New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Echo Bazaar

1. - Top - End - #721
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Echo Bazaar

Question re: Goods

I have seen FL advice to hold on to most everything, (I would have anyway) and have taken advantage of crafting my low end items I've been saving like jade and whispers into items necessary to get new lodgings, so YAY!

However, does this advice go for goods - 2000+ rostygold and moonpearls, 1000+ nevercold brass, 500+ rats on a string, and a few hundred relics of the fourth city and surface currency - if I sold some goods I could buy me something nice with echos. Do I hold on to these or not?

I'm a miser when I roleplay (always) even if the chance is low I'll need something I don't like to sell it. The only thing I've been selling in the bazaar are the duplicate clothing items like multiple rough gowns or workman's clothes.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Troll in the Playground

You will eventually need Rats for a few things, so keep all of those that you find.

Rostygold and Moonpearls have a couple of things they get used for, but you can probably get away with a small stockpile of 1000-2000 of each.

Everything else is pretty much vendor trash, fortunately. If you ever need more of the other common goods items it shouldn't be too hard to reacquire the small amounts needed.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

3. - Top - End - #723
    Bugbear in the Playground

You won't need a huge quantity of rats until your dangerous is in the 90's, where you use them to get into the Labyrinth of Tigers. I second the advice of a minimum of 1000.

Out of curiosity, what gear are you considering?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Rogers
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Just started playing again today, after a 100-day hiatus that resulted from being trapped in a state of confusion again.

Did they remove daily action limits?

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Just started playing again today, after a 100-day hiatus that resulted from being trapped in a state of confusion again.

Did they remove daily action limits?
    Yep. They increased the timer for when you get turns now though, from 7 minutes to 10, but you can theoretically end up playing 200 turns a day if played it right ^^

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Yep. They increased the timer for when you get turns now though, from 7 minutes to 10, but you can theoretically end up playing 200 turns a day if played it right ^^
    I like it. This way I don't feel like I'm wasting anything farming skill levels or resources. Did they implement the combine-able resource tiers at the same time?

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

I like it. This way I don't feel like I'm wasting anything farming skill levels or resources. Did they implement the combine-able resource tiers at the same time?
    Umm, no, actually I don't think so. Well, they've been adding them since that, but they had started doing it a little while before. I'm just patiently waiting until they start adding the ability to convert the current top tier of items. They've already done one of them via opportunity cards(5 Cellars of Wine for a bottle of Fourth City Airag), so I imagine it might come in the next update or two.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-04-19 at 10:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    You won't need a huge quantity of rats until your dangerous is in the 90's, where you use them to get into the Labyrinth of Tigers. I second the advice of a minimum of 1000.

Out of curiosity, what gear are you considering?
    Luminous Neathglass Goggles maybe, I don't have any hats (except ridiculous one) the Avid Glove looks pretty good too. I'm working on Dangerous and Watchful at the moment. I have all the +1 1st level clothes, but little else at the moment.

I just don't know. I'm a miser, so it makes me feel good just knowing I CAN buy one of those if I want to.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

Strange. I can't echo for the action refill today. I get thrown to a blank page every time I try,
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

10. - Top - End - #730
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Strange. I can't echo for the action refill today. I get thrown to a blank page every time I try,
    Yep, me too. A couple people have noted it on the Failbetter forums as well.

11. - Top - End - #731

I believe its fixed now.

Spoiler
    Show
    "When I say it's you I like, I'm talking about that part of you that knows that life is far more than anything you can ever see or hear or touch. That deep part of you that allows you to stand for those things without which humankind cannot survive. Love that conquers hate, peace that rises triumphant over war, and justice that proves more powerful than greed."

12. - Top - End - #732
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Not working for me :(

dang it I want my extra actions!
    Last edited by Ryenke; 2012-04-21 at 10:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, I still can't echo either.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ettin in the Playground

If you go through twitter, log out and sign back in through your twitter account. That worked for me. I read that on the failbetter forums ^^

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, it worked! Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp, it seems that the nightmares have driven me mad again.

At least this mirror-place seems more interesting that that damned hotel.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ettin in the Playground

Welp, it seems that the nightmares have driven me mad again.

