New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Belril Duskwalk View Post
    If she is Mother Earth, or some manner of stone spirit, I also wonder if she actually appeared then as she does now, or if the appearances we see of her in the deeper past are merely a stand-in for whatever she actually looked like back then.
    Well, she probably didn't look like she does now back then... at first. But following my theory, once enough people believed that Mother Earth would look human, the world changed so she always looked like a human, all the way back to before humans themselves.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

Or perhaps that, seeing her, humans wanted to be like her, and so became like her.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Curse you, Tom Siddell
    Last edited by Mephit; 2012-11-10 at 11:00 AM.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavelcade View Post
    Or perhaps that, seeing her, humans wanted to be like her, and so became like her.
    MORBO SAYS: EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! ! !
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, which seems simpler, humans using the ether to retroactively make her look like them, even in her own memory, or humans using the ether to make themselves gradually look like her?

7. - Top - End - #847
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Third option: whatever force created her made her look human in anticipation of something she was meant to do during this brief period of time in which her form would make communication and the forming of emotional bonds important.

You know- the whole 'billions of years old' thing makes some of her earlier (well, okay, chronologically later) behavior a lot less creepy. If she's existed for billions of years she has little or no reason to bond with men, or help tribesmen with pesky buffalo, or work in the school for that matter. That she does speaks volumes that, despite her ageless nature, she has a sense of connection with humanity- even if her poise does not make this evident.

Or maybe I'm just reaching and she's just killing time until we all die out and she can go back to not having to deal with these irritating monkeys who think that just because we can communicate with her, she's interested in what we have to say.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, which seems simpler, humans using the ether to retroactively make her look like them, even in her own memory, or humans using the ether to make themselves gradually look like her?
    Even if that is possible in this universe, why didn't one of the innumerable earlier species do so? Why a Plains Ape of the African Savannah?
    There are other options as well. Time travel and/or the express intent of whatever created her and, depending on how you literally you read Ani's statement, the Earth, for example.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, there are. I'm not saying mine is right, I'm just putting it out as another solution which is a twist on already offered solutions. I don't get your reaction to this, I'll be honest.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, there are. I'm not saying mine is right, I'm just putting it out as another solution which is a twist on already offered solutions. I don't get your reaction to this, I'll be honest.
    Oh, my objections are less strenuous than my use of the Morbo meme may suggest.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I have nothing else to contribute. Carry on.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-11-11 at 05:38 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #852

Jean-Baptiste Lamarck says it does. Which are you going to believe, empirical evidence or a Frenchman?
    If it's not obvious, insert a after my post.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ettin in the Playground

Knew it! She doesn't feel emotions!

Or maybe she meant that she is made of carbon.

14. - Top - End - #854

Actually, what I noticed is she doesn't claim to not feel emotions, just to not feel strong, overpowering emotions. I would assume the idea is she does feel emotions (enough for things like friendship, affection, personal motivation), just extremely subdued.

Last panel: we have a title!
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #855

So it turns out ''Earth elemental'' might be pretty close or even spot on.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    Actually, what I noticed is she doesn't claim to not feel emotions, just to not feel strong, overpowering emotions. I would assume the idea is she does feel emotions (enough for things like friendship, affection, personal motivation), just extremely subdued.
    Meh. I prefer to think of her as emotionless.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, what I interpreted was less as no-emotions, or subdued emotions, but slow emotions. It takes a long time for her to feel anything, a bit like an ent.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

I just prefer the creepier more dark option.

Anyway: Yeah. This did indeed have even a short-term payoff.

We find out that jones has less/no emotions and it directly relates to her history!

This is also revelatory, and also raises more questions.

This is good. This is what I wanted. I just disliked the last arc where its like:

"Humans change magic!"

........And? So what? You could have as well said "My nipples are made out of lemonade" and It didn't change anything.

YesingrinpepepensDcjawhsakjsf or whatever had a freakout, but we didn't need to hear some backstory or such to allow for one.

Also wouldn't it be funny if GG pulled an adventure time on us and revealed that this was one huge story still being told by Annie when Coyote asks her to tell a story?

19. - Top - End - #859
    Troll in the Playground

I want to hug Jones to try to comfort her... but I doubt it would do any good. And I'm not even sure she needs comforting...

