New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default A moon-based character.

I'm a League of Legends player and I love Diana, The Scorn of the Moon.

A video for those who don't know who she is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7WSLWcACiw

I really wanted to reproduce a character who has the theme of the moon in more possibile aspects: spells, weapons, abilities, magic items, weapons.

Any suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: A moon-based character.

Shadowcaster (ToM) relabeled as Moon Caster wielding a Heavy Sickle (PlH). Maybe throw in a level or two of Warblade for some combat ability.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Moonwarded Ranger? Moon Domain Cleric?

Knowing Diana... Ranger would probably be the closest thing? Getting the tepelort could be sorta difficult.
    OH WAIT. Monk of the Dark Moon.
    Monk of the Dark Moon/Moon Domain Cleric/Sacred Fist.
    Sun School feat, Bind Soulmeld (Blink Shirt). Teleport as a standard action and bop someone in the face! Also pick up a Khopesh, it's her weapon and can be found in Sandstorm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sword of the Arcane Order Mystic Shooting star Ranger with Strong-Arm should do a decent job, although you need to dive through Dragon Magazine. Also grab favored enemy (arcanists) to represent fighting Leona's group?
    Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    I thought we were arguing whether Magic Missile could crank out Riemann sums...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There's Moon-warded Ranger substitution levels from Dragon Magazine. Trades out Combat Styles for things like wisdom to AC and DR, IIRC.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-10-28 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

You might want to look at some of the Dragonlance materials for spellcasting that is based off of lunar cycles. Handy dandy lunar calendar link.
    -------------∩____∩
    <:::::[]=0-|(• ◡•)| ノ\(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

Link/Triforce and Reinhard von Lohengramm avatars by the talented Kymme!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    There's Moon-warded Ranger substitution levels from Dragon Magazine. Trades out Combat Styles for things like wisdom to AC and DR, IIRC.
    Totally already said that.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

8. - Top - End - #8

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gorfnab View Post
    Shadowcaster (ToM) relabeled as Moon Caster wielding a Heavy Sickle (PlH). Maybe throw in a level or two of Warblade for some combat ability.
    How can I relabel a class? It's a rule from ToM or it should be an adaptation?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Moonwarded Ranger? Moon Domain Cleric?

Knowing Diana... Ranger would probably be the closest thing? Getting the tepelort could be sorta difficult.
    OH WAIT. Monk of the Dark Moon.
    Monk of the Dark Moon/Moon Domain Cleric/Sacred Fist.
    Sun School feat, Bind Soulmeld (Blink Shirt). Teleport as a standard action and bop someone in the face! Also pick up a Khopesh, it's her weapon and can be found in Sandstorm.
    I need to know in which manual are the following:

- Moon Domain
    - Monk of the Dark Moon (is it a class or a PrC?)

How can a monk wield weapons?

With the combo that u suggest, will I be able to teleport in front of the enemy and attack in the same round?

Quote Originally Posted by Venusaur View Post
    Sword of the Arcane Order Mystic Shooting star Ranger with Strong-Arm should do a decent job, although you need to dive through Dragon Magazine. Also grab favored enemy (arcanists) to represent fighting Leona's group?
    What is Strong-Arm? A feat, a variant?

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I've looked at this, seems great!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 451 View Post
    You might want to look at some of the Dragonlance materials for spellcasting that is based off of lunar cycles. Handy dandy lunar calendar link.
    Can u explain me how to use it? I don't know the Dragonlance Campaign Setting.

Anyway, thanks to all of you! I'm not so expert about D&D, I still need to ask a lot of things and there is a lot of material!
    Last edited by Heilmut Von L.; 2012-10-29 at 03:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Heilmut Von L. View Post

It isn't a rule or anything. The Shadowcaster has powers that would fit Diana, so you say your powers are from the moon and change some of the fluff.

What is Strong-Arm? A feat, a variant?

Strong-Arm is a variant that gives you a Two Hand Fighting over archery or two-weapon fighting. It gives Power Attack, Improved Sunder, and Great Cleave. It isn't amazing, but it makes more sense than archery or TWF.
    Actually, now that I think about it, Telflammer Shadowlord is what you are looking for. It lets you get a full attack any time you teleport.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, now that I think about it, Telflammer Shadowlord is what you are looking for. It lets you get a full attack any time you teleport.
    Oh that's perfect haha.

Um Monk of the Dark Moon is in Champions of Valor.

Moon Domain is in the same Dragon Magazine as Moonwarded Ranger I think.
    Oh there also seems to be one in the Spell Compendium, not sure if they are separate though.

Sun School gives you a few tactical maneuvers, one being that whenever you automatically move from one area to another (ie: dimension door, or the monk's abundant step ability) you can immediately make an attack.

