff Fighting", makes it a Double Weapon with the Defensive and Off-hand properties.

Awesome.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!