New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Default Hellbred Ur-Priest

Would you allow a Hellbred of any alignment become a Ur-Priest using his Evil Exception ability to bypass the Evil requirement of Ur-Priest? Seems reasonable to me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Hellbred Ur-Priest

Well, by RAW, Evil Exception only applies to spells and items, but you could argue it.

The fluff suggests to me that good Hellbred Ur-Priests would be very difficult to justify. Ur-Priests reject the authority of the gods (especially the good ones) but Hellbreds are heavily indebted to them for a last-minute save. I could see a disillusioned Hellbred joining the Ur-Priesthood, but that wouldn't really be using his Evil Exception to enter, it would just be being evil.

So my roundabout answer is I'm not sure from either a rules or fluff standpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Aslong as you're using your Ur-priest powers to steal from Evil Gods, then sure, I suppose.
    Longtime lurker, Infrequent poster.

Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the guy would still have to be evil. Generalizing exceptions like that is sort of anathema to the concept of rules in general.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Yeah, the guy would still have to be evil. Generalizing exceptions like that is sort of anathema to the concept of rules in general.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. The rules are meant to create a framework for playing a game. Adding or removing rules does not alter the existence of a framework, it just changes the form that framework takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

I really don't see how it's that big of a stretch. He can easily take Spell Focus(Evil) and could easily pass as evil to fool an Ur-Priest into teaching him. Besides, why do Ur-Priests have to be evil anyway? Like someone mentioned above, he could steal from evil gods!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by barna10 View Post
    I really don't see how it's that big of a stretch. He can easily take Spell Focus(Evil) and could easily pass as evil to fool an Ur-Priest into teaching him. Besides, why do Ur-Priests have to be evil anyway? Like someone mentioned above, he could steal from evil gods!
    Ur-priests being evil is one of those rare cases of all the gods agreeing on something, since casters capable of stealing their power and using it more efficiently than their servants is a direct threat to their power-base.

By forcing them to be evil the good team gets a free pass to "off" them and the evil team garners no retribution from the good team for the same.

Innit nice when everybody gets along?

Note: the above doesn't strictly follow RAW, since by RAW alignment decides for itself who to tag and the gods don't get a say.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-11-14 at 08:36 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

The Evil requirement on Ur-Priest doesn't make any sense whatsoever, seeing as there are literally just as many Evil gods as their are Good ones. You could maybe argue that it's a Chaotic thing to do, but really... well, Law and Chaos are dumb. Mostly alignment shouldn't apply to the Ur-Priest at all.

As for the Hellbred, I'd generally allow them to treat all Evil-aligned things as "using Evil against Evil".

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Isn't there an adaptation for Ur-Priest that allows you to draw latent power of a dead god? Couldn't that open the path for different alignments?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Whammydill View Post
    Isn't there an adaptation for Ur-Priest that allows you to draw latent power of a dead god? Couldn't that open the path for different alignments?
    There is indeed that alteration. If it's not in the urpriest entry, it's in Lost Empires of Faerun. I don't think it says you could then play a different alignment, but that'd be a reasonable request.
    Probably a lot better than asking for hellbred, or saying you're a LE cleric of a dead LG god.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    There is indeed that alteration. If it's not in the urpriest entry, it's in Lost Empires of Faerun. I don't think it says you could then play a different alignment, but that'd be a reasonable request.
    Probably a lot better than asking for hellbred, or saying you're a LE cleric of a dead LG god.
    I believe in that case there's also a feat ("Servant of the Fallen" or something) that allows you to draw power from the aforementioned corpse-god, so I personally would rule that in exchange for doing so and dropping the Evil requirement, you have to take the feat. Basically replacing an alignment requirement with a feat requirement.
    Last edited by Alleran; 2012-11-14 at 10:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.