At least this mirror-place seems more interesting that that damned hotel.
    Ya know, I have never actually become insane from my nightmares. If I didn't have such high Dream qualities, I'd probably try to let it happen, just to see what it's like, but ehh, I'm about this | | close to becoming stormy-eyed, I'm not about to lose any of my dream standing just to check it out.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Ya know, I have never actually become insane from my nightmares. If I didn't have such high Dream qualities, I'd probably try to let it happen, just to see what it's like, but ehh, I'm about this | | close to becoming stormy-eyed, I'm not about to lose any of my dream standing just to check it out.
    I was sitting on the brink too long, didn't know a certain action caused nightmares.

By the way, when did they rename the game to Fallen London?

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ettin in the Playground

I was sitting on the brink too long, didn't know a certain action caused nightmares.

By the way, when did they rename the game to Fallen London?
    Was it "Chasing the Name of Mr. eaten" that put you over the edge? If so, I complained about that earlier in the thread, because it was an instant action and wasn't a red-bordered card.

As to the name change, that actually happened very recently, I'd say no more then 2 weeks ago? maybe 3 at the most I think(though I do sometimes have a bad sense of time passing).

20. - Top - End - #740
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

SOMEONE CAME! Finally.

My Someone is coming quality was just shy of 13, and I finally got (for the first time since I started playing) the Someone is Coming Op. Card.

I was beginning to think "someone is coming" was a joke they played on newbies... but I guess I was just really unlucky it took so long to get the card.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Halfling in the Playground

We're working on the echoing bug - it's only affecting some people, so it's a hard one to track down. Sorry about the inconvenience in the meantime.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nil View Post
    Is it possible to bribe you with cookies to give us a hint? Islands we've heard of or brand new? More Sea of Voices? You tease!
    Oh, all right. But don't tell anyone.

I think they're most likely to be used for coastlines: the Carnelian Coast is planned, but a way off yet. The next bit of content, however, is very likely to include
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Iron Republic.
    Don't get too attached to your sanity.
    Last edited by Chris Gardiner; 2012-04-26 at 03:53 AM.

23. - Top - End - #743

Your cookies will arrive by urchin. If they don't eat them all.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #744
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Low-mid level game blahs. (Is it just me, I assume it will get better soon?)

Opportunity Cards I can't use

So, I'm still fairly low-mid level (50's and low 60's) and I'm finding that I discard almost every opportunity card. I play maybe 1 in 10 or so.

Why? Mostly because if I *could* play the card (i.e. it is one of the few cards that don't lock me out because I don't have 10,000 proscribed materials (seriously WHY does this card unlock at proscribed materials 100, to frustrate me? I've seen that card 10 times in a week, but I'm weeks if not months of gameplay away from being able to play that card) or connected Great Game 10 when I have 3 or some other requirement I don't meet) say, 2 out of 6 cards I get I *could* play - then it is almost always an "almost impossible challenge"

To make it more fun, I have taken to putting on my ridiculous hat before I turn over every card. It's a pain, but that way I get a few modest or chancy options.

Grinding without Goals

Ok, I'm grinding to advance my main stat enough to continue on with my ambition, but the others? Once I reached level 50 or so I had accessed virtually every available storylet, used my second chances to complete even the almost impossible challenges and now its just grinding to get to 60 so I really can do something in the new locations.

That's a lot of grinding with no feel of accomplishment. I have nothing to save for (like grinding glim or anything) I'm just picking what looks like a lucrative storylet (or in the case of Watchful, a storylet that won't make me insane if I fail) and doing it over and over - picking up money or whispered secrets or something that I'm sure SOMEDAY will be useful, but are just now numbers.

Again, I do love the game, and I assume from the early play and what I've read that it will bet better. But it seems like a real low spot I'm having to work through to get to some new material. I was so excited to finally see the Someone is Coming card because it was something NEW, and available for me to do.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryenke View Post
    Low-mid level game blahs. (Is it just me, I assume it will get better soon?)

Again, I do love the game, and I assume from the early play and what I've read that it will bet better. But it seems like a real low spot I'm having to work through to get to some new material. I was so excited to finally see the Someone is Coming card because it was something NEW, and available for me to do.
    Yeah, the low-mid section of the game, the 50's for any quality, is pretty irritating, and can be a long, boring rough patch, unless you blow a TON of echoes to get gear that lets you skip ahead into the next section considerably early. It does get considerably better once you can advance into the second tier of areas though, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel

26. - Top - End - #746
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Yeah, all of a sudden it changed.

I got a whole bunch of messages in the last few days - "What have you seen in the shadows?" which bring me to cards which rewarded me with between 2 and 3 LEVEL increases in Shadowy. I know I got at least one of these messages each of the last 3 days. (The last one this morning put me up from somewhere in Shadowy 64 to high into shadowy 67!)

My shadowy is now 68 with a + 2 modifier, but just a few days ago it was in the low to mid 50's. (and I was working on my persuasive stat all this time. LOL) All of a sudden all these things I was waiting on because they were almost impossible challenges became quickly doable.

And, now of course the Flit is available. I still have to grind the other stats up but now I can do that for a while and then go do new stuff. YAY!

EDIT: CRAZY!

I just now got another one, and went up from Shadowy very low 68 to Shadowy high 70. So just today I went from Shadowy 64 to Shadowy 70! What prompts these messages? I think I've seen one for a Dangerous jump, but they have all been shadowy otherwise that I remember.

EDIT2: A bug? (fortunate one, if that)

Still the same day. I just got another message and so now my Shadowy is 73 (over 1/2 way to 74) now. Remember, I started the day at Shadowy 64! I'm beginning to wonder if something is bugged in my favour right now.
    Last edited by Ryenke; 2012-04-27 at 05:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryenke View Post
    Yeah, all of a sudden it changed.

I got a whole bunch of messages in the last few days - "What have you seen in the shadows?" which bring me to cards which rewarded me with between 2 and 3 LEVEL increases in Shadowy. I know I got at least one of these messages each of the last 3 days. (The last one this morning put me up from somewhere in Shadowy 64 to high into shadowy 67!)

My shadowy is now 68 with a + 2 modifier, but just a few days ago it was in the low to mid 50's. (and I was working on my persuasive stat all this time. LOL) All of a sudden all these things I was waiting on because they were almost impossible challenges became quickly doable.

And, now of course the Flit is available. I still have to grind the other stats up but now I can do that for a while and then go do new stuff. YAY!
    Oh yeah, those things are awesome. Wish they'd been around before when I was a newbie!

28. - Top - End - #748
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Yeah, got to be a bug. I just reported it in case. Since last checking in here I have gotten the message twice more. My shadowy stat is now 79. 12 hours ago that stat was 64.

Not that I'm complaining, but I feel like I'm cheating so I soothed my conscience by reporting it. If it IS legit, then I'm awfully lucky right now....

:)

Back to turning over opportunity cards at an alarming rate, hoping to see the Soldier fellow at Watchmaker hill - what is he - 'exceedingly rare' or something? I've been turning over cards here for 5 or more days without a sign of him. I regret that the first time I saw him I chose the wrong option to make him a companion.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Orc in the Playground

Have you ever seen those storylets which give you qualities which seems sorta useless? It's like, "That Which Stalks the Night" or some other ones. I think you get one from showing the Tomb-Colonist around down near the 25s of Persuasive or Shadowy (One of them, don't know which) or Beguiling an Official or something. It has a golden clock icon I believe.

That's what causes it, as far as I know. You have that quality, and randomly you'll get a message that leads you to a huge boost.

Why you've gotten so many boosts in one day, I don't know. Either really good luck or a bug. Have you been doing storylets over and over that give you some such mysterious quality?
    Last edited by Todasmile; 2012-04-27 at 07:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hmm, I did do a lot of "picking pockets at a ring fight" in Spite when grinding my Shadowy, because it was lucrative but the reward for that says:

That Which Lives in Shadow hasn't changed, because it's higher than 0

(I just asked my husband on a lower level to check, because that storylet is no longer available to me.)

So I don't think that could have done it.

Ok, just checked. Believe it or not, I just got ANOTHER message - that makes what, 6 today, so, I checked my Story listing. I had

That Which Lives in Shadow is 2

I clicked on the message (I'm at Shadowy 82 NOW) and my That Which lives in Shadow is now gone entirely from the Story section. I'll keep an eye on it and try to determine if this is a fluke or if that quality comes back.

Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Ryenke; 2012-04-27 at 08:46 PM.