Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: D&D Snippets

1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: D&D Snippets

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Promises to do my head in more like it

She's a pre-rolled character, and intelligence was her dump stat (it's an 8 I believe), but charisma is a 10. I'm trying to play her as big and solid, and a hard hitter (she is a fighter after all), friendly and open, but not overly bright. Not stupid (I figure 8 is only just below average), but a bit of a slow thinker, not great with words or spelling, and prefers to let others do the thinking for her. She's not smart, but at the same time, she's smart enough to know that she's not.

Unfortunately, I have two university degrees, one of which is post-grad - so my natural intelligence would be somewhere like a 16 or 17. Trying to write someone not-that-smart is doing my head in (as arrogant as that sounds ).

It really does. Snorri makes me think that he snores really badly and that's where the name came from

Yikes! I don't think we've ever been given that much in one go, and we're Level 12!
    I never thought about snorri coming from snoring......
    huh..

I totally understand the problems with playing dumb characters while being immesnly intelligent
    I'm seriously considering triple majoring and taking a minor as well....

as far as the money
    I rolled on the level 1 random treasure table.
    I rolled like a 97
    which was 4d4x10 platinum peices
    and I rolled a 4
    so they got 40 platinum
    in addition to all the other gold in the adventure (these were very rich goblins apparently)

also, I was reading through the tables today and it turns out I SHOULD HAVE ROLLED AGAIN, because the table has a note saying "if you roll between 96 and 100, roll again on the next table

so they had the potential to get EVEN MORE money/stuff!!!

as it is, given that I run a more valuable platinum than normal, I'm not going to roll again this time around.

they have an exorbanint amount of money for a first level party (even if they do have to split it up with the DMPC/NPC rogue they hired along for the last adventure)

40 platinum + 100 something gold / 7 is still a fair piece of change....

I had a player tell me today that after they left on the way back to their dorm they kept thinking "I'm rich, I'm rich, I'm rich, I"m rich"

joyful ^_^

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by big teej View Post
    I totally understand the problems with playing dumb characters while being immesnly intelligent
    I'm seriously considering triple majoring and taking a minor as well....
    See, that's just nuts

I had a player tell me today that after they left on the way back to their dorm they kept thinking "I'm rich, I'm rich, I'm rich, I"m rich"

joyful ^_^
    Heehee, that's cute although I do something similar. I have plans for the things I want to get Silver, and I tend to hoard cash until I have enough. Right now I have slightly over 9,000gp and I'm saving up to get slippers of battledance. Unless the DM decides to just make them loot from our last fight - he worked out exactly what we have the other day and realised we're slightly behind according to the wealth-by-level guidelines.

More loots for us!

What shall I write next? I'll admit, I'm at work and I'm bored. I like to have not-work on hand if I need a break, and I'm on a real writing kick at the moment. I can't do Lirrin's 'reports' or the first-person account of the last fight Silver was in because I need my notes and I don't have them here. What else can I do? Anyone got any ideas? any requests?

Help!
    Last edited by Lady Moreta; 2010-09-22 at 10:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

See, that's just nuts

Heehee, that's cute although I do something similar. I have plans for the things I want to get Silver, and I tend to hoard cash until I have enough. Right now I have slightly over 9,000gp and I'm saving up to get slippers of battledance. Unless the DM decides to just make them loot from our last fight - he worked out exactly what we have the other day and realised we're slightly behind according to the wealth-by-level guidelines.

More loots for us!

What shall I write next? I'll admit, I'm at work and I'm bored. I like to have not-work on hand if I need a break, and I'm on a real writing kick at the moment. I can't do Lirrin's 'reports' or the first-person account of the last fight Silver was in because I need my notes and I don't have them here. What else can I do? Anyone got any ideas? any requests?

Help!

I figure.... if I make good enough grades, they'll pay to keep me here, and I don't mind graduating a year behind if i'm learning things that interest me. so the plan is to make straight A's and graduate with 3 degrees =D

take THAT entry level employment!!

as for the cuteness
    I refrain from the world, given that it was the one male student-player XD however it did make me very very very happy to have one of my players actually think about stuff that happend IN GAME, OUT OF GAME. =]
    novel experience for me.

also, as to what to write, do something you don't need notes/material for.

tell an origin story, or make up some past adventure before they joined the party, or perhaps why they became an adventurer, many of my character's have such sagas, even if they don't come up in game, or are built into where they were born. (barbarian grew up in the chaos wastes, that kinda sets you up for an adventuring lifestyle)

hope that helps

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

I figure.... if I make good enough grades, they'll pay to keep me here, and I don't mind graduating a year behind if i'm learning things that interest me. so the plan is to make straight A's and graduate with 3 degrees =D

take THAT entry level employment!!
    Wow. Well done you. I just had a conversation about uni with a staff member. I need to contact the IRD (govt dept managing my student loan) and ask/beg them to let me extend my repayment holiday another year, to give husband and I time to save up the money we'll need to actually pay the darn blasted thing.

That ended up in a discussion about how I spent 5.5 years at uni, with a student loan of approximately $50,000 (NZ dollars) - and I'm not using either of the degrees I have in my current job

as for the cuteness
    I refrain from the world, given that it was the one male student-player XD however it did make me very very very happy to have one of my players actually think about stuff that happend IN GAME, OUT OF GAME. =]
    novel experience for me.
    I'm a girl. I'm allowed it's the 'in game, out of game' aspect of it that makes it cute.

tell an origin story, or make up some past adventure before they joined the party, or perhaps why they became an adventurer, many of my character's have such sagas, even if they don't come up in game, or are built into where they were born. (barbarian grew up in the chaos wastes, that kinda sets you up for an adventuring lifestyle
    That's a good idea. I know why Silver ended up as an adventurer, but not the exact way it happened. I know practically nothing about Lirrin at all - apart from the fact that her parents are still happily married, she has a little brother Rikad, and they don't live in Dandanagan (all of which I made up while writing the letter home). Maybe I should figure out why Lirrin left the village for city life

Thank you, you've been most helpful

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Soon I shall bring you tales of:

Endeca Spellweaver, Chaos Magus.

"Reality? Isn't that an excuse invented by other mages?"

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Endeca Spellweaver, Chaos Magus.

"Reality? Isn't that an excuse invented by other mages?"
    This sounds epic. I approve.

I would like some critisim please. I am currently (sort of currently) turning our entire campaign into a story (not using first person, for the sake of my sanity). The first part of the story is - well, crap to be quite frank. I struggled with making it sound like a natural fantasy story and less like a D&D game. I thought I'd post a bit of it here, and see if anyone has any ways/ideas/suggestions for fixing it.

I did get better, and the later writing flows much better, but I desperately need help fixing the first chunk.

Two warnings: it's rather longer than I realised, and there is absolutely no fancy formatting. The original on my computer is formatted with bold/italics/different fonts, but when I copied it to another forum I was lazy and couldn't be bothered putting in the appropriate tags, so it looks a little boring and inflectionless.

Please Help Me Fix It
    or, Please Help Me Fix It

Spoiler
    Show
    “How long have we been travelling?”

“I didn't know the last time you asked me, and I don't know now. It could be weeks, it could be months” Tanc tried not to let the irritation he felt bleed through into his voice, but the young elf with his incessant questions was starting to get on his nerves.

The group had been trapped on the Plane of Shadows for months now, at least, that was the assumption. Time travelled oddly on the Plane of Shadows, and it was hard to tell exactly how much time had passed, and how much longer they had to go before they reached their destination. Tanc found that his nerves frayed easily in this strange, strange place – if he wasn't fielding questions from the ever-curious Rifus, then he was keeping the peace between Nera, the Catfolk sorceress, and Lester, the human paladin whose actions had gotten them into this predicament in the first place. The situation wasn't helped by the fact that he was being plagued by odd dreams – not the nightmares that the Dream Spectre had forced on those who slept, but peculiar nonetheless. He couldn't remember them exactly when he awoke, but he always felt strangely restless after one of them.

Tanc remembered the near-disaster that had come from the encounter with the Dream Spectre because of the delay of those who had experienced the dreams to say anything about them. He opened his mouth to speak, to avoid repeating that mistake, when Lester, the human paladin of the Lord of Light spoke first

“Look ahead, does the path dip into a tunnel there?” he pointed forwards of the vague, dark path they were following. Sure enough, it did appear to become a tunnel, a vast open mouth full of the darkness that already surrounded them; barely affected by the timid light of Lester's light spell, and Tanc's magical ring.

“You're right” he said, holding up one hand to call the others to him, “it does look like there's a tunnel up ahead.”

Elven Rifus, shrouded in his black cloak, blending into this plane more than Tanc was really comfortable with, came floating back into view having wandered on ahead, as was his wont. A minute later, Nera with dark-haired Silver came up and joined them. The two women, one Catfolk, one Elf, made an odd pair. Despite that, they walked with heads close together, talking and occasionally laughing. Tanc decided he didn't particularly want to know what they were talking about; from the look Nera was shooting at Lester, he suspected it was nothing polite.

“Why are we stopping?” Silver asked, squinting into the distance as if to pierce the darkness. In reality, only Rifus, with his darkvision was truly comfortable in this plane. “Have those flakey things stopped moving again?”

“No,” Tanc replied, “it looks like there's a tunnel up ahead.”

“So the snakes are heading into the tunnel?” Nera asked

“Don't know, but that's the direction they're heading in” Tanc answered. “The question is whether or not we want to go in or not.” There was a moment of silence, and then Rifus, youngest of the party, spoke up.

“You know you're just waiting for me to volunteer” he said. “So, off I go, into the wild unknown – without any idea of what awaits me, scarcely able to see, but striding off bravely!”

“You're the only one of us who can see” Silver muttered, at the same instant Nera snorted and said, rather louder

“Don't talk rubbish, you'll go invisible and start flying. No one will be able to see or hear you coming!”

Rifus grinned, suddenly looking altogether far too young,

“Yeah, you're right” he said, and with a faint shimmer, he disappeared.

“Wait!” Silver yelled, “let me cast Message first” she fished a short piece of copper wire out of the pouch at her belt and flicked it in the air, “Message” she cast her spell in her native language, but instantly they were all connected and able to communicate with each other via her.

“He is such an idiot” she muttered under her breath, “and he's jolly lucky he was still in range”

“I haven't actually gone anywhere yet” Rifus' voice came out of nowhere, right next to Silver, speaking directly into her ear. She jumped and aimed a backhanded slap through the air that did precisely nothing. Nothing to Rifus that is, Silver's jump and swipe took her into the path of Nera who was standing slightly behind her, rummaging through her own spell pouch. The Catfolk hissed at her party member, but it turned quickly into a sigh. Silver stepped quickly out of the way and raised an eyebrow at the other woman.

“Greater Invisibility doesn't last long enough” she explained, “I'll just follow him without it.”

“You know you don't have to follow him at all?” Tanc said.

“I know, but I want to” Nera replied, heading off in the direction of the tunnel, that they assumed Rifus had gone in already. Tanc, Silver, and Lester followed slower, and stopped at the entrance to the tunnel, waiting for Rifus or Nera to tell them it was safe to enter.

Rifus flew higher as he moved silently through the tunnel, passing back the information that it appeared to have been constructed, by persons unknown. He reached an open area, and noticed there was some sort of swarming movement below him.

“There's something her- ooohhh” He started reporting back to Silver, but trailed off as his attention was attracted by the movement below him.

“Something?” Silver queried impatiently, “what something?” Lester and Tanc both regarded her curiously, though her only explanation was a rather short and irritable “bloody elf.”

“They're moths” Rifus explained, startling Silver with the sound of his voice in her head, “with lovely patterns, almost hypnotic.”

“Well, don't look at them!” Silver barked at him.

“What is it?” Tanc asked, starting to feel anxious.

“Hypnotic moths apparently” Silver said, the tension in her voice evidence of the strain that came with trying to hold two conversations at once, one of them entirely inside her head. Tanc found himself, and not for the first time, thanking his god that he wasn't a spellcaster, and didn't have to suffer the discomfort that must come with turning oneself into a walking, talking, message centre.

“Hypnotic moths?” Tanc mused, “anything like the ones we encountered in the caves under that Dwarven fortress?”

“That's what it sounds like”

“Warn Nera?”

“Good point” Silver murmured, she closed her eyes briefly to pass the word on to Nera

“Nera, there are more of those hypno-moths up ahead, be careful”

The words were barely out of her mouth, when there was the familiar whoosh and rush of hot air they'd come to associate with Nera casting Fireball. Without waiting for any word, Tanc sprinted forward into the tunnel, followed by Lester and Silver. They caught up to Tanc standing next to Nera at the edge of the open space

“What did you do?” Tanc was asking as they reached them.

“They're on the ground, they were in my way” the sorceress replied, “I got rid of them” she sounded immensely pleased with herself. They looked out at the blackened moths, and saw two still moving around,

“Oh, looks like I missed a couple” Nera commented, and with a simple, offhanded gesture she cast the spell again, looking quite delighted at the sight of the silk on fire. She started forward into the open area, when Tanc threw out a hand and stopped her.

“Let me go first” he said, “remember the larvae are almost worse than the moths themselves.” he moved cautiously forwards, and shot an arrow into the pile of smelling, burning silk. The arrow smoothly penetrated the silk, and promptly disappeared. Tanc made a noise of irritation and started forwards to further check the silk, only to have Nera throw out a hand and stop him.

“Allow me” she said smugly, waving one hand in the direction of the silk. Behind them, Silver chuckled, having recognised the gesture. A minute later, Tanc too realised what Nera was doing – her Mage Hand spell easily lifted the silk out of the way, revealing several undeveloped larvae, also dead. Satisfied that it was safe, they all, save Lester, moved forwards and collected the ivory mandibles from the dead moths. Previous experience had shown that the ivory of these moths was extremely valuable, even more so that of the fully developed larvae. The three of them stood up and looked around as Lester moved forwards and joined them.

“Should we not have heard from Rifus? he asked. Silver nodded, and held up one hand for silence as she spoke to Rifus

“Rifus, where are you?”

“In the tunnel, it's turned into a vertical shaft. What's going on with you?”

“We, well, Nera, got rid of the moths down here, she cast Fireball a couple of times. What can you see?”

“Actually, it's opened into a room now – wow, that's a lot of moths.”

“How many-”

“And I can see an archway on the other side of the room.”

“Rifus, how man-”

“Could be tricky getting across, I can't get through without bumping into some of the moths”

“Rifus!” Silver finally snapped, “get back down here so we can talk this over. I'm sick of having to relay everything.”

7. - Top - End - #67

I don't have my story done yet (Entitled "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!" (Or: When Clever Plans Backfire Hard), but the pic in this spoiler is Endeca. That Intellect Devourer is her familiar, Snuggles.

Spoiler
    Show

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Awesome

Wait. She has an Intellect Devourer as a famailiar? And she called it Snuggles?

Oh, this is gonna be good...

9. - Top - End - #69

"ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!"
    Or: Too Clever for His Own Good

Spoiler
    Show
    My name is Hathar, and I'm one of the few people to have survived long-term exposure to Hatch - sorry, Endeca. I called her Hatch when I met her because she was just a child. Still is, in a lot of ways. Always will be.

The thing about Hatch is...well, it isn't that she's stupid or slow. Hatch has a mind that runs like it's on fire, skipping and skittering from idea to idea, chewing up complex arcane formulae and spitting out improvements like it was child's play. Endeca knew where to put a fireball and how best to utilize the ability to fly. The problem with Hatch is that she's innocent like a child is innocent. She doesn't understand that bad things happen. She doesn't even really understand half of what she does when she scorches "the bad guys" into carbonized cinders or turns them inside-out or accidentally banishes them to horrific nightmare dimensions that might only exist in their minds. She lets spells run out of control just to watch them go and giggles and laughs at the results in that bell-like voice of hers that makes whatever horror she's just unleashed so much worse. She's not evil. She's not mean. She just doesn't comprehend that she might be hurting people. If she actually knew, I think it would break her heart.

I'd taken Hatch under my wing after finding her in a set of old ruins I'd been exploring, having been initially surprised by a hypnotic pattern she'd set into place to show me the swirling colors and pretty lights. We ended up blundering into an extraplanar portal in the basement, and from there our adventures took us to meeting our companions and our foe, the Archlich Brian Zeli.

In the final confrontation, I am shamed to admit that I was pinned to the wall, unable to act because I was frozen in place by a thick coating of soverign glue. As my compatriots battled Zeli's minions, Endeca confronted him in a great duel of magic on a stone walkway high above the crater to a volcano, elemental shields sparking and shimmering as they dispersed the heat and poison fumes.

Every spell Endeca cast was countered or blithely ignored, ricocheting wildly off of Zeli's shields and into the night sky above. Growing more and more frustrated, Endeca hurled spell after spell, hoping to dispel his wards or else hammer her way through them and crush the frail undead behind. Zeli laughed as he undid her magics and toyed with her, standing on the walkway without a care in the world.

Suddenly, Endeca stopped and regarded the lich thoughtfully, and began to dig through her spell component pouch with great care. Laughing, Zeli called out, "All of your spells have failed to affect me thus far, whelp! What makes you think this one will fare any better?"

"ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!" came the resounding cry as Endeca pulled forth a fistful of random components and bit down hard on them. I tried to cry out for Hatch not to do it, but it was too late; the spell-weaving was already whipping up around her like an angry storm and running out of her control. Hatch spat out the components and stomped on them, gleefully playing with strands of raw arcane energy that scorched her fingers and made her hair stand on end even as sparks and lightning bolts flew between the metal on her person.

"Fear the mighty power of my...."

The spell had finally come undone, snapping apart in a great flash of light that left Endeca holding a masterfully crafted silver spoon. All signs of battle stopped as she squeaked out, "Spoon?".

Casually, Hatch tossed the spoon over the walkway, thinking it worthless. Zeli screamed a desperate no and leapt over the side after it, and learned something very important - not all of Hatch's dispels had failed.

The lich could no longer fly. He hit the lava just after his phylactery, cleverly hidden as a simple piece of silverware.

Turning to the rest of the battle with puzzlement on her face, Endeca finally asked, "Should I have kept that?"

My extended homebrew sig

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I LOVE IT!!!!

spoon?

hahahahahahahahhahhah

this has inspired me to write the first (and unfortunately, so far only) installment of 'gohk and grok'

the tales of a gnome paladin...... and an ogre ranger...

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I give you.....

the first installment of gohk and grok

its REALLY long so heads up

*slight note: Grok is not a typical DnD ogre, he, and his clerical counterpart Torg, are drawn almost exclusively from Warhammer Fantasy fluff, as such, Grok stands slightly taller, and MUCH MUCH heavier, than the typical ogre
    also, he worships "the great maw" an ogre diety of hunger who is worshipped by killing and eating.

Spoiler
    Show
    The first installment, of gohk and grok

Gohk and grok… are an odd pair to say the least. Gohk is a gnome paladin, a paladin who’s quite full of himself in fact, he swaggers about wherever he goes. (this may have been what caused him to land his current and ongoing assignment) that assignment being ‘babysitting’ the city’s resident Ogre, grok. Grok, is unique amongst the ogres, he was found in the woods as a child by a grey render, and was raised/protected by it. From the grey render, Grok learned protective behavior and the ability to latch onto someone in a (mostly) beneficial way. Many years ago, a wizard of the city encountered the grey render, it had been wounded and grok, still rather young at the time, was picked up by the wizard and led back to the city, the wizard felt that grok’s protective and slightly un ogrery nature could be cultivated and put to use for the city… several years have passed since this time.

Since being brought to the city, grok has become a … if not ‘loved’, at least ‘usually likeable’ fact of life for the towns people, he has been trained not to eat the average citizen (at least not without permission) and has also learned (sorta) to keep the amount of collateral damage down, however, whenever he becomes excited, he still has a tendency to knock over buildings.

The leadership of the city has put grok to use in several official functions, including as a method of public execution against those guilty of treason, or monsters that attempted to attack/invade the city. He also makes an excellent detterent against invasion from other cities/nations. As he is turned into a living warmachine during times of war, often carrying a ballista and a great mattock capable of tearing down the mightiest of fortresses, however, it is expensive to maintain Grok’s wartime equipment, so he usually only travels with a great Morningstar and a battle axe. Grok is fanaticaly loyal to his ‘friendly little talky men’ and the city as a whole, it is his home. It also fulfills the habit he picked up from his surrogate grey render parent, he has something to protect, and will violently maim, kill and eat (not necessarily in that order) anything that threatens it..

All this being said, Grok isn’t an ‘evil’ person, or creature, he simply follows his natural inclinations to worship his chosen diety, and to assuage his eternal hunger. He’s not even that dangerous to have around…. Provided of course, that he’s pointed safely at enemy lines. (all those banners and colors confuse grok sometimes, and he doesn’t recognize every soldier in the city on sight)

Our narrative picks up with gohk and grok being summoned by the ruler of the city, to follow up on rumors he has heard about an approaching orc army…..

THUMP THUMP THUMP!!! THUMP THUMP THUMP!!!
    Gohk groaned and rolled over, trying to blot out the noise, Grok, as usual, snored on, ignoring the discomfort. THUMP THUMP THUMP!!! A man standing outside the door yells “Ghok!, the count wants to see you and Grok Immiedietly!!! THUMP THUMP THUMP. Groaning in complaint, ghok rolls off the bed and, for the 30th time, forgets he has the top bunk, and crashes to the ground, after bouncing of Grok’s belly, finally wakening him. Grok struggles to his feet, demolishing the bed in doing so (after having this happen the 5th time, the royal carpenter/masons came up with a bed designed to break in sections, so that it could easily be repaired, and yet sturdy enough to hold the emmense ogre). After struggling from his undignified heap on the floor, Gohk looks up at Grok and says “well com’on then Grok, mister big man in charge wants to see us.” With a rumbling voice like boulders down a mountain top, grok replies “fancy talky man need grok?” scratching his huge gut absently. “yes grok, Fancy talky man needs to see us”. Gohk then turns on his heel and swaggers from the room, followed by the thundering footsteps of his half ton companion.

After arriving at the “Head Talky Man”s court, Rosenthal, informs them of the rumours his scouts and rangers have been bringing him, an orc army may be on the move in this direction, but he needs confirmation, and gohk and grok are just the two people that can get close enough to the hoarde to confirm this, whilst still escaping with their lives. ‘before you leave’ Rosenthal says, ‘I need you to fetch me noble Richards, he and I- Rosenthal is cut off by Grok standing up straighter and bellowing “GROK FETCH TALKY MAN” and bolting from the room, causing a resounding BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Throughout the castle. – grok no wait! The entire court cries

But it is far to late, grok is very enthusiastic and already out of range of their cries, with an exasperated sigh, Gohk begins to swagger as quickly as possible after his companion, but realizing Grok will be back before he makes it to the front gates, he comes to a stop and gives the king an apologetic shrug.

Meanwhile, out in the city streets
    BOOM BOOM BOOM, everybody in this section of town is familiar with the signs of an impending enthusicastic ogre, and quickly scurry out of the way. Grok thunders through the merchant quarter and into the nobles quarter, where he quickly locates the Richards household… and begins the process of retrieving noble Richard… by promptly smashing down a good segment of the first floor wall. he finds Noble Richard in his living room, (which was thankfully, just next to the room demolished by Grok)
    Grok informs Noble Richards (and most of the surrounding countryside) “FANCY TALKY MAN WANT TO TALK TO TALKY MAN, TALKY MAN COME WITH GROK” so saying he (VERY GENTLY) picks up noble Richards, and begins his thundering path back to the king’s court….

BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!
    Grok thunders through the castle, making his way back to the throne room. Upon his arrival grok sets down noble Richards very gently and announces to the court, in a voice like rumbling thunder “grok fetch little talky man!” and then moves off to the back of the room, and begins adjusting the straps holding the giant metal plate over his gut. With a rather chagrined look, Rosenthal asks noble Richards “how much this time?” with a rather bemused expression upon his face, Richards replies “not much milord, only the front wall this time, a major improvement if I say so myself”.
    The talky men then began to discuss matters of state, and Grok quickly stopped paying attention, only devoting enough of his mind to recognize hearing his name, and otherwise thinking about how hungry he is.

After a few moments, Gohk appears in the door way and beckons grok to come with him… they proceed back to their room, where Gohk instructs Grok to grab all his “worshiping things” and come with him. They have orcs to kill…..

next time, I'll cover the 2nd half of this installment, the fight with the orcs. or "gnomes with lances make excellent guided javelins"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

I love these. They really made my day better especially considering I lost my hat somewhere. Keep it up!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

The spell had finally come undone, snapping apart in a great flash of light that left Endeca holding a masterfully crafted silver spoon. All signs of battle stopped as she squeaked out, "Spoon?"
    A spoon?! Oh that's priceless she sounds cute, but scary.

and has also learned (sorta) to keep the amount of collateral damage down,
    Teehee, this made me laugh. I love the idea of the big, lovable clumsy ogre.

Thoroughly enjoyed them both. And Traveler, I hope you find your hat

My own latest attempt, also rather long. Some backstory for Silver that I can't show the rest of the group, because it touches on an aspect of her past that they don't know about.

A Change of Name

Spoiler
    Show
    I hurt. Why do I hurt? Why was I even here? Where was here? My pain-fogged brain couldn’t seem to get past ‘I hurt’ to give me an answer. I forced my eyes open, squinting until the room came into focus. Pain wasn’t an unknown thing to me. I am a dancer, trained in the best elven tradition. I was used to tripping, stumbling and falling into the barre when learning a new dance. I was used to the ache of tired muscles. But this felt different. For one thing, it wasn’t my leg muscles that hurt. My abdomen was screaming fire at me, and my palms felt like they’d been shredded. I tipped my head sideways to get a better look at my hands, turning them palm up. They were shredded. Shredded with tiny crescent moons, all steadily oozing blood. Crescent moons? I’d done this to myself?

That triggered a flood. To yourself. To yourself. You’ve done this to yourself. Yourself. Yourself. yourselfyourselfyouryourselftoyourselfselftoyourse lf… Suddenly the pain was in my chest, and I couldn’t breath. Desperately I lifted my head and forced out words through the dryness of my mouth

“Where is-“

“Don’t worry about that now.” My mother’s voice, from somewhere above me. “It doesn’t matter. Rest” that last was issued with voice my mother used when she expected to be obeyed. It was a response so deeply ingrained in my psyche that I laid my head down without another further word. I could hear my mother’s voice above me, floating over my head. The light faded as a hand swept over my face, came back again as the hand moved on. Pressure landed briefly on my forehead, my mother’s hand holding something.

“Rest Nadriene” she told me. And I obeyed, sinking immediately into the soft oblivion of trance.

~~~~~~~

I awoke later, and simply lay still and silent for a time, enjoying the quiet. I couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong though. Something that should have been present, next to me. No. Someone. Two someones.

“Lianna? Lianna, where is my-?”

“Lianna is not here.” My mother’s voice again, cold as always when she spoke of Lianna. “She left.” My heart slammed into my throat. Lianna had gone? That was – impossible. Incomprehensible. She would never just leave me. She had been here for almost a year, the full nine months. Enduring patiently the stares and cruel words of my family. And that…

“Mother, where is-?”

“Enough Nadriene” she cut me off. “You need to rest.”

“I am done resting!” I snapped, finally getting angry. I shifted in the bed, pulling at the sheets to give me balance as I pulled myself into a sitting position. The bed smelled clean and crisp, warring with the remembered scents of blood and sweat and tears.

“Where. Is. My. Baby?” I bit off each word, furious. I never even saw the slap that rocked my head back, but I saw the look on my mother’s face as she came into view. She was mad. Beyond angry. Beyond furious. It must be her I get my temper from.

“Do not speak of that again” she said flatly, in the tone that said she would answer no more questions and I would be foolish to push her further.

I was foolish.

“Where is – it?” I choked on the last word, but if I could just be diplomatic, careful, maybe she would answer my questions. Throarlian was teaching me the nuances of diplomacy, it was time to see if the old elf knew what he was talking about. Mother glared at me, but seemed to realise that I would not just be silent. Would not be cowed by her disgust of anything not fully elven. Not this time.

“Lianna took it and left” she said shortly. “I don’t know why and I didn’t bother asking” she added, seeing me opening my mouth. That set me off. Not for a second did I believe my mother. Lianna wouldn’t do something like that, and my mother would certainly lie to me if it served her purposes. And it clearly served them to keep my baby from me. Because my baby isn’t fully elven.

“Which way did she go then?” I asked. I could follow her, find out what was going on. Mother looked at me with an expression, almost of pity.

“Nadriene” I am really starting to hate that name. “You need to rest. You must rest.” If I’d been thinking straight, I’d have recognised the threat in her voice, but her words had triggered my own fury.

“I don’t WANT to rest!” I yelled at her, “I want my baby and I want to know what you’ve done with my friend.” Mother’s dark green eyes flared and I knew I’d pushed her too far.

“The thing has gone. We will not destroy life, but we will not permit dilution. It will be left with others” she sneered the last word. Others. The Domoth word for ‘anyone who isn’t an elf’. My people were blind. I was blind. Blinded by inarticulate rage. Mother’s expression didn’t change, but she beckoned to someone hovering in the doorway. My cousin – Naeren. He walked in, stretching his fingers as he came to stand beside my bed.

“She needs to be quieted” he said mildly. Oh how I hated him.

“I do not want her hurt” oh, now she gets maternal. Naeren nodded, and leaned over towards me. I leaned away instinctively, not sure what he was about to do, but sure I wouldn’t like it. His long fingers, strong and calloused from using a longbow reached out for my neck. I went wild. I hissed and spat on his face, scratched his face and screamed in his ear as his hands wrapped firmly around my throat. I gagged and choked and howled – impotent and unavailing. I might as well have been the sea that slams uselessly against the rocks of the island. Naeren is stronger than I, he always has been. I felt my vision greying out, and instead focused my last piece of strength on his hated face, and spat my hatred into his face

Bastard

~~~~~~~~~~

I hurt. Why do I hurt? Why does my throat hurt?

Naeren.

My cousin, not a bastard in the technical sense of the term, but one in every other sense, had failed to understand one very important thing when he obeyed my mother and choked me into unconsciousness. I am tougher than I look. Thanks to my training as a dancer, I have endurance beyond what most elves are capable of. And most elves underestimate me. Right now it was going to save me.

I’d be damned if I was going to stay here a moment longer. They all expected me to simply shut my mouth and accept the determination of my family. They were the fools if they really believed that I would. Jerik had pinned me, had held me in the dance studio, had caused all of this. My family were determined to finish it. I was determined that it would not end here. Not now. Not like this.

There was a child out there, a – damn. Tears filled my eyes as I realised I didn’t even know if the baby was a boy or girl. Still, they would have something of me in them. Some mark I could use to recognise my own. I would find Lianna, and I would find the child. My family – they could stay here, in seclusion, in isolation. I would learn to survive without family. Men couldn’t be trusted. Elves couldn’t be trusted. Nadriene have to die; she would not survive on her own.

I am not an adult yet, but I will become one. I will choose my own name, one that no one may take from me. A name that ties me to the history of my people, when they were not so cold or unfeeling as they are now. A name that speaks to my new identity – I am a dancer. I will return to the Arieathus and insist on finishing my course. I will become – Arinatria. The silver dancer.

I am Arinatria Siannodel.

Now. How the hell do I get out of here?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

loveable?
    I most definitly have never thought of grok as 'lovable'.

though I suppose 'lovable' may be an appropriate term for him. as far as HIS townspeople go....

lovable is most definitly NOT a word used by the orcs or other towns who have had the misfortune of watching him fight, or even greater misfortune of fighting him.

anyways =]

excellent work as always lady moreta.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Man this is an awsome thread!

I love the character of Silver and would like to hear more tales with her in them. You just make her come to life.

I need to write some of my character stories down as well.

Good Job all.
    The Bard's Song
    Carpe DM! (Seize the Dungeon Master!)
    "If you help their Verse you'll just make things Worse"
    Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    May not operate a travelling kitchen since not all wandering monsters taste like chicken, even if we do add garlic.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

loveable?
    I most definitly have never thought of grok as 'lovable'.
    Maybe 'cute' is a better word then

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_Wing View Post
    Man this is an awsome thread!

I love the character of Silver and would like to hear more tales with her in them. You just make her come to life.
    Thank you it's good to know all the practice is paying off.

I need to write some of my character stories down as well.
    Yes, you absolutely should!

I have written another one, but it's on my laptop so I'll have to wait til I get home to post it.

17. - Top - End - #77

Innocence
    Or: When Evil is not
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was not turning out to be a good night for anyone except, perhaps, Hatch, who was sleeping the deep sleep of the innocent on her camp mat. She'd almost persuaded us to pitch real tents before Es reminded us that we needed to cannibalize them for patch-work on our clothing. The spare cloth had been burned in our last battle when Endeca used its satchel as a holder for her alchemist's fire.

The newest edition to our group was some manner of experimental construct - a clockwork man, ticking and clicking near us. I didn't like him. I still don't - too cold. Too unreal. Dedicated to his god, certainly, and capable of great feats of prowess in battle thanks to his faith. But his heart beat to a wizard's march, not to Mother Nature's. He was staring at Hatch, glass eyes unblinking.

She killed three innocents with that maneuver.

"I know," I said wearily. "She usually does. I was happy at merely three, to be honest. May they rest with the Goddess until rebirth comes."

She has done this before?

"Often, Pendulum. Very often. She doesn't mean to. Hatch doesn't even know what she's doing, half the time. I don't even know what she's doing half the time. Thank the Lord of Might that she hasn't had an episode in weeks. The last one leveled an entire village. Two hundred lives, gone in less than ten seconds, and there's Hatch, blinking at the ashes and proposing to make mud pies the moment she finds a riverbed that isn't dry and scorched."

Hatch turned in her sleep and moaned pathetically, and I had to resist the urge to touch her shoulder and try to comfort her. Touching Endeca while she was sleeping provoked episodes.

She is sleeping, druid. Why do we not kill her and spare the innocent lives she would claim?

I gave Pendulum a good, hard look and spoke quietly, perhaps more harshly than I had intended to.

"Pendulum, you see before you a rare being. An innocent. A real innocent. Not a naive mortal waiting to have the veil torn from her eyes. Innocence isn't like that, really. It's forged from horror, and pain, and desperation, and the bright, fierce, hope that tomorrow will bring something different. Something better. I don't know what happened to Hatch, but she doesn't deserve worse. She needs help, crusader. Not murder."

Surely the same can be said of the residents of that village?

"Would your god damn them solely for having been murdered, crusader?"

"I'm not going back!"

I was at Hatch's side in an instant as she bolted upright, making shushing noises and speaking softly in Elvish. I didn't quite understand her dialect, but mine was evidently comprehensible to her, for her panicked breathing slowed down, then settled back into sleep.

"Pendulum, my people do not sleep naturally. Endeca has gone through much pain and training to violate our physiology in such a manner, and the only reason for her to do so would be to escape her past. To forsake her being entirely. Something happened to her, four years ago, that has completely redefined her, to the point where the girl she was before does not exist. That girl is dead. But do the gods know that? And should we really leave the choice to them?"

The gods are righteous.

I looked at Hatch's face, troubled in sleep as it never was when she woke.

"Are they?"

My extended homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Innocence
    Or: When Evil is not
    "Pendulum, you see before you a rare being. An innocent. A real innocent. Not a naive mortal waiting to have the veil torn from her eyes. Innocence isn't like that, really. It's forged from horror, and pain, and desperation, and the bright, fierce, hope that tomorrow will bring something different. Something better. I don't know what happened to Hatch, but she doesn't deserve worse. She needs help, crusader. Not murder."
    Ouch. Just - ouch.

That was fantastic.

I love the above quote. Brilliant piece of writing. Wish I could write that - inspirationally.

She's so very - pathetic, in a terrifying way. It breaks my heart, and at the same time makes me want to stay very far away from her. I have the highest esteem for the druid telling the story (whose name I'm afraid, I have forgotten). I think I want to hug him more than her.

Wonderful piece Gareth, beautifully emotional.

19. - Top - End - #79

Sadly, I seem capable of that only when dealing with messed up characters. The druid, incidentally, is a Jungle Elf named Hathar.

If folks are interested, I can continue with some 'Deca snippets, but posting them is making me want to play her again >.>

And I lost the stats for CHAOS DIMENSION

My extended homebrew sig

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Sadly, I seem capable of that only when dealing with messed up characters. The druid, incidentally, is a Jungle Elf named Hathar.

If folks are interested, I can continue with some 'Deca snippets, but posting them is making me want to play her again >.>

And I lost the stats for CHAOS DIMENSION
    Hathar! That's right. Because the first time I read it I thought of Hathor. I watch too much Stargate.

Oh please sir, can I have some more? I don't want you to feel lonely for her, but I think I'm in love

Also, the chaos dimension is hurting my eyes

And finally, my latest snippet...

The Fire Elemental
    or Uh-Oh...

Spoiler
    Show
    The fire elemental. We forgot about the fire elemental. Well, no, we didn’t really, we just weren’t expecting it to turn up now. I think we’d all been hoping it would stay out of the way until we’d taken care of the senior mages. So much for that grand plan. The others are right behind me, waiting for me to say something to get us out of this. Trouble is, I’m not sure if a fire elemental can be bluffed. No time to worry about it now woman, it’s time.

I cast a glance over my shoulder, twisting my features into an expression of fear and some loathing. Done partly to begin the illusion that we were being chased, and partly to ensure Lester was far enough behind us to make the ruse believable. He was behind us, sword in hand; his own face showing a righteous anger. Not bad. I filled my lungs with air and let loose a scream, all terror and rage and anger and hatred – it was a thing of cold beauty.

“The paladin!” I cried, “the paladin is chasing us!” it seemed a trifle overdone, but I doubt very much that fire elementals are particularly sophisticated. The elemental stared down at me from a very great height. Good goddess, that thing is massive – and hot. Very hot. I waved my hands in its face, trying to draw its attention to me and not the others.

“The paladin!” I screamed into its face, “he’s right behind us! Do something!”

Those appeared to have been the magic words for the fire elemental charged so suddenly I had only enough time to throw my hands over my face for protection before it was past. A series of higher and lower pitched yells and curse words told me the others were being similarly singed.

It went straight for Lester, who raised his longsword and gave vent to a mighty roar.

“Back foul creature!” he roared, in what I can only describe as a ‘great voice’.

And yet, this entire ruse was planned to get us close to the mages, not the flaming fire elemental. None of us, Nera included, had ever intended for Lester to go toe-to-toe with the elemental on his own.

“I am here to take these evil creatures and chastise them!”

Well, that was unexpected. That man can really yell when he puts his mind to it. More importantly, I knew now what he was doing. Exactly what the plan was for. He was giving us the time we needed. Fear wasn’t so difficult to feign this time as I grabbed Tanc’s tunic and pulled hard.

“Come on! While he’s distracted. Let’s go!” I raised my voice effortlessly into the higher registers of pure terror. Tanc stared at me, his expression hard and fierce. I gave him a quick nod and jerked my head towards the door I assumed now led into the kitchen. He pulled his disguised face into what I assume was meant to be an expression of fear, but which had me desperately trying not to laugh. He saw me trying not to laugh and grinned at me. Then he winked and disappeared.

He’d warned us about this new trick of his, but my it was something to see. Any shadow he’d said, and he could disappear. Just a little trick he’d picked up from our sojourn on the Plane of Shadows. Neat trick.

We shoved through the open doorway together, it was unintentional, but served to give the impression we were fighting each other to reach safety. Rifus stumbled forwards into the room before catching himself, while I grabbed the doorway and yanked myself to a halt just inside. I have no idea where Tanc was, but I felt something brush my sleeve heading towards the wall.

There was a mage standing in the opposite doorway. He said nothing at first, just stared at us, looking somewhere between exasperated and disgusted.

<Rifus says it’s the same guy from upstairs. The one who nearly killed Tanc.> Nera’s voice came directly into my head. I stared at the mage, who stared right back at me. I gulped, glanced down at my feet, then lifted my head again. Message received.

“The paladin” I gasped, letting my head drop and bending double as if out of breath. “He- he found us, is chasing us. The fire elemental...”

Still nothing. The mage gave Rifus a disgusted look as he staggered and stumbled forwards, with much looking his shoulder in fear.

“Get upstairs and get out” he snapped finally. “You shouldn’t be here anyway.”

I nodded, quickly urgently, no desire to argue here. None at all.

“May-” I stopped cast a fearful look over my shoulder. “May we use the stairs?”

He glared at me with such anger I felt suddenly relieved that the woman whose face I was wearing was already dead. If we somehow failed, I wouldn’t want to be her.

“The belltower stairs. Now.

No mistaking the menace in that voice. I backed up a step, facing the mage, but my eyes looked sideways – at where I thought Tanc was standing. The briefest flicker of movement. He nodded. He was ready. I turned and shoved at the others with my hands

“Go!” I said urgently. “Let’s go” hopefully Nera and Rifus have traveled with me long enough to realise that means ‘let’s go and let Tanc do his thing’.

We hastily backed out of the kitchen, moving towards the belltower staircase just to our right. I could easily imagine the smile on Tanc’s face. I had to imagine his predatory stalking, as he moved so quietly that I couldn’t hear him, even though he was right behind me.

The wall provided us with cover as I reached out and opened the door to the bell tower but didn’t go through. It was unlikely Tanc would take too long anyway. We waited in tense silence, listened to the mage huff exasperatedly and the sound of footsteps.

A grunt. A huffing of expelled breath. A thud. Another thud and a thump.

Finally, a low chuckle and Tanc’s voice

“Come on in guys.”

Rifus and Nera grinned at each other and me, turning towards the open doorway. I followed them, but as I did, my gaze fell on the hallway. There were scorch marks on the floor and walls as testament to the fire elemental’s passage; but nothing else. I stared down the way as if I could somehow divine what had happened here. I’d been so intent on making the mage believe every word I said that any sound from here had been completely blocked.

I recognised the sound of Rifus’ favoured weapon – his eldritch blast. I also recognised the sound of his favoured curse when it went astray.

I grimaced in the direction the fire elemental and Lester had taken and turned away to join my friends. Even as I went to join the fray, to finally rid the world of a group that definitely needed riddance, I couldn’t help but wonder aloud

“I hope we haven’t killed Lester.”

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Hathar! That's right. Because the first time I read it I thought of Hathor. I watch too much Stargate.

Oh please sir, can I have some more? I don't want you to feel lonely for her, but I think I'm in love

Also, the chaos dimension is hurting my eyes

And finally, my latest snippet...

The Fire Elemental
    or Uh-Oh...

Spoiler
    Show
    The fire elemental. We forgot about the fire elemental. Well, no, we didn’t really, we just weren’t expecting it to turn up now. I think we’d all been hoping it would stay out of the way until we’d taken care of the senior mages. So much for that grand plan. The others are right behind me, waiting for me to say something to get us out of this. Trouble is, I’m not sure if a fire elemental can be bluffed. No time to worry about it now woman, it’s time.

I cast a glance over my shoulder, twisting my features into an expression of fear and some loathing. Done partly to begin the illusion that we were being chased, and partly to ensure Lester was far enough behind us to make the ruse believable. He was behind us, sword in hand; his own face showing a righteous anger. Not bad. I filled my lungs with air and let loose a scream, all terror and rage and anger and hatred – it was a thing of cold beauty.

“The paladin!” I cried, “the paladin is chasing us!” it seemed a trifle overdone, but I doubt very much that fire elementals are particularly sophisticated. The elemental stared down at me from a very great height. Good goddess, that thing is massive – and hot. Very hot. I waved my hands in its face, trying to draw its attention to me and not the others.

“The paladin!” I screamed into its face, “he’s right behind us! Do something!”

Those appeared to have been the magic words for the fire elemental charged so suddenly I had only enough time to throw my hands over my face for protection before it was past. A series of higher and lower pitched yells and curse words told me the others were being similarly singed.

It went straight for Lester, who raised his longsword and gave vent to a mighty roar.

“Back foul creature!” he roared, in what I can only describe as a ‘great voice’.

And yet, this entire ruse was planned to get us close to the mages, not the flaming fire elemental. None of us, Nera included, had ever intended for Lester to go toe-to-toe with the elemental on his own.

“I am here to take these evil creatures and chastise them!”

Well, that was unexpected. That man can really yell when he puts his mind to it. More importantly, I knew now what he was doing. Exactly what the plan was for. He was giving us the time we needed. Fear wasn’t so difficult to feign this time as I grabbed Tanc’s tunic and pulled hard.

“Come on! While he’s distracted. Let’s go!” I raised my voice effortlessly into the higher registers of pure terror. Tanc stared at me, his expression hard and fierce. I gave him a quick nod and jerked my head towards the door I assumed now led into the kitchen. He pulled his disguised face into what I assume was meant to be an expression of fear, but which had me desperately trying not to laugh. He saw me trying not to laugh and grinned at me. Then he winked and disappeared.

He’d warned us about this new trick of his, but my it was something to see. Any shadow he’d said, and he could disappear. Just a little trick he’d picked up from our sojourn on the Plane of Shadows. Neat trick.

We shoved through the open doorway together, it was unintentional, but served to give the impression we were fighting each other to reach safety. Rifus stumbled forwards into the room before catching himself, while I grabbed the doorway and yanked myself to a halt just inside. I have no idea where Tanc was, but I felt something brush my sleeve heading towards the wall.

There was a mage standing in the opposite doorway. He said nothing at first, just stared at us, looking somewhere between exasperated and disgusted.

<Rifus says it’s the same guy from upstairs. The one who nearly killed Tanc.> Nera’s voice came directly into my head. I stared at the mage, who stared right back at me. I gulped, glanced down at my feet, then lifted my head again. Message received.

“The paladin” I gasped, letting my head drop and bending double as if out of breath. “He- he found us, is chasing us. The fire elemental...”

Still nothing. The mage gave Rifus a disgusted look as he staggered and stumbled forwards, with much looking his shoulder in fear.

“Get upstairs and get out” he snapped finally. “You shouldn’t be here anyway.”

I nodded, quickly urgently, no desire to argue here. None at all.

“May-” I stopped cast a fearful look over my shoulder. “May we use the stairs?”

He glared at me with such anger I felt suddenly relieved that the woman whose face I was wearing was already dead. If we somehow failed, I wouldn’t want to be her.

“The belltower stairs. Now.

No mistaking the menace in that voice. I backed up a step, facing the mage, but my eyes looked sideways – at where I thought Tanc was standing. The briefest flicker of movement. He nodded. He was ready. I turned and shoved at the others with my hands

“Go!” I said urgently. “Let’s go” hopefully Nera and Rifus have traveled with me long enough to realise that means ‘let’s go and let Tanc do his thing’.

We hastily backed out of the kitchen, moving towards the belltower staircase just to our right. I could easily imagine the smile on Tanc’s face. I had to imagine his predatory stalking, as he moved so quietly that I couldn’t hear him, even though he was right behind me.

The wall provided us with cover as I reached out and opened the door to the bell tower but didn’t go through. It was unlikely Tanc would take too long anyway. We waited in tense silence, listened to the mage huff exasperatedly and the sound of footsteps.

A grunt. A huffing of expelled breath. A thud. Another thud and a thump.

Finally, a low chuckle and Tanc’s voice

“Come on in guys.”

Rifus and Nera grinned at each other and me, turning towards the open doorway. I followed them, but as I did, my gaze fell on the hallway. There were scorch marks on the floor and walls as testament to the fire elemental’s passage; but nothing else. I stared down the way as if I could somehow divine what had happened here. I’d been so intent on making the mage believe every word I said that any sound from here had been completely blocked.

I recognised the sound of Rifus’ favoured weapon – his eldritch blast. I also recognised the sound of his favoured curse when it went astray.

I grimaced in the direction the fire elemental and Lester had taken and turned away to join my friends. Even as I went to join the fray, to finally rid the world of a group that definitely needed riddance, I couldn’t help but wonder aloud

“I hope we haven’t killed Lester.”
    first.......
    loving the little munchkin-child of epic magics
    love it love it love it

second.....
    the prismatic runes
    they ache........

third....
    I liked this snippet

fourth....
    birthday stuff permitting, I plan to type up either
    - part 2 of installment 1 of gohk and grok
    - origin of the skulltaker
    - origin of the smoulderbeard
    - backstory/origin of my cleric of khaine (which is the character I plan to play when I step down from DMing
    - backstory/origin of Valek Knifebeard
    - a concept that was inspired by Akherousia by draconian: a knight searching for his looking for his betrothed who simply vanished one night
    (don't ask WHY that song inspired the character...... it just did, I don't know why)

also
    Spoiler
    Show
    yes, I am aware thats a cliche..... but that is simply the summary of his character....there is... more -devil face-

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

third....
    I liked this snippet
    Thank you

fourth....
    birthday stuff permitting, I plan to type up either
    - part 2 of installment 1 of gohk and grok
    - origin of the skulltaker
    - origin of the smoulderbeard
    - backstory/origin of my cleric of khaine (which is the character I plan to play when I step down from DMing
    - backstory/origin of Valek Knifebeard
    - a concept that was inspired by Akherousia by draconian: a knight searching for his looking for his betrothed who simply vanished one night
    (don't ask WHY that song inspired the character...... it just did, I don't know why)
    That's - a lot of options. I'm stuck for inspiration again

And birthday stuff? is it your birthday?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Lady Moreta:

Your snippet about the backstory was lovely. Keep this stuff going!
    Assassin avatar by the awesome Elder Tsofu.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Thank you

That's - a lot of options. I'm stuck for inspiration again

And birthday stuff? is it your birthday?
    maybe I can unstick you again....
    what part has you stuck?

also, yes, it is indeed my birthday
    I try not to mention it..... but I was absent minded.....
    oopsies

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 0Megabyte View Post
    Lady Moreta:

Your snippet about the backstory was lovely. Keep this stuff going!
    Thank you It's nice to have a place to post the backstory for Silver, because she doesn't talk about it, and no one in the group she's with knows it happened. Meaning I can't show them. (We have a community on Epic Words, where the rest of the snippets have gone.)

maybe I can unstick you again....
    what part has you stuck?
    All of it Actually, part of it is the fact that I don't feel all that well, and haven't since Wednesday (and for those in a different timezone to me, it's now midday Friday). I think I pulled a muscle in my chest because it's really very painful Other than that, I've once again run into the wall called "what do I write about next?"

I kind of feel like doing some more of the full novelisation of the game, but for that I need the notebook I've been writing in, my game notes, and the sketch pad I'm using to map out the fights (because my notes are almost impossible to follow without some sort of visual aid). I can't do up the soldier reports for Lirrin, because once again, I need my game notes.

Current ideas:
    1. Lirrin writes another letter home - this time to her brother
    2. Backstory for Lirrin - why she left home and moved to the city (problem with this is that she has no backstory, so I'd have to make that up first
    3. More of Silver's backstory
    4. The Fire Elemental scene again, from Lester's perspective

Just struggling to find enthusiasm at the moment.

also, yes, it is indeed my birthday
    I try not to mention it..... but I was absent minded.....
    oopsies
    Well, happy birthday anyway I would make you a cake, but it'd get squashed in the mail

26. - Top - End - #86

I really would avoid the perspective swaps. No need to write Midnight Sun, now.

I'd love to see some background for Lirrin, myself.

Up and coming from Gareth:

Snuggles
    Or: You Can't Save Them All

Episodes
    Or: I Won't Go Back

Legendary
    Or: The Life and Times of Francis Quillen, the Sword Saint

My extended homebrew sig

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

I really would avoid the perspective swaps. No need to write Midnight Sun, now.
    You are probably right. I can't do it anyway, with the whole 'being at work' thing. But what the hang is Midnight Sun?

I'd love to see some background for Lirrin, myself.
    Done. the data entry I'm currently working on is mind-numbing, so I've been thinking about her and working out backstory in my head. I was planning to just go 'what do you want me to write?' and then you went and answered the question anyway!

28. - Top - End - #88

...I'm glad you've been spared the knowledge. Midnight Sun is a re-write of Twilight from THE DEMON - I mean, Edward's perspective. If you haven't read Twilight, don't. The author does not deserve your money.

Which of those three would you like to see written first - of the ones I suggested, that is?

My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #89
    Bugbear in the Playground

Stay tuned for

A Death in the Family

Or, How A Castillian Man Says Thank You
    Last edited by Marillion; 2010-10-01 at 01:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Which of those three would you like to see written first - of the ones I suggested, that is?
    Snuggles please I want to know how she ended up with an Intellect Devourer as a familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    Stay tuned for

A Death in the Family

Or, How A Castillian Man Says Thank You
    Oooh, is this another tale of Valiente Rafael Luis Zepata del Tor...? 'Cause I like him