New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We All Scream

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default We All Scream

There has been much talk of strawberry ice cream lately, and how this might be used as an actual dessert. So it is time for the forum to have an objective and balanced guide on which ice cream to eat, for optimal dining pleasure.

Many kinds of ice cream exist in the world, but only two are relevant to the discussion at hand. These are strawberry ice cream, and chocolate ice cream. I will now objectively compare the two of them, and list the strong and weak points of each. Remember, anybody who disagrees with me is just voicing some opinion.

• Strawberry ice cream is known to be kind of gross and of smelly, and it has the texture of a withered grapefruit. Some people who eat strawberry ice cream are obese, or said to be flatulent, or kick little puppies.
    • And on the other hand, we have chocolate ice cream, which, in the words of one highly intelligent character, is Totally Yummy. Also, it contains more calories per square inch than any other known kind of ice cream, and many highly intelligent and attractive people eat chocolate ice cream, and you should be able to buy it at your local supermarket. If not, sue your supermarket.

Mind you, these are scientific facts, as determined by a recent Nobel Prize winner that I can't remember the name of just now. Many highly erudite dissertations have been written on the subject; just google them up. They are certainly not opinions. True, I do have an opinion about which ice cream to eat, but I wouldn't be so crass as to display that in an objective thread such as this one, which is objective.

So now that I've all chocolate educated you on the chocolate advantages and disadvantages of chocolate various kinds of ice cream, I chocolate encourage everybody to make his own informed chocolate choice, and I welcome further chocolate discussion in this thread.

No flaming please! It melts the delicious ice cream!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: We All Scream

I have to admit that skewing the discussion in favour of chocolate ice cream by banning discussion of ALL other nice flavours (Baileys' and cream; vanilla or even double chocolate for example) is a little bit of a fallacy. I mean, vanilla rocks (as categorically proven by a recent Field's medallist whose name I am unable to recall)

One other problem - roleplaying games forum??!? Ice cream??!?? Can you even get strawberry ice cream of inflict serious wounds and vanilla ice cream of mass heal now?

It is an awesome topic otherwise.

DISCLAIMER: Ice cream purchased from supermarkets is a poor basis for comparison. Please try some real ice cream
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2009-03-02 at 12:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    One other problem - roleplaying games forum??!? Ice cream??!?? What, the clerics now make Strawberry Icecream of inflict serious wounds and Vanilla icecream of mass heal?

It is an awesome topic otherwise.
    Those are sub-optimal choices. Clerics should always choose pistachio. That's right, I'm not going to kowtow to the OP's arbitrary restrictions just because they can't handle the real flavours.

Total win, Kurald Galain.
    Last edited by Myshlaevsky; 2009-03-02 at 12:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Chocolate is optimized itself. Frankly, the World Class Chocolate prestige class just wrecks what little balance there was left.

And don't get me started on Gelato...
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sharikov View Post
    Those are sub-optimal choices. Clerics should always choose pistachio. That's right, I'm not going to kowtow to the OP's arbitrary restrictions just because they can't handle the real flavours.

Total win, Kurald Galain.
    OK, a few points:

Strawberry is so disgusting, vile, morally reprehensible, evil and twisted that it grants a huge bonus to any damaging spells with which it is enchanted. In fact, the strawberry ice cream is more likely to be a strawberry ice cream of Destruction, Mass!

And somehow I don't see the pistachio ice cream of mass heal. It might be worth a Mass Cure Serious wounds though, but I've always had a soft spot for vanilla. OK, for vanilla based ice creams like chocolate chip, honeycomb, toffee and pistachip (IIRC). OK, so yes, pistachio does work.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post

• Strawberry ice cream is known to be kind of gross and of smelly, and it has the texture of a withered grapefruit. Some people who eat strawberry ice cream are obese, or said to be flatulent, or kick little puppies.
    • And on the other hand, we have chocolate ice cream, which, in the words of one highly intelligent character, is Totally Yummy. Also, it contains more calories per square inch than any other known kind of ice cream, and many highly intelligent and attractive people eat chocolate ice cream, and you should be able to buy it at your local supermarket. If not, sue your supermarket.
    Come on, only the vilest of people don't kick puppies.

And have you seen those Chocolate lovers: they are cazy. Look at homer Simpson!
    He ate a man because he was made of choclate. Can't trust them.

I even have the support of a local Physic scientists that I can't name riht now who shows very clearly that too much chocolate will cause a black hole.
    So obviously, Chocolate can't be good.

Strawberry for life, yo!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is this thread even in Roleplaying Games? Although ice cream does make a good snack for RPing, it is completely irrelevant to the topics in this section of the forums.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It's best not to fight the madness...

Although, yeah, it is a slightly odd place for the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II
    Come on, only the vilest of people don't kick puppies.

And have you seen those Chocolate lovers: they are cazy. Look at homer Simpson!
    He ate a man because he was made of choclate. Can't trust them.

I even have the support of a local Physic scientists that I can't name riht now who shows very clearly that too much chocolate will cause a black hole.
    So obviously, Chocolate can't be good.

Strawberry for life, yo!
    And we also have a nobel prizewinner and a fields medallist both declare that strawberry is completely and utterly wrong. Especially the one with bits in it. Just look at my account of what happened when I tried to make strawberry ice cream of inflict minor wounds - trust me, there is a reason that Destruction, mass is not a spell!