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    YesingrinpepepensDcjawhsakjsf or whatever had a freakout, but we didn't need to hear some backstory or such to allow for one.
    Would have been nice to have one to EXPLAIN why he's so mentally fragile.

20. - Top - End - #860

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Would have been nice to have one to EXPLAIN why he's so mentally fragile.
    You don't think Coyote repeatedly brain-wiping him might account for that?

21. - Top - End - #861

Quote Originally Posted by chionophile View Post
    "Wipe" is a light way of putting it. That chapter showed us that Yes's physical weakness mirrors his mental state.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-11-12 at 01:03 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

22. - Top - End - #862
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    "Wipe" is a light way of putting it. That chapter showed us that Yes's physical weakness mirrors his mental state.
    Both are Coyote's little 'gifts'.

He gave Ysengrim power over the trees. So Ysengrim used it to make himself a powerful suit of natural powerarmor... and then came to rely on it so much his own body withered away from disuse.

And Coyote's mental gift is so that Ysengrim has no regrets or self-doubts. Granted, it means Ysengrim never matures, but ... such is the nature of the Gift.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

23. - Top - End - #863

Zombie

People are really confused as to why Ysengrin is a basket case? Really? You didn't need the mind wipe part to see the problem. It manifested itself long before that.

His world revolves around Coyote, and the way Coyote treats him have always been abusive, and not subtly hidden abusive either. How could he not be one snap away from completely losing it? At this point, I'll take Zimmy's mental health to be in better shape than Ysengrin's.
    Last edited by fwiffo; 2012-11-12 at 06:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    So it turns out ''Earth elemental'' might be pretty close or even spot on.
    Why should fire feel love and earth feel nothing? No, I wouldn't say it's quite so easily sealed as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

25. - Top - End - #865
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chionophile View Post
    If someone were punching holes in my memories I'd be confused, uncertain, and really worried... but inclined to go into fits of psychotic rage during which I try to kill the closest thing to a friend and daughter I might have?

Don't think so.

Ysengrin apparently always disliked humans, but now it's become an overpowering hate. Something happened to him that is pushing him too close to the edge. It MIGHT be Coyote's gift is over-taxing his mind. It might have to do with his missing ear. It might be that when he learned Coyote's secret it caused him such mental distress he began to lose it. But something is really messing him up, and I don't think mind-editing is it.

It might be that Coyote is actually trying to help by removing memories that would break him...

26. - Top - End - #866

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    If someone were punching holes in my memories I'd be confused, uncertain, and really worried... but inclined to go into fits of psychotic rage during which I try to kill the closest thing to a friend and daughter I might have?

Don't think so.

Ysengrin apparently always disliked humans, but now it's become an overpowering hate. Something happened to him that is pushing him too close to the edge. It MIGHT be Coyote's gift is over-taxing his mind. It might have to do with his missing ear. It might be that when he learned Coyote's secret it caused him such mental distress he began to lose it. But something is really messing him up, and I don't think mind-editing is it.

It might be that Coyote is actually trying to help by removing memories that would break him...
    Part of it is that he blames the Court for Renard falling in love with Surma. That's probably a big chunk of it right there. It would be nice to know what happened to break his body, that will probably be covered in a later chapter (and I bet it's only a small part of his hate).
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2012-11-12 at 07:47 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Why should fire feel love and earth feel nothing? No, I wouldn't say it's quite so easily sealed as that.
    I called BS on Data being without emotions, and I call BS on Jones.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Well, you see, fire burns with passion, while earth, uh... revolves? With... apathy? Yes, yes, revolves with apathy, a phrase I totally did not just make up.
    Avatar by Tom Siddell, author and artist of Gunnerkrigg Court.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Well, you see, fire burns with passion, while earth, uh... revolves? With... apathy? Yes, yes, revolves with apathy, a phrase I totally did not just make up.
    Smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

30. - Top - End - #870
    Dwarf in the Playground

Even if that is possible in this universe, why didn't one of the innumerable earlier species do so? Why a Plains Ape of the African Savannah?
    Intelligence, right? It's imagination and will that allows humanity to unconsciously affect the Ether. That's the game-changer.