Edit: Also, a monk can ALWAYS wield weapons, the problem is proficiency . Just pick up Exotic Weapon Prof (Kaorti Resin Khopesh) and bam, you have a 1 handed weapon that has an 18-20 x4 crit, and can trip.
    Orrr you may just want the Moon Blade spell from the Moon Domain.
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2012-10-29 at 05:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

It's still a Shadowcaster you just instead call it a "Moon Caster", basically just like calling a Rogue a "Thief" or "Scoundrel". Nothing changes except the name. You could go one step farther in the fluff and say the characters gets its powers from the Moon instead of from the Plane of Shadows.

12. - Top - End - #12

DrowGuy

Thanks for the Teflammar Shadowlord tip.

Strong-Arm is a variant that gives you a Two Hand Fighting over archery or two-weapon fighting. It gives Power Attack, Improved Sunder, and Great Cleave. It isn't amazing, but it makes more sense than archery or TWF.

Is it from Dragon #326? Sorry but it doesn't talk about the Two Hand Fighting... maybe u mean that those feats fit well for 2-handed weapons?

Oh that's perfect haha.

Um Monk of the Dark Moon is in Champions of Valor.

Moon Domain is in the same Dragon Magazine as Moonwarded Ranger I think.
    Oh there also seems to be one in the Spell Compendium, not sure if they are separate though.

Sun School gives you a few tactical maneuvers, one being that whenever you automatically move from one area to another (ie: dimension door, or the monk's abundant step ability) you can immediately make an attack.

Edit: Also, a monk can ALWAYS wield weapons, the problem is proficiency . Just pick up Exotic Weapon Prof (Kaorti Resin Khopesh) and bam, you have a 1 handed weapon that has an 18-20 x4 crit, and can trip.
    Orrr you may just want the Moon Blade spell from the Moon Domain.
    What # of Dragon? Thank u very much, lot of nice tips!
    Last edited by Heilmut Von L.; 2012-10-29 at 06:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the Teflammar Shadowlord tip.

What # of Dragon? Thank u very much, lot of nice tips!
    Um.
    #340.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can u explain me how to use it? I don't know the Dragonlance Campaign Setting.
    In the DCS magic is provided by one of three gods, who physically manifest as the three moons that orbit Krynn.

Each of these moons provides the raw magic needed to cast spells to adherents / followers of the three orders (based off of the color of the moon): White Robes (good aligned), Red Robes (neutral) and Black Robes (evil!).

You draw magic primarily from your affiliated moon. Because all the moons go through regular cycles in which their faces wax and wane, so too does the power or relative ease of casting.

You could just base all magic off of one moon if you aren't using DCS, but it does add to bookkeeping. I don't really know if it would add anything outside the setting, since all the wizards would have the same limitations and enhancements to spellcasting, making it a moot point. Unless some evil villain uncovers a way to cast without relying on the phases of the moon.....
    Last edited by Agent 451; 2012-10-29 at 08:04 PM.
    -------------∩____∩
    <:::::[]=0-|(• ◡•)| ノ\(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

Link/Triforce and Reinhard von Lohengramm avatars by the talented Kymme!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

(No flames, please.)

Warlock might work. Eldritch Blast for the ranged attack. Eldritch Glaive for the in-close. Come up with some nifty moom-themed invocations. Invisibility for flanking. Maybe pick up a couple Rogue levels for sneak attack. Sneak attack eldritch glaive large kopesh sounds nasty enough.

Aside: It looks like a kopesh, not a sickle, nor scythe. IMO
    "Rest in reason; move in passion." - Kahlil Gibram

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

races of eberron's moonspeaker is great for this, definitely check it out.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Is it from Dragon #326? Sorry but it doesn't talk about the Two Hand Fighting... maybe u mean that those feats fit well for 2-handed weapons?
    Yeah, that is exactly what I meant. It is way better than worthless archery or TWF feats on a character that doesn't use them.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, that is exactly what I meant. It is way better than worthless archery or TWF feats on a character that doesn't use them.
    But Moon Warded ranger gets rid of that useless progression in the first place.
    And btw OP, if you are going to play a Moon Warded ranger, play it until level 11. They get the ability that some take 8 lvls of slayer to get, quite a few levels earlier.

19. - Top - End - #19

DrowGuy

But Moon Warded ranger gets rid of that useless progression in the first place.
    And btw OP, if you are going to play a Moon Warded ranger, play it until level 11. They get the ability that some take 8 lvls of slayer to get, quite a few levels earlier.
    What r u talking about?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

What r u talking about?
    he's talking about this class which is actually illithid slayer, but they can't call it that because illithids are product identity
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

21. - Top - End - #21

DrowGuy

Thanks to all of you! I've got enough ideas for a decent reproduction

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

SolithKnightGuy

Use Shadowcaster and then Teflammar Shadowlord 4 and then more Shadowcaster. The Flicker mystery gives you teleportation.