Honeycomb ftw!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Chocolate...strawberry...I'm the guy with the irish cream ice cream.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Wait a minute. You can put chocolate syrup on strawberry ice cream, and then it's just as good as chocolate, if not better. After all, now it has chocolate and strawberry.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife
    Wait a minute. You can put chocolate syrup on strawberry ice cream, and then it's just as good as chocolate, if not better. After all, now it has chocolate and strawberry.
    You've fallen into a common trap. Chocolate syrup cheapens the already weak strawberry and it smells of cardboard.

If you want your ice cream to even have a chance of thriving in a real dessert following a real supper, the only choice is chocolate. And that only works if you maximize your chocularity with fudge and perhaps a dabble of caramel.

No, Strawberry is worth little more than a dollop in some of your more advanced Neopolitans.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Fife View Post
    The sheer cosmic horror implied by the thought of chocolate syrup on strawberry ice cream leaves people with lower SAN scores than me a gibbering wreck. I am now eternally traumatised. Have a cookie.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like to multiscoop dark chocolate and mint. People tell me this is sub-optimal, but I have fun with it. Of course that combination can get really powerful if you allow Marble Slab as a source.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Mint and Chocolate seems suboptimal, but if you add in a swirl of caramel it synergizes really well. Then toss in some chunks of fudge, add chocolate sprinkles, and if your really fancy, throw in some berries. No strawberries though, thats disgusting. Raspberries synergize well with the fudge and caramel. Of course, this is all moot if you buy your ice cream from the supermarket.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm gonna have to echo Assassin89 here- you're all talking about frozen dairy products, when the Flavors As Written don't even have rules for lactose. (And lactose-free builds take at least three Splatscoops or they're useless against soy.)

You're free to use homemake ice cream, I guess, but then we're not speaking the same flavor.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

17. - Top - End - #17

(parody thread ya'll)

Anyway, there are various homebrew recipes that make strawberry icecream just as good as chocalte icecream. Also, not everyone likes chocalte. Some people just like eat Strawberry.

Anyway, we all know that chocalte-chip icecream is far superior anyway, so t his argument is irrevelevent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil
    Anyway, there are various homebrew recipes that make strawberry icecream just as good as chocalte icecream. Also, not everyone likes chocalte. Some people just like eat Strawberry.
    Bah. There's no room for homebrew here, just the overwhelming goodness of dedicated cho****ude.

On an unrelated note, are Fruit Brute and Count Chocula still in production? I swear I haven't seen those in ages. I miss them in an odd sort of way.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

So what are the thoughts about frozen coffees here?

Sure early on they were a bit odd, both weak and couldn't be defended by anyone using normal scoops, but they have since found their niche. A lot of people just auto-ban frozen coffees out of fear.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Citrus all the way, any sort, but it has to be citrus... I'll except vanilla though. At the end of the day chocolate is overly hyped because everything insists on taking a level dip into it, but after the first few levels its really not worth it. Strawberry is okay but its pretty underpar overall, it can be made okay with a few overpowered feats, but anything reliant on that method clearly isn't worth it on its own. Citrus has a better mechanic and integrates well with other flavour a lot of the time, while vanilla is a good base for a lot of prestige classes so I'll accept it as a valid option.

What?

21. - Top - End - #21

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Temp. View Post
    Bah. There's no room for homebrew here, just the overwhelming goodness of dedicated cho****ude.
    I completely agree, just because your mommy can make the bestest strawberry icecream in the world, doesn't mean my mommy can, we can only objectively discuss icecream which is sold in the stores!!!!111!
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have to agree with those who are outside the strawberry/chocolate box. I always like to go with something more unusual. Rocky Road is a good one. It has all the advantages of chocolate, but isn't quite so one-dimensional.

Personally, Phish food is my top choice, but not everyone allows third-party sources. I also love Thin Mint, but that's really an obscure one.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temp. View Post

On an unrelated note, are Fruit Brute and Count Chocula still in production? I swear I haven't seen those in ages. I miss them in an odd sort of way.
    Chocula, I think so. Saw some at Grocery Outlet recently, at any rate. Fruit Brute, however, is less fortunate.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Evil the Cat View Post

Personally, Phish food is my top choice, but not everyone allows third-party sources. I also love Thin Mint, but that's really an obscure one.
    Phish can be way broken if properly optimized. Plus, if we start using thrid party sources, this is no longer a competition. Chocolate wins handsdown.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

What's the point in arguing over something so common as ice cream?

We culturally elite folk would take any fine sobet over that flavoured muck from the teat of a cow.

Just face it. Until you've savoured at least four sorbets served in the frozen skin/shell of the fruit it represents there is no way you can hold an appreciable opinion.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think chocolate is a pretty cool guy. eh cures cancer and doesn't afraid of anything.
    Deo Soli Sit Semper Gloria

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Its offical. Overwilliam is Duke Devlin.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

When I first started truly exploring the advantages and disadvantages of different ice creams I thought that neapolitan was superior, but I was very wrong. I thought that since chocolate was amazing, vanilla was good and strawberry was mediocre the combination of the three would be amazing, it turns out that neapolitan was not well thought out in the design phases and turns out weak, not fulfilling any of the flavors that it was intended to emulate.

I must conclude that chocolate is the superior flavor in every way.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I prefer waffles and meat and other hot foods to ice cream.

Though there are certain problems with the bacon being overpowered compared to chicken, it is spelled out in the Meat & Munching manual that it can be so and that chefs should take care to watch orders that include too much bacon and not enough chicken.

I mean, when was the last time Ice Cream & Insanity presented something as "potentially overpowering"? Even chocolate?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

We all scream for mainstream!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

God forbid you ask for anything else besides chocolate ice cream or you will be reminded constantly that this is not the way to go. Heck, I thought that was half the fun of making a sundae with vanilla ice cream was to try to make it better than chocolate ice cream.