New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Well, I've managed to do something interesting

Namely, I've managed to get Knowledge Devotion banned. The archivist having it, rolling for it, but not actually using any of his ray attack spells this session may have contributed as well.

The sad thing is, most of what I fought were aberrations and dungeoneering was my weakest knowledge skill.

Didn't even really use the good rolls I got against the clockwork horrors to very great effect, since I would've either easily hit 'em or whiffed completely anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Well, I've managed to do something interesting

Nobody likes a knowitall.
    My sympathies.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, what?!?

Exactly what did your DM say was the reason for banning a feat that gives a modest +5(at max) typed bonus, but requires ~7*(level+3) skill points to use effectively?
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Wait, what?!?

Exactly what did your DM say was the reason for banning a feat that gives a modest +5(at max) typed bonus, but requires ~7*(level+3) skill points to use effectively?
    The damage. Which is usually less than what I'm getting from strength, let alone strength*1.5.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5

The... damage? Really? Is Craven allowed?

Oh, how about Natural Spell? Being a Core option, we know it's balanced, right?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Genn Greymane View Post
    Oh, how about Natural Spell? Being a Core option, we know it's balanced, right?
    If no one plays a druid, it certainly is.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    If no one plays a druid, it certainly is.
    ... Touchè.

texttext

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

When your GM allows a respec every two to three levels but explicitly bans you (but not anybody else) from respeccing and from taking anything above a T3 class, then you'll know sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    When your GM allows a respec every two to three levels but explicitly bans you (but not anybody else) from respeccing and from taking anything above a T3 class, then you'll know sorrow.
    No, then I'd no longer know a DM.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Maybe you should just play a DMM cleric with Persist spell and break the game over your knee while laughing in his face.

Or failing that, a Druid with Natural Spell if he wants to play the 'Core Only' card? :P

- J.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Alleran View Post
    That... sounds a little less like a GM and more like your personal nemesis was put in charge of your hobby. At that point it's time to vote with your feet.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    The damage. Which is usually less than what I'm getting from strength, let alone strength*1.5.
    I....but....bwuh?

I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

13. - Top - End - #13

SwashbucklerGuy

Uh, it sounds like the DM didn't ban it because of its power, he was just annoyed that the player was constantly rolling free knowledge checks against every enemy. That can get irritating when a DM is trying to introduce his monsters and you keep butting in to ask what type they are and roll dice.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Treblain View Post
    Uh, it sounds like the DM didn't ban it because of its power, he was just annoyed that the player was constantly rolling free knowledge checks against every enemy. That can get irritating when a DM is trying to introduce his monsters and you keep butting in to ask what type they are and roll dice.
    Even if it was because Coid was being disruptive, all the DM would have to do is say, "HEY! Lemme get through this description, then you can do your thing? Capisce?" Banning the feat would be unreasonable.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Namely, I've managed to get Knowledge Devotion banned. The archivist having it, rolling for it, but not actually using any of his ray attack spells this session may have contributed as well.

The sad thing is, most of what I fought were aberrations and dungeoneering was my weakest knowledge skill.

Didn't even really use the good rolls I got against the clockwork horrors to very great effect, since I would've either easily hit 'em or whiffed completely anyway.
    Bah? Out of curiosity, how optimised is your group?!
    "No Anti-Magic field ever stopped a pouncing Barbarians Great Club"

Spoilered Stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Favourite Threads!

Random
    Spoiler
    Show

I appear to be a pixie. I knew I overflowed with natural charisma

Nooo! I have fallen to being a mere halfling! Guess I'll....umm.....throw things....and bemoan my favored class.....

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Except you can do this without Knowledge Devotion. Just the Knowledge skills alone allow you to make an immediate Knowledge check to ID monsters, with each 5 pts above the DC earning you one piece of "special" knowledge about the foe such as DR, ERs, Special Qualities, or such. Knowledge Devotion simply rewards you with +hit and +damage for doing what you'd already be doing with those ranks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think that's addressing the issue of a powerful (Tier 1) character indirectly rather than overtly. Sort of like throwing up 30 KPH speed limit signs in town when someone shows up with a Ferrari (ignoring the autobahn nearby). I've used Knowledge Devotion quite frequently, but mostly for Rogues. (I keep up with Tier 1-2 characters just fine.) I suspect the context is what matters here.

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Genn Greymane View Post
    The... damage? Really? Is Craven allowed?
    You know, I don't think anyone's taken a Rogue-type past level 2 in quite a while... So I can't really remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    I....but....bwuh?

<_< >_> ...I love that image...

Not really, DM doesn't really care when wizards and psions do it to get MM knowledge of the creature and just uses their names directly anyway, more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonRoach View Post
    Bah? Out of curiosity, how optimised is your group?!
    Good question. We've had everything from druids who refused to wildshape and instead focused on either blasting or battlefield control as the mood took them to fighter 5/rogue 5 builds and straight-classed Gnome Paladin 12s with Dread Necromancers who managed to get the class banned from having more than 4 undead minions to just being banned along with leadership depending upon the game. And a couple of psions who pointed at enemies and made them fall down from massive fire damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I think that's addressing the issue of a powerful (Tier 1) character indirectly rather than overtly. Sort of like throwing up 30 KPH speed limit signs in town when someone shows up with a Ferrari (ignoring the autobahn nearby). I've used Knowledge Devotion quite frequently, but mostly for Rogues. (I keep up with Tier 1-2 characters just fine.) I suspect the context is what matters here.
    9th level gish with a rather weak +12/+7 without using knowledge devotion. I mostly use my magic to give myself a miss chance/AC, to fuel wrathstrike power attacking against big nasties, and to fuel my minor shapeshift reserve feat to give myself a buffer of temporary HP.

And I still find myself lacking spells I could've used (like resist energy against 3 clockwork horrors spamming lightning bolts on me... no idea how I'd managed to leave that one off my list) and lack much in the way beyond minor gear due to the spells I had to purchase.

Considering the archivist hadn't actually used the bonuses granted by knowledge devotion in the game yet, I don't think it was done to limit the power of the archivist.

Wheras... hitting things hard, the only things that can do that in the party are me, the scout's pet tiger, and if the wizard or archivist are there that day and want to summon something big and nasty. Got a halfling scout, a human pyromaniac kineticist psion, a gnome wizard, a middle-aged or old human archivist, and a healer now that the over-leveled(yay deck of many things) monk moved away.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2011-09-06 at 04:31 PM.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

From the sounds of it, your group isn't optimized at all and your DM has a serious knee-jerk reaction.

I suggest building a Dragonfire Bard. You will make him cringe. Or run your own campaign, and try to teach them practical optimization the hard way.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

And a couple of psions who pointed at enemies and made them fall down from massive fire damage.
    Silly psions, when you can kill someone without lifting a finger, why would you lift it?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Because just saying "Bang" has less dramatic effect without the finger point?
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2011-09-06 at 04:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, it does if you say it right...

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post
    I suggest building a Dragonfire Bard.
    Funny you should mention bards... I managed to get him to rage at wild cohort despite not actually being able to take the heavy horse I got from it with me anywhere because I was an idiot and forgot that age of worms is predominantly enclosed spaces starting off.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Silly psions, when you can kill someone without lifting a finger, why would you lift it?
    I think because the player enjoys theatrics, mostly. Quite animated.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post
    Adding "#t=XXmYYs" to the end of the url is your friend in this case. I'm not even sure where in the 6 minutes and 18 seconds I should be here.... x.x
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Adding "#t=XXmYYs" to the end of the url is your friend in this case. I'm not even sure where in the 6 minutes and 18 seconds I should be here.... x.x
    Basically any time you hear the music change.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Griffon

Then your DM must also object to a player character dealing 10d6 damage to everyone in a 40ft diameter circle from over 400ft away.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    Then your DM must also object to a player character dealing 10d6 damage to everyone in a 40ft diameter circle from over 400ft away.
    What, are you kidding me? Everyone knows monks are overpowered!
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quietus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    What, are you kidding me? Everyone knows monks are overpowered!
    You just got me in trouble for interrupting a lecture.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You don't even have to say "bang" either? Just have the look of mild constipation while staring at your target.

If they don't die they'll at least get really creeped out.
    "If I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint threw a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..." - Dennis, aged 37 - Executive Officer of the Week, Anarcho-syndicalist commune, somewhere in Britain.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Sigh...kids these days don't even appreciate the classics...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris
    30.Chuck Norris once shot down a German fighter plane with his finger, by yelling, "Bang!"

30. - Top - End - #30

Yelling with your finger, a feat worthy of Chuck Norris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting