Zealot of Salamander

Quellux, Zealot of Salamander

HD: d10

Requirements
    Alignment: Any evil
    Race: Sphoraxun
    Deity: Salamander
    BAB: +5
    Skills: Knowledge (religion) 9 ranks, Intimidate 6 ranks, Martial Lore 4 ranks
    Feats: True Believer (Salamander), Weapon Focus (bite, claw or shortsword)
    Maneuvers: Ability to use a martial maneuver of the Devoted Spirit or Desert Wind disciplines
    Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 2nd level divine spells of either the Destruction, Evil, Fire or War domains.

Class Skills: Balance, Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (religion), Martial Lore, Ride, Spellcraft and Tumble.
    Skill-points per level: 2+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
    1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Claw of Salamander|--
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Burning Smite|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
    3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|--|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
    4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Stance of burning hate|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
    5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Fire resistance 15|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
    6th|+6|+5|+2|+2|Unholy blessing|--
    7th|+7|+5|+2|+2|Fire resistance 20|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
    8th|+8|+6|+2|+2|--|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
    9th|+9|+6|+3|+3|Fire immunity|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
    10th|+10|+7|+3|+3|Stance of flame devotion|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
    [/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
    1st|1|1|0
    2nd|0|0|0
    3rd|1|0|0
    4th|0|1|0
    5th|1|0|1
    6th|0|0|0
    7th|1|1|0
    8th|0|0|0
    9th|1|0|0
    10th|0|1|0
    [/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies: Zealots of Salamander don't get any additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers:
    At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th levels, a Zealot of Salamander gains new maneuvers known from the Devoted Spirit, Desert Wind or Tiger Claw disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full Zealot of Salamander levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
    At 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th levels, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 5th level, you learn a new martial stance from the Devoted Spirit, Desert Wind or Tiger Claw disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Spellcasting: At each level except 1st and 6th, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level(and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a Zealot of Salamander, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known(if applicable).

Claw of Salamander(Su): You become a walking, breathing vent of Salamanders burning hate. Your body boils from within and vents heat of it's own, all attacks made with your natural weapons deal an additional 1d8 fire damage. These flames do not harm you due to your natural fire resistance and you can suppress and activate this ability as a free action.

Burning Smite(Su): At 2nd level, your venting of Salamanders fiery hate takes a step up. Whenever initiating a martial strike, you may expend a rebuke undead attempt to have your strike deal an additional amount of fire 1d6 fire damage per 2 Zealot of Salamander levels(max 5d6 at 10th level). This damage stacks with that granted from Claw of Salamander(see below).

Fire Resistance(Ex): At 3rd level your natural ability to resist fire increases and you are capable of resisting 15 fire damage instead of 10. At 6th level this fire resistance increases to 20 and at 9th level it turns into full-fledged fire immunity.

Stance of Burning Hate(Su): At 4th level, you takes yet another step in become a burning vent of Salamanders hatred for all things and gain the stance of burning hate. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. While in this stance, you are cloaked in a massive torrent of fire and burning smoke which reaches out to 5 feet from you in all direction. Anyone caught in this field takes 1d6 points of fire damage equal to half your divine caster level. They may attempt a reflex save(DC 10+Zealot of Salamander level+Cha modifier) for half damage.

Unholy Blessing(Su): At 6th level you are granted the blessing of your twisted, reptilian god. You add your Charisma modifier as a bonus to all saves whenever in a Desert Wind or Devoted Spirit stance.

Stance of Flame Devotion(Su):
    At 10th level you gain full use of Salamanders profane fire. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. When in this stance you are coated in a warming field of heated air which negates the effects of your cold vulnerability by dampening any cold near you. Additionally, you can spend a rebuke undead attempt as a standard action to regain all readied maneuvers. Thirdly, you gain a special gaze attack that sets your foes alight. If they meet your gaze, they burst into flame, dealing 3d6 points of fire damage per round unless they put it out by immersing themselves into nonflammable liquid, going into an oxygenless area or attempting a reflex save(DC 20+Cha modifier) as a full-round action.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-11-15 at 06:37 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A pillar of burning, reptilian hate[PrC]

Thoughts?

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Seems pretty good from what I can tell Krimm.
    On the issue of killer or sadistic DMs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That sort of person is not worthy of being a Game Master of any sort. The GM is there to entertain and bring enjoyment to the player group, thus being entertained and enjoying himself likewise. Soneone that finds pleasure in making others unhappy is a sad case indeed. That kind of GM should be left alone to lurk in online MMP games to ambush newbies' characters as they enter the setting :]

Cheers,
    Gary

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Mayhaps the stance of burning hatred is a little bit broken?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Voodzik View Post
    Mayhaps the stance of burning hatred is a little bit broken?
    Perhaps, I'll lower the damage.
    Edit: I also dropped the concealment and reduced the area of the field to 5 feet.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2007-12-24 at 09:27 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Do you suppose it would be balanced to use for other races? I mean, if it's exclusive to that single race, and the race automatically has a +1 LA, then I'm just wondering if you took that into account when judging the power of the class. For instance, the minimum level entry is 7 ECL taking into account the LA, and spellcasters with LA are inherently nerfed.

Also, if the Zealot was polymorphed into a creature with no Fire Resistance, would you take damage every round from having Claw of Salamander active?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Do you suppose it would be balanced to use for other races? I mean, if it's exclusive to that single race, and the race automatically has a +1 LA, then I'm just wondering if you took that into account when judging the power of the class. For instance, the minimum level entry is 7 ECL taking into account the LA, and spellcasters with LA are inherently nerfed.

Also, if the Zealot was polymorphed into a creature with no Fire Resistance, would you take damage every round from having Claw of Salamander active?
    I never really took into account the level adjustment of the race, I just made a class as balanced as I could. +1 CR is +1 CR, but I suppose that could be wrong.

I suppose so, the flavor of it was that they're on fire and not being harmed simply because fire can't hurt them. It would make sense if it did because Salamander punishes a sphoraxun for not remaining a sphoraxun.

Spoiler
    Show