New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.X] De-Hydra [Creature] [Variant] [P.E.A.C.H.]

Dehydra
    As per Pyro/Cryo Hydra with the following changes:
    Environment: Desert

These yellowish hydras can breathe jets of magical dehydration which evaporate moisture from the body of each creature struck. These jets are barely visible as shimmers in the air. Each jet is 10 feet high, 10 feet wide, and 20 feet long. All heads breathe once every 1d4 rounds. Each jet deals 3d6 points of damage* (similar to the damage from Horrid Wilting) per head against most creatures. This breath weapon is especially devastating to water elementals and plant creatures, which instead take 3d8 points of damage per jet. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. The save DC is 10 + ½ hydra’s original number of heads + hydra’s Con modifier.

Dehydra's are immune to fire and thus fire attacks cannot prevent a dehydra’s stump from growing new heads. However applying at least one gallon of water to the stump, or any attack that would deal at least 1 point of acid damage to the stump (before considering resistances or immunities) prevents it from growing a new head.

Dehydra's are also immune to acid, but see above.

*This damage is dessication damage for anyone using that/those particular splat-book(s).

Just something that has been kicking around in my brain for a while. Trying to break out of a funk in my life overall, so I am doing this now.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2018-10-21 at 09:30 AM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.X] De-Hydra [Creature] [Variant] [P.E.A.C.H.]

Since these are a desert hydra breed, why don't they deal dessication damage?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    Since these are a desert hydra breed, why don't they deal dessication damage?
    They do. I just don't happen to own the desert splat-book, so I am not using that term.

I will rephrase, and put in a footnote for those who happen to own that splat-book.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2012-10-11 at 06:25 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Found this enjoyable. My one problem is that you've failed to clarify the notoriously ambiguous wording from the pyro/cryo-s.
    Each jet deals X damage per head. So 3 heads would deal a total of 9x(3d6) damage, and 4 would deal 16x(3d6).
    My Homebrew and Extended Signature
    Current avatar: Charza Sahlaren, by gr8artist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I like these.Alternative monster features are always good to surprise PCs who become jaded. Best of luck getting out of your funk as well.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I like these.Alternative monster features are always good to surprise PCs who become jaded. Best of luck getting out of your funk as well.

Debby
    Given that this was over a year ago, I'm out of THAT funk. OTHER funks occur with above-average frequency, but THAT funk is long gone.
    Extended